Couch to 10K in 15 weeks?

Options
Alright! I am going to work with my two best friends and co-workers to do the Couch to 5K (C25K) and the bridge to 10K programs.... Who wants to join us? :bigsmile:

These are apps that you can have on your ipod or android phone. Simply to track and know your plan. I think it would be great to have a group motivated to run!! I would start the week with a post about the weeks training and everyone can reply with their progress.

We start with 9 weeks on the C25K which is running/jogging three times a week. Following that, 6 weeks running the bridge to 10K. I was planning on running Mon, Wed, and Friday; but I am sure weekly checkins will work just fine. :wink:

Check it out:
http://www.c25k.com ( http://www.c25k.com/c25k_treadmill.html )

We will start on Monday May 2nd (or 1st if you need to)

5K is 3.1 miles
10K is 6.2 miles

:flowerforyou: Can't wait to get started!!!!! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to make those links work, sorry :grumble:
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I just started this monday (im also running monday, wednesday & friday) so today is my 2nd day of running this week. I'd love to join and do the 10k afterwards :) count me in.
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I still cant believe i did 5k. I am intrested in 10k. However I m very scared though. But certainly will give it a try.
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I've actually been putting off doing this program for too long now. I need to be doing more cardio than I am now. So, I'm definitely in for this. I may not do the bridge to 10K just yet - seeing as I'm SUPER overweight still - but I may do a repeat of a few weeks, especially when it gets harder, so it'll all even out, I think. But yeah, I'm definitely in for this. :]
  • SouthernAngel
    Options
    Count me in! I have always wanted to do this, just never had the motivation too. It would be fun to do with some other MFP'ers :bigsmile:

I have printed out the treadmill version and have my start date as Monday, May 2nd! I will also do Mon, Wed, Fri. Great idea! Can't wait to start!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm in!!!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Fantastic!!!! I am glad everyone is excited to join. I am not a running coach by any means but I have completed two half marathons with Team In Training (walking). I know that feeding off others is very helpful and repeating difficult weeks is understandable.

I will start on Sunday morning with posting the first weeks plan and some suggestions to help along the way.... look forward to running with you :bigsmile:
  • rissadiane
    Options
    Sounds great! I can't wait! :)
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Alright.... to help everyone make plans I am posting the first week early :laugh:

Week 1
    5 minute brisk walk to warm up
    60 second jog
    90 second walk
    repeat this for a total of 20 minutes
    5 minute brisk walk to cool down.

Do this three times this week.
    Walk at your speed and jog at your speed which means if your jog is at 3.0 on the treadmill that is great!! Do what you can and don't think you have to start at a run if you aren't ready :embarassed: Just doing the workout is sucess :bigsmile:

:drinker: Drink plenty of water during the day of your run and drink while you "recover" walking during the workout. Additionally drink water after your workout will help.

Stretching your legs after the run is key to staying loose, you don't want to be too sore :grumble:
    Use the wall and point your toes up then lean into the wall to stretch the calf. :love: You can also use a stair and keep your toes on the step and lean your heel off the step. Do butterflies, static (nonmoving) lunges, and reach for your toes eighter standing or sitting (or both) to stretch your hamstrings and quads. :smile:

Also it may be beneficail to add in a day of strength crosstraining. This should be about 30 mins.
  • rissadiane
    Options
    This has me so excited! I like how it's all broken down and easy to follow. I'm hoping it'll work for me! And I don't see why it shouldn't. I'm just happy for finally have support to do it :happy:
  • lailenm
    lailenm Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Did Week 1, Day 1 today and I feel pretty good. Its rough being so heavy, so I'm not surprised that I struggled, but I never gave up, and that's motivation to make me do it again on Wednesday. :]
  • SouthernAngel
    Options
    SO happy with today. I was pumped all weekend about starting this program. Day 1 went great for me :) Was able to finish and work up a good sweat. Hope you all enjoyed day 1 as much as I did, see you Wednesday!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Did Week 1, Day 1 today and I feel pretty good. Its rough being so heavy, so I'm not surprised that I struggled, but I never gave up, and that's motivation to make me do it again on Wednesday. :]

Grreat that you never gave up!!! Remember to "run" at your pace so that you can make it. You can always do a second round of the program to get faster :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    SO happy with today. I was pumped all weekend about starting this program. Day 1 went great for me :) Was able to finish and work up a good sweat. Hope you all enjoyed day 1 as much as I did, see you Wednesday!

SO happy that you enjoyed working out!? That is half the battle for most of us is that we just don't enjoy working out... but that will all change soon! We will all start liking to run and enjoy that more and more!!!!! :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    This has me so excited! I like how it's all broken down and easy to follow. I'm hoping it'll work for me! And I don't see why it shouldn't. I'm just happy for finally have support to do it :happy:

We got your back! All the support you could need right here! :drinker:
  • rissadiane
    Options
    Confession - I was only able to do 18 mins 30 seconds all together today :blushing: I think I pushed myself a little too hard, and I think I might have gone too soon after eating, because I started to feel sick. Wednesday is another day, right?
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Confession - I was only able to do 18 mins 30 seconds all together today :blushing: I think I pushed myself a little too hard, and I think I might have gone too soon after eating, because I started to feel sick. Wednesday is another day, right?

Wed is another day! You don't have to run a 10 minute mile or even a 15 minute mile... run at your pace.

P.S. make sure you have time to digest your food :sick:
  • rissadiane
    Options
    I did itttt!!! I completed today with calves killing me and in desperate need of a shower, but I did it!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • kell_riley
    kell_riley Posts: 312
    Options
    I just wanted to butt in and say i really hope you all enjoy the challenge!
    I did a similar programme to C25K and finished it a couple of weeks ago!
    I honestly never thought i'd be able to run for any extended amount of time but these plans really work!
    Yesterday (after having a week off) i ran a 15/1 run walk routine three times and i felt fab! I could have done longer i felt like the energiser bunny lol but i had to stop for college.
    I'm planning on doing Race for life 10k in july so need to get on and do the next programme really!

Good luck and keep it up! sometimes you just can't be bothered! Just try and you'll really enjoy the results!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I did itttt!!! I completed today with calves killing me and in desperate need of a shower, but I did it!!!! :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

YYEEEESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: Your calves will feel better as you go on and I always need a shower after running!? :blushing: