Senior Golden Sneakers -April 2011

Options

Replies

• fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    GAYLA and BARBIE my DH loves to watch curling and I enjoy it too. As a matter of fact he got the grands watching it too when we were babysitting when the Brier was on. As a result of that my DD signed them up for curling lessons. They are 8 and 10. They loved it. 

As for the whole OTHER discussion, I guess I lean to Judy because that is what works best for me. For me the best way to lose weight is the long slow way. Sometimes along the way I stop and have a break by enjoying myself with a little extra. Life is too short not to do so in my mind. And when I do it will sometimes show on the scales as a gain or a slow down. But that's okay too, because if I have a good supportive group like this one, I can easily get back on track.  It has taken me 1 1/4 years to lose this 30 lbs., but I am in the most control I've ever been. Over that time I have been on a 3 week road trip including Vegas, a cruise and a vacation in San Diego -- not counting birthdays, holidays, etc. I am doing well and I am learning how to lose weight the slow and easy way. 

Now I know this doesn't work for everyone as we are all different. But for some of us, it works great. 

So off my soapbox, the day looks great. Who do you think will be voted off DWTS?

Cheers
  • CALIECAT
    CALIECAT Posts: 12,530 Member
    Options
    Well spoken Jeri. you got a smart head on you.
  • Sandydur
    Sandydur Posts: 9,087 Member
    Options
    happy_belated_birthday.gif

First things first!!!

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY LYNN :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Deb wrote:

Connie: I too am a night nosher and trying desperately to kick that habit. I am making it my goal this month to go to bed earlier and if I do fail one evening then I shall log it into food diary. But I AM NOT GOING TO FAIL! I am only harming myself by not logging it:grumble:
    Lets give up night noshing together:flowerforyou:

Connie replied - Deb, I like this idea very much. I've sent you a friend request and made my "confession" for last night. If we do this privately each morning we won't bore the other Sneakers to death and we can hold each other accountable.
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Sandy wrote....(and thinks she regrets it)
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: Hi from Tucson :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Don't ask about calories.........but I did go to the pool and swim so that counts for something. The time difference messed me up as far as posting calories for Thursday but I guarantee I was over anyway. :sad: I am not going to worry about anything since we are having such a good time, my son is coming with his girl from Phoenix on Saturday and will spend the weekend with us. My granddaughter is waiting for my laptop so just wanted to pop in and say hi!! Thanks Connie for starting the new thread.

Talk to you soon.

I hope this will be the last of the postings on this, since it seemed to cause such a stir. :blushing: First let me begin by saying I lost a pound while in Arizona so I did not eat everything in sight. :laugh: I am conditioned to eat healthy and even though I made that remark about the calories all I meant was that I was not recording while on vacation. :noway: I did eat some foods that I normally don't eat at home, but calories are always in the back of my mind so if we are in a restaurant I order what I think is healthy. I don't eat sweets and as you know I gave up junk food for lent. This did not change and even though I had thought I would gain a pound or two I did not, so all worked out well for me. I did do some swimming and moved around in the pool, but all in all I went just to have a good time and that is what I did. :bigsmile:

As far as those who told me to enjoy myself and not worry about calories I know they did not mean to go out and eat a horse. They just wished me well and knew as soon as I returned I would get back on my program. There is a difference in my life then in some of the others, please don't be offended by what I am going to say. :love: I have worked hard to lose the 16 pounds I have lost, it took me a long time because I still want to live my life and have fun, I can't define it by food alone. :noway: If I cheat now and then, I don't beat myself up and yes I whine to you, because you are my friends and tell me to get over it and get back on track. The difference for me is that I am within one pound of my goal, even if I went on vacation and gained 5 pounds, it would have been worth it to me. I would not have been happy, but as it turned out I lost a pound. I do understand what a battle some of you go through and I don't encourage you to do what I do, but what keeps me going and keeps me coming back is the friendship we have developed no matter what we talk about. I am not sure if there is a right or wrong way to lose the weight but getting healthy is our common goal. What works for some doesn't work for others, but supporting each other is all that counts. :heart: :heart:

Let's get back to the jokes and funny stories and along the way if someone needs a hug or a kick in the butt, we are here. :heart:

Have a great day!!!!
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    Judy, I don't think it is being judgmental to remind someone of how hard they've worked to get to where they are and to suggest an alternative to cake.

This thread has been going for several years and has had a natural ebb and flow. Beneath all the posts there is a very real, very strong base of love and understanding. Not all of us agree on every point. That's a healthy thing. I, for one, cringe when i hear about South Beach, Atkins, Weight Watchers, DHC, and all the other "diets" because I know they are not sustainable. The Over Eaters is working for dear Marie at the moment but what happens when she doesn't have someone to send her eating plan to? Atkins works (I've done it) but it is not sustainable - you simply cannot do it for life. But all in all, that's just one person's opinion.

Last thing we should do is back away from a healthy discussion. There are good points being made on each side of the table. The support being offered is not just for fat loss, but it is life support, too - help in turning each page, living each day, digging out of every hole. And along the way there are occasions for celebration.
  • tlp8rb
    Options
    OK, Sneakers. I need some advice. it's time to purchase a new pair of walking shoes. I used to buy New Balance but in the past few years they keep changing their styles. When I find a model that fits perfectly - I can't find it again when its time to replace the old and at $50-$60 a pair, I can't afford to experiment.

I've seen the new styles with the rounded bottoms that claim to burn more calories and build more muscle. Has anyone tried them?

What is your favorite brand/style of shoe. My criteria are fit, comfort and durability. I need a heavier sole as I do most of my walking on gravel roads. I don't want to feel each piece of gravel through the bottom of the shoe. I want to be able to put them on right out of the box and walk three miles without getting a blister.

Keep in mind, too, that I live in a small town and am 100 miles from any major shopping areas. I'm not opposed to buying online if I know what I'm getting. HELP
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Thanks Sandy you have really been a good example to all of us. I have notice a big change in you in the last several month / You got what it take. I love your new pic too . Who would ever guess you are a almost 70 year young granny. You are a sweetheart. to be looked up too. that makes this a sucess thread for you have lost almost 20 lbs and kept i off for 3 years. WTG.
    :heart: :drinker: :heart: Marie
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Orthaheel
  • LUV2CRUZ
    LUV2CRUZ Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    So Ladies, I luv ya but this is my last post. While I meant no harm, I see that some are getting a little mean. I thought everything was cleared up and we could move on to something else. This has to end, so I'm ending it.

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow, we may die!

Maddie
  • Sandydur
    Options
    Maddie said:
    So Ladies, I luv ya but this is my last post. While I meant no harm, I see that some are getting a little mean. I thought everything was cleared up and we could move on to something else. This has to end, so I'm ending it.

Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow, we may die!

Maddie

That controversy is over, so let us move on!! We don't want you to leave any more than they want me to leave. DO YOU??
    :laugh: It is a new month with new views and new people, just hang with us Maddie, we love you. :heart: :heart:
  • Sandydur
    Options
    I forgot to welcome the new people.......:blushing:

Hi Deb........Glad you joined us.

Hi Kathy........welcome to our little group.

Did I miss anyone???

I better get my laundry done, house back in order and then hit that stationary bike. Ugg.
  • pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA
    pjsatticPhoebeWaleskaGA Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Maddie, why are you doing this? No one has been mean. We all have opinions, we can't all agree with the other, how dull that would be. If you are offended plz be courteous enough to tell us why so we can apologize to you. Don't leave
  • oldtyke
    oldtyke Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    First of all, please Maddie don't go. I know I haven't be around much lately, (still struggling with the Glums) but I've been reading posts. The trouble with forums is that the posts don't allow for the inflection in your voice. I have often , on other forums read what I posted and it looked far different than the way I meant it, so I deleted it.
    I hope you will all forgive me if I don't mention everyone when I post. I find concentrating hard at the mo, my attention span is not what it was. But to all that need prayers, I shall ask my Angels to help.

"I've seen the new styles with the rounded bottoms that claim to burn more calories and build more muscle. Has anyone tried them? "

I have a pair of Skechers. I haven't noticed any difference in my legs after the first couple of days, but they're very comfy, and make your feet look huge, but I'm taller than my OH when I wear them.

Cool and breezy today, but the forecast for tomorrow is 20 degrees :bigsmile: So I'll be out in the garden soaking up the vitamins.

I do love the food diary on here, I find I'm able to keep track so much better. I haven't counted calories for years, but this makes everything very easy, so I'm going to do it every day.
    My exercise I am keeping to about 40 mins and easy. If only someone would give me the recipe for sleep!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yawn:

So take care everyone, I'll be popping in and out, Judi xxx
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Brooks.....nurses use them. Great arch support.
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    Hey, I'm FINALLY back. I posted a couple of times in March and then got swamped with finishing up a season of digital pics for 2 basketball teams, a slideshow with one, and 6 scrapbooks for graduating seniors on the other team. I'm going to check with one of the girls to see if she would mind me posting pics of it here, I'm proud of how they turned out. I do digital scrapbooking (learning) because if I start one more messy hobby, quilting is bad enough :laugh: dh will kill me. Last 2 weeks have been just trying to catch up on all the things I let slide, financial records & getting taxes done. That is finally caught up too. I need to get back to living part of my day on this site. I've been really struggling with eating and journaling since the beginning of the year. Luckily the exercise is helping to keep it from becoming a complete disaster, but my 'middle' number has gone up rather than down more so I need to get down to business the way I did from Sept-Dec.

Marie--well you said you'd like to get to know me a little better, so here goes :smile: I quilt, which I haven't done for AGES, because my sewing room looks like something blew up in it :embarassed: A year ago last fall we started a MAJOR landscaping project that we finished up last spring, a memorial to my dad who passed away the year before. He left me some $ and I wanted something that would be a lasting tribute to him. Part of the project is a 12x20 foot pond (I've never been able to do the metric system so sorry I can't convert :noway: ) It has 3 levels, a waterfall and is 3 feet deep in the deepest part. The first fall I added 5 fish, last spring 4 of them had survived the winter. I also had put in 2 water lilies which I lower to the bottom level for winter (me in chest waders is a Kodak moment :laugh: ) I added 3 more fish, including one koi that was about 2 inches long, 8 more lilies & a variety of water plants last spring. Our friends who designed and helped us with it said it "it is not a toy, but an ecosystem" I never realized how true that was :ohwell: In early summer we had a toad living in the skimmer box. He sang at night, very very loudly I might add :noway: A few weeks later I discovered WHY he had been singing, when I went to feed the fish there were literally thousands of tadpoles in the pond. Ok, so I don't like things jumping at me and I was afraid I would have the Egyptian plague on my hands :noway: so I did scoop some out :embarassed: I ended up not really having things jumping at me so this year I will put it in the hands of Mother Nature. One day later in the summer when I went to feed the fish I thought I needed to have my eyes checked because I thought I saw minnows :noway: ! Yup, the eco-system thing, dozens and dozens of minnows and I could tell who'd been partying because they looked like their parents--seriously. I have a calico fantail goldfish (white, orange, black) and there were black, orange, orange & white & some calico minnows out there! Went with the survival of the fittest theory to see who survived the MN winter. I thought for sure the koi wouldn't make it since it had grown from 2 inches to at least 8. Well, all 7 of last year's beginning residents made it along with quite a few of the offspring. Should make for an interesting summer :laugh: Put the waders back on on Saturday and retrieved the lilies from the bottom and all 10 survived and many of them already have leaves starting. One, that I've wintered twice has grown enough that I need to split it into 2.:smile: Because I have some pretty major back issues the landscaping was made as low maintenance as possible, primarily perennials. I LOVE to watch the rebirth in the spring :smile: This garden is a really big deal for me because dh's idea of landscaping is 'pour concrete and paint it green'! He is a total perfectionist so it is pretty doggone cool.

Sorry this has gotten so long,...from now on I will take time to keep up on the activities of my MFP family every day! Now, laundry awaits :yawn:
  • fancyladyJeri
    fancyladyJeri Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Judi says

"I've seen the new styles with the rounded bottoms that claim to burn more calories and build more muscle. Has anyone tried them?

I have a pair of the MBT's. I like how they feel to walk in but I haven't noticed a big difference. I am actually part of a study group. Half of the participants wear them, half their wear their own shoes. That's how I got them. We wear them for a year and then they test our strength etc,

So let you know in a year LOL
  • CALIECAT
    Options
    Maddie, Sandy said it all......Amen.

Marie
  • Grandee47
    Grandee47 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Jeanne (piquilter), I got so excited when I read your post! :bigsmile: I am a retired elementary teacher who quilts and learned digi-scrapping over the past three years. We need to talk!!!!! Do you know about Scrap Girls? Awesome place! I took up photography when the grandkids started coming and that led to the digi-scrapping because like you, my quilt studio most of the time looks like a bomb went off in it and I don't have room for scrapbooking. Now the studio is divided into four parts......I gave my DH one piece of wall for his office, and I have all the rest for quilting, computer area and photography. I love that part of the house. It's a generous room, so I am extremely fortunate.

Looking forward to talking to you!:flowerforyou:

Dee:smile:
  • piquilter
    piquilter Posts: 119
    Options
    Dee--OMG are you the second sister I never had :laugh: Can't tell you how much time and $ :blushing: I spent at ScrapGirls, I wish I'd known they had sales practically every other day, because when I first discovered it I ordered a BUNCH of stuff & paid full price!:frown: We DO need to talk :laugh: