Bump.
  • sbchasin
    sbchasin Posts: 14
    Options
    bump for reference
  • gailosborne
    gailosborne Posts: 435
    Options
    I've loved reading this thread, thanks very much indeed!
  • EmilyJ1979
    EmilyJ1979 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    interesting stuff, thanks!!
  • sam23030
    sam23030 Posts: 76
    Options
    Very, interesting, might have to check out that book, thanks!
  • suelynn62
    suelynn62 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    bump
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    I've loved reading this thread, thanks very much indeed!

same here. i wish i could clone your ryan. :)
  • girlruns
    girlruns Posts: 344
    Options
    Bump for reference. Thanks!
  • dorairwin
    dorairwin Posts: 210
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :smile:
  • road2peachtree
    road2peachtree Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    thanks! cool information
  • misrical
    misrical Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bump
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    1) POST WORKOUT NUTRITION
    after any workout, whether cardio or strength training, it is important to refuel our body with the right nutrients. this way, we can recover more effectively, replace our muscles with glycogen, build muscle mass and burn more body fat, and see results faster.
    ...suggested that i eat 75% back right during post-recovery nutrition so that it can be used directly for muscle building. the TIMING of eating back exercise calories is also important. he said many people might think they can eat a huge bowl of cereal much later in the day, given they burned a lot of calories.. but if you eat them back during other parts of the day and it is a large number of calories, the excess calories will be converted into fat. so eating them back during the post-workout window is ideal.

The 'window' of opportunity is 24 hours after working out ;). Also, whey takes roughly (if I remember correctly) 55 minutes or so to fully digest and break down. Glycogen stores do not deplete after one moderate workout (believe me...it took me 2 days, 3 nights of no carbs, cardio and a highly intense depletion workout to get my levels down to 'depleted' levels).

If you're a marathon runner or something similar to that, it can't hurt because those activities will burn deeper so to speak, but the average person doing a moderate workout for a average time - doesn't need to worry about immediate glycogen depletion.

http://user210805.websitewizard.com/files/unprotected/AARR-Jan-2008.pdf
    ryan also said that a diet of 40% carb, 30% protein, and 30% fat would be good. finally, i asked about a good book i could read about nutrition, and he suggested "cracking the metabolic code" by james lavalle. i just downloaded it onto my kindle, and based on the initial scan, it mentions many things that ryan talked about tonight.

40/40/20, 40/30/30, etc. are all arbitrary numbers. It is far more effective to figure out:
    1) How much protein your body need
    2) How much fat your body needs
    3) Fill the rest in with carbs

It may come close to the above breakdowns, it may differ drastically. But food for thought.

Everything else was spot on. I do not recommend for a lot of people on this site, but "IIFYM - if it fits your macros" is something a lot (sometimes I) of people do. Ice cream, cereal, yogurt, animal crackers, etc are consumed, fitting our daily macro nutrient levels and we're fine. But the two quoted parts are the only parts I disagree with that have been proved false, or have a more efficient way of handling.

I encourage everyone here to not blindly accept what people tell them. Go out and research it yourself, find the latest studies and read this information with your own eyes. There is a lot of new research coming out that is not government funded, not agenda oriented and a lot of it is very opposite of what we've heard in the past.
  • bmontgomery87
    bmontgomery87 Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    ^^ great post.
    the window of opportunity myth is always spread. I hate hearing it. I know I don't need to rush home and eat immediately.

Big fan of IIFYM to an extent. I still dont eat fast food or anything like that, and mainly stick to "clean" foods. But when I can squeeze in peanut butter and jelly, or a bowl of ice cream, I do it.
  • deathtaco
    deathtaco Posts: 237
    Options
    Ben and Jerry's is my Anabolic Super Food.
  • JoAnnLeahMurphy
    Options
    You rock - thanks for sharing!
  • pandafoo
    pandafoo Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    @deathtaco and @bmontgomery, thanks for sharing your POVs! i would hope that no one would believe blindly any information they read or hear, including mine or ryan's! :) this is just some information for you to consider as you develop your own informed decisions and strategies for better health. since the time ryan talked about post-workout nutrition, i've even modified the strategy, so that i take the whey protein/gatorade only on very intense workout days. or i might sub with milk and some fruit. and no, i don't rush home to consume it within 30 min either! :)

it's nice to have had these 3 sessions with ryan (and i have 1 more left) so i can consolidate all the info i've learned in one thread here. being engaged in our health involves a lifelong journey of learning, and there's always new research and programs that come out - it's good to keep up-to-date and figure out what works for you.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    interesting read for later..thanks
  • Rodneymc4
    Rodneymc4 Posts: 62
    Options
    Good article and thank you for sharing this information with us.

I strongly agree with the need to get recovery supplements in your body as soon as possible. I usually keep some kind of protein bar or the liquid whey protein (which is the most convenient supplement I found so far), in my gym bags. On days that I'm forced to do cardio and weight training together, I eat during my workouts. I learned that by replenishing my nutritional needs immediately, I rarely, if ever get sore after workouts. I can literally go to the gym everyday without be hampered by soreness from the previous workout. I believe it's because I'm adamant about eating during and immediately after workouts. I have cases of protein bars in the areas I frequent because they offer convenience and ease for me to add recovery supplements IMMEDIATELY. I think, I've wasted a workout if I don't feed my muscles in the peek growing periods...so this article just reinforces my desire to refuel immediately.

However, I'm not interested in losing a half a pound a week. Maybe when I get to 180lbs, but today I'm still working on that VERY, VERY, VERY STUBBORN belly fat. I picked up a pair of 36 inch Ed Hardy jeans with room to spare today...I could've got the 34's, but I couldn't believe the 36's were a little big.
  • brendalyne
    brendalyne Posts: 497
    Options
    bump to read later....
  • k1r5ty23
    k1r5ty23 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Bump