Couch to 10K in 15 weeks?

Options

Replies

• getsveltEagain
    getsveltEagain Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

@TS65 - So the 10K & 5k are completly different?...I thought the 10 would have just followed on after this one...Well thats what i was thinkin anyway....I kinda like my 30 min workouts, any longer for me and it starts to put me off lol

They are completely different. Bridge to 10k is the accompaniment to c25k. C210k is the SAME as c25k (starting from zero), but is an hour long workout shooting for a 10k in 13 weeks (vs. 9 for c25k). It tends to be easier than c25k in that it's working on distance from the start instead of time.

For example

Week 5/Day 3 (c210k) = run 2:30, walk 2:30 - 10x
    Week 5/Day3 (c25k) = run 20 minutes)

I started to get frustrated with c25k for a couple of reasons... 1. it went too fast for me (increasing times, I mean). 2. Just about the time I'd start sweating, it was over. 3. My ultimate goal was always going to be to run for an hour (so completing this would mean I'm only half way there). All of these were solved with the C210k program.

It's all about what your goals are and personal preference. I really don't think one is better than the other. However, c210k was better for ME.

It is always what is best for you! Glad that there was a program out there for you :bigsmile: I'll make sure to pass on that info when ask! :flowerforyou:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I did W4D1 yesterday and the first two runs were great! Then I hit the second 3 minute run and started to get tired halfway through... but made it! That last 5 minute run was rough but I made that too! :bigsmile: I will admit that I was drenched in sweat and I took the 5 minute cooldown and my normal cooldown (1 minute at a decreased speed by .5 ie 3.5 is my cooldown for the c25k so I did a minute at 3.0 and then 2.5 and so on)

I am excited to see what I can do on Wed with day 2... but I do know that I need to get some new music to run too... getting a little stale on the music side of the workout. :laugh:

How is everyone else doing this week?
  • kaylah_x
    kaylah_x Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did W4D1 yesterday and the first two runs were great! Then I hit the second 3 minute run and started to get tired halfway through... but made it! That last 5 minute run was rough but I made that too! :bigsmile: I will admit that I was drenched in sweat and I took the 5 minute cooldown and my normal cooldown (1 minute at a decreased speed by .5 ie 3.5 is my cooldown for the c25k so I did a minute at 3.0 and then 2.5 and so on)

I am excited to see what I can do on Wed with day 2... but I do know that I need to get some new music to run too... getting a little stale on the music side of the workout. :laugh:

How is everyone else doing this week?

Awesome job!!! Its so good to know that it actually can be done, even 3 min jog is a bit scary for me atm lol.... I'll just have to push thru that bit in my head that says stop im thinkin.....im not usually sore or anything just thr tiredness gets me too

Yeah i have just the one playlist with all my workout songs on it but i really need to make a few different ones i think...And play around with them to make a really good upbeat one come on around the end run time or something
  • SouthernAngel
    Options
    Week 4 is kicking my butt, but keeping me motivated. Week 5 is bringing some challenges, so I have to BE READY!! Hope everyone else is pumped up for that BIG run next week!
  • kaylah_x
    Options
    Yesterday i done 30DS before my run and although it helped me out by getting me nice and loose and stretched i was so damn tired by about 11 min mark...Never again will i do that, i felt like i didnt give it a good enough go at all...but i still managed...I didnt do my 5 min warmup so finished it a bit earlier...and that made me stuff up a few times since the times were all out lol...

Yeah think i'll just stick with my c25k only on them days haha
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Week 4 is kicking my butt, but keeping me motivated. Week 5 is bringing some challenges, so I have to BE READY!! Hope everyone else is pumped up for that BIG run next week!

Week four is