New Rules of Lifting for Women group?

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Okay, I've read through the whole topic now. First off, I'd like to comment on how awesome you ladies are!! :flowerforyou:

Now I'll segue straight into asking for advice. :laugh:

I do NWOL at home. Upon starting, I bought some Gold's Gym equipment: an 11lb-barbell, a pair of ~3lb-dumbbells, a set (4) of 2.5lb plates, and a pair of 5lb plates. I know my weight is low, but I was worried about starting too high, plus I just didn't have the money to buy more at the time. I'm going to buy another pair of 5lb plates very soon, and just got a set of 10lb plates - Let's hear it for Goodwill! $4/pair!! :drinker: And I have a gift card on the way that should buy a pair/set of 20/25lb plates. So weight will increase soon. On to the advice...

I've lifted before, but usually machines, rarely free weights. So I've never done some of these exercises, namely the deadlift. I have yet to "feel" my muscles during or after the deadlift. Am I doing it right? Or is it simply that I really need more than 20-something pounds? Now that I have 10lb plates, should I try really revving up the weight? (My next B workout is tomorrow.)

I'm also not feeling the Swiss ball crunches at all. I've tried positioning the ball at various points along my back, but the exercise is still extremely easy. Is it possible that my abs are just already too developed for that move to be effective? Should I try something else, like plank? (Note, I danced for years and cannot count the number of times and ways I've done plank, and for more than just 60 seconds! So it really might be that my abs are already really strong.)

The other one is squats, but there I'm pretty sure I just need to up the weights. But I don't have a rack at home, so I'll only be able to increase my squat weight by so much, since I have to lift it onto my shoulder. :ohwell: I saw someone's comment about a "clean." I'll have to go youtube that sometime...

Thanks for any help!
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options

I've lifted before, but usually machines, rarely free weights. So I've never done some of these exercises, namely the deadlift. I have yet to "feel" my muscles during or after the deadlift. Am I doing it right? Or is it simply that I really need more than 20-something pounds? Now that I have 10lb plates, should I try really revving up the weight? (My next B workout is tomorrow.)

I'm also not feeling the Swiss ball crunches at all. I've tried positioning the ball at various points along my back, but the exercise is still extremely easy.

Thanks for any help!

Hi there,

I'm no expert but and currently doing NROLFW and have just started stage 3. I know what you mean about not 'feeling' some of the exercises but I've found that this is simply because I haven't selected a heavy enough weight. Don't be afraid to increase the weight. When I have done it have really increased the intensity of the workout to the point where i break a sweat as though I'm doing cardio!

For the crunches have you tried holding a 5lg or 10lb weight to your chest whilst you do them? This works for me.

All the best
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I felt like a lot of the exercises "weren't doing anything" during the earlier stages. It has only been around stage 4 (when I started lifting the bar and heavier) that I was actually sore the next day from deadlifts.

At first, I felt the swiss ball crunches a lot....then not so much...and now that I am weighting them 5-10 lbs. I def. feel them now!

I start stage 5 tomorrow!
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    If your not feeling anything, you may need to increase your weights. But don't do it too quickly like I did. You need to give all the connecting tissues and smaller supporting muscles (the stuff inside that you don't see). If it's so heavy that you can't lift the last reps in good form, I would recommend not finishing the reps. Form really is important (things I'm learning in physical therapy).

I also didn't feel the crunches for a long time. I tried weights and everything. What finally worked for me is putting the ball about at my mid/lower back. And when I come up, I cruch all the way up to almost sitting. And I do not relax the muscles until I'm done. Make sure you keep your shoulders back and lift like you're pulling your chest to the ceiling. I don't know if that's proper, but I feel it even now by doing it like that.

That "clean" looks frightening to me - I won't do it. But you can try if you want. At the gym, I'm squatting 105 pounds, but at home I can't because I can't lift the bar over my head. So at home I'm only doing 45. But....I've noticed that if I focus hard on my posture and I do very deep squats, I still feel it. Maybe not like I do at the gym, but I think that's okay. One other thing I'm learning in physical therapy is that it's important to do some lighter lifting at higher reps because it works different muscles and helps you get stronger (especially with that smaller supporting stuff), so I figure it's helping even if it's not as heavy.

Good luck!!
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm definitely going to keep increasing my weight for deadlifts and squats, but I think I'll stick to 5lb increments until I'm at a challenging weight. And I'll also give the crunches a shot holding a plate against my chest.

