A lot to lose & over 40? Lets start a group(20 memebers max

Options

Replies

• katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    I'd like to jump in here and share a bit about myself. I'm 47 years old and originally from Atlanta. Two years ago, my partner's job transferred her to London, so that's where we are now!

I need to lose about 150 pounds, I've already lost about 35 of that. I have type 2 diabetes, which further complicates weight loss, as the medications can make it harder to get the pounds off. A few years ago, I lost about 75 pounds, then had to shoulder surgery and gained back most of what I'd lost.

After a number of attempts to lose weight, I finally realised that I had to change more than just the number of calories I was eating. I needed to change the way I live my life. I had to get over the fact that while there are some people who can eat nearly anything they want without a weight problem, I am not one of them. It also finally occurred to me that there is no food that tastes as good as the self-abuse I can dish out on myself for having eaten something that's not good for me.

So, I have made a number of small steps to get where I am now. I am happy to say that most of the time, I feel proud of myself for making healthy food choices as opposed to feeling deprived. My biggest challenges now are managing portion control and exercising. I find that it's far too easy to talk myself out of exercise. Although I am now in my second week of daily walking.

Well, that's it in a nutshell. It's been great getting to know eveyone.

katzpawz
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: Catching up with posts:bigsmile: ....I hope I didn't miss anyone. Sorry if I did.

Mollie :flowerforyou: - We have been friends for awhile on MFP and I have been following your journey I think you are doing such an awesome job with your staying under 2000 cals a day. I know you struggle with this!!! You are choosing so much better foods choices for yourself to stay under your goal. Don't you just hate it when you see a great fastfood deal for cheap prices...grrrrrrrrr! Fast food is so addicting Woot Woot on the staying away from the BBQ ribs also. Just like you said it shows how strong you have become.
    One last thing...I am in awe about your heading to the gym @ 5:15 in the morning before work and lunch time walks. Such dedication. You know I struggle and still haven't been brave enough to get to the YMCA gym to workout...even though I have a membership. I hope to be like you one day and just go and workout there.

ShellyBrew :flowerforyou: - Hope you had a great night sleep last night. Looking forward also to getting to know you better. LOL good job on getting to the gym after that beer and letting the eliptical and treadmill torture you.

katzpawz :flowerforyou: - Sorry my bad. I just cut your name short. I will post it as katzpawz form now on.
    WTG!!!! 2.6 mile in 51 mins is awesome. Hope you get to go walking tonight also.

gabbygirl :flowerforyou: - Awesome goals you have set for yourself. Being a nurse I am sure you are on your feet alot.
    Congrats on your 5lbs loss so far

Jojo :flowerforyou: - Giggles @ jojo...my bathroom is very much being visited by me at night also. Thanks for sharing some info about yourself, it is always nice to get to know new friends.
    WOW 9lbs loss is WOW..lol.
    P.S. Hope you are feeling better from your surgery. Take it easy on the exercising.

Cassie:flowerforyou: - LOL @ near the top of list. Thanks for sharing with us about yourself. I never lost the baby fat from my first pregnacy also and just kept adding on to it. Only difference is I gained 100lbs while I was pregnant. I was so young and nieve(sp?) why didn't my doctor tell me I was gaining too much weight. I just thought I could eat everything while I was pregnant and I would lose it all once the baby came. I was sure in for a shock!
    Congrats on buying your new scale I think it will be so much easier for you to stay on track now that you have one at home. WOOT WOOT congrats on your 1lbs loss. Great job on doing all the shopping also. It takes alot of us big ones to shop for hours.

About the people who ask about joining our group. Like I posted earlier I do personaly message each one and explain and apoligies that we are at our max membership. I think the locks you notice are for when threads get to page 20 (500 posts?) and lock up automatically and your thread goes to #2. So like at the end of page 20 at the bottom is says to click here to follow this thread..(something like that)

Hopeful :flowerforyou: - WTG!!! on losing 4lbs this week and a total of 18lbs is awesome. Great job on getting to that gym even if you hated it. 1200 calories I would feel like I am starving...I think mine is set @ 1500 and I still feel hungry most days.

milesbackwards :flowerforyou: - Excellent job on working out 4 times this week. 6.5 miles a day!!! WOW. Riding a bike is one of my goals to get to once I lose more weight. I want the snow to be gone also. I am sooo tired of winter.
    Thanks for having your diary open. I struggle with sodium also

jjustjo :flowerforyou: - Sorry to hear that those pounds are not leaving your body easier. Keep working on it. Maybe like you said go get a check up and see if something is causing this. Sounds like you have an awesome and challenging workout planned out for yourself.

