Senior Golden Sneakers -April 2011

Options

Replies

• CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    crabsandfigure.jpg

This is a sand figure. Made in Cannon Beach Oregon. Started as tide went out completed and judge befpre tide came in and wash it all away. Sent to me by forward e-mail
  • marlouise
    marlouise Posts: 286
    Options
    Hello sneakers, just a quick jot. Been busy cleaning out the dustbunnies, put a few florals together to brighten up the house, artificial flowers,because the cats eat the real ones. Tidied up the gym so it is ready for tomorrows visit.

IRENE, you visit when you feel you can, <<<<hopes the new meds do the trick>>>>> :heart: :heart: :heart: for you!

Keep up the work ladies, we must be strong and focused, so determined nothing gets in our way!

Marilyn
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    xfhcgj.gif
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Good evening Sneakers. I had a lovely day today visiting a spring flower festival at a local stately home with friends. The sun was out and everyone and their dog seemed so happy to be there and of course the love of flowers and gardening brought like-minded people to the show. It felt like we walked miles so I didn't mind indulging in a large Cornish pasty for my lunch, Mmmmm!!! Works out at about 500 calories but I don't care because it was delicious. Another friend dropped in this evening with a huge bunch of daffodils for me and they look a picture of springtime on my coffee table.

Phoebe ~ Yes, we pretty well follow your seasons although I think our spring is longer than yours as you seem to jump from winter to summer in many states and I remember when I lived in Toronto, summer one year turned to winter almost overnight and forgot autumn altogether. I think that was a freak occasion though.

elli ~ That Zumba sounds great fun so I'll give it a go when I get the chance.

Debz ~ Another welcome and congratulations on giving up the dreaded weed. I understand your feelings at the first Zumba session because I remember I felt awkward at my first few line dancing classes, especially when one time I did an amazing spin but came out of it turning in the wrong direction and took off down a line that had everyone else hurtling towards me. The lady nearest to me let out an amazing scream as she realised we were going to collide!! I have to say I still laugh out loud at the thought of it!!!:laugh:

Irene ~ Good on you for going for the clinical trial which will hopefully help you and future sufferers. You most certainly do have a heavenly father caring for you and my voice will be one of many sending him a little prayer.

Buzz ~ Thanks so much for the comments about my weight loss. Needless to say I'm really chuffed (delighted, pleased, over the moon!!). My senior moment of going to the wrong thread was where Natalie came into my previous post so don't worry my love, you are not losing it, I am.:laugh: Still, I gained another friend so it was destiny that took me there.:smile:

Kathy ~ Welcome to you also. As others have commented, it's not easy to shift the first couple of pounds but do stick with it as, once your system adjusts to the routine, the pounds really do come off.

Lynn ~ I too had to learn Joyce Kilmar's poem at school but obviously didn't do such a good job. It doesn't surprise me that you've written poetry. Your love of nature and all things beautiful shines through.

Marie ~ What a stunning sand figure and to think all that creative work was washed away by the tide after such a short time sitting on that beach.

As ever it's past my bedtime so I'll wish you all pleasant dreams when you get there. My decision in the morning is whether to take a 3 mile walk around the local lake or dig trenches for potatoes. I'll definitely sleep on that one.

Jackie:flowerforyou:
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    Sorry about that previous posting, but I had just finished 3/4 hour of making it a point of answering each and every one of you, including the absent ones and brand new members, when a huge GROUP ON .com ad took over my site with the unfinished post and WHAM! It was gone, floating off somewhere in cyberspace! I swore then and there everything would go on Notepad, but here I am, tempting fate again!
    I just wanted to tell you about bagels and Buzz;... Years ago my son moved to Kauai, HI, and there were no bagels there. He was mucho sad, and when Mike and I married, we went to Hawaii and dear son requested we bring some bagels. You know , "some" for your kid, means bring 3 dozen mixed bagels, and that's what we brought on and stored in the overhead bins onboard! It used to be the flights were quite elegant, with lovely meals served, and there we were, with our garlic, onion, and what-have-you bagels stinking up the entire plane while the stewardesses in their lovely Muu-Muus set down our filet mignons adorned with orchids on each plate! Sniffing to figure out what they had done wrong! It was pretty crazy, and thank goodness
    a Brooklyn Bagel Baker moved to Oahu at the same time my DS did, so this caper was never repeated.

