can I start a PCOS Vent your frustrations Thread? lol

Options

Replies

• jennable
    jennable Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    7 year old IVF twins! Still dealing with the weight, hair, and acne, but thankful for my kiddos. :) Hugs to all of you!
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    HI ladies,
    I've been reading up on PCOS as I think I may be a victim. My weight has been plateaued for about a year now. I might lose 5lb but then it comes back and I consistently eat very healthy. I have had problems with acne, but now have it under control by using Proactiv. I have also noticed several wirey hairs on my chin and I have two cysts on my right ovary. I go back tomorrow for a follow up ultrasound to see if the cysts have changed in the last 6 weeks. Im 31 years old with two children and have not had problems up until a few months ago (however I was on the pill for about 12 years prior to having children). It started with my period being a week early, pain on my lower right side (which I found out was the cysts), bloating, pain during and after intercourse, another irregular (and painful) period accompanied with headaches, backaches and thigh pain. Do these symptoms sound like PCOS? Maybe I'm reading into it too much???

Could be Endometriosis.....
    Similar yet different

Edit:
    My Story:

My grandmother and mother both suffered from Endometriosis and it actually caused my mother to have 3 miscarriages - once before I me and two inbetween me and my baby brother. She had to have a hysterectomy at 35y.o.

When I was 17 we discovered that I had an Inguinal hernia. The doctor says I was most likely born with it and it just took 17 years to give me problems. While trying to diagnose what was causing me pain, I had to have an ultrasound and they were concerned then because the tech spotted several ovarian cysts. I use to have HORRIBLE pms and periods....like cold sweats, doubled over and in the fetal position pain. They got better after I had my daughter but sex was still very painful for the first 18mos after. My doctor urged that I go through the official steps to diagnose me with Endometriosis; she knew by my sypmtoms & regular exams that I did but they weren't sure how bad and what a c-section has done to aggravate the problem.

Over the years, my physical pms has gotten worse and lasts longer; sex is generally uncomfortable and now makes me thankful to be single; I have more back pain and generally have pain with bowel movements during certain times of the month.
    Most of this I can deal with....I don't have a regular doctor anymore due to insurance reasons and my insurance is so crappy that I still can't really afford to go to the doctor's for all the testing I need to see how bad it's gotten.
    (I still get my annuals b/c I qualify for a free plan first program through planned parenthood so I know there's nothing worse going on)
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 6heatherb6
    6heatherb6 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Oh ladies...I feel you all. *sigh*
    Me too...so much :(
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS at 22, 30 yo now. Can't believe it took any/all of my doctors from 12 to 22 to put the pieces together and make this diagnosis. Unpredictable cycles? Check! Mass quantities of unwanted hair in strange places? Check! Difficulty losing weight and eating carbs? Check!

I'm trying ot lose weight so my hubby and I can TTC but I am literally TERRIFIED of 1) Not being able to have babies and being rejected by my hubby because of it, 2) Forming cysts and getting ovarian cancer if I go off birth control, and 3) That no one will ever find an effective permanent hair removal system that works in conjuction with hormonal abnormalities.... leaving me with some form of five o'clock shadow for the rest of my life or going broke on razor refills (tweezing hasn't been an option in some number of years).

The most terrifying part of all? Knowing that the best I can do is watch what I eat, exercise, and take a daily hormone based contraceptive to counter the mass amounts of testosterone pumping through my body. If anyone ever comes up with a "cure"/pill for this you bet I'll be first in line. Every time one of my friends has a kid or gets pregnant (quite often at 30 yo), I cringe at the idea of going to yet another baby shower, another christening etc. where I'll be asked by everyone "is it your turn next?"
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    HI ladies,
    I've been reading up on PCOS as I think I may be a victim. My weight has been plateaued for about a year now. I might lose 5lb but then it comes back and I consistently eat very healthy. I have had problems with acne, but now have it under control by using Proactiv. I have also noticed several wirey hairs on my chin and I have two cysts on my right ovary. I go back tomorrow for a follow up ultrasound to see if the cysts have changed in the last 6 weeks. Im 31 years old with two children and have not had problems up until a few months ago (however I was on the pill for about 12 years prior to having children). It started with my period being a week early, pain on my lower right side (which I found out was the cysts), bloating, pain during and after intercourse, another irregular (and painful) period accompanied with headaches, backaches and thigh pain. Do these symptoms sound like PCOS? Maybe I'm reading into it too much???