CathyV:flowerforyou: - Thanks for sharing some of yourself with us. Looking forward to becoming great friends. I so agree with you we need to find a health way of eating..this will have to be for the rest of our lives. No fad diets on my menu. We are hopefully going to lose this weight and never put it back on again. Sounds like you have some health issues and I know losing weight can only help it. Wishing you the best. Lets do it!!!
    Awesome 5lbs weightloss!!! Sounds like you have a great sort of things you do fo r exercise. I always wanted to try a Richard Simmons exercises. How are they? Are they as fun as they look on tv?

MJ :flowerforyou: - Excellent weightloss this week WOW 4.5lbs. Great job on doing your walking also. Sounds like you have had a few injuries. Be careful but dont give up on your exercise. Right now my only exercise is walking and it is working for me also.

Christy :flowerforyou: - Sucks that your at a plateau. But I love you attitude about its just a bump on this journey and your body will give in soon. When I first started on MFP I didn't weigh-in everyday..but now I must confess I do weigh-in each day. Like you I don't freak about it and just post on my weigh-in day what the scales say that day.
    I would love to have a trainer. Lucky you. Great job getting to the gym to workout.
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Whew :love: taking a break and going to make some lunch

Wednesday Weigh-in/Exercise - I am so excited to say that I have lost 5lbs. Now to be honest this is from 2 weeks. I decided to recommit myself to MFP starting on March 1st and this is what it has given me back. Yaaaa!!! Thanks also to Mollie who inspired me to do this refocus on March 1st. I have been struggling since Xmas to get back on fire and focus on my weightloss. Now I feel like this is do-able and we can all reach our goals.:drinker:
    My exercise is basically to walk daily, from 1 - 3 miles. Most days I have met this goal.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, I love to see all the activity on our group and love to see the organization so far. This is going to be a good group.
    Wednesday Weigh In and Exercise day- Everyone post what there losses or gains were for the week. What have you been doing for exercise this week, DVDs, walking, gym etc and what you like about it what you don't like about it

My weigh in day is friday last week I lost 3 lbs. I usually do alot of walking, some bike riding, leslie sansone walking dvds and wii fit plus. I am going to start doing some resistance bands also. I am thinking about joining a gym but am not sure it would be worth my while with the fibromyalgia. I have a free 7 day pass for one that is close, I am thinking of using it next week and see how it goes. Hope everyone has a good, healthy, active week......
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Back again for a brief check-in. Lots of sharing again today. I love it!!! :heart:

@Christy - so sorry you have hit a plateau. Not sure if you have tried this or if it will help, but I have read some about "Calorie Cycling" on MFP and plan to give a shot when I hit a wall. You eat a different number of calories each day - like a low day, then a high day, then a medium day - to keep your body guessing. It is supposed to jump-start the metabolism, but as I said, I have not actually tried it yet. Whatever you do, just hang in there because your body will eventually respond! :flowerforyou:

@Cassie - congrats on the new scale & the 1# loss!!! You are doing great! :happy:

@Claudia - sorry about your work stress - hope it improves and hope your daughter gets well quickly! Just keep chugging that water - I know you can make your 12 glass!!! :drinker:

@Bigmomma - thanks so much for organizing this group. Also, thanks for responding to those asking to join. :flowerforyou:

@akaDumbo - so sorry about your pain, but you are bowling me over with the cycling - 52 miles??? Holy cow you are a machine!!! :smokin:

Catch up with you all later this evening/tonight.
  • mainey65
    mainey65 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh In: I don't wanna talk about it *sigh* I have not lost any weight for 5 weeks or more. It's so disappointing. I gain and lose a couple of pounds depending on the day, but that is all. I've tried everything I know to do. Eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, etc. I am considering seeing a doctor to have my thyroid checked. It runs in my family. I had such great success to begin with I didn't think I had a problem, but now I dunno...
    Exercise: 30-40 mins of cardio in the morning, then bike riding with my husband, who is diabetic in the afternoons. I've been alternating the treadmill 3.5 with an incline of 3%, with the elliptical machine. I like both equally well.
  • mainey65
    Options
    Weekly weigh In: I don't wanna talk about it *sigh* I have not lost any weight for 5 weeks or more. It's so disappointing. I gain and lose a couple of pounds depending on the day, but that is all. I've tried everything I know to do. Eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, etc. I am considering seeing a doctor to have my thyroid checked. It runs in my family. I had such great success to begin with I didn't think I had a problem, but now I dunno...
    Exercise: 30-40 mins of cardio in the morning, then bike riding with my husband, who is diabetic in the afternoons. I've been alternating the treadmill 3.5 with an incline of 3%, with the elliptical machine. I like both equally well.
    Jo.
    I've always had a hard time losing weight. I used to do step class 4 times a week and I'd run in the evening, but would never lole much weight. After complaining to the Dr. about this many times he finally checked my thyroid and guess what, you guessed it, it was underactive. So, after many tries at getting the meds right he said my blood work was good. However, I feel like this medication has actually made me gain weight. I don't know. You should definitely have it checked out though. Hang in there . I know how frustratingc as I'm sure we all do, when you don't lose anything for a few weeks. It will come. We are here for you.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, I love to see all the activity on our group and love to see the organization so far. This is going to be a good group.
    Wednesday Weigh In and Exercise day- Everyone post what there losses or gains were for the week. What have you been doing for exercise this week, DVDs, walking, gym etc and what you like about it what you don't like about it

My weigh in day is friday last week I lost 3 lbs. I usually do alot of walking, some bike riding, leslie sansone walking dvds and wii fit plus. I am going to start doing some resistance bands also. I am thinking about joining a gym but am not sure it would be worth my while with the fibromyalgia. I have a free 7 day pass for one that is close, I am thinking of using it next week and see how it goes. Hope everyone has a good, healthy, active week......

@Themommie,
    Congrats on 3 pound weight loss!:flowerforyou: I think you would enjoy the gym. If you can do Leslie, bike ride, etc you can find much to do at they gym. Starting off slow and gradual of course. They say exercising is good for Fibromyalgia. So if you have the funds I would do it. Since I do not want to waste my money I make sure I go 3 or more times a week. Healthclubs make their money off of people who do not go.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options

@Bigmomma - thanks so much for organizing this group. Also, thanks for responding to those asking to join. :flowerforyou:

Catch up with you all later this evening/tonight.

Ditto Linda!:flowerforyou:
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options

If you have a free pass you might as well try it for a week Sheri but make sure they dont try to push you into anything you are not comfortable with, walking cycling, swimming etc and any sort of stretching exercises are all good for fibromyalgia providing they are built up gradually but from what I have read on the subject you should avoid using any weights
  • mainey65
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone! I have to go back and read everyone's posts, as I can't right now. I'm having an already bad day at work and it's only 9am! Also, I didn't get any exercise in yesterday as my daughter is sick with the stomach flu YUCK! Anyway, just a quickie to say hello, and to let you know that my goal for today is to get in 12+ glasses of water in, I usually only get in 10.
    Claudia,
    Sorry to hear your having a bad day so eary in the am. Hope it gets better. Also sorry to hear your daughter is sick. Hope she is better soon. 10 glasses of water a day! That excellent! I'm working on getting in 8.
  • ShellyBrew
    ShellyBrew Posts: 823
    Options
    Wow...I just spent an hour going over the posts at work (don't tell my boss) :tongue:

Some about me...My name is Shelly (the Brew is the first part of my last name) and I am 42. Never been married and don't have any kids (unless you count my 16 year old kitty Chloe). I was born in Kansas but grew up in Denver, Colorado. I am a nurse going on 21+ years, mostly adult critical care. Was a travel nurse for 6 years, then lived in Anchorage, Alaska for 6 years (amazingly beautiful place) and finally moved to North Carolina in 2003 for a job outside the hospital doing teaching for a medical device company. The last 5 years I have moved to Clinical Drug Trial Research work so now sit on my butt in front of a computer most of the day. I have been overweight all my adult life, made many half hearted attempts at losing weight with minimal success. I have just slowly packed on 5-10 pounds every year until I hit my all time high of about #320 in 2009.

I love to travel (really i am a vacation addict) and had a few embarrasing experiences in 2009 due to weight issues and just being out of shape. I went on a catamaran trip in the Carribean and had a hard time getting around the small boat and could barely get my hips thru the door ways; I was also in alot of pain (muscle achyness). Then I went to Key West, we took a boat ride, took a dip in the water and I was almost unable to get back into the boat (it was a climb up and then my hips were an issue again)...a new friend of mine told me about her experiences with a personal trainer and it set a seed in my brain...When I got home from Key West I went to the doctor due to my muscle pain issues (which was new and so bad I could barely stand from a chair) and was eventually diagnoses with Psoriatic Arthritis (my first medical diagnosis)..took about 3 months but we found me some good drugs and the pain/symptoms are under complete control.

At that time I was in an aweful job, working 50-60 hours a week and not taking care of myself. In Aug 2009 I started a new job and right away started researching personal trainers. PT's are not cheap but I was determined; I interviewed alot of places and final joined a small private PT studio in Sept 2009 and was assigned to Brad (who was 23). It was so hard in the beginning as I was so out of shape. About 3 months in I had maybe lost 10 lbs total and was very frustrated; Brad had a sit down with me and a "come to jesus" talk about diet (which I had not been doing well on). Needless to say in Jan 2010 I got serious about both what I was eating and exercise and started losing weight. The ticket for me was having someone to be accountable to; Brad is a wonderful young man who has become a great friend; he never goes easy on me but supports me 100%. I lose weight super slow (always have) and if I slip just a little on my diet - forget sheading pounds.

It has been 1 1/2 years since the very start and I have lost about 45 pounds total. I have had many ups and downs but 2011 was the first year in forever that I started at a lower weight then the prior year :) I had a period from about Aug-Dec that I did not lose any weight; family issues, alot of traveling back and forth to home to take care of my Dad (who passed in Oct due to Alzheimers Disease) and then issues with my gym and loss of my trainer for awhile.

Wow this is long but I am almost done :bigsmile: ..... In Jan 2011 a friend recommended MFP to me (i was trying to use sparkpeople but it was overwhelming and just to much stuff); I joined a new gym (a real one) and am back with my PT Brad...It has been a struggle to break my 4 month plateau but I think I am close. I am mixing up the exercise and paying more attention to my diet/food choices...I will NOT give up this time, I am making a life style change and know that I will struggle with food/exercise all my life; I will always have to "pay attention"...but I know I can do it, especially with awesome support from others!!

So to wrap up...what I have learned
    * you have to move...no matter how much you hate it...exercise is part of the puzzle...I don't love exercise at all but do it 5-6x per week.
    * you have to pay attention to diet...for me portion control...you need to eat every 3-4 hours at a minimum (while awake).
    * Water, Water, Water....that is all I drink these days except for maybe 1 coffee in the AM

OK...:smooched: I am going to give you all a break and will be back later to do my Wednesday check in (plus I have to pee again do to all that darn water :grumble: )
  • charliebrowntx
    Options
    Hello Linda:
    I am very interested in joining your group if you still have room. I have struggled all my life with weight lose and I really need lots of support to keep me focused. I have a very busy schedule with a 14 yrs old son and a 9 yr old son and a husband that travels a lots. I have just started this journey again and would also love to share my support for others in a group. You are more than welcome to add me.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,022 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for all your encouragement. I will check into a couple gyms in the area and see what they have to offer and price, I think I would get a better workout at the gym......
  • Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

My daughter has fibro, she went gluten free last year and that has helped some (shedding 50lbs didn't hurt either). She uses the WiiFit Plus and is slowly starting to exercise again. She was on Lyrica (can't afford it anymore) and that helped her trremendously. Have you tried it? If so, did it work for you?

Be super careful (but you know that already) and take care. I wouldn't wish fibro on my worst enemy.
  • mainey65
    Options
    Hi everybody, Charmaine here from T.O. It's 5:30pm here and nice and sunny outside. I really should get up off my butt and go for a walk, my only excuse why not is because I know it's going to hurt. My knees and feet hurt so much when I walk or do any kind of exercise these days. Not that I've really tried too hard to be honest. I really need to try and start exercising even if it is just the slightest bit everyday. I used to love going to the gym and running before I screwed up my knee. As far as my weight loss goes, the last time I was at the doc's I weighed 345lbs and that was about 3 week to a month ago and I haven't weighed myself since. I don't even own a scale. I do know that I have lost weight though, I can feel it. I already feel alot better than I did a month ago. I just haver to stay on this rigfht track. Thanks to you bunch I know I will be able to do it.
  • jjustjo
    jjustjo Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Jo.
    I've always had a hard time losing weight. I used to do step class 4 times a week and I'd run in the evening, but would never lole much weight. After complaining to the Dr. about this many times he finally checked my thyroid and guess what, you guessed it, it was underactive. So, after many tries at getting the meds right he said my blood work was good. However, I feel like this medication has actually made me gain weight. I don't know. You should definitely have it checked out though. Hang in there . I know how frustratingc as I'm sure we all do, when you don't lose anything for a few weeks. It will come. We are here for you.

Thank you! It good to have someone else to complain to besides my husband, who always puts his foot in his mouth. haha I am going to have it checked. The bad part about my job (managing RV parks) no health insurance. I have a major med plan, but I am sure all of this visit will be on my dime. It's the reason I've put it off so long. Not that we don't have the $$. It's just in this day and age it's hard to spend money. But I've finally decided my health is more important...so I will go. Thanks again for the support.
  • jjustjo
    Options
    Wow this is long but I am almost done :bigsmile: ..... In Jan 2011 a friend recommended MFP to me (i was trying to use sparkpeople but it was overwhelming and just to much stuff); I joined a new gym (a real one) and am back with my PT Brad...It has been a struggle to break my 4 month plateau but I think I am close. I am mixing up the exercise and paying more attention to my diet/food choices...I will NOT give up this time, I am making a life style change and know that I will struggle with food/exercise all my life; I will always have to "pay attention"...but I know I can do it, especially with awesome support from others!!

So to wrap up...what I have learned
    * you have to move...no matter how much you hate it...exercise is part of the puzzle...I don't love exercise at all but do it 5-6x per week.
    * you have to pay attention to diet...for me portion control...you need to eat every 3-4 hours at a minimum (while awake).
    * Water, Water, Water....that is all I drink these days except for maybe 1 coffee in the AM

OK...:smooched: I am going to give you all a break and will be back later to do my Wednesday check in (plus I have to pee again do to all that darn water :grumble: )
    Shelly, Thank -you. I am complaining about my 5 week plateau and you've over come a 4 month one??? Yeah! go girl! I could work on portion size I am sure. I tend to just plop food on my plate. I could do better! I can do better
  • jjustjo
    Options
    I am having a heck of a time keeping up with posts and who is who. I am going to have to make a cheat sheet with usernames and real names. It sucks to be an old broad !:bigsmile:
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Back again! started reading some of your posts but I have not caught up yet, sorry! Today has been kind of a stinky day at work, with a two-hour meeting included. So I weigh in on Thursdays, and last week I lost 2lbs. That was such a great loss for me! you see, when I first started here I was losing 1-2lbs a week. I lost 18lbs in three months. Then it all stopped. I was having no loss at all, or only a 0.2 loss per week. It was SO frustating! the last three months I had only lost FOUR pounds! I was staying under 1200 cal/day and exercising 5 days a week. I finally gave in and started calorie cycling. If anyone wants the info, I'll gladly share it. After only 1 week, I lost 2lbs. I think that I was in starvation mode, so upping my calories really helped. and believe it or not, it has been difficult eating more than 1200 cals/day! I NEVER thought I would say that! As for exercise, I do a few things: walk/jog/run on the treadmill, kickbox, or turbo jam or tae bo. As for my 12+ glasses of water goal, I am at 10 glasses so far. It is 3:30pm here and I'll have to stop drinking by 4pm, otherwise I'll wet my pants and ruin my car on my hour-long commute back home! :blushing: