5-7 people for running support, motivation, encouragement

Options

Replies

• Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    It may be too soon to speak, but I went out for another run today. The entire loop was over 5 miles, but I walked portions of it, so logged it as a walk/run. It was a beautiful sunny day in Hawaii with snow on the mountain (in June!) That was the motivation to get me out the door - and I realized how much I've been missing running outdoors. :)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    That's too bad Trenton it was a blast! I finished it in 1:02, 6 minutes faster than last year. I really struggled through miles 3 and 4, but that was my own fault because I didn't train very much at all. So, 1:02 works out to exactly 10 minutes per mile. Those hills seemed much meaner than last time.

Congrats! That's a great time. :drinker:
    That was the motivation to get me out the door - and I realized how much I've been missing running outdoors. :)
    Yeah, I feel the same way anytime I go a little while (or a long while) without running outside.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I had a great run last night. I just really felt connected with myself and my running - There was a little while where I felt like I could just run like that forever. :smile: Of course it didn't hurt that it was a gorgeous evening with a nice breeze. I'm going to get out and run again tonight.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I had a great run last night. I just really felt connected with myself and my running - There was a little while where I felt like I could just run like that forever. :smile: Of course it didn't hurt that it was a gorgeous evening with a nice breeze. I'm going to get out and run again tonight.

*Like* !!!!
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Anyone interested in keeping this thread alive? I want to get back into my serious running schedule - the last few weeks have been bad (I was sick, then we had weekend home improvement projects happening, then last weekend was just blah) but I've decided to sign up for the Oct 9th Rock N' Roll half-marathon in Denver, which gives me 17 weeks to train. My longest run so far has been about 8.25 miles. I KNOW 17 weeks is enough for me to train for this, but I need to stick to it and not have so many weeks where I barely get any running in.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    Anyone interested in keeping this thread alive? I want to get back into my serious running schedule - the last few weeks have been bad (I was sick, then we had weekend home improvement projects happening, then last weekend was just blah) but I've decided to sign up for the Oct 9th Rock N' Roll half-marathon in Denver, which gives me 17 weeks to train. My longest run so far has been about 8.25 miles. I KNOW 17 weeks is enough for me to train for this, but I need to stick to it and not have so many weeks where I barely get any running in.

I am, which is funny because I sort of jumped ship early on. :laugh: I'll stay here if you will. I saw that you signed up for your half - what an inspiration! Can't wait to read your blog post.

I did a variety of stuff this morning, including a 30 minute outdoor jog. I was disappointed in my pace. I used mapmyrun app on my phone and saw it was slower than 12 mph. 12.25 to be exact. That being said, I had done 15 mins on my treadmill, which is stuck on an incline, and 15 mins of an elliptical and a 10 minute walk all before the jog, so I was a little tired. Telling myself not to judge, just to enjoy and stick with it. This is a good attitude and I think will keep me going.

Keep it up - I'm really proud of you and all you've done since I "met" you on MFP.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options

I am, which is funny because I sort of jumped ship early on. :laugh: I'll stay here if you will. I saw that you signed up for your half - what an inspiration! Can't wait to read your blog post.

I did a variety of stuff this morning, including a 30 minute outdoor jog. I was disappointed in my pace. I used mapmyrun app on my phone and saw it was slower than 12 mph. 12.25 to be exact. That being said, I had done 15 mins on my treadmill, which is stuck on an incline, and 15 mins of an elliptical and a 10 minute walk all before the jog, so I was a little tired. Telling myself not to judge, just to enjoy and stick with it. This is a good attitude and I think will keep me going.

Keep it up - I'm really proud of you and all you've done since I "met" you on MFP.

How big of an incline is your treadmill stuck on??? I'm picturing someone running on a ridiculously inclined treadmill and it's kind of amusing.

