Senior Golden Sneakers -April 2011

Options

Replies

• LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Kathy, you make a good point!!!! :flowerforyou:

I'm glad that even though a 100% vote is not in, I have not been kicked out of the Sneaker....:blushing:

I am a very fun loving, joking around kind of girl, ok....old girl but I get really scared sometimes. I have been fat all of my life. I've had all of the fat childhood, teenager and adult hurts that I'm sure most of you are familiar with. Now, I just don't want to be fat when they bury or burn me up!! :huh: (No hurry for either one:noway: ) I'm tired of it, I'm tired of the struggle and every slip could mean the end of the fight.......it's easy to say that tomorrow is another day but one of these days, I just might quit and that's not what I want for myself or for any of you. I've lost the same weight so many times, it makes me nuts to think of it. I've dieted with so many friends who have also failed that every day is fight day and I don't want it to be OK with anyone when I'm not fighting hard enough. :ohwell:

Now, I know that everyone is not like me.....and I can usually sense who needs tough love and who needs tender encouragement. I try to do that through my messaging on a personal level. If anyone wants to send me a "kick my *kitten*" message...go for it!!! I might cry but I'll.....well, I'll eventually stop crying..:sad:

So, here's my message for today.....
    untitled-2.jpg SO NOW GET UP OFFA THAT THING....
    dance-1.gif

Maddie:heart:
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    jeanieghb1.gif:heart: :heart:

Happy birthday , Lynn. you always make my day a little brighter
    Dance and sang your heart away
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Marie
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    Marie: I love her....I didn't see her or I would have taken it first!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Maddie
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Happy April Everyone and a Good Morning,

I just got back from taking care of the granchildren in St Peters, MO they were on Spring break, we had such a great time, got to see all the movies they wanted to see like Rango and Hop I really enjoyed both. Took trips to the Science Museum and the Art Museum at the Art Museum had the Maya Aztecs History and was fantastic, the kids loved and the both took friends, talk about a challenge :noway: :noway: :noway: since they were not allowed to touch anything.

I tried to post when I got back from Florida not sure if you guys got to read it. My Mom is not doing very well back at the Hospital
    this past weekend but she is home now.:love::love: :love:

I'll read all the post since the new month, hope everyone is doing well and healthy, went to the Gym for the first time in weeks
    was great. I will be home for a while. So good to be back home and posting, I miss you all.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Gigi
  • gigi46
    gigi46 Posts: 196
    Options
    Hello everyone me again,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Lynn, many many more:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Have a wonderful day.

Gigi
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I know it must seem like I have something to say on every subject since I am not shy about expressing an opinion. That said, I've been sitting back and watching/reading the comments since Maddie bravely pointed out the elephant in the room.

We are all here because we are addicts and food has been our drug of choice. We can rationalize our choices until the cows come home; we can make excuses until we are blue in the face; we can point the finger of blame in myriad directions. It doesn't matter. We are in this predicament because of what WE have done.

If this were a support group for heroin addicts, would we so easily excuse lapses? Would we say, you've worked so hard all month, go ahead and shoot up this weekend. You've earned it!

For many years I listened to my morbidly obese mother-in-law rationalize and excuse not only her weight, but that of her daughter and son (my husband) by saying it was "heredity," "thyroid" problems, etc. She ate very little at dinner time and would point that out to anyone within ear shot. Then I had occasion to spend a couple of days in her house and I watched her graze throughout the day. She couldn't bake a cake without eating spoonfuls of the raw batter. She baked cookies with what was left of the dough after she had eaten a quarter of it while preparing it. She ate more in the preparation than most of us would eat during a meal.

That mentality is certainly "hereditary." My husband carefully watches his portions at meals, but between meals, eats every half hour. He relates stories of he and his grandpa baking custard pies while grandma and his mother were out of the house, and then eating half of them before they got home.

Unlike some of you, I was not "fat" as a child, teen, or young woman. I weighed 118 pounds when I got married. I am 5' 7" tall. I could eat anything in any amount and not gain an ounce. After four kids, and a hysterectomy I weighed 135, and didn't gain another ten pounds until I reached 45. Then menopause hit, and slowly i started to gain weight until, about 8 years ago, I weighed in at 220 pounds. I was wearing size 22 jeans, 2X tops and was miserable. When my husband had his first heart attack, we both began to watch what we were eatings. He dropped 80 pounds and I lost 50. The problem was, we were on a "diet" - and thought of it as a temporary thing, not a change in lifestyle. In the six years since then, i gained back 30 pounds and he gained about 50.

So here I am again. I hope I have learned from past experiences that this isn't a regimen of constrained eating and increased activity. I have to remember the root meaning of the word diet. it comes from both the Latin and Greek and in its truest translation means a "prescribed way of living."

So do I screw up? You betcha. Night time noshing is still a problem for me. And I don't log the banana, piece of toast, handful of almonds, and peanut butter sandwich I seat between midnight and 3:00 am when I finally fall asleep. It's the area I need to work on most. I've got living in the daylight pretty well under control.

Connie (the night nosher).
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    What a wonderful post Connie. I do think this thread is changing I don't need to be told all my goofs up is OK I think I am doing better now. No,..... I know I am. before i always thought there is always tomorrow but you know my quality of life is in short supply.......I need to make everyday count. Not be told that a slip up is Ok It want hurt But It does One bite leads to another. One lb leads to 2 What a viciouse circle.Bless Our....... dear Maddie...... heart for getting us on the road to a better life. Come on sock it to us girls.I started this thread to lose weight, not to make excusse. Which for the last 3 years I have. been just using this thread as a chat chat. thread Do we wont to be a..... pity pot....... or so we want to do get this fat off forever.. I can't remember who gave us this sayin g. I think it was from Jackie But that is where I been. No More.will I be a pity pot.
    Come on who is on this crusade with us. Let me hear a bunch of Yea!!! Lets all get serious. It will take all of us pulling together to make it happen Love you all. Thanks Maddie, Connie and Barbiecat I am going to be on the yellow brick road heading to a healty life.
  • pinkperil
    pinkperil Posts: 5,072 Member
    Options
    Hello Sneakers, can I add a story about this mental struggle to maintain a healthy lifestyle? I was slim until 3 years ago and must admit I had little or no patience with those who found themselves overweight. Tut, tut, just need a bit of self control was my response to their struggle. Then a year of heavy work schedule including unsociable hours hit me and I watched my healthy eating habits fly out the window. Knowing my weight was gaining I just ignored the scales and pretended nothing was wrong. Not only that, I binged on food because it was impossible to follow any sort of routine. I did finally manage to lose the gained weight over a year and felt really pleased with myself and so much healthier until this past winter when off I went again, ignoring the scales and stuffing myself with comfort food. No excuses this time!! When a friend came to stay a week or so ago I told her about this site and what I was trying to achieve and for several days was teased about being on a diet even though I explained that's not what I'm doing this time. Hard work but she understood in the end!!:bigsmile:

So, what I'm rambling towards is an agreement with others who've commented on the fact that what we ARE doing is making healthy eating and exercise a way of life. I think I've got my head around this now, in fact I know I have because not only did I stay away from copious glasses of wine when my friend visited, I've just made myself a cup of tea and when I opened the cupboard to take my 3rd and 4th biscuits of the day out of their tin stood and said out loud "i'm not hungry, I don't need them". Slam went the door and I felt at that point not only had a battle been won but the whole bloody war because I know I will not slip down that slope again.

I think every one of you is special and an inspiration to me. That's all ladies. I'm now off to cook myself a healthy supper!!

Jackie:flowerforyou:

PS Marie, I stole that pity pot from someone when I first joined the group. Think it may have been Sandy's. If you want to borrow it I can do a deal!!!:laugh:
  • Lafla
    Lafla Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Happy Birthday to you, Lynn! I hope you have a wonderful day.

We are off to do our mall walk and then going to my son's restaurant for lunch. Please don't hate on me.

Take care, Gayla
  • lyn54
    lyn54 Posts: 415
    Options
    Hello Everyone!

Thanks for all the Birthday wishes! :flowerforyou: I am having a great day. Yes, there are tornado watches and warnings. My dh and Ihave already took shelter once today. I am still having a wonderful day!
    Two years ago, I almost died. Today is a celebration of life. A gift from God. How could I not have a great day?:happy:
    My DH :love: had an early, surprise celebration for me yesterday with my close family and friends. It was a wonderful day, too!:happy:

This site, to me, represents a melding of minds. Everyone has their own feelings and ways to deal with them. This site is an extension of our way of life. Democracy. Some on here are mild souls and some are tough. Marie invited me to this site. I thank her for that. :flowerforyou: Since that time there have been several that have come and visited. Some stayed, some left. I think each person on here adds what I like to think of as "spice of life." I have always dealt with a lot of people. I dealt with them in my church, my family, my friends and my work. No one person handles things the same way. Personalities are different. It would be a dull world if every one was exactly the same.
    I had to change my way of eating and work to make it my lifestyle change, over 8 years ago. I didn't eat any sugar, dairy, white flour(wheat) and many processed foods for over 4 years. I ate all raw foods and veggies. Later I added fish. Then organic beef and poultry. Not all the time. I still don't eat any of those things on a regular basis. I don't bring things into my house that I know are going to cause me to do that. I had a box of honey buns in here that dh bought back last winter. I ate one of those. I told about it. Barbie reminded me to get them out of the house. I did. Truthfully, I can't eat sugar or drink anything with sugar in them. If I eat a little bit of something, it gets richer and richer. That is because I have been off of it for so long. I ate, maybe, a half of a piece of Birthday cake yesterday. That's all I could stand. I did it because I know myself. If I hadn't ate that little bit, it would have wore on my mind. Now, I remember that I can't stand sugar. It didn't come home with me and I don't want anymore. That's how I handle it. Sometimes, as a human, I tend to forget. I do my same little routine everyday..and over time the memory of a thing goes away. So, then I remember and I recommitt myself to it. That might not work for some people. If you have an addiction...it certainly would not. I was like that too, 8+ years ago. So, what works for you is what you need to do. We may fool ourselves but we really know ourselves.
    I think Maddie had a point.:flowerforyou: Connie made a good point :flowerforyou: I think Phoebe had a point.:flowerforyou: I think Dee had a point. :flowerforyou: I think Marie had a point.:flowerforyou: I think Barbie had a point. :flowerforyou: I think Jackie had a point.:flowerforyou: I think a lot of you have said things that are relevant to weight loss. :flowerforyou: :drinker: What I do as a participant on here is watch and study the plans and actions of the people who post. Some things I think may work for me and some I discard. That doesn't mean it isn't a good thing. At one time or another and in some way, you have all been an inspiration.:flowerforyou:

Gayla....I expunged hate from my vocabulary, about people, years ago. Enjoy your time with your family and your son!

So...thats enough serious talking for me.

Blessings to all,
  • delraybuzz
    delraybuzz Posts: 2,779 Member
    Options
    I've decided to do something about my sodium intake finally, so I'm planning my intake right here BEFORE I eat! Now I can see what harm I'm doing by being unaware of what goes into the big mouth! I'm thrilled with waking up to my intake before it harms me more than it already has. I know not every one has to watch sodium, but I retain so much fluid I can gain 3 pounds overnight, so I will attempt to be more careful. Bought some of those Microwave Steam Bags, and will prepare almost a whole day's main dish in them. My flounder was really not as bad as expected, but would appreciate any cooking tips you good cooks can give.
    I finally got in front of my TV and did a couple of programs this morning from the Exercise channel. I guess I felt better, or at least as though I'm starting...AGAIN... to control what I can for my destiny!

GAYLA, so nice to see you pleased with Neil's liking to return home. Makes life a bit more pleasant:wink: And great you and Dave could finally relax and just enjoy the day.:heart::heart: :heart:
    JACKIE, Helen Hayes, bless her heart, was almost right :ohwell:
    DEB, you sound like one busy lady! Don't be concerned about individual recognition; it really probably isn't necessary, but something we fall into as we start to "know" one another! Just relax and feel comfortable...:wink:
    Oh, MADDIE< thou art too darn clever for words; that birthday greeting is the tops!:love:
    KATHY SAID
    my exercising will improve my health, reduce my blood pressure and cholesterol and hopefully keep me around for my precious grandbabies for a very long time
    and may I add to achieve this mostly for yourself!? You mentioned every point I told myself yesterday, so we're both starting out again for the same goal, even though I thought I understood it! :wink:
    DEE, thanks for sharing that with us. I guess we all have something that finally tweaked us, in desperation, to look for help, and lucky us, we found each other! :bigsmile:
    MADDIE (again)
    I'm glad that even though a 100% vote is not in, I have not been kicked out of the Sneaker..... If anyone wants to send me a "kick my *kitten*" message...go for it!!! I might cry but I'll.....well, I'll eventually stop crying
    How could you EVER even think we could continue without you, dahlin' girl? NEVER:noway: NEVER:noway: NEVER:noway: :love:
    MARIE, hope you are feeling better today, luv. Remember when you couldn't figure out how to do those wonderful "photo" things? You've gotten to be so terrific at it , and I love your additions! I must get off my duff and learn how to do them! How's Jerry?
    GIGI, so nice to see you back, too :heart: ..I missed your Florida post, unfortunately. Does your Mom live in Florida? So sorry about her problems, but it sounds better now. It's a tough decision when kids become responsible for parents, and we don't want to put them in that position, but the closer we come to making those decisions, the more difficult they become!:ohwell: We sure thought we had the solution, but every time we visit these "Independent Living" places, we feel like we are seeing our grandparents!:noway: ...Will we EVER feel ready to move?
    CONNIE, Oh WOW, am I looking in the mirror? When we grow up slim, that's how we think of ourselves always, no matter what size we become. Until a saleslady suggests going to one of those Large Women's stores, and we must really face facts! As usual, you put you brilliant finger right on the problem; yes we are ADDICTS; and thank you (and MADDIE) for pointing it out!.:flowerforyou: And YEA MARIE and JACKIE for seconding and "thirding" our intended goals! Maybe we all fell into the friendships here and tended to forget WHY we're here in the first place!:embarassed:
    LYNN, what a beautifully expressive post! Sensitive, tolerant, non-judgemental, and YOUR lovely birthday present to US :flowerforyou:
    Buzz
  • debzwill
    debzwill Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Hello again Sneakers,

Maddie: Thank you for inviting me on here and also for your very honest posts. You have reminded me why I joined and I want everyone to tell me as it is even though I might not like it. You woke me up:flowerforyou:

Lynn: So pleased you have enjoyed your birthday:happy:

Connie: I too am a night nosher and trying desperately to kick that habit. I am making it my goal this month to go to bed earlier and if I do fail one evening then I shall log it into food diary. But I AM NOT GOING TO FAIL! I am only harming myself by not logging it:grumble:
    Lets give up night noshing together:flowerforyou:

Marie: A massive Yea I'm in:bigsmile:

Gayla: I hope you enjoy your time with your family. :drinker:

Jackie & Lynn: Yes I agree, I am on here to make my life a longer and healthier one by making it a lifestyle change and not just another diet,:smile:

I went to my extra Zumba class tonight. It was tough after such a busy weekend, my knees are aching and my extremely red face is only just calming down, but it felt good too if that makes sense:huh:

Maddie & Marie: I love your picture thingys! I don't know what they are called. They always make me smile. Where do you find them?:bigsmile:

I am off to bed now before I am tempted by my evil fridge:devil:

Goodnight everyone and Godbless:yawn:

Debzxx
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Bu I do hope we can all continue our great friendship for years to come.you all have a special place in my heart. God bless you all. I have been working on our birthday list to get it updated. I will be posting it on our Birthday link. as soon as I hear from a couple more Sneakers.
    :heart: Marie
  • LUV2CRUZ
    Options
    He is the thank you dancer....I hope!!!

141374640_l.gif

Maddie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi all, drove all day, read posts, but cant remember and cant catch up!
    Lynn happy birthday, and many more.

Buzz, does your nutritionist recommend a set amt. Of sodium per day? The doctor just told my aunt no salt, and I think she has overdone it. She took all the food with sodium in it to her daughters house! I think she is going for 0 sodium! But I couldnt get a word in sideways, so I just listened. It seems her blood pressure has gone way up, and it scared her so the dr. Scares her more by saying 'STROKE!' She went home crying! I told her she needed to call her other daughter and. Talk about it with her coz she's. A nurse.
    Maddie, love the mouse, does he move? He doesnt on my phone.
    buzz, the ones I havent seen apost from recently are Barb, Birdie, Joann, and Pam. Gigi checked in and we know xyla is recovering from her surgery.
    got to scoot
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    257724qzzhy39no4.gif

Happy Birthday Lynn :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

:flowerforyou: Gayla, Jake and I really like to watch curling but it's hardly ever shown on TV in the US :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: :sad: we saw a lot during the Olympics

:bigsmile: Kathy, thanks for the reminder about health being important right along with looking great :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: when my husband started his weight loss journey, the first thing I noticed was his increased energy after a few years of being a couch potato.

:flowerforyou: Maddie, this thread would be so lonely without you......you have added so much to my life and to all of us......this is not Dancing With the Stars so nobody can get voted off

:bigsmile: Gigi I'm glad to see you back again...:cry: sorry that your mom is not doing well

:flowerforyou: Connie, bravo for your wise words...you are so right on about how nobody would encourage a "clean" drug addict or a sober alcoholic to indulge after a period of sobriety...one of the best decisions I made at the beginning of this journey was to give up recreational eating.

:flowerforyou: Marie, you are right on......this used to be a chat thread and now it's become more of a support group for people on a life and death mission

:flowerforyou: Jackie, congratulations on saying no to the wine and biscuits :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

:flowerforyou: Lynn, I think peanut butter may have to be kicked out of my house......it seems to be calling to me when I'm not hungry.

:flowerforyou: Buzz, you did a great summary of the whole discussion, thanks

:bigsmile: Deb there are a lot of great places to find pictures and funny stuff----glittergraphics, free simileys, Photo Bucket and probably a hundred more......it just takes time to google and explore and experiment

:bigsmile: Phoebe, I set my sodium limit at 1600 mg which is what I think is recommended for people with high blood pressure......."no salt" might mean, "don't put salt on anything" there is sodium in many foods and your body needs some to function but not the 4000mg + that is the average in the American diet If I stay away from bread, cheese, and all processed foods I have no trouble keeping my sodium under 1600 mg

Dancing with the Stars was great again, now I have to vote and go to bed :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Well, I actually disagree with a lot of you....we are all here on the same journey, whether we have 5 lbs to lose or 100...we are all equal and feel the same way when we look in the mirror...it's not about being judgmental- we all give it our best and bust our guts to lose the weight but I feel that the dynamics of this forum have changed and I am disappointed,...

..Marie, you said it had been going well for the past 3 years...why change it???? Why shouldn't Sandy enjoy her time away without the diet police telling her she has to be careful. Why make it public what was said to Lynn privately and we don't know the full story....she must be hurting and I am not going to be a part of it... I try to live by what I posted about being kinder to people - we don't know what battle they are facing...
    Options
    Good Morning everyone.
    Judy, I understnd your concern, and I hope you will not leave us. I have enjoyed visiting with you and look forward to getting to know you, and NZ better. Im not sure about Lynn being upset, I dont think she is. Im sure Lynn knew about the posting. If not, I dont think she minded it. I agree with you tht no one should be judged by their own personal choices.

I went bk to page one, and went thru each post as best as I could. Not counting Sndy, I found three posts that wished Sandy to not worry about her calories and, they seemed perfectly fine to me. In keeping with a public forum general courtesies, post should not be criitical or mean spirited. I dont think anyone wishing Sndy to not worry about her calories was at all critical or ill intentioned.
    There will always be differing opinions on messge boards. There Should be. Indiiduals are free to say what they feel, and they should not be offended by a differing opinion from their own. The only problem might be in misinterprettion, or improper wording, which was not intended to harm.
    Options
    Plz excuse , I hit the post button too soon ! Anyway, I found sometimes the best wy to disagree with someone on a public forum is to be silent. It doesnt mean you cant continue to post in the way you choose. As an example , I will wish anyone having a special occassion to enjoy it to the best of there ability, and not to worry about the food so much, i wouldnt want to miss a good time coz I was trying to count calories instead of having fun.
    Anyone who feels offended when I tell them to not worry about food, well, all they relly have to do is ignore me!
    My two cents worth, and then some!
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Phoebe there is no way could anyone get 0 sodium/ Its everwhere not just the added sodium but our natural foods has sodum. eggs, Chicken, fish,our fresh veggies. Just to mention a few. But our bodies need some sodium..So I wouldn't worry too much about her. I don't know where it comes from. but it is there. Just watch the hig salted stuff. We all know what they are.Box stuff TV dinners and that Salt shaker. I have been using pepper and garlic myself. Love it. but I still get more than i should.

It is rather chili here in my area of Texas this morning really feels good after serveral days of really . warm days.But it will

I had a good night last night no low blood sugar. Had a bowl of cereal before bedtime. Being on insulin I have to eat more often not any large amount or any binges. Just in moderation. No one should judge another for they don't really know what they are going thru. Matters closed for me..Bless you all.

Well getting Old brings it problems. And I am in the mist of it. But I have a loving husband and children and we will make the best of it. Having you all as friends is a wonderful thing. Got to remember to sign my name for Buzz request us to, I have a request when you copy a quote someone says put their name at the top of it so we know who it is from. Some of you already do it. and I thankyou.

Sandy, waiting to hear about your trip. Did you come back with a tan? Lovely warm weather there in Ar. Down right hot.

Dee you have lost so good on WW . so proud of you. You seems to be a busy old gal.You atalk of photographic.What do you photo? Is this a hobby or your business? Nosy gal. I am.

Judy, you stay busy with your garden.

Deb if you need anyhelp learning to post pictures just ask. I am not good at explaining things but Connie Sandy and a few other are really good at it. I am a dumb computor user. I have a sugestion if they would make a thread on any problems we have so we can refer to it a and not have them go over the same thing. over again. I have one I like to see.

Well I am going to sew on my quilt now and stayed out of trouble. Keep me out of the fridge too.

:heart: :drinker: :heart: Marie