I hope IRENE saw that being on a Research Program saved the life of my sister, in stage 4 OV cancer! 11 years ago!

I can't redo that previous post....and of course it had to be a gem, right? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously, I found the Toufayan Smart Bagels suited my need better than all the others. Calories 100, decent protein and fiber. I've asked them to look into lowering the sodium - 230g- but they're all about the same in sodium. They toast nicely, I use whole wheat, and I found the others actually too sweet! I'm used to them now. What they now call mini bagels are not much smaller than the ones that were regular bagels when I was a kid in Boston. Then bagels ballooned and today they are huge! If you ever get to NY, find a good Jewish Deli and try a toasted Bialy. WOW!

Can't do the separate lists tonight, too tired but I'd like to announce that yesterday I left the OBESE ranks, and am now just a tad high on the Overweight BMI! Whew, thought I'd never get there!
    Love all those pictures and greetings and I'll be back with more patience next time! :drinker:
    Buzz
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Buzz, yay for you! Your plan is working, because You are working it! Congratulations!
    your story about the smelly flight is a good one, oh for the days when we were 'guests' instead of customers on planes. You made me think of that. Cant imagine that long flight with such fragrant bagel but at least it was a good smell! Coulda been worse.

Jackie, enjoy your tomorrow, whatever you choose, the walk sounds wonderful to me.

Maddie, I saw your wabbits, lol!

Judy, how are things at Christchurch now? I know the event was overrun by the disaster in Japan, but it still is tragedy in both countries.
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Oh what a beautiful morning, Oh what a beautiful day, I've got a beautiful feeling, Everything's going my way! :smile: I almost always feel like this after I've been with the family and today was no exception. I married into a wonderful family, and we added to it nicely, even if I do say so myself. :bigsmile:

Well, I had good luck eating at Hoss's today....broiled scallops and a small portion of mashed potatoes so I had room for a brownie. YUM! :tongue:

Lynn, I got to thinking about all the vitamins etc you list, so I added my calcium chew which ended up putting me over my calorie allowance. :noway: I think that's the only thing I take that has calories (some days I take another at the end of the day if I haven't had enough dairy) but I'd better investigate further tomorrow.

Except for church tomorrow, we have NO plans and I'm really excited about spending the afternoon just doing what the spirit moves me to do.....reading, walking, photography......

Before I sign off, I want to share something: :flowerforyou: Here's why I feel comfortable about this support group.....if we fall off the wagon, we admit it; if we gain, we change our ticker and restart; if someone discusses a problem or a hurt, they get warm fuzzies; if someone has a different point of view, we listen without arguing and then do what is right for our own situation.......it's a loving and beautiful thing.

Nightie, night! :yawn:
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Okay ...all you ladies across the pond...You are having Mothers Day tomorrow?? Is that correct?

If so,:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy Mothers Day!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,970 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Here's why I feel comfortable about this support group.....if we fall off the wagon, we admit it; if we gain, we change our ticker and restart; if someone discusses a problem or a hurt, they get warm fuzzies; if someone has a different point of view, we listen without arguing and then do what is right for our own situation.......it's a loving and beautiful thing.

This says what I've been thinking only couldn't put it into words.:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I was careful about my eating (Subway for lunch, banana and yogurt for snack) so with the walking on the ferry and during breaks and exercise bike when I got home I think I'll stay within my calories for the day.:bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: I had a wonderful day with a bunch of friends at an all day meeting. getting up at 3 AM was the first challenge and the ferry ride was very bumpy
    it made walking laps around the passenger cabin a challenge but I figure that I burned extra calories trying to stay balanced as the ferry rocked and rolled :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: hugs to all of you :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    I think you all have posted some good post today.
    Makes a fellow feel good. I like Maddie pep talk this morning , a good way to start the day.
    And Dee came in with some good thoughts on why we like this support group. Buzz hit anothe milestone.
    sandy getting a tan.
    Lyn going be walking her butt off this month Gosh it sounds like she will be walking around the world..
    Phoebe still riding the roads from Ga. to Ca.
    Gayla s till a night owl . Always have been.Since i have known her.
    Connie, Still gigving us some good advise.
    Barbiecat staying good on a hen party.Nobody but her could do that.
    Jeri taking on another grandkid What a great Grandma she us.
    Elli Rumble jumble or something or maybe hot yoga

May the Sun shine brightly on all of the Sneakers tomorrow.
    Good Night.:heart: Marie

:

.:

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Good Evening All,

Well, I rested up for quite a bit of the day, after having to get up early to take the twins home. Then to the lab for blood tests, etc. for our annual check up. I read, watched tv and hung out. then I convinced myself to go down and ride the exercise bike for 30 minutes. Glad I did.