Oh, and I got my gift card in the mail yesterday, so I'll be able to buy some more plates as soon as I can get to the store! :)
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I'm supposed to get my book today! I'm excited but sad at the same time. I won't be able to start for a month. I've been having neck problems and went to see a chiropractor. He told me not to start anything new :( I plan on following you ladies and see how you are doing! It will also give me time to read the book thoroughly.

I hear ya!! I've been sitting out for a month now and I still can't go back yet (shoulder issues). I'm finished with Phase 1 and waiting to move to Phase 2. Hopefully soon though!! When I do go back, I'm going to repeat a couple weeks of Phase 1 just to make sure I'm back to where I was when I had to take a break!! I think I'll re-read the book cuz I'm sure I missed some key points!

I think re-reading the book is a great idea!! I started reading it last night and it has me soooo motivated!
  • kensky
    Options
    Everytime I re-read the book I get something new out of it. I think the first time(s) I was mostly just looking to see what the routine was, if it was crap, etc. And now when I go back I am more ready to absorb the why's of the diet, rest time (hrm) and all of that.

Did my first day of Stage 5 today! Who conquered the dreaded body weight matrix? That's right. This girl did! (I wish I'd remembered to crank up ye old HRM before huffing and puffing through it. I'm curious to see what my cal. count is for it but not curious to do it before I absolutely have to!) :happy:
  • sunshine79
    Options
    Everytime I re-read the book I get something new out of it. I think the first time(s) I was mostly just looking to see what the routine was, if it was crap, etc. And now when I go back I am more ready to absorb the why's of the diet, rest time (hrm) and all of that.

Did my first day of Stage 5 today! Who conquered the dreaded body weight matrix? That's right. This girl did! (I wish I'd remembered to crank up ye old HRM before huffing and puffing through it. I'm curious to see what my cal. count is for it but not curious to do it before I absolutely have to!) :happy:

Stage 5 - wow! I've just started stage 3 (am doing workout A for the second time tomorrow) I did not like stage 3 workout B at all but I'll have to grin and bear it.

I'm going to re-read the book in it's entirety as I'm sure I'll get even more out of it than I have. Keep us posted on your progress during stage 5
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    I did 1B5 yesterday, the first 3-set B workout, and I increased my weights by 5lbs as I have been. I don't know if it was the 3 sets, if I've finally gotten to a challenging weight, if it was moving my workout from the morning to the evening, or if it was just one of those days - but I FELT that workout!! I was struggling! It was great!

Also, I reread the deadlift description and realized one thing wrong with my form: shoulders. I hadn't been focusing on them at all, so I realized that I'd been letting them just slouch forward on the descent. So I really focused on keeping them pulled back and tight - boy, did I feel THAT!! Good to finally figure out what's wrong, so I can do it right! :)

And I used a 5lb plate on the Swiss ball crunches and FINALLY felt it, although more in my back when lowering than in my abs when rising. I might increase to a 10lb plate. I guess I'll just see how I feel the next time I do it...
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I read through most of the diet information and I have a question for you gals. How closely are you sticking to their plan? He discusses the importance of protein a lot and I was thinking to make sure I get at least 30% of my calories from protein. I am going to be relatively relaxed about the carb/fat portion. I do like that the diet isn't strict clean eating. I find it so weird to see Atkins Advantage bars as a suggestion for a protein bar. Aren't those bars loaded with sugar alcohols?
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I read through most of the diet information and I have a question for you gals. How closely are you sticking to their plan? He discusses the importance of protein a lot and I was thinking to make sure I get at least 30% of my calories from protein. I am going to be relatively relaxed about the carb/fat portion. I do like that the diet isn't strict clean eating. I find it so weird to see Atkins Advantage bars as a suggestion for a protein bar. Aren't those bars loaded with sugar alcohols?

Protein is the main thing I'm doing everything I can to focus on. I don't even really look at my carbs and fat although I do track them along with sodium. All I care is that I get enough protein. I do notice that to fit all the protein into my calorie allowance, I'm naturally pretty close on the other two. Even now while I'm on detention, I'm still trying to eat lots of protein so when I can go back to class, I hopefully won't have lost everything I've done!! I have my goals set for 40/30/30 (carbs, protein, fat). When I'm lifting, I add 300 calories on my lift days. Otherwise, I try to eat just 300 calories under maintenance (which I think he said is okay if you must). I have to re-read the book since it's been a while to make sure i'm doing it right, but that's what I do.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I did 1B5 yesterday, the first 3-set B workout, and I increased my weights by 5lbs as I have been. I don't know if it was the 3 sets, if I've finally gotten to a challenging weight, if it was moving my workout from the morning to the evening, or if it was just one of those days - but I FELT that workout!! I was struggling! It was great!

Also, I reread the deadlift description and realized one thing wrong with my form: shoulders. I hadn't been focusing on them at all, so I realized that I'd been letting them just slouch forward on the descent. So I really focused on keeping them pulled back and tight - boy, did I feel THAT!! Good to finally figure out what's wrong, so I can do it right! :)

And I used a 5lb plate on the Swiss ball crunches and FINALLY felt it, although more in my back when lowering than in my abs when rising. I might increase to a 10lb plate. I guess I'll just see how I feel the next time I do it...

You should feel the deadlifts in your hammies, if you're feeling it mostly in your back then your form is off (you should feel it slightly in your back if you're lifting heavy).

Even a beginner should be able to deadlift at least 50lbs IMO, I'm a tiny girl and I can deadlift 1.5x my weight now but I could do 50lbs at the beginning. I'd do a couple reps with low weight to warm up first though and "find" your heavy weight.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I would love to join this group. :) I started NROLFW a couple of weeks ago; I am midway through stage 1. I do 30-45 min of cardio on my off days and take Saturdays off. So far I am enjoying the routine.

My husband used to be very into weight lifting, so fortunately we have pretty much everything I need at home--various weights and plates, a rack, bench, etc. I like that i just have to go into the garage to do the workouts.

In response to the diet question--I am working pretty hard at getting a good amount of protein in. If I eat between 1700-2000 calories (generally what I seem to be eating, as per the recommendations from the book) I am trying for at least 150 grams of protein a day. I do pay attention to carbs, but not too much; most of my carbs seem to be coming from fruit/veg and whole grains, and I am just not going to worry about that.

My weight has been about the same for quite a while now, and I am hoping this addition of a real strength routine helps me drop a little more. I am in pretty good shape and everything, but definitely am not where I want to be.

Looking forward to going through this with all of you!
  • PixieGoddess
    Options
    You should feel the deadlifts in your hammies, if you're feeling it mostly in your back then your form is off (you should feel it slightly in your back if you're lifting heavy).

Even a beginner should be able to deadlift at least 50lbs IMO, I'm a tiny girl and I can deadlift 1.5x my weight now but I could do 50lbs at the beginning. I'd do a couple reps with low weight to warm up first though and "find" your heavy weight.

Grrr...ok, still not doing right and/or lifting enough. I've never felt a thing in my hammies, and I only felt it in my back this last workout when I tried keeping my shoulders pulled back.

Ok, I just went and rewatched the vidoes on the forum, and they're all letting their shoulders come forward like I was originally, so I'll go back to that. I guess I really do just need to push the weights up. I used to start around the 50lb-mark on most of the machines back when I lifted at a gym, so I don't know why I'm so intimidated by adding more weight to a deadlift! I guess just b/c I've never done one before, and I work out at home alone so there's no one to help if things go wrong! :ohwell:
  • sunshine79
    Options
    Hi everyone!! I would love to join this group. :) I started NROLFW a couple of weeks ago; I am midway through stage 1. I do 30-45 min of cardio on my off days and take Saturdays off. So far I am enjoying the routine.

My husband used to be very into weight lifting, so fortunately we have pretty much everything I need at home--various weights and plates, a rack, bench, etc. I like that i just have to go into the garage to do the workouts.

In response to the diet question--I am working pretty hard at getting a good amount of protein in. If I eat between 1700-2000 calories (generally what I seem to be eating, as per the recommendations from the book) I am trying for at least 150 grams of protein a day. I do pay attention to carbs, but not too much; most of my carbs seem to be coming from fruit/veg and whole grains, and I am just not going to worry about that.

My weight has been about the same for quite a while now, and I am hoping this addition of a real strength routine helps me drop a little more. I am in pretty good shape and everything, but definitely am not where I want to be.

Looking forward to going through this with all of you!

Hey! Great to see you on this thread. Looks like your in a similar place to me. I'm not really going to fuss about carbs in my diet at I know they're all good ones (fruits, veggies, whole grains).

I've been at the same weight for ages now, so much so that I've gotten rid of the scales and am focusing on reducing my body fat percentage and losing inches. I'm on stage 3 of the program and am loving it. I'm making good strength gains, can see a huge change in my shoulders and arms and some change in my legs but my mid-section (where I carry most of my weight is yet to change. :sad: :sad: :sad:

I'm sticking with it though as I'm hoping that soon I'll start to see some inch and fat loss
  • Furrytreats
    Furrytreats Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Also when you're doing deadlifts keep your chin up, that helps keep your back aligned. Also when lifting keep the bar as close to your legs as possible. People who seriously strength train usually have scrapes or redness because they hold them so closely. Big leg drive with the heels of your feet, don't push off your toes. That makes a difference to feel it in the butt and quads as well.