Could be Endometriosis.....
    Similar yet different

Edit:
    My Story:

My grandmother and mother both suffered from Endometriosis and it actually caused my mother to have 3 miscarriages - once before I me and two inbetween me and my baby brother. She had to have a hysterectomy at 35y.o.

When I was 17 we discovered that I had an Inguinal hernia. The doctor says I was most likely born with it and it just took 17 years to give me problems. While trying to diagnose what was causing me pain, I had to have an ultrasound and they were concerned then because the tech spotted several ovarian cysts. I use to have HORRIBLE pms and periods....like cold sweats, doubled over and in the fetal position pain. They got better after I had my daughter but sex was still very painful for the first 18mos after. My doctor urged that I go through the official steps to diagnose me with Endometriosis; she knew by my sypmtoms & regular exams that I did but they weren't sure how bad and what a c-section has done to aggravate the problem.

Over the years, my physical pms has gotten worse and lasts longer; sex is generally uncomfortable and now makes me thankful to be single; I have more back pain and generally have pain with bowel movements during certain times of the month.
    Most of this I can deal with....I don't have a regular doctor anymore due to insurance reasons and my insurance is so crappy that I still can't really afford to go to the doctor's for all the testing I need to see how bad it's gotten.
    (I still get my annuals b/c I qualify for a free plan first program through planned parenthood so I know there's nothing worse going on)

The bolded part I had issues the same. With the discomfort during sex and bowel movements and sometimes simple urination my Dr went in through laproscopic procedure and cut away all of the scar tissue that had connected my female organs with my liver, colon, etc.

I have been able to be more pain free since he did that and that was back in 2004.
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    The numbers point to about 10% of women in the general population as having PCOS, it's not uncommon. If you are obese, your odds jump to 1/3. That's what my obgyn told me.
    It is common and a lot of women aren't diagnosed until they are having fertility issues.
    It does run in families.
    Knowing what I know now, I can spot the symptoms in women a mile away.
  • AmyBoogie
    AmyBoogie Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with this about 8 years ago.
    I ovulate like a champ supposedly, but all the other stuff....yeah. Never had a regular period, weight gain, hair (oh god, the hair)....

I am thankful to the diagnosis, though. It explained so much and made me feel like I wasn't nuts because of all the symptoms that no one else seemed to have.....
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    The bolded part I had issues the same. With the discomfort during sex and bowel movements and sometimes simple urination my Dr went in through laproscopic procedure and cut away all of the scar tissue that had connected my female organs with my liver, colon, etc.

I have been able to be more pain free since he did that and that was back in 2004.

I have an appt the 8th of Oct. I caved. I figure I'll just discuss payment plans with them.
    More annoying than the physical crap is how frustrated and depressed ya end up feeling
  • glitteringloke
    Options
    Knowing what I know now, I can spot the symptoms in women a mile away.

It's funny how that is. I've managed to convinced at least one other friend to bring it up with her doctor and lo and behold... PCOS. (I've also managed to diagnose endometriosis and lupus in other friends... Maybe I was a doctor in a past life...)

What makes me most disappointed is that there are women that just don't 'get it.' a friend on another fit site I recently left was dropping weight left and right while I lost a few, put them back, etc. she just told me to eat 300 calories under my limit.... I was eating 500 under. But although we're strangers, we're like family <3 I feel a little less bad about my morning shaving spree.
  • jamminjuliette
    jamminjuliette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am also a victim of evil PCOS. I've lost only 10 lbs and have been stuck for over a month at it. I'm only 19 so I don't know how it's affected my ability to have children, but I completely understand the hair and the aaawwffuulll periods. I also get pretty bad acne from it. I was diagnosed at 12 and luckily only had 2 cysts since then that have ruptured.
  • lbg257
    lbg257 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    uch--I had to do IVF because of it but fortunately got pregnant first time around. Now though I think it is slowing me down with losing weight.

Is anyone on metformin? Doc just recommended it.
  • Bimmy80
    Bimmy80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi girls,

It's not all bad! I was diagnosed at 19, I'm 32 now, and yes I feel I've been dealt some pretty bad luck but I do have some answers to some of the things I've just read on here...

1) Metformin - YES. I was on it, came off it, went back on it and would never come off of it again. They don't give you nearly enough information on using it or what to expect in the first month or so so here are my tips...
    * Start with one tablet in the morning, drink with a big glass of water about an hour before you eat breakfast
    * You can expect in that first couple of weeks or more you'll have the runs and your stomach will be noisy, maybe a little gas - it's normal and if you wait it out it gets better, it did for me anyway
    * After a month or so I added the second tablet (my dose is 1,000mg per day). As per the above, it does play with your system but it's worth it when you need to 'go' soon after you eat - it means your metabolism is working which is the point for most of us right?
    * Don't take a pill if you're planning on drinking. Not only do you get drunk faster, your hangovers are so much worse. Every now and again I have a big night out and I take a pill in the morning but not in the evening before I go out. You can test that theory, it may be different for you, but for me and my two girlfriends, there's no way you can do both and be able to get out of bed the next day before lunchtime..!

2. Hair - I have been trialing Coolglide, it's a particular type of laser machine which is hard to find but I believe, after much trial and error, is the best one for PCOS. I am pale with dark hair and am trying it out on one area first, eight treatments in and the hair is finer and is starting to get patchy.
    Unfortunately - there's no faster or cheaper way that I've found to get permanent hair removal. As with most things that comes with the joys of PCOS, it takes ages, but eventually you get there.

3. I had chronic migraines for years which landed me in hospital for two or three days and eventually, I switched to a progestogen-only pill which has been fantastic - birth control AND migraine free! The one I take is Noriday.

4. Acne - I have a cure! It takes ages and you have to follow the instructions to the letter, but if you visit www.acne.org, I swear, it will work. I had been on all sorts of antibiotics and pills and Roaccutane etc etc and nothing worked, I tried this because I was desperate and it works. It took about three months, way longer than the site says but it DID happen and if my skin can be clear, anyone's can!

NOW - back to me!

Is anyone with PCOS doing this 1200 a day thing and it is working?? I am on week four - week two and three didn't go so well and I think it might have been because I was eating sugar?? Even though I could (I would still come under the 1200 lmit), I seemed to put on weight? Has anyone else found this?

And any other tips?? So far I've been too scared to weigh myself in case this is yet another thing that won't work but tomorrow I'm making myself buy a pair of scales so I can track how it's going.

Any words of advice or encouragement out there??? Or comments on the sugar thing??

x
  • Lobster1987
    Lobster1987 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    PCOS sucks donkeyballs. I got diagnosed at 15. I'm almost 25. I'm over it, but the whole having a manbeard can go suck an egg!