Still snowing here. I think it is supposed to stop tonight.

Good night all,
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Deb and Kathy - I live in NZ so a day ahead of most of you (a day behind in my postings) LOL I'm sure you will love this site like I do..all .very friendly and supportive. Dee, you summed it up very nicely.

Hi to everyone else- you sure have been busy on here today...daylight saving finished here this morning which has put me all out of kilter...it will be getting dark about 6.30 tonight so a long night.

I spent all morning in the garden - cleaning up for the winter..I don't bother too much about planting - just some pansies and some tulips around the roses. They always look scraggly at this time of year .Pruning is not until July so I will just have to grin and bear it.

Thanks for your interest Phoebe - the CBD (central business distric) is still closed to everyone - even the shop owners have not been allowed to get back in to retrieve any of their belongings...lots of bodies have not been recovered, so of course they can't be identified which means in turn, the families have not been able to farewell them with a funeral service....a very difficult time for thousands who are still homeless and thousands out of work due to their workplace being destroyed...very sad.

JUST A TAP

A passenger in a taxi leaned over to ask the driver a question and gently tapped him on the shoulder to get his attention.
    The driver screamed, lost control of the cab, nearly hit a bus, drove up over the curb and stopped just inches from a large plate glass window.

For a few moments everything was silent in the cab.

Then, the still shaking driver said, "Are you OK? I'm so sorry, but you scared the daylights out of me."
    The badly shaken passenger apologized to the driver and said he didn't realize that a mere tap on the shoulder would startle the driver so badly.

The driver replied, "No, no, I'm the one who is sorry, it's entirely my fault today is my very first day driving a cab.
    I've been driving a hearse for 25 years.
    Options
    Lol@ Judy!!
  • weagle8183
    weagle8183 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Oh my heavens, I thought I would try a Slimfast this morning for breakfast since hubby and I will not be going to the gym and I figured I would not need the extra fuel to sustain me through a workout. 30 minutes later and I am hungrier than I was when I got up this morning! The last time I drank one of these I did just fine but I'm not sure I can make it through church this morning without passing out or eating the bulletin!! And after comparing the calories of the Slimfast and my usual Cheerios...I only saved about 5 calories...not worth the growling tummy!

Mind over matter right???
    Hurry up lunch!

Have a great Sunday! :-)
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    FIRST: JUDY: That was soooo funny...No need for me to post a joke today. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lynn and I have been exchanging emails about my post yesterday and I'm going to share my last reply to her:

Lynn: For you, you had a plan and you stuck to that plan as best you could allowing for a special meal with special people. That's not the same as just always eating what you want and then saying, "it's ok, tomorrow is another day". And, I wasn't talking about those who fall off the diet, give in to temptation and have a bad day...we all do that, too. It just seemed to me that there's a lot of eating whatever folks want for whatever reason they want to use and then we, the group, encourage that.......

I think what hit me was that Sandy works so so so hard and then when she says that she's going to blow it on vacation, everyone says, that's ok enjoy yourself! If the plan is to work hard so you can blow it on vacation, then go for it.....but I think Sandy has a long term plan and that's where supporters should at least tell her to be careful.....you know that we all feel like crap after we blow it on purpose!!!

I've never been a part of a group that was so thoughtful and so supportive like this one....great, fabulous women.....but support does include tough love and we all need it. Sandy is the one who gives me tough love and I appreciate it. I guess everyone doesn't.

Buzz said the best thing yesterday....she's out of the obese category! I never even considered that an option for a goal.....but I do now and when she said that, she actually stopped me from having another slide last night. And Marie understood....she has a plan!

One last thing. For those of you that only have a few lbs to go, the feelings will be quite different than those of us who have a long way to go......if I hurt anyone's feelings it was not my intention......if anyone wants to defriend, I'll understand. I'm not always funny, sometimes I am serious about what I want and need. I just hope that you all are, too. :heart:

Maddie :heart:
    Options
    Maddie, you make some really good points, and a lot of sense. Thank you. We must remember that some people are more fragile than others, and when they tell about their obvious bad decisions, food wise, they may not be looking for tough love. They may just want to know that we are still here as friends even when they are not making as much effort as they have in the past. We dont want someone to feel they have to stop posting here because they dont want to continue their diet or plan. I am curious why some of the regulars are not posting now. I hope they did not get tired of us.

Ive got a headache this morning, so I will come back later when it eases.
    have a wonderful Sunday
  • elli
    elli Posts: 593
    Options
    happy sunday buddies!:heart:

Had a great afternoon with my "Ks" yesterday - the baby has a terrible case of baby exzema though (don't know how to spell that). Any suggetions moms/grandmas????? She doesn't seem bothered by it - it just looks red and icky! poor little kiddo. She was 11 weeks old yesterday. So smiley and chattery and cute! I fixed them a cashew chicken dish so i didn't have to worry about eating that - it was the homemade brownies..........:tongue: but since that was all i ate for supper (yea yea, not very healthy) i stayed under calories.

MARIE - i love you - rumble juble or maybe hot yoga!!!!!!!!!!!!:laugh:

happy mother's day to people who are celebrating that today!

We're all ok - weather we want to "cheat", stay super strict, or not track calories at all. Just so long as we make an attempt to stay as active as we can, stay as healthy as we can and be here to love and support one another.

It is SO freaking windy here today - and i had the kids leave their dogs with me - we were planning a long walk but i really can't stand walking in the wind. We have lots of wildfires going on - not so much down here on the plains where i live - up around my mountain property though:frown: scary.

sorry i didn't respond to anyone - i didn't take notes. going to work on some inside stuff today and work out later on this afternoon. have a great day everyone!

:heart: elli
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    ELLI, poor little one. One of our granson's has eczema too. It is not as bad now but was partly caused from allergies to milk, eggs and pet hair -- among other things. I know they bathe him every day and he saw a allergist and had allergy tests -- poor little sweetheart.

Finally stopped snowing and I think it is supposed to be a beautiful day.
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Maddie Another great post. That is telling it like it is. I think we all needed that.

I had a bad night llast night. My blood sugar dropped real low woke up with a terrible sweat , confuse the whole works. Had to wake jJerry up to go get me some milk and he brought a cookie with him back. and I ate it. The milk alone would have work.it took about 30 minutes to feel normal again, I guess I over does on my insulin broe bed time.Also my feet is so swollen So I took an extra 1/2 water pill this morning. I had shrimp for lunch and look it yo on the food chart and I think those shrimp used all the salt up in the ocean. So nor more shrimp for me.

Well Judy tried a slimfast this morning and left her feeling hungry. i tried then 20 or 30 years ago and they did not help me I still ate.

Buss is not obease anymore. Wonderful, I went to the doctor one time and he gave me the paper work to leave at the desk but I forgot and on the back he had written obease on it. I never thought I was obease. He put another word it front of it but I forgot what
    Well I am really horrible obease and got to take care of that.I have broken that 200 mark so many times in the last 3 years A regular YOYO. I am just oz'z of breaking it again. You will hear me yelling for jpy when I do. WW got me down to 125 lbs back in 1969

Barbiecat has told us that for the past 3 years to Find a plan and stick to it. I should have lissten to her.I am still looking. for one that satisfy me and lose weight. too.

My son just hit 75 lbs. lost after 6 months. He sent me pictures of him this morning. He had that weight loss surgery. I was worried that when he comes down in two weeks that I would not reconize him. But I think I would.

Lets do what this website is design for. Mike has put a bunch of tools in for us to do just that. althou I don't know how to used all of them

Jeri , you snuck in on me while I was posting. , No snow What a shame. soon we will be wishing we had some when it get in 100 mark.But for now we are enjoy this spring time weather And Judy is getting ready for Winter.
  • viliberty1957
    Options
    I hope IRENE saw that being on a Research Program saved the life of my sister, in stage 4 OV cancer! 11 years ago!

Since I've gotten involved with the clinical trial, several people have told me similar stories about themselves or family members or friends. I feel encouraged. I begin on Wednesday. Just two days to go. Love you all. God Bless! Irene