Asked my Trainer re eating back calories

Options

Replies

• happypath101
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing. (I think I've definately been guitly of cutting back too many calories. It's scary, but I'm working on upping them healthily.)
  • sweetfacephoto
    sweetfacephoto Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    So glad this was shared. I have not been very effective in explaining this concept to my friends, but this breaks it down perfectly. Copying and pasting to my email so I can save and share. :)
  • KellyAlyssa84
    Options
    Thank you for the concise answer. Seriously, this answered the age old question for me.
  • kalyy
    kalyy Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    You've got an excellent trainer. Glad you shared it here.
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • Pippalea74
    Pippalea74 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • myogibbs
    myogibbs Posts: 182
    Options
    Thanks for posting...very helpful information...but now I am confused...mfp sets a deficit already???How did I not know this?
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    This was a fantastic read - thanks for sharing!!!
  • irenep22
    irenep22 Posts: 59
    Options
    Bump
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    interesting read...thank you!
  • Masq
    Masq Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Very well put, and I love that she mentions to not eat back a bunch of junk. The key is to eat back your calories in 'good for you' food. :-)
  • JTHRONES
    JTHRONES Posts: 75
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

I did say the trainer was correct in what she said (the usual 1200 statement that gets thrown around) but I thought it was a personal letter to her trainer and her answer should have been more involved than that. She might also have been told she shouldn't be eating below her BMR for example.

Aren't we ALL eating below our BMR on here? At least those of us on here for weight loss (as opposed to maintenance or gaining)? Seems like 1200 is likely below most average adults' BMR.

No? I'm not. I eat around 2100 a day, and burn around 500-600 a day. My BMR (as best as I can calculate without expensive machinery and MD's,) is around 1400. I'm netting more like 1600. And I might even take that up a notch when I get my thyroid figured out at the endo tomorrow.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    The answer she gives is right for the question asked HOWEVER you didn't tell her that MFP already sets you a deficit. I'm sure her answer would have been totally diferent then.

Ask again and this time give her the full story

How so? She's saying to eat most of them back. She acknowledges that 1200 is a deficit and probably too much for some people., then states that if you burn 600 and don't eat them back, you're asking your body to try and exist on 600 calories a day if your calories are set at 1200.

Translation, she DOES get that you're at a deficit and she DOES advocate eating most of the exercise calories back.

I did say the trainer was correct in what she said (the usual 1200 statement that gets thrown around) but I thought it was a personal letter to her trainer and her answer should have been more involved than that. She might also have been told she shouldn't be eating below her BMR for example.

Aren't we ALL eating below our BMR on here? At least those of us on here for weight loss (as opposed to maintenance or gaining)? Seems like 1200 is likely below most average adults' BMR.

No? I'm not. I eat around 2100 a day, and burn around 500-600 a day. My BMR (as best as I can calculate without expensive machinery and MD's,) is around 1400. I'm netting more like 1600. And I might even take that up a notch when I get my thyroid figured out at the endo tomorrow.

Me neither. My intake is around 2700 a day (2500 in diary to leave wiggle room for condiments etc) and my BMR is a little over 2400.
  • thilyer
    thilyer Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    bump
  • dejatyja
    dejatyja Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Very much needed
  • GloynByw
    GloynByw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    My BMR is 1200 (yes, I am short!). I eat six small meals a day and am never hungry. My net calorie intake is about 1100, and the weight is coming off nice and steadily.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post. I'm doing all this to lose weight so the concept of "eating back your exercise calories" seemed completely backwards to me but yeah I guess that does make sense. Yikes I've been eating as close to 1200cals as I can for the past few months PLUS exercising. Despite trying to so hard not to I've been putting myself in starvation mode without realizing it! :(
  • LaurenC619
    LaurenC619 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!