Intermittent Fasting Support Group?

Options

Replies

• Nancy_hc
    Nancy_hc Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    my bad - guess it is confusing... let me re-word to say my workouts and meals will be at the beginning of my day rather than the end of my day. works out better for me that way :) For now at least. I like this bc it seems easy to change to whatever routine you have at that time.

I do a lot of running, its an easy thing to knock out for my work outs. But i think i'll sit down and try to find a good way to write in weights to my routine. i like to have things written out on paper so this task may need to be taken on tomorrow. Ok. some weights, maintain cardio, and IF... hopefully this will take my loss from 3-4lbs a month to 6-8 :) that would be super! I'll keep you all updated.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    my bad - guess it is confusing... let me re-word to say my workouts and meals will be at the beginning of my day rather than the end of my day. works out better for me that way :) For now at least. I like this bc it seems easy to change to whatever routine you have at that time.

I do a lot of running, its an easy thing to knock out for my work outs. But i think i'll sit down and try to find a good way to write in weights to my routine. i like to have things written out on paper so this task may need to be taken on tomorrow. Ok. some weights, maintain cardio, and IF... hopefully this will take my loss from 3-4lbs a month to 6-8 :) that would be super! I'll keep you all updated.

If you are just starting weights, don't be too worried about the scale. Helps with body recomposition which doesn't necessarily mean a lower scale weight. This is why measurements/pics/mirror are a good thing to keep track of. Sounds like a good plan though.

Compound lifts (multi joint) are the best bang for buck movements. Focus on squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, rows and chinups (lat pull down if you can't) and you will be on a winner :smile:
  • emmab0902
    emmab0902 Posts: 2,337 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if IF is my natural preference. For ages (years) I have not eaten until about 1-2pm, then stopped around 9pm. In recent months I have started eating more regularly and suddenly I can't shift the weight???? Total calories is approximately equal, and I have added exercise, so the only change is the frequency of eating!
  • Rachel_Leigh84
    Options
    Wow! Cant believe how many people are doing this, I'm really surprised! I have just started the ESE method. Twice a week eating my last meal at 6pm and then not eating again until 6pm the next day. Its still early days yet for me to see any results but feel a real sense of achievement when I have completed my 24 hours. Again, like alot of people, I worry about telling anyone that I am fasting so its quite refreshing to see so my other IF'ers!
  • kitkatkait
    kitkatkait Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You know the one of the best parts about IF? Everything is backed by scientific studies. Diet myths busted!

I now know that I don't have to divide up a tiny 1200 calorie allowance into 5 or more "meals"

Not only do I have more calories per "eating" day because my deficit comes from my fast days, but if I want to eat the last 600 calories I have today in one big meal, there's nothing stopping me.

I can eat whenever I want to and not fear hunger. Freedom is sweet!
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Update! After 2 weeks of IF I've *finally* seen a change in the scale, (after ~3 months of no change in weight downward). Loving this so far! Breakfast is so overrated! ;)

Additionally, it gets easier and easier to fast in the mornings. If the day is particularly tough I'll drink a cup of coffee at work and it'll carry me through.

I could have written this post. I do ESE and (after the first, very very hard time) have found it easier and easier. I dont like the idea of doing it everyday (legrains?) as I have tried working out fasted and it was crap so the twice a week method suits me better. One of those days is my day off gym day, the other day I work out in the afternoon (I much prefer morning workouts, which also fit better around my shift work)

This is brilliant. Brilliant.
  • Bluestar083
    Options
    Wow, I've missed a lot.

I'm back to the ESE style.
    LG was just not working out for me, with my varied exercise schedule & such.

ditto. plus its only twice a week, not every fricken day :)

I only go for 18-20 hours though. Might try 24 hours tomorrow. We will see. Am on night duty next week so rarely eat much anyway so if I am hungry at 18 hours i will eat.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    On the fasted training: its weird but I only do out once a week but I seem tip be getting used to out anyway. Set 20rm squats today fasted after 1.5hr walk & all my regular squats.
  • FaithHopeBELIEVE
    Options
    Would love to try this!
  • nyctraveler
    nyctraveler Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • catwrangler
    catwrangler Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    http://www.leangains.com/2010/04/leangains-guide.html

I'm starting 16/8 on Tuesday (Monday night). I'll figure out the exercise part after a few days :drinker:

PS you'll have to download google chrome browser to view that link correctly and easily.
  • Lesah0808
    Options
    Hello Everyone!!! I have been reading your post and googling ESE, LG, IF, IIFYM, etc. My head is spinning. I've fasted for 4 days in the past and lost weight. I didn't eat until after 6pm but before 8pm because I try not eat late. There is scientific explaination behind fasting and I know it is true but right now I feel like Boo-Boo The Fool trying to understand the difference between the two fasting styles to better determine which would be more benefical. Someone please HELP me because I know this will help me. Thank you MFP family.
  • Vodkha
    Vodkha Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I ate this way for awhile a couple years ago and it worked out really well with my schedule. I am not a breakfast person and the idea of having to eat every 3 hours is tiring. I don't want to be eating all the time! I am going to try going back to this way of eating. For me, I think 20/4 will work best, following the Warrior Diet idea. I work 8am-5pm so my idea is to workout right after work and then have my eating phase between 7-10pm or 7-11pm, depending on when I go to bed.

If anyone wants to add me as a friend so I can have a bit of support and motivation, please feel free :)
  • skinnyfat14
    skinnyfat14 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am trying this out starting today. Well I started thursday night and fasted for 14 hours and then over the weekend I didn't do to well. So starting fresh today. The last thing I ate was 10:30 last night so I'm going to try and make it 16 hours till 2:30 today. I would love to be able to do the 20/4 but right now it sounds impossible to me. Hopefully I can work my way up to that. So how do you guys incorporate workouts into this? and do you fast every day? I just want to get a feel for what works for everyone else who's tried it.
  • chrisdavey
    Options
    workout after work at 5:30 for me. And yes, every day. LG style.
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    workout after work at 5:30 for me. And yes, every day. LG style.

So what times do you eat between? do you eat before you workout? I work 8:30-5 so my workouts would be at about 5:30 as well.
  • skinnyfat14
    Options
    Another question. I know you can have tea/coffee/water during fasting hours but can I put a little bit of almond milk in my coffee? or should it black?
  • boilermakerblaw
    Options
    Another question. I know you can have tea/coffee/water during fasting hours but can I put a little bit of almond milk in my coffee? or should it black?

I didn't look for the exact article, but I remember Martin said he was a coffee fiend and a splash of milk won't hurt you.