Like the lady who said anyone can do 50lbs is so right. Deadlifts is about lifting heavy and building strength. When you're stuck doing the 15 reps I can see lowering it a wee bit, but I still do at least 100lbs for my first set. The less reps, the heavier you go. I'm on. I'm only on phase one and have been lifting on my own or with a trainer for a year and a half and I still work hard enough that when I get home after the gym in the morning, it's hard to do my hair and makeup because my arms feel so wiped out. If you're going for strength that's what I suggest.

I love the idea of just the two workouts to concentrate on. Plus it's nice to be out of the gym sore as hell after only about 50 minutes. My husband is doing the man version and I am much happier with 2 alternating workouts than 4! Less to think about.
  • meribethd
    meribethd Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Hey guys--I have a question I am hoping you can help with! I haven't read through this whole thread yet, though I plan to, so if it's been answered please forgive me. Anyway, my question has to do with weight gain. I have been doing NROLFW for about 2 weeks now and I seriously just want to throw out my !&!@&* scale. I am eating pretty well, I think. I do have a sweet tooth but am generally pretty good at keeping it under control. I have been trying to follow the dietary guidelines in the book--BMR (mine is about 1380 cals) x 1.4 on non workout days and 1.6 on lifting days. That is close to 2000 calories, more or less. I know I'm not eating a ton more than that!! Lots of protein (150-170g/day), mostly clean eating, not too much in the way of processed foods. I'm lifting Sun, Tues, and Thurs and doing cardio (turbo jam, 30 day shred) on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat I take off.

But this week I gained 5 lbs. FIVE POUNDS!? How is that possible? It isn't my TOM, either. I wanted to chuck that dumb thing out the window. :( Could lifting heavy and working muscles really hard have this effect at the beginning? I have read that working muscles hard can cause them to retain water. But 5 lbs of water?

Can you guys shed some light on this? I am feeling really discouraged. Thanks.
  • kensky
    Options
    I don't have an exact answer for why the jump in weight other than I wouldn't sweat it at this stage. I have heard that muscles can respond to changes in routine by swelling/retaining water...though I wouldn't know the science behind that. I'm guessing you are already drinking water and minding sodium?

I would keep doing what you are doing (2k cal is not a ton for a heavy exerciser) and hold off on weighing for a week. 5 lbs. Is within the range of normal fluctuation. If you are still not happy with what you see by the end of next week then bump your calories down by 100. This is basically the book advice as far as starting at maintenance and tweaking. I hope some of our more clueful members will chime in with better advice!
  • sunshine79
    Options
    Hey guys--I have a question I am hoping you can help with! I haven't read through this whole thread yet, though I plan to, so if it's been answered please forgive me. Anyway, my question has to do with weight gain. I have been doing NROLFW for about 2 weeks now and I seriously just want to throw out my !&!@&* scale. I am eating pretty well, I think. I do have a sweet tooth but am generally pretty good at keeping it under control. I have been trying to follow the dietary guidelines in the book--BMR (mine is about 1380 cals) x 1.4 on non workout days and 1.6 on lifting days. That is close to 2000 calories, more or less. I know I'm not eating a ton more than that!! Lots of protein (150-170g/day), mostly clean eating, not too much in the way of processed foods. I'm lifting Sun, Tues, and Thurs and doing cardio (turbo jam, 30 day shred) on Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat I take off.

But this week I gained 5 lbs. FIVE POUNDS!? How is that possible? It isn't my TOM, either. I wanted to chuck that dumb thing out the window. :( Could lifting heavy and working muscles really hard have this effect at the beginning? I have read that working muscles hard can cause them to retain water. But 5 lbs of water?

Can you guys shed some light on this? I am feeling really discouraged. Thanks.

I had a similar issue when I started the program. I spoke to my personal trainer and her told me that it's possible that it could be my body adjusting to the new increased calorie intake in so much as I was only eating 1380 per day for ages and then increased to 1700.

He said that when increasing calories, ideally it should be staggered e.g - increase by 100 per day for a week, monitor changes and then do the same for another week until you reach your new calorie goal. Sadly, I'm impatient and couldn't be bothered with all that and just went from 1380 up to 1700! (silly me):noway: :noway:

Anyway, after a few weeks on increased calories the weight gain has stopped and is slowly starting to go down but most importantly my body fat is too, which is my aim. If you're like me and don't have a lot to lose you should really try to (I know it can be hard) focus less on the scale and more on measuring inch loss and reduction in body fat percentage.

Hope this helps:smile::smile: