New Rules of Lifting for Women group?

Options

Replies

• baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I have started this program before and gave up after about 4 weeks because I wasn't seeing any results at all. I am hoping that adding it into my usual running/yoga routine will at least keep me from getting bored.

Well... in two weeks, with no significant cardio, I lost 1.2 lbs and 0.65% bodyfat (by 4 point Jackson-Pollock caliper method).

The cardio portion of NROWFIZS starts tomorrow.
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I finished my third workout in Stage 1 yesterday and hope to do the fourth tomorrow. Have any of you seen quite significant changes to the shape of your body? I'm not as interested in losing weight any more but I want to be trimmer and more athletic looking. I also do yoga and run.

I have started this program before and gave up after about 4 weeks because I wasn't seeing any results at all. I am hoping that adding it into my usual running/yoga routine will at least keep me from getting bored.

I am just starting stage 4 and I have noticed significant change in my body shape. If you go as heavy as you can with your weights it should work for you. If you look at the picture of me in my swim suit on my profile you can see some change in my body shape (although my weight is exactly the same - strange I know?!?!?)
  • kensky
    kensky Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have seen significant changes. I don't have stats but there are before/during pics of mine floating around here somewhere. I am down to a size 6 (sometimes a 4 depending on how vain the sizing is) down from a tight squeeze-12.

Tomorrow I want to start Stage 6 if only I can figure it out! I need to reread that part of the book. Anybody done this stage before and want to break down the weird rep/range rest/time cascading weirdness for me?
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I finished my third workout in Stage 1 yesterday and hope to do the fourth tomorrow. Have any of you seen quite significant changes to the shape of your body? I'm not as interested in losing weight any more but I want to be trimmer and more athletic looking. I also do yoga and run.

I'm currently on a break, but I was at the end of Phase 1 when I had to stop (to let my shoulder injury heal - still waiting for that...), but I was DEFINETLY seeing changes. My arms were looking good!! I could actually SEE my triceps!! And my biceps and shoulder caps were definetly looking great. Even with some fat left to loose, I could see my arms changing a lot! And my back was looking good too. I could feel my legs and butt muscles too, but my legs are still to fat to actually "see" the muscle - but I know changes were happening - I could feel it (and yes, I found myself rubbing my legs and butt in bed at night just to enjoy my hard work LOL)!! I was lifting heavy though - and I was eating just slightly below maintenance (like maybe 250-300 cals below), eating lots of protein and adding 300 calories back to the days I lifted. Two days a week, I did sprints or tabata after lifting (25 mins or less) and then did an aerobic class for 45 minutes later in the day. Then on one other day I did 30 minutes of aerobics. I'd try to get in one more cardio session, but to be honest, I mostly rested the day after lifting because my muscles felt like they needed it and I REALLY wanted them to grow. Anyway, it seemed to be working for me. I'm not slowly trying to get back into it but my shoulders are being difficult! I really want to try phase 2!!
  • neela31
    neela31 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I really want to get this program started. I need a squat rack. Any recommendations?
  • tolygal
    tolygal Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I really want to get this program started. I need a squat rack. Any recommendations?

I saw one at ****s Sporting Goods that I really really want to get for home. But, I don't have the space - when we build our new house and I have my workout room, I will also have a squat rack!!!! (who knows when that will be...... it's my dream)
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. Stage 1 Workout A/6 in the books. Really loving this program. Im getting stronger and stronger every week
  • kensky
    Options
    Re: Stage 6 aka The Pullup Stage. I love it! I am still so super sore from Monday's B workout that includes 5 sets of reverse crunches on the incline bench that I really felt it during today's A workout. I am already taking longer to drop from the assisted pullup machine and I am now lifting 80 lbs of myself instead of last weeks 70 lbs.

I am contemplating staying in this stage until I can do an unassisted pull up...or until December (when I'd like to do something similar to Stronglifts 5x5)....whichever comes first! *smirk*
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Hello everyone. I've been surfing looking for weight lifting programs and stumbled onto your thread. It seems that most of you are doing the program at a gym - anyone doing it at home? I'd like to hear if 1) the program is suitable to weight-lifting beginners (I've only done Jillian Michaels dvds in the past) and 2) how viable is it to expect to be able to do this from home?

I look forward to hearing what you have to say!
  • baisleac
    Options
    Hello everyone. I've been surfing looking for weight lifting programs and stumbled onto your thread. It seems that most of you are doing the program at a gym - anyone doing it at home? I'd like to hear if 1) the program is suitable to weight-lifting beginners (I've only done Jillian Michaels dvds in the past) and 2) how viable is it to expect to be able to do this from home?

I look forward to hearing what you have to say!

I'm doing it at home. It is eminently suitable for beginners. Some exercises have to be adjusted for the lack of gym equipment, but the book offers those alternatives.
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    Baisliac - thanks for the input!
    I read in a book review on amazon that the following is necessary for at home (I copied and pasted their list):

"For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs. That's a quote from the book.
    * Set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide alternatives (using a barbell) if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

Do those of you at home use all this?
  • baisleac
    Options
    Baisliac - thanks for the input!
    I read in a book review on amazon that the following is necessary for at home (I copied and pasted their list):

"For those hoping to do this routine at home, here's a list:
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs. That's a quote from the book.
    * Set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates
    * Set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding)
    * Incline/Decline Bench
    * Step Platform
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide alternatives (using a barbell) if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed.

Do those of you at home use all this?

* Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs. That's a quote from the book. - Non Olympic barbell, 15 lbs instead of 20kg.
    * Set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates - Currently have 150lbs worth of plates, will buy more as we need them. (from 25 lbs plates to 2.5 lb plates)
    * Set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments - Set of adjustable dumbells that use the same plates as the bar.
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding) - Our weight bench has an adjustable rack (lower for bench press, higher and reversed to pick up a barbell for squats). My husband and I spot each other.
    * Incline/Decline Bench - Our bench inclines, but does not decline.
    * Step Platform - We have a "step" platform for our Wii Fit Board (6" total), my daughter's "get to the sink" step (8"), a steam trunk (12"), and chairs (if we ever get that high (18" & 24").
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball - We each have one of these. $15 at WalMart.
    * Chin-up/Pull-up bar - Again $20 at WalMart, Gold's Gym doorway pull up bar.
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide alternatives (using a barbell) if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed. - Nope, we use the alternatives, and sometimes figure out our own based on what muscles are being worked and what we have to work with. (Pendlay Rows work my lats a lot better than Pull Overs).
  • kensky
    Options
    I have a pro-gym bias so keep that in mind when I say I do think you could do this at home. He offers lots of resistance band alternatives in the actual book. I get a real charge of using the olympic bar and weights but I think you could do goblet squats with heavy dumbells and even deadlifts with dumbbells.

I wish he gave a list in the book. I think the list would be more like:

Adjustable dumbbell set
    Resistance bands (I think he refers to these for home use when he talks cable machine exercises to the gym-goers)
    Swiss ball
    "Aerobic" step (I bet this or the Swiss ball could be used for incline/decline stuff)
    doorway chin up bar (though you could skip the Chin Up Level I'm currently all jacked up about)

Also, I think the program is absolutely fine for beginner level lifters. That's what it's designed for, in fact.
  • 13hirteen
    13hirteen Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Just did A4 today and I'm really getting into it.
    I'm especially loving the squats (although I'm still working on my form), deadlifts and prone jack-knife.

I'm probably worst at push-ups - even on an incline, I tend to lock my elbows and not descend far enough, so I need to work through that.

I'm going to a pretty well-equipped gym, which - even better - is populated by a lot of really experienced lifters with a great attitude, so I have access to a massive range of weight increments, and I'm building up every session. I was so amazed when the 15kg on an Olympic bar that I started out squatting with felt like nothing at all just a week and a bit later.

NROLFW rocks. :)
  • boyflowerbird
    Options
    Can I safely do NROLFW along with TurboFire? I just started TurboFire last week. . . I am mostly concerned about the book's constant reminders about resting at least 48 hours b/w workouts, etc. TurboFire is pretty much six days a week.

He does say in the book that a kickboxing-type cardio, which TurboFire is, would work well with the program.

Also - I am in the beginning stages of weight loss and still have quite a bit of fat hanging around (about 33% BMI). Would I be better off to focus on cardio with TF for 12 weeks and THEN move to the NROLFW?

I also swim 3-5 miles a week. . .
  • baisleac
    Options
    Can I safely do NROLFW along with TurboFire? I just started TurboFire last week. . . I am mostly concerned about the book's constant reminders about resting at least 48 hours b/w workouts, etc. TurboFire is pretty much six days a week.

He does say in the book that a kickboxing-type cardio, which TurboFire is, would work well with the program.

Also - I am in the beginning stages of weight loss and still have quite a bit of fat hanging around (about 33% BMI). Would I be better off to focus on cardio with TF for 12 weeks and THEN move to the NROLFW?

I also swim 3-5 miles a week. . .

I'm doing an Insanity / NROLFW hybrid... just don't lift for more than two days in a row (which means we also don't lift and do the Plyometric Circuit and then lift again with out a rest and/or Pure Cardio day in the middle).
  • baisleac
    Options
    * Olympic barbell: 7ft. long bar weighing 45lbs. That's a quote from the book. - Non Olympic barbell, 15 lbs instead of 20kg.
    * Set of barbell plates, including 2.5lb. plates - Currently have 150lbs worth of plates, will buy more as we need them. (from 25 lbs plates to 2.5 lb plates)
    * Set of dumbbells, ideally in 2-3 lb. increments - Set of adjustable dumbells that use the same plates as the bar.
    * Squat Rack (I'm not kidding) - Our weight bench has an adjustable rack (lower for bench press, higher and reversed to pick up a barbell for squats). My husband and I spot each other.
    * Step Platform - We have a "step" platform for our Wii Fit Board (6" total), my daughter's "get to the sink" step (8"), a steam trunk (12"), and chairs (if we ever get that high (18" & 24").
    * Swiss Ball, also know as a stability ball or exercise ball - We each have one of these. $15 at WalMart.
    * Adjustable Cable Pulley Station: the author does provide alternatives (using a barbell) if you don't have access to this apparatus but then goes on to list reasons why the alternatives are flawed. - Nope, we use the alternatives, and sometimes figure out our own based on what muscles are being worked and what we have to work with. (Pendlay Rows work my lats a lot better than Pull Overs).

Crap, I missed the edit deadline... I wanted to add that we got our bench, barbell, dumbells and plates off of Craigslist. $75 for the lot. No need to spend a fortune, which in our one (low) income household is not an option.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options

Crap, I missed the edit deadline... I wanted to add that we got our bench, barbell, dumbells and plates off of Craigslist. $75 for the lot. No need to spend a fortune, which in our one (low) income household is not an option.

I've got pretty much the same set-up, except I have actual Aerobics steps b/c I found them at Goodwill. Most of my liting equipment is Gold's Gym brand from WalMart. Barbell was ~$20-25, Dumbbell bars were $5 each. I currently only have 2.5lb, 5lb, and 10lb weights, b/c I just couldn't afford a full set all at once. Similarly, I haven't bothered buying the chin-up bar yet, b/c that's not til Stage 6.

So it's very doable, and there are things that you can buy in increments to spread out the costs. But if you can find a great deal on craigslist, like baisleac did, definitely go for that, as it'll be a lot cheaper in the long run. Hope this helps. :smile:
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    So the extreme heat has gotten the better of me. I haven't lifted in over a week or worked out at all in about a week. (My last workout was a run, and only b/c it was raining and I wanted to COOL DOWN!! :noway: You know it's hot when you go for a run to COOL DOWN!!) My apartment (which is where I lift, too!) has no A/C and no ceiling fans; I have one oscillating fan that I keep at the end of my bed so that I can attempt to sleep. I've postponed breakfast a couple of times so that I could eat at work because I was so hot when I woke up that I felt slightly sick. :sick:

So now that I've complained, on to my question/reason for posting: Should I redo Stage 1 before moving on to Stage 2? Or maybe just redo the last few workouts? I never did 1B8 or the Special workouts, and I was just getting to the point of feeling challenged by my weight selections, so I'm not sure if I want to try and repeat the workouts I'm used to, or move on to Stage 2. Any thoughts?
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    Thanks for all the input everyone. I'm going to get the book ordered and start surfing Craigslist looking for stuff!