The 17 Day Diet

Options

Replies

• juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Day 8 on the second cycle.

I'm finding I have to eat MORE to get my calories for the day, because before I started the 17DD, I was already working out for 30-60 minutes a day, and I sure wasn't going to cut back to 17 minutes a day. I dropped a good six pounds during the first week of the first cycle, and then I just kind of hung there. I kept pinging between 173 and 174, after first hitting 172.8. I posted in on MFP last week about it, and the general consensus was that I wasn't getting enough calories, was drinking too much wine (yes, I cheated on that part), and my sodium was WAY too high.

I had a drop to 172.0 on Sunday, then ate Easter dinner (ham=sodium).

I am struggling with this diet/eating plan/way of life, because unless I load up on proteins (and extra carbs on carb-day) I don't hit my calorie goal/net calories.
  • mfreeby
    mfreeby Posts: 199 Member
    Options

I'm finding I have to eat MORE to get my calories for the day, because before I started the 17DD, I was already working out for 30-60 minutes a day, and I sure wasn't going to cut back to 17 minutes a day. I dropped a good six pounds during the first week of the first cycle, and then I just kind of hung there. I kept pinging between 173 and 174, after first hitting 172.8. I posted in on MFP last week about it, and the general consensus was that I wasn't getting enough calories, was drinking too much wine (yes, I cheated on that part), and my sodium was WAY too high.

I am struggling with this diet/eating plan/way of life, because unless I load up on proteins (and extra carbs on carb-day) I don't hit my calorie goal/net calories.

I don't think you need to worry too much about hitting a calorie goal. If you are eating enough and and aren't hungry, then I doubt your body will go into starvation mode. I can't imagine "starving" if you aren't even hungry. In my experience, wine and alcohol will sabotage things every single time. So, have you not really lost at all since the first week of C1?
  • forgiven4life
    Options

I would say this "diet" is not for everyone. If you are finding this way of eating hard, it might be best just to count calories. I agree with another poster that the alcohol is holding you back as well as the extremely high sodium. Both of those things will cause you to retain water like crazy. I would work on lowering those two things and see how the scale is affected.
  • spr_chkn
    spr_chkn Posts: 48
    Options
    bump
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Okay, I bought the book, read it, and plan to start sometime soon (need to grocery shop and clear certain foods out of kitchen) but I have one more question:

Does everyone actually drink the warm water with lemon in the mornings? :sick:

I can't stand warm water, it makes me gag just gurgling it when I have a sore throat, and while I drink plenty of water, I never put lemon in it because I hate the taste. Is this something that many people don't necessarily bother with, like the green tea, or is it more critical than that?

Thanks! I'll be joining y'all soon! :flowerforyou:
  • mfreeby
    Options
    AHHH!!!! I'm at a crucial point with my weight and I've stopped losing!!!! At the exact point where I have stopped losing over the past couple years. I need to break through before I get frustrated and eat a pizza. Any tips?
  • gimmebackmybod
    Options
    Okay girls, I'm on day 3 of cycle 1 and literally can not MOVE. I am sooo drained i barely had the energy to make myself something to eat, let alone chase my kids so I am thinking about going ahead and starting cycle 2. I have lost almost 5 lbs in the last 2 days so i KNOW it's working but wow. I am still nursing my 9 month old (just a twice a day) so maybe I really should just bypass the rest of the 1st cycle. I know some of u have said you've skipped cycle 1, how'd that work out? Did you still lose pretty quickly?
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    Okay girls, I'm on day 3 of cycle 1 and literally can not MOVE. I am sooo drained i barely had the energy to make myself something to eat, let alone chase my kids so I am thinking about going ahead and starting cycle 2. I have lost almost 5 lbs in the last 2 days so i KNOW it's working but wow. I am still nursing my 9 month old (just a twice a day) so maybe I really should just bypass the rest of the 1st cycle. I know some of u have said you've skipped cycle 1, how'd that work out? Did you still lose pretty quickly?

I don't think this diet was recommended for nursing moms. It could compromise your milk supply. But if you want to stick with it, I would definately recommend moving to cycle 2 or even cycle 3 because of the increased calories. Your body needs extra calories while nursing.
  • forgiven4life
    Options
    Okay, I bought the book, read it, and plan to start sometime soon (need to grocery shop and clear certain foods out of kitchen) but I have one more question:

I can't stand warm water, it makes me gag just gurgling it when I have a sore throat, and while I drink plenty of water, I never put lemon in it because I hate the taste. Is this something that many people don't necessarily bother with, like the green tea, or is it more critical than that?

I do drink the warm water with lemon in the morning, but I do add a packet of Truvia which helps. But I love anything lemon so I don't mind it really. I actually really like it. I believe the purpose of the warm lemon water first thing is because it is supposed to get your digestive juices flowing and wake up your metabolism.
    AHHH!!!! I'm at a crucial point with my weight and I've stopped losing!!!! At the exact point where I have stopped losing over the past couple years. I need to break through before I get frustrated and eat a pizza. Any tips?

Where are you on the diet? Which phase and day? I would suggest just keep going. You might not lose something everyday and on some days you may gain a little. It's the overall progress of the 17 days. Your metabolism will get a jolt in the next phase. Try to hang on!
  • mfreeby
    Options

I do drink the warm water with lemon in the morning, but I do add a packet of Truvia which helps. But I love anything lemon so I don't mind it really. I actually really like it. I believe the purpose of the warm lemon water first thing is because it is supposed to get your digestive juices flowing and wake up your metabolism.

Where are you on the diet? Which phase and day? I would suggest just keep going. You might not lose something everyday and on some days you may gain a little. It's the overall progress of the 17 days. Your metabolism will get a jolt in the next phase. Try to hang on!

I am at C1D13
  • gimmebackmybod
    Options

I don't think this diet was recommended for nursing moms. It could compromise your milk supply. But if you want to stick with it, I would definately recommend moving to cycle 2 or even cycle 3 because of the increased calories. Your body needs extra calories while nursing.

You are right, it is not recommended for nursing moms. I guess i chose to ignore the rule even though i know it's there for a reason. He's only nursing at nap time and bed time so compared to 6+ times/day i figured it'd be okay, esp if i made sure to meet my calories for the day. (which is nearly impossible on this diet) I am definitely doing cycle 2 and if that still doesn't seem like enough maybe i'll go to 3. I'm eating a bowl of quinoa right now and already feel better just knowing i'm getting some carbs in there ;)
  • bluespring
    bluespring Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I HIT DAY 17 TODAY! Cycle 2 and I lost a total of 9 pounds! Wow! I am 1.8 pounds from my goal so I am gonna go to Cycle 3 tomorrow with tons of exercise. The weight is not the best part the inches are! My pregnancy pooch is almost some and I see a waist. I am happy that I found this diet. I have much more energy. Man the people doing Cycle 1 have to be losing much more than this. There is no FAD to this it can be a way of life and yes I had major cheat moments.

Hang in there people this really works! I learned to love the Green Tea in MINT - go figure. That paired with grapefruit were major metabolism boosts before 2 pm! Wendy's Pecan Chicken Apple Salad was my fast food treat. I ate salads with every meal except breakfast. Natures Own Double Fiber Bread is the best. I ate breakfast within 15 minutes of waking up. Exercise wise I did 17 minutes of something even if it was just dancing or playing with my kiddo.

Awesome! I am so happy for you!
    Keep posting your results!
    :bigsmile:
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I think the lemon is supposed to help with digestion. I don't like it hot either so I only warm it slightly and add a packet of truvia. I think you could drink it cool like lemonade but I'm not sure.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Thanks, guys! I'll give it a shot. :ohwell: Just a spoonful of sugar, right? I might just try to chug it... :drinker:
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Hubby wanted to try try it so I thought I would "play along" for support. Most of the foods are the "base" of what I eat regularly anyway, so it wasn't that big of a stretch to eliminate a few things for the short term. Got through about 9 days really well...then came Easter Weekend: -) I didn't have a lot to clean up in my diet, so I didn't get the big water weight loss drop, but did lose 2#. Hubby has lost about 5# so far. My energy level has rebounded and I feel pretty good. Going to do another stretch of the "first" 17 days until May 7th, then go onto the next 17.

As for the water w/lemon in the mornings, it supposedly helps to jump start your liver too.
  • kimif1
    kimif1 Posts: 9
    Options
    walamrt.com it's only 15 dollars.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    Options
    Trejon, great job!

I'm on C1D3. Doing great still. I have lost 2 lbs since Monday.

I will whine a little and say I'm missing the crunchy-ness of eating nuts and also I LOVE peanut butter (the good, healthy kind) with everything in me. It's starting to really hit me today. I wanted to just eat a tbsp of PB this morning so bad. But I didn't....

I can't wait to eat some though!
  • jsonnett02
    jsonnett02 Posts: 110
    Options
    Any of you guys have headaches? I have been having them since starting this Monday and now I have a migraine. Drinking tons of water.

WHen I did the South Beach I had horrible headaches. My blood sugar got so low, that's what happened.....if this program is low in sugar or natural sugar it may be due to that.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Any of you guys have headaches? I have been having them since starting this Monday and now I have a migraine. Drinking tons of water.

WHen I did the South Beach I had horrible headaches. My blood sugar got so low, that's what happened.....if this program is low in sugar or natural sugar it may be due to that.

It allows for 2 pieces of fruit per day as well as yogurt, plus unlimited veggies, so there is plenty of sugar available. Drink LOTS of water and that should help!! And they will subside in a day or so. You just need to give your body time to adjust. I cleaned up everything at the beginning of the year and had raging headaches....but I got sick about the same time too, so I'm not sure how much of it was cleaning up my diet and how much was actually being sick.
  • blackchickbb
    Options
    just started today,earlier noon was hardest.but im ok now.will do my best ,i have to.