Just sayin'....
  • xtina1129
    xtina1129 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Was told I had PCOS at 12. I'll be 28 in Nov. Having to make sure my side burns are plucked before leaving the house is quite annoying. Losing tweezers sends turns me into a frantic nut case! And eatting carbs.. might as well drink a gallon of bacon fat. :/ I was doing REALLY well with my losses.. was down 47 lbs. Took a weekend off, had cake and ate out a few time to get on the scale to a 12 lb gain!!!!! 12 lbs! in 2 days! WTF!?!?! grrr.. PCOS and I are not friends.
  • xtina1129
    Options
    not to mention the lovely fat roll/flap I started getting in my lower ab at 12.. even though I was thin! Yes.. BS... buying pants is a flipping blast! My hips, thighs and butt need a sz 12... my waist needs a 16. BLOWS!
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Hi girls,

It's not all bad! I was diagnosed at 19, I'm 32 now, and yes I feel I've been dealt some pretty bad luck but I do have some answers to some of the things I've just read on here...

1) Metformin - YES. I was on it, came off it, went back on it and would never come off of it again. They don't give you nearly enough information on using it or what to expect in the first month or so so here are my tips...
    * Start with one tablet in the morning, drink with a big glass of water about an hour before you eat breakfast
    * You can expect in that first couple of weeks or more you'll have the runs and your stomach will be noisy, maybe a little gas - it's normal and if you wait it out it gets better, it did for me anyway
    * After a month or so I added the second tablet (my dose is 1,000mg per day). As per the above, it does play with your system but it's worth it when you need to 'go' soon after you eat - it means your metabolism is working which is the point for most of us right?
    * Don't take a pill if you're planning on drinking. Not only do you get drunk faster, your hangovers are so much worse. Every now and again I have a big night out and I take a pill in the morning but not in the evening before I go out. You can test that theory, it may be different for you, but for me and my two girlfriends, there's no way you can do both and be able to get out of bed the next day before lunchtime..!

2. Hair - I have been trialing Coolglide, it's a particular type of laser machine which is hard to find but I believe, after much trial and error, is the best one for PCOS. I am pale with dark hair and am trying it out on one area first, eight treatments in and the hair is finer and is starting to get patchy.
    Unfortunately - there's no faster or cheaper way that I've found to get permanent hair removal. As with most things that comes with the joys of PCOS, it takes ages, but eventually you get there.

3. I had chronic migraines for years which landed me in hospital for two or three days and eventually, I switched to a progestogen-only pill which has been fantastic - birth control AND migraine free! The one I take is Noriday.

4. Acne - I have a cure! It takes ages and you have to follow the instructions to the letter, but if you visit www.acne.org, I swear, it will work. I had been on all sorts of antibiotics and pills and Roaccutane etc etc and nothing worked, I tried this because I was desperate and it works. It took about three months, way longer than the site says but it DID happen and if my skin can be clear, anyone's can!

NOW - back to me!

Is anyone with PCOS doing this 1200 a day thing and it is working?? I am on week four - week two and three didn't go so well and I think it might have been because I was eating sugar?? Even though I could (I would still come under the 1200 lmit), I seemed to put on weight? Has anyone else found this?

And any other tips?? So far I've been too scared to weigh myself in case this is yet another thing that won't work but tomorrow I'm making myself buy a pair of scales so I can track how it's going.

Any words of advice or encouragement out there??? Or comments on the sugar thing??

x
    Unfortunately (or fortunately) the symptoms you show are due to insulin resistance. If you are insulin resistant (pre-cursor to type-2 diabetes) metformin will help you. If you're not, it won't.

The majority of people with PCOS and likely to contract type-2 diabetes. This is because of a diabetic pre-didposition.

PLEASE, of you are diagnosed with PCOS have a doctor test you for insulin-resistance. It makes all the differance. I can't stress this enough.
  • xtina1129
    Options
    I'm on metformin.. honestly cant say its helped a ton.
  • LouiseRose92
    Options
    Might I add, I've tested as not IR but I get these lovely symptoms!
  • Bimmy80
    Bimmy80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Xtina have you tried cutting out wheat and gluten?? Doing that has helped me heaps, every now and again I lapse and go on a massive wheat-binge and I really notice it - bloating, significant weight gain, acne breakout, bad sleep, more pain etc etc