A lot to lose & over 40? Lets start a group(20 memebers max

Options

Replies

• Sue_Smiles
    Sue_Smiles Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    With all of this said if any of you would like the key to my diary email me and I will be happy to share. I usually do not review people diaries because of time but from time to time I will loo k at them for new ideas or if asked. I use to have it open to all friends until I got a few unwarrented comments. I don't think the peeps meant any harm they just did not know my goals.

My diary is open to friends only. The caveat being that I just changed the meals around so it looks funky :) I don't mind people looking and posting suggestions on how I can do better, sodium is my bugaboo.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    Ok, keeping in mind that I have been following this diet for just one week and weighing daily and recording my weight here every few days , my loss for this initial week has been 9lbs. ,I've dropped in total 12.5lbs since my pre op at the hospital the week before.
    I know I shouldn't weigh daily but this kind off diet is alien to me, 15% carbs, 35%protein and 50% fat, total calories 1300. Normally I'm low fating everything (and hungry all the time!) This one I'm actually just having to deal with no sugar treats, bread, pasta, rice. Yesterday was the first crave day, I really wanted sugar in the evening, I was under calories for the day and got creative with ricotta , cocoa and spenda.
    Exercise, just gentle at the mo as my knee is healing, ordering a static bike today though.
    Have a lovely day everyone x Joanna
  • jjustjo
    jjustjo Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh In: I don't wanna talk about it *sigh* I have not lost any weight for 5 weeks or more. It's so disappointing. I gain and lose a couple of pounds depending on the day, but that is all. I've tried everything I know to do. Eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, etc. I am considering seeing a doctor to have my thyroid checked. It runs in my family. I had such great success to begin with I didn't think I had a problem, but now I dunno...
    Exercise: 30-40 mins of cardio in the morning, then bike riding with my husband, who is diabetic in the afternoons. I've been alternating the treadmill 3.5 with an incline of 3%, with the elliptical machine. I like both equally well.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,384 Member
    Options
    Weekly weigh In: I don't wanna talk about it *sigh* I have not lost any weight for 5 weeks or more. It's so disappointing. I gain and lose a couple of pounds depending on the day, but that is all. I've tried everything I know to do. Eat more, eat less, exercise more, exercise less, etc. I am considering seeing a doctor to have my thyroid checked. It runs in my family. I had such great success to begin with I didn't think I had a problem, but now I dunno...

Jo,
    You may want to check with doctor. That way you find out if there is a problem with your thyroid or at least you can eliminate it as an issue. Hang in there dear.
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Good morning friends (or afternoon or evening)!!
    Wow! I'm behind already! I just got caught up reading the posts and it was great to learn more about all of you.
    My name is Cathy, I'm 47 and I live in Kansas, USA. I have been married and have a wonderful husband and 7 FABULOUS grandkids (thanks to hubby) who range in age from 5 months to 18 years. I work for a health insurance company so very sedentary and I work from home which means I don't even get exercise walking to the bathroom :blushing:

There has only been one time in my life that I lost a significant amount of weight. Most of the time I have been on the "I don't care and going to eat anything and everything I want diet". About 12 years ago I went from 340 to just under 200. It was so NOT a healthy weight loss and obviously I didn't make the needed mental changes during that time. I ate a combination of celery and carrots and fast/junk food and would starve myself in between. At the time my favorite uncle had just passed away and I was going through a divorce. Anyway, within 5-6 years I gained back 100 pounds!! My goal this time is to learn to eat healthy and change the way I think about food. I would LOVE to one day be a person who eats to live instead of live to eat. At 47, I am completely re-learning to cook and eat.

My reason for finally deciding it was time to not only lose weight but get healthy was because of an off-hand comment my doctor made. I have severe arthritis in one of my ankles along with the normal knee/back pain that comes along with weighing 300 pounds. I had a lot of swelling in that leg and my doctor said it was due to poor circulation :noway: and he didn't want me walking on a treadmill due to my ankle but some exercise and "losing a few pounds" might be helpful. That comment struck me like no other because my mom had both of her legs amputated due to poor circulation and died at 54!!! When I was told I was diabetic - Awww, it is just a little high blood sugar...heart disease runs in my family - It is in my genes and doesn't matter what I eat anyway...Need surgery to have my ankle fused which means non-weight bearing on crutches 6-8 weeks - Nope, I can live with the pain....poor circulation (which in my mind leads directly to living like my mom did) - OH MY GOSH I have to make a change and make it starting today!!!! So, this is a lifestyle change for me and I want it to be a mental change about the way I look at food and continue for the rest of my two-legged life!

Sorry this got so long winded!!
    Cathy
  • cathyv0409
    cathyv0409 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Wednesday weigh in - My day to weigh in and change my ticker has been Sunday so far but that isn't set in stone. Last week I lost 5 pounds (my biggest loss in one week yet - YAY!) For exercise I do the recumbent bike and elliptical at the gym and DVDs I have are LS Walk Away the Pounds and Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies - hopefully in this over 40 group some of you remember Richard Simmons :wink: I have just started Richard Simmons and also bought the biggest loser challenge for Wii.

Thanks,
    Cathy
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Ok, keeping in mind that I have been following this diet for just one week and weighing daily and recording my weight here every few days , my loss for this initial week has been 9lbs. ,I've dropped in total 12.5lbs since my pre op at the hospital the week before.
    I know I shouldn't weigh daily but this kind off diet is alien to me, 15% carbs, 35%protein and 50% fat, total calories 1300. Normally I'm low fating everything (and hungry all the time!) This one I'm actually just having to deal with no sugar treats, bread, pasta, rice. Yesterday was the first crave day, I really wanted sugar in the evening, I was under calories for the day and got creative with ricotta , cocoa and spenda.
    Exercise, just gentle at the mo as my knee is healing, ordering a static bike today though.
    Have a lovely day everyone x Joanna

Jo,
    Congrats on your weight loss!:flowerforyou: You may have posted it already but did you have a knee surgery? Regarding your comment on weighing daily, there are many reports out that say weighing daily is good if you can take the fluations of the scale an use it effectively as a tool.

My WLS team recommended I start to weigh myself daily right away. Because I weighed so much I did not want to purchase a special scale and the director of my program insisted on it so I took their recommendation and I brought a scale about 6 months before my surgery. Not doing much at at all I learned so much from just weighing daily. I learned that more than 4 pcs. of fried chicken packed on a pound at least depending on how much I ate over 4 pcs. Now to put in prespective I could eat a whole chicken easily. and that was 2 pounds gained. I learned ribs and pork was another automatic gain. So needless to say I lost 31 pounds before I had surgery just from weighing daily and cutting back on all the fast foods I was eating because I could see they added pounds quickly and with no mercy and right away too. Sweets and other junk in moderation did not have the same affect as fast foods did.

When I digress it is when I stop weighing myself daily. For me and being a binge and compulsive overeater I have to weigh daily to make sure one bad day does not turn into a week. I know if I see that number on the scale going up I will stop myself.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Here is link to an article I posted to MFP last year. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/140567-your-scale-and-you?hl=daily+mollie#posts-1917865

Weighing daily is surely not for everyone. This is just a FYI for those thinking that is is terriable. It may be worth a try if you binge or you are a COE. My WLS director is still recommending it to all of his patients because he says the people who have the most success with WL surgeries are those who continue to weigh themselves daily. If you can take it for what it is it is not bad. If you let the number on the scale upset your whole day then weighing daily may not be for you. On high sodium days the scale will go up or stay the same.

Even when I am out of town I can usually find a scale in the gyms of hotels and cruise ships. If so I may not weigh daily but if I am gone a week I will weigh when I can and in the mornings. It will not be in the nude like I do at home and I don't count any of it until I get back home but it keeps my eating in check even when not at home.
  • gabbygirl37_2001
    gabbygirl37_2001 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I have been doing this for about 2 weeks, and Ive lost 5 pounds. I have been walking, but not enough yet, and that is one of my goals, to be more active. I feel better already. amazing what just 5 pounds can do!
  • Jojo42
    Options
    Moliie, thank you, that makes so much sense. The scales have always been something that have just gathered dust , by stepping on them every morning I have focused my day in my mind especially as cheese/cream etc are on my diet!
    I am still sceptical, though my step dad is very clued up and an ex marine, he swears by low carb. He told me that my calorie intake was too low though , it should be 1500. It's a learning curve!

Gabbie well done on the 5lb, feeling great is so good for our motivation and encouragement! I can't wait to "feel" different, no doubt you will all hear when I do!
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    Happy Wednesday, everyone!

I just got in from my walk! 2.6 miles in 51 minutes and burned 423 calories!!

I have plans to go out this evening and where I'm going is a good little hike from the subway, so I'll have a few more calories to add to the above.

I hope everyone is having a great week!
    katzpawz
  • katzpawz
    katzpawz Posts: 754
    Options
    I'm just going to put this out there: I got my walk in today, 2 miles and 400 calories!!

Have a great day everyone!

katz

Good job Katzpaws! I'm not that ambitious......I'm still in bed & online.....having my coffee& half watchin my dog & cat romp all over the bed. (They are both under 1yr old.) But I AM getting everyone onto my friends list . Gotta get up soon and do some running around today. Have a good one!

You have to remember that London is 5 hours ahead of U.S. Eastern time. While you're enjoying your coffee, I'm having lunch!
  • Jojo42
    Options
    Wow Cathy, you're doing so well. Can I ask what type of exercise bike you have? I am going to order one today off Amazon?

Regards Joanna x
  • MJ5898
    MJ5898 Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Good morning groupies!!! Hope everyone is having a fantastic hump day!

@ Mollie - congrats on 6 days in March of being under 2K calories!!! you are totally rocking it! Also, thanks for the alphalist - easier for me to follow :-) Oh, and yes I am quite a bit shorter than you - only 5'2" so 150 will be totally different on me than on you :-)

@ Hopeful - congrats on the 4# loss!!!

@ Jo - Hang in there lady. If you keep doing what you are doing, the scale will eventually move unless there is a medical issue like the thyroid, so I would get that checked out too. Mine is underactive and all I did was gain for several months until my meds got it regulated.

@ Cathy, you make such a great point - eat to live not live to eat. I struggle with thinking of food not as a comfort or reward or friend, but as a simple necessity of life. That it is not here to make me happy but just to sustain life like oxygen. And congrats on the 5# loss last week - amazing!!!

Wednesday Weigh In - I weighed in yesterday and had my biggest 1 week loss to date - 4.5#. Since I started counting calories, that makes 45 total. Now just a pesky 200 more to go. For exercise, I have been walking with my Wii Walk It Out game for the past 3 weeks. My longest time so far is 45 minutes and 2.8 miles. I have really been enjoying it and even looking forward to it. Until last evening. I have tweaked my right MCL and the pain in my knee when I try to walk is pretty rough. I tore my left MCL a few years ago in a fall on ice at work and did PT to rehab it. So, I still have my list of exercises and plan to start those this evening to try to strengthen and heal the knee up. I also have a stationary bike, so I will probably have to hit that for the next few days instead of walking until the knee is better. But, I will not let this knee deter me from my goals!

Please everyone keep sharing! I love it and will check back in in the p.m. :-)
  • christyrussell2
    christyrussell2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Wednesday Weigh-In/Exercise

I've basically been stuck for the last 3-4 weeks gaining/losing the same pound. It's frustrating that I've plateaued but it's happened before & I know it's just a matter of time before my body adjusts then the scale will start moving again.

I am one of those people who have to weigh every morning. I understand about fluctations in water weight so I don't get freaked out easily. Wednesday is my weigh in day so it's the only day that I really worry about. On the other days, I use the scale to keep me honest. I've found that it keeps me focused & if I don't, I tend to over eat & not make good choices.

I go to the gym at least 3 days a week to Group Personal Training. I really look forward to this. I learned that I need the structure of a program to keep pushing myself or I become complacent. I try to get to the gym on the other 2 days for the yoga class or to walk on the treadmill. I'm completely lazy on the weekends. I just can't seem to find the self motivation needed on Sat/Sun to get my butt moving. It's an area I need to work on!

:heart: Christy
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone :drinker:

WOW you ladies are amazing.:flowerforyou: I just logged in and took a quick look at our thread and our group is supporting up a storm. Love this group :heart: I am going to grab some breakfast and catch up on the posts.

Just wanted to let everyone know I am sending all the people who ask about our joining our group, a message about how we are at our max number and explain why we set a rule to only have 20 members and apoligies etc...:blushing: just wanted to say I am not ignoring them on this board.
  • cassieinor
    cassieinor Posts: 584
    Options
    WEDNESDAY WEIGH IN: I usually do my weigh in on Monday. My theory is thatif I have to weigh on Monday, then I am less likely to go overboard on calories during the weekend. Makes sense to me. But I'm gonna do Wednesdays and see how it goes. I have to confess here.....I haven't had a scale now for a couple months. I have been logging and keeping up with my home page. Most days I can stay within my calories......some days ....not so good. The only weigh in I've been able to record was when I used my sister's scale several weeks ago. Needless to say, I've just been kinda floundering here. GOOD NEWS is last night I finally bought me a new scale. BETTER NEWS is that I have lost 1lb since my last weigh in. So basically I'v not done much of anything in the last several weeks. So now that I have a new scale I can get back to business

As far as exercise goes......gee, what's that? LOL. I hate it, I hate to sweat.......exercise is painful. I am going to try to do some kind of exercise at least 4 times a week or more. This is a MAJOR BIG challenge for me. So yesterday I went shopping....not a big shopper here because of pain.....but I dragged my butt around Walmart and Grocery Outlet. Hubby & I were out for about 3hrs......and I forgot to mention Petco. So after about 3hrs walking slow.....I'm thinking I am gonna start logging some exercise. So I logged it as 1hour walking slow. So was I surprised that it gave me extra calories to eat that I don't want. I'll have to work on that one.

So I'm happy to see so many of us chatting away on here. Congrats to our "losers" here. Everyone keep up the good work.
    @Hopeful....I like our members list in alphabetical order....LOL.....it puts me near the top of the list.
    On the subject of our group being closed......it seems to me I have seen little locks on the topic lines to some of the posts when you first open the message boards. Has anyone else seen these locks? Maybe there IS a way to lock our group.....or how are we responding to more requests to join?

Anyway...gotta go plug in before the phone dies.
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone! I have to go back and read everyone's posts, as I can't right now. I'm having an already bad day at work and it's only 9am! Also, I didn't get any exercise in yesterday as my daughter is sick with the stomach flu YUCK! Anyway, just a quickie to say hello, and to let you know that my goal for today is to get in 12+ glasses of water in, I usually only get in 10.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    Wednesday weigh in --- Like many people in the group my weigh in day is Monday. I put on weight last week but didn't enter it so I actually weigh more than my profile says at the moment :ohwell: , I am hoping that by next week the figures will be correct.

I have many medical issues but as everyone is introducing themselves at the moment and it is a lot to have to read, I wont go into them yet. I am going to be here for a long time yet so you will all have plenty of time to get to know me.

I hate exercise but know that it has to be done, it just isn't that easy when you are in constant pain. :huh: I am having difficulty getting the correct medication for all my conditions as I have been found to be allergic to so many of them.

The last series of the biggest loser shown in the UK the contestants had to do a challenge on their first day which involved them each cycling a half marathon, the first couple to finish got immunity and the last couple were put up for eviction. This week I have decided to bite the bullet and exercise through the pain, if they can do it so can I. I am going to try to do a half marathon on my exercise bike for every day in Lent but I only started doing it on Monday so I will try and do it twice on some days to make up the days I missed. So far I have done 1 Mon, 2 Tues, and 1 today making a total of 52 miles so far this week, I'm feeling so proud of myself :happy:

I look forward to getting to know you all and wish you all every success :flowerforyou:

p.s. for anyone who doesn't know my name is Sara
  • Jojo42
    Options
    Sara you are totally inspiring me!! I have ordered my exercise bike...it will be here in 2-3 days time x:tongue:

Joanna x