A lot to lose & over 40? Lets start a group(20 memebers max

Options

Replies

• akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    RE Calcium intake:

The world health organisation (WHO) recommends a daily intake of 500mg of calcium, there is no toxicity level defined.

The top 10 foods for calcium in mg per 100grams are as follows:

1. Parmesan cheese 1025
    2. Sesame seeds 670
    3. Tofu 510
    4. other cheeses (on average) 450
    5. Anchovies, sardines 420
    6. Dried figs, almonds, yoghurt 250
    7. Purple sprouting broccoli 200
    8. Spring grees, spinach, kale 170
    9. Okra, chickpeas, brazil nuts 160
    10. Milk 130

Another good source is tinned salmon provided you eat the bones, or the shells of shrimp/prawns. Or you could just take a spoonful of Andrews (or any other liver salts) every day (also good to keep your bowels regular)

One thing that you should be aware of is that your body needs vitamin D3 in order to absorb the calcium. The best source of vitamin D is sunlight (aproximately half an hour outside daily). If you have no exposure to the sun the WHO recommend 2.5 micrograms (cant find the symbol on my keyboard) a day. The toxicity level is 50 migrograms.

The top 10 foods for Vitamin D in micrograms per 100grams are as follows:

1. Cod liver oil 210
    2. Herring 19
    3. Cod roe 17
    4. Trout 9.6
    5. Butter, lard, margerine 8.2
    6. Mackeral, kippers 8
    7. Salmon 7.1
    8. Sardines, tuna 4.1
    9. Eggs 1.8
    10. Corned beef, liver pate 1.3

Half a tin of salmon, kippers, mackeral etc or a tin of sardines twice a week will give you all the calcium and D3 you require if you mash the bones in and eat them.

Occassionally when I am craving something sweet I make a milkshake with 200ml of semiskimmed milk, a large spoon of organic hot chocolate and a banana which I shove in a blender tastes delicious 225cals 38 g carbs 9g protein 4g fat 2g of which are saturated (can be made much lower if you use fat free milk and low cal hot chocolate)
  • christyrussell2
    christyrussell2 Posts: 630 Member
    Options

These are ones that I like, except for corn tortillas. The flour ones have calcium, just not as much.
    *Dark green leafy vegatables (lettuce, broccoli, celery, okra) , beans & peas (navy, pinto, garbonzo, lima, black), grains (brown rice, quinoa, oats, tortillas-especially corn), nuts (almonds, walnuts)

There's a lot of info on the internet if you want to google it. As far as a calcium supplement, I take a chewable one with vitamin D for absorbtion. It also has a fruity taste which is an extra bonus! :bigsmile:

:heart: Christy

Hi Christy, can you give me the brand name of those vitamins please? Thank you!!

Caltrate chewable with vitamin D

I've tried the regular ones that you just swallow but they leave a nasty taste in my mouth.

• themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    Katz I am so sorry for your loss. It is so hard to lose an animal , they become so close to us and become part of the family (((HUGS)))

bigmama65 I eat yogurt for breakfast at least 4 times a week, I also eat alot of broccoli and I make lattes with nonfat milk. If you dont like many milk products I would take a calcium supplement . It is really important the older we get to get calcium.
  • cassieinor
    cassieinor Posts: 584
    Options
    My poor lil doggie woke us up @ 5 am having another seizure. It's the third one in 2 months. The vet reassured us he is fine, so we just comfort him until its over. Nothing more we can do except put him on drugs which will make him out of it. We are not ready to do that yet.

Friday Foods: I am in love with the Hungry Girl website. My daughter gave me a HG cookbook for x-mas which I use alot also. My all time favorite is her Whole Chicken Enchilada Soup with some baked tortilla chips and fat free sour cream. You have to keep an eye on the sodium tho. I found a fat free- low sodium chicken broth which is the staple for all HG soups and it makes her recipes with less salt.
    The beany bacon soup was excellent! I made the PB brownies.....yum yum yum. I didn't know they made a sugar free brownie mix, but it is excellent also and made the HG brownies even lower in calories. And peanut butter: my favorite food! haha Because of hungry girl I found PB2 powdered peanut butter, which I adore! It needs alittle sweetner, but really good. 45 calories for 2 TBSP. woot woot!

So sorry about your doggie. I sent you a personal note about siezure meds.
    I also have discovered Hungry Girl.....isn't she amazing?! I am definitely gonna have to get some of that PB2 and give it a try. Sounds interesting.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    my vote for the new name is Alot to Lose......and over 40 or Geddon Girls and I think we should wait until it is close to being at the end of this post, we are moving pretty fast.
  • LM_105
    LM_105 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Hello all,

Hope everyone is doing well. Not a great day here. Just found out a dear friend who I saw on Tuesday has had massive stroke and is now in a coma.

On the eating front I am doing well (in fact dont feel much like eating), and on the exercise front great (my time on the cross trainer has doubled from 5 mins to 10 in less than a week). My time on the treadmill is now Incline level 6 (full hill walking) at 4.5mph so I am delighted with that.

Re name for the group: sorry to be boring but whats wrong with 'A lot to lose and over 40'? it is to the point. (Or even 'A lot to GAIN and over 40'). Don't like Gedden Girls (I am way beyond girl and sounds like dance troupe to me, oops, sorry!). But as with others will go with the majority .

Re closing list: I think bigmoma you need to decide how much hassle it is for you to keep sending those who post into our group a message (its a nice message), re whether to set up the closed group now or later. Whatever suits you, you are doing the work!

Sorry, seem to have lost my sparkle today.....
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your friend L. I hope he or she recovers and will keep them in my prayers. You hang in there and I hope you will feel better. That is enough to take away your sparkle.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

Re closing list: I think bigmoma you need to decide how much hassle it is for you to keep sending those who post into our group a message (its a nice message), re whether to set up the closed group now or later. Whatever suits you, you are doing the work!

Regarding list I never thought about it like this but you are right, we should leave that up to Linda.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options

@ Mollie What? we aren't the most important thing in your life??? I can't believe it....KIDDING See you soon!
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    @Sara, thanks for calcuim list!!

@Claudia, thanks for tips on aspargus also!
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Morning everyone! Just logging in to vote. I didn't see it on the list, but I really like joanna's "geddon girls". Also, I think we should just wait until we hit the 20-page mark to change. It won't be much longer, as we seem to be flying right along!

Ditto what Claudia said. I also like Queen Bees.
  • Jenn070608
    Jenn070608 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 43, but I guess I am too late to join. Maybe the next group.
  • cassieinor
    Options
    FRIDAY FOODS DAY

Mine is a question for everyone. I noticed since I started MFP and I am trying to keep under my daily calories. I notice myself not drinking enough milk or orange juice. Before MFP I use to try and drink 2 glasses of milk a day and one glass of pure orange juice a day....now I hate to drink my daily calories..so I don't drink them. But thinking being over 40 I really should be getting my calcium in. I don't do yogart :tongue: :laugh:.

How about you? Do you drink much of your daily calories?

I try not to drink calories. When calories are sooo limited, I'd rather eat them than drink them. You can always take a supplement for what ya need. And...LOL.....what other mamal drinks milk all of its life? Once the baby mamals are weaned, that's it. Only humans drink milk all their lives. I'm not against milk, just don't want the calories. I like yourt, cheese, etc.
  • bigmama65
    bigmama65 Posts: 2,529 Member
    Options

@ Mollie What? we aren't the most important thing in your life??? I can't believe it....KIDDING See you soon!
    :laugh: :laugh:

:laugh: :tongue: I bet we are :tongue: :happy:
    Look we are sending you flowers :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    I also do not like Geddon Girls for the new name. I am not familar at all with the term. Even though I use the term girlie as a term of endearment I feel none of us are girls any longer and the same can be said for twits. I do not think of myself as either a twit or a girl.:noway: Twit brings up images of a dingy person or implies dingyness IMO.

With that said, I too will go with the vote but I really hope these 2 names are not the favorites.:ohwell:
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Not a stellar day for the fitness plan. We had to say goodbye to one of our dogs today. His name was Chess and he was a 14 year old black Labrador Retriever.

He was the one on the far left of the photo on my ticker.

katzpawz

So sorry to hear about your dog, Chess. I'm sending you hugs.....this is a hard thing to lose a beloved part of your family. I'm a major animal lover myself. We lost our beautiful Standard Poodle ...13yrs old, and my 17yr old back kitty, both last year. It's painful, I know. Just know that Chess will be in your heart forever.
  • cassieinor
    Options
    Friday Foods

Last night my son had a baseball game that got over at 7:30. I didn't want to cook so opted for fast food. I've been craving a hamburger so I agreed to go to McDonald's. I was so excited but then ended up sooooo disappointed. It wasn't near as good as it was in my mind! Not even the fries! Believe me - I was VERY surprised but pleased because it seems that my taste for fast food has changed. I don't think I'll be craving it much any more. :tongue:

[/quote

Isn't it amazing how our tastes for foods change when we're eating healthy. I am a "recovering fast food junke". When I drive past "those" places I can hear them calling my name. And you know, you will be totally amazed at the calories in a fast food hamburger...or any fast food. Good for you for recognizing how much you're changing.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    while at the gym i saw a tshirt with a saying i love..."pain is simply weakness leaving the body"....wow.. i got that one covered...in spades!
  • cassieinor
    Options
    FRIDAY FOODS DAY
    I tried aspargus this week and did not like it. Everyone keeps saying how good it is and I do like it when I order from a resturant but I did not like it the way I cooked it. What suggestions do you all have? i will give it one more try. I would love to cook it like the resturants do but I don't I think the sticks were too skinny.

Hi Mollie. I felt the way you did about asparagus too. Then one day my husband GRILLED it with some butter and garlic and I was in heaven! A healthier version the I've made is to use olive oil and garlic. To get the olive oil really garlicy, put about 1/4 cup in a small sauce pan and sautee several chopped cloves in it. then you drizzle it all over the asparagus and put in a 400 degree oven for about 20 min. When done, sprinkle with parmesan cheese and serve. Also, before you cook it, add some salt and pepper to it if you like. I still prefer it grilled, as I love the smokey flavor it gives it. You can also try marinating it in some Italian dressing over night before grilling, that's yummy too!

Ditto what Claudia does with asparagus....yum! Also.....asparagus is good raw cut into 1 inch pieces thrown into a salad with other salad veggies & greens.
  • akaDumbo
    akaDumbo Posts: 187
    Options
    Not a stellar day for the fitness plan. We had to say goodbye to one of our dogs today. His name was Chess and he was a 14 year old black Labrador Retriever.

He was the one on the far left of the photo on my ticker.

katzpawz

Sorry to hear of your loss I know you will be missing Chess dreadfully. I had to have my Lucy (in the picture) put to sleep a few weeks ago so I can empathise with you. My 14 year old terrier Barnie still stands on the door step calling for her and searches the house for her every night.