I agree with your "no judgment, enjoy and stick with it" attitude. :flowerforyou:

Went for a run last night - my lower back was a little cranky but I pushed through, stretched afterwards and I feel fine today. I went about 4 miles in just over 40 minutes. Wanted to do more, but storms were moving in and the lightning/thunder was getting closer. Going to go for another run tonight, then probably to the gym to do some weights. I haven't been good about lifting weights regularly and I'd really like to keep that as part of my regular fitness routine.

Some pics I took last night on my run:
    2011-06-13200940_Aurora_Colorado_US.jpg
    2011-06-13200932_Aurora_Colorado_US.jpg
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Ran again last night - I've done 9.3 miles in the last three days. Sadly, this isn't much less than what I ran in the TWO WEEKS prior to this week (10.5 miles). Yay for getting back on track - it feels good! I'm not running tonight - doing some other cardio and some strength training, but I'll do interval running on Thursday and then my long-distance run on Saturday to finish off this week. :smile: Haven't done a long run in awhile, so hopefully Saturday goes well - planning on doing 8.5 miles. I might go to a local reservoir that's about 8 miles around. I've never run there before, but it might be a nice change.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I love when you post pics from your run... gives me a little colorado getaway. :) Great job with the 4 miles in a little over 40 minutes. I would be happy with that pace I think..... considering I really need to work my way back up. That will be an accomplishment to be moving a bit faster again.

How far do you intend to go on your next run?

I went out again yesterday. Started using mapmyrun on my iphone which is a very nifty app... it uses GPS to track all the little loops in neighborhoods, so I don' thave to try to remember my route. That gave me a lot of freedom and I ended up doing a different route than ever before. This helped alleviate boredom. It also tracks my speed / pace, so I can know more accurately what I'm doing and can have a baseline to work from. (I consider it a baseline b/c I took a break from running and backslid a lot)

And, the treadmill is stuck on 3 or 4 (not quite sure). Which, isn't as visually hilarious as say, 8, but still challenging when it's up that high the whole time. I was using a great app that had me switching speeds and inclines and LOVING it - but the treadmill froze as I was trying to lower out of it. Boooo!!! Especially because I was LOVING that workout and felt like it was making me a bad-*kitten*! If I ever get it fixed, I don't think I'll be using the incline function again, b/c I don't want it to break again. (It's a second hand treadmill and i think it has "issues". )

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I love when you post pics from your run... gives me a little colorado getaway. :) Great job with the 4 miles in a little over 40 minutes. I would be happy with that pace I think..... considering I really need to work my way back up. That will be an accomplishment to be moving a bit faster again.

How far do you intend to go on your next run?

I went out again yesterday. Started using mapmyrun on my iphone which is a very nifty app... it uses GPS to track all the little loops in neighborhoods, so I don' thave to try to remember my route. That gave me a lot of freedom and I ended up doing a different route than ever before. This helped alleviate boredom. It also tracks my speed / pace, so I can know more accurately what I'm doing and can have a baseline to work from. (I consider it a baseline b/c I took a break from running and backslid a lot)

And, the treadmill is stuck on 3 or 4 (not quite sure). Which, isn't as visually hilarious as say, 8, but still challenging when it's up that high the whole time. I was using a great app that had me switching speeds and inclines and LOVING it - but the treadmill froze as I was trying to lower out of it. Boooo!!! Especially because I was LOVING that workout and felt like it was making me a bad-*kitten*! If I ever get it fixed, I don't think I'll be using the incline function again, b/c I don't want it to break again. (It's a second hand treadmill and i think it has "issues". )

Have a great day! :flowerforyou:

Ha - I think we posted at the same time. (See the post before the one you just posted.) I ran just under 3 miles last night - I was time-constrained (had to get home to make dinner) so I only had 30 minutes.

Glad I can provide you witha virtual Colorado visit. :laugh:

Yeah, an incline of 3-4 would be tiring!! I usually only run with it on .5 or 1 (maybe 1.5 if I'm feeling ambitious) on the treadmill. Too bad your treadmill froze up on you... sounds like it was a great tool before that!

Running phone apps that use GPS are GREAT! I use one, too - Cardio Trainer. I was using endomondo, but there were some things about it I didn't like, so I switched. It's nice to be able to go out and run wherever I want without worry about having to remember so I can calculate the distance.
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I guess we were posting at the dame time! Good luck on your 8 miler. Goodness knows I would need more than luck for that right now:laugh: . Looking forward to hearing how it goes.

No exercise for me yesterday, the day was packed full. It was raining today so no running, I dug out the zumba DVDs instead. Hopefully it will be dry tomorrow and I can get back out there. I wonder if i can use the gps tool and the trainer tool at once. Will have to check that out...
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Hope the weather's allowed you to get back outside!

My long run today went great! Here's a blog, complete with pictures. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/accountant_boi/view/half-marathon-training-week-1-115459
    :bigsmile:
  • Happyoceangirl
    Options
    I guess I wasn't fully in the mood for a run today. I used a run coach and the gps app... The run coach was a little aggressive, in my opinion. I stuck with it for as long as my heart was in it but walked more than I had expected to, because the running kicked my booty. The good news is, it was HIIT, so my heart rate was jamming. Add in hls and there's no doubt it wAs a good workout. 6.75 miles total. Not too shabby.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    I guess I wasn't fully in the mood for a run today. I used a run coach and the gps app... The run coach was a little aggressive, in my opinion. I stuck with it for as long as my heart was in it but walked more than I had expected to, because the running kicked my booty. The good news is, it was HIIT, so my heart rate was jamming. Add in hls and there's no doubt it wAs a good workout. 6.75 miles total. Not too shabby.

Not too shabby at all! I think it's normal to have some run where you just don't feel into it... you can either push through or do something else. I usually try to push through, since I've got races I'm signed up for and consequences if I'm not conditioned enough... lol. But I find when I'm not working towards a race I tend to talk myself out of runs a little more often.

How long do you normally do your HIIT sessions for? Maybe i"m just a wimp, but I only go for about 7 cycles of run/jog during mine, which is 21 minutes total (each cycle is 2 min jogging, 1 min running as fast as I can). I can't imagine doing it for too much longer than I do.
  • pinkladykat
    Options
    hello runners im new but have been running for a few yr
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    hello runners im new but have been running for a few yr

Hi! :smile:
    How often do you run?
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    So, I think I'm going to have to lay off the running this week. Long story's here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/accountant_boi/view/running-too-much-too-fast-115855
    But short story - I think there's a possibility that I might have a stress reaction/fracture (hopefully the former, rather than the latter). I experienced some pain on my run yesterday that got pretty bad by the end.

Hoping a week of no running and a slower ease back into longer distances (with slower speeds) will remedy the situation, but if it gets worse or doesn't go away, I'll probably have to go see a doctor. *sigh* :frown:
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Hows the running going? I'm getting back into the groove... ran on the treadmill on Sunday while I was on vacation in Florida - it was great looking out over the ocean while working out. :happy: I did short-ish runs yesterday and today. My feet feel fine now, so I'm working to build back up to regular runs and more mileage.

I just finished reading "Born to Run" by Christopher Mcdougall and found it incredibly entertaining and enlightening. I highly recommend it. I'm trying to start working on actual barefoot running - I started reading "Complete Idiot's Guide to Barefoot Running" and it explains why it's actually better to run barefoot first, and then transition to shoes like Vibrams. It's a slow transition, but I hope to eventually run barefoot all the time around my neighborhood and routes that I know it is safe to do so. I'd wear my Vibrams when running on the treadmill at the gym and running races & routes that aren't safe for bare feet.
  • Mindful_Trent
    Options
    Any chance of reviving this thread? I've got two confirmed races coming up: a 10k on August 7th and a half marathon on October 9th. I might add a 10 mile race in September...

Even if other folks aren't preparing for races, would love to have a group for running support/motivation/encouragement. :smile:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I have my first 10k this Saturday. :smile:

And as luck would have it, we'll be in the midst of a heatwave then. Joy. :grumble: