Asked my Trainer re eating back calories

Options

Replies

• meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.

My trainer also has a degree in nutrition and she said the same thing. She also told me to increase to between 1300 and 1400 per day...but that has nothing to do with how much I burn. Personally I see the biggest differences when I eat clean calories vs. crap calories. I do not agree with eating back every exercise calorie though....I eat some if I feel hungry...your body will let you know.
  • heatherterp
    heatherterp Posts: 239
    Options
    great information thanks for the post!!!!
  • debzeeU2
    debzeeU2 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
  • stacymama5
    stacymama5 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Thanks you so much for sharing the information. I have often wondered about that and I guess I now have my answer.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Very well put *applause*
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

Hello-

I also asked my certified trainer who also her degree in nutrition. And she told me that eating back your exercise calories defeats a major part of exercising for weight loss. If I am exercising for strength and mental well being, then that's one thing.

The 1200 calorie goal (from clean foods--not junk) is intended to provide your body with the nutrients, vitamins and minerals to function while creating a caloric deficit. Your body IS getting the nutrients it needs and exercising does not take away these nutrients your body has taken in. It's already been ingested.

These "opinions" by trainers and critics and anyone who calls themselves experts will ALWAYS differ. Knowing that, I asked my trusted physician (M.D.) and he agrees that I do not have to eat back my exercise calories. That if I am feeding my body good clean food, and NOT starving myself (by not eating), my body will NOT go into starvation mode.

My trainer also has a degree in nutrition and she said the same thing. She also told me to increase to between 1300 and 1400 per day...but that has nothing to do with how much I burn. Personally I see the biggest differences when I eat clean calories vs. crap calories. I do not agree with eating back every exercise calorie though....I eat some if I feel hungry...your body will let you know.
    A higher, fixed figure is a different approach entirely. You should eat your exercise calories back if you're eating a very low amount of calories anyway to ensure your body has enough energy to metabolise fat, repair muscles, etc etc. Whereas, a higher fixed number accounts for both your rest and exercise days and looks at your intake over a longer period of time than 1 day,
  • blittle2
    blittle2 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    great information, thanks.
  • determined136
    Options
    Great info. Thanks for passing it along. I know that I can use all the help I can get :laugh:
  • PlunderBunneh
    PlunderBunneh Posts: 1,705 Member
    Options
    Well written. Thanks for sharing!
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    great info.... i too only eat if i'm hungry....healthy choices.. not just because i've got calories left for the day to consume....
  • pamelapeldo
    pamelapeldo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    bump
  • iremmy
    iremmy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    The only thing I would say about her response is that she makes no mention for your carbs/fat/protein percentages. I know some people say a calorie is a calorie and maybe that works for some people. But I just started eating more as I was on a low calories since December and didn't lose a pound! I was working out, doing a personal training class and running even. I was so tired all the time that I would actually go home from work and take a nap before I could go work out. After upping my calories I have paid close attention to my carbs/fat/protein and after a week of hitting them where they should be I finally dropped pounds. So it makes a difference for me. If I ate back my exercise calories with processed foods I think it would make a huge difference.
  • mulloa1
    mulloa1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting!
  • Charisse1011
    Charisse1011 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Whoever wrote this knows exactly what they are talking about. I totally agree with it. This is exactly what I preach.

I sent the post to my trainer and above is her response....

It's just so hard for me to eat my cals back...
  • vanessaleigh818
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! I thought so but grateful for the reminder and check about eating healthy calories when eating back exercise calories!
  • blukttn66
    blukttn66 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    LOVE THIS! Explains a lot for me and helps a BUNCH! Thank you! :)
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Bump and started doing this yesterday.
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Great post, thank you!
  • luvsherhubby
    luvsherhubby Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    makes since. I didnt get it untill I got a body media fit. I didnt realize that with my normal activity I was already burning 2100 or more calories a day without exercise! so with my 400 cals from exersise that put me at burning 2500 caloreis a day and I was only eat 1200 some days less! Thats a 1300 calorie defict! I upped my calories to 1500 and some days eat 16-1800 depending on my burn. and i have been loosing steadily and not starving!