5-7 people for running support, motivation, encouragement

Options

Replies

• Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

I just had to come in and share.

We have a local sports station, 104.3 The Fan. One of their DJs is running the Colfax Marathon in Denver next weekend, and at the beginning of this week he shared that he wanted to pull together some listeners to be part of the official Fan Marathon Relay Team. Long story short I responded on facebook and today they picked me!!!

I get to go to the radio station next week and figure out the logistics (who is running which leg) and meet all of the radio station employees who are also participating. I am super excited to meet all these local sports personalities who I listen to every day!

So, I'll be running a leg that is somewhere from 3-7 miles long...I'll find out on Tuesday which one. The race is next weekend...EEK!!! I guess I better get in a few more training runs!

Talk about motivation!

That's awesome! Have fun!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    I AM SO EXCITED!!!!

I just had to come in and share.

We have a local sports station, 104.3 The Fan. One of their DJs is running the Colfax Marathon in Denver next weekend, and at the beginning of this week he shared that he wanted to pull together some listeners to be part of the official Fan Marathon Relay Team. Long story short I responded on facebook and today they picked me!!!

Sounds like fun!! Congrats! :smile:

Well, I just finished my long run for the week - I decided there was no reason to go "light" - so I ran 7 miles! My longest run yet! I didn't run all of it - had various short intervals of walking - maybe 10-12 minutes worth (?). I did the 7 miles in just under an hour and 17 minutes, which comes out to about an 11 min/mile average pace. Not bad! I'm happy with it. :happy: I did stretch afterwards (I'm not always good at remembering).

Hope you all have a great weekend!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options

Well, I just finished my long run for the week - I decided there was no reason to go "light" - so I ran 7 miles! My longest run yet! I didn't run all of it - had various short intervals of walking - maybe 10-12 minutes worth (?). I did the 7 miles in just under an hour and 17 minutes, which comes out to about an 11 min/mile average pace. Not bad! I'm happy with it. :happy: I did stretch afterwards (I'm not always good at remembering).

Great run!!! And stretch, stretch, stretch!! I tore a calf muscle last year and that's not nearly as fun as it sounds - I don't recommend it!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    mymadori - That's awesome newss - You'll have to let us know how it goes.

Trenton - Thanks - I think I'm doing an ok pace, but unless I have something to compare to, I have no idea. The fact that there's a bit of a walk in there throws off the numbers. Like todays'.

I amazed myself today - I got in P90x Plyometrics and it was sunny here today. I haven't been out for a few days, so I wanted to go for C25k W5.

Part of me wanted to repeat W5D2. Part of me said go for it \W5D3 - 20 min non stop.
    Then part of me said you can't jog 20 mins - no way.:noway::laugh:

I completed C25k W5D3 - 20 min non stop jog. - 4 kms in 28 mins - 7 min /km pace including walk.
    20 min non stop I covered 3 kms - 6.33 min/km pace when jogging?

Everyone have a great day!
  • mymadori
    mymadori Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hey there everyone!

Thanks for all the congrats. I'll be going to the station tonight to work out the details.

Trenton- 7 miles is awesome! Sounds like you'll be a lot more ready for the BolderBouler than I will be!
    Thumper- the only way to get better is to challenge yourself and it sure sounds like you're doing a great job of that! Congrats!

I managed to get my husband to jump on his bike yesterday, with the two year old in the bike trailer and go with me while I ran. I only did about 4.5 miles and it was crazy hard- I think it's the allergies because it was windy and I felt like I was getting asthma issues, which I haven't had in quite some time.

It seems like some days, 5 miles is easy, ,some days, 3 is hard. I only hope I'm on a good day come race time this weekend.

Melissa
  • thumper44
    Options
    Well it's been a little quiet in this thread. Hope everyone's busy jogging :laugh:

The weather was nice outside, and I didn't feel like doing 1.5 hours of yoga x inside.

Finished W6D1 and W6D2. Nice 800 calorie burn.
  • mymadori
    Options
    Well it's been a little quiet in this thread. Hope everyone's busy jogging :laugh:

The weather was nice outside, and I didn't feel like doing 1.5 hours of yoga x inside.

Finished W6D1 and W6D2. Nice 800 calorie burn.

Great job Thumper!!!

Well, I had a blast at the radio station and was assigned the best leg of the race... I get the 4 mile "screaming downhill"! Woot. That is right in my wheelhouse. LOL.

I had been trying to follow the official Myfitnesspal eating plan...staying below my daily calorie allotment and honestly, I was miserable. Trying to stay under 1400 calories a day when I've got all these kids who aren't interested in the healthy stuff I'm making is just impossible, not to mention, I've got my husband's 20th reunion in like 6 weeks...

So, what's a girl to do about it? I'll tell you what I'm doing about it. I'm back on the low carb bandwagon. It is so much easier for me to stay within my carb allotment within feeling sluggish and starving. Hopefully, I can keep it together well enough to drop 10 pounds in the next 6 weeks. I'm sure it'll be quite a challenge though.

Where's everyone else at?
  • mymadori
    Options
    Awww man, everyone's gone. :-(

Oh well. I'll just talk to myself again. Ha!

I had a blast at the Marathon relay with the radio station. I finished my leg, which was about 4 miles, in 35 minutes.

I need to figure out how to post a pic.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Awww man, everyone's gone. :-(

Oh well. I'll just talk to myself again. Ha!

I had a blast at the Marathon relay with the radio station. I finished my leg, which was about 4 miles, in 35 minutes.

I need to figure out how to post a pic.

Congrats on the relay!

<
    I got new running shoes this weekend (See my profile pic). I'm excited to break them in - they're Vibram shoes, so they're minimalist shoes that encourage landing on the ball of your foot instead of your heel. I've been out once in them already (2 miles walk/jog) and they felt great. I'm going to do a 3-4 mile jog this evening after work.

PS - to post a pic, you have to upload it to a site like photobucket (which is what I recommend) and then post the link here - it's the link with [IMG][/IMG] tags, only when you paste it here you make those lowercase "img" instead of uppercase, or it won't work.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Everyone's been pretty quiet! I went for my longest run yet today - just over 8.25 miles, in 1:25:22. Not bad!! I'm thrilled with my pace, since I know typically your pace will slow down the longer you go (until you build up your speed on the longer distances). Totally ready for the Boulder-Boulder 10k next weekend!
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! :) The ghost returns... :laugh: I'll have to go back and catch up. Sorry I have been MIA. I just wasn't feeling it. Realized that it does no good to put pressure on myself so backed off without guilt.

Started P90X. What an interesting workout that is! Then, a couple of days, my body started craving a run! I was in shock! Even though I had already done the day' workout (shoulders and arms) I went with it and had a nice, leisurely 30 minute run, and added in another 45 minutes of walking. Felt great!

Today is Legs/ Back with P90X. I'm going to follow the "do what the body wants" approach for a while and see how that goes. I'll come back here later and read your posts to catch up.

So glad you're all doing what works for you!!:flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Hey guys! :) The ghost returns... :laugh: I'll have to go back and catch up. Sorry I have been MIA. I just wasn't feeling it. Realized that it does no good to put pressure on myself so backed off without guilt.

Started P90X. What an interesting workout that is! Then, a couple of days, my body started craving a run! I was in shock! Even though I had already done the day' workout (shoulders and arms) I went with it and had a nice, leisurely 30 minute run, and added in another 45 minutes of walking. Felt great!

Today is Legs/ Back with P90X. I'm going to follow the "do what the body wants" approach for a while and see how that goes. I'll come back here later and read your posts to catch up.

So glad you're all doing what works for you!!:flowerforyou:

Good for you for changing things up and doing what you've gotta do! :flowerforyou: I've heard P90X is quite the workout.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    A picture of the long hill in my neighborhood. It's kind of hard to tell, but basically it's a .4 to .5 mile long hill that's a steady incline. Not too steep, but enough to give you a good workout! When I first tried running up it, I couldn't make it all the way up... I just realized the other day that I can now make it all the way up without stopping and without feeling incredibly winded. Woohoo!

2011-05-21102602.jpg
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Yay for tackling the hill!

I have a love-hate relationship with the hills in my neighborhood. I hate doing them, but love conquering them. And they're pretty much unavoidable, unless I drive somewhere to run, which seems kind of pointless.

So I knew the first half of today's run was hilly and steep, but I didn't realize just HOW steep until I looked at the elevation chart on RunKeeper.

elevation.gif

3.46 Miles | Duration 0:33:08 | Calories Burned 370
    Average Pace 9:36 / mi | Average Speed 6.25 mph | Elevation Climb 179 ft

I did pause briefly to walk, mop my face, and have a fruity snack right before the one mile mark. Then it appears I ran STRAIGHT UP! :laugh:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Yay for tackling the hill!

I have a love-hate relationship with the hills in my neighborhood. I hate doing them, but love conquering them. And they're pretty much unavoidable, unless I drive somewhere to run, which seems kind of pointless.

So I knew the first half of today's run was hilly and steep, but I didn't realize just HOW steep until I looked at the elevation chart on RunKeeper.

I did pause briefly to walk, mop my face, and have a fruity snack right before the one mile mark. Then it appears I ran STRAIGHT UP! :laugh:

I know how you feel - my neighborhood is very hilly - here's my elevation chart for a recent long run -
    altitude.jpg
    High was a little over 5900 feet, low was about 5700 feet... but if you add up my ups and downs over that run it's more than 800 feet (about half ascending and half descending). Quite a workout!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    So I'm back in my running routine after a week off - darn virus/cold got me pretty good. Ran an easy 1.9 miles Monday, and then 3.15 miles last night. I'm not feeling ready to do a HIIT workout yet, so I think I'm going to run 4 miles tonight and maybe hit the gym for some weight lifting.

Unforunately I had to skip the Boulder Boulder 10k race due to my coughing/chest congestion - I think I'll try finding another race I can run this summer!
  • mymadori
    Options
    That's too bad Trenton it was a blast! I finished it in 1:02, 6 minutes faster than last year. I really struggled through miles 3 and 4, but that was my own fault because I didn't train very much at all. So, 1:02 works out to exactly 10 minutes per mile. Those hills seemed much meaner than last time.

Wasn't there someone else on this thread running it?
  • thumper44
    Options
    Hey all.

mymadori - Good job.

trenton - Glad to see your back and hope your feeling better and got rid of that virus/bug.

I've been busy doing P90x, but I like to get in a jog to keep up with the C25k. Well today I didn't follow any week and day for c25k, but this is the 2nd day I just jogged/walked an did some actually running. HIIT I guess you would call it. Felt great to run full speed. I haven't done that for quite a long time (last time playing baseball I guess).

Did my personal best today of 8kms in 55 mins.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Howdy! :) How's the running going? I enjoyed a 45 minute session outdoors right before it started pouring. Not sure exactly the distance, but there were some hills. Felt goooooooood to be back out there. I hope I remember that! :)
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Hey all.

mymadori - Good job.

trenton - Glad to see your back and hope your feeling better and got rid of that virus/bug.

I've been busy doing P90x, but I like to get in a jog to keep up with the C25k. Well today I didn't follow any week and day for c25k, but this is the 2nd day I just jogged/walked an did some actually running. HIIT I guess you would call it. Felt great to run full speed. I haven't done that for quite a long time (last time playing baseball I guess).

Did my personal best today of 8kms in 55 mins.

Awesome for reaching a personal best! High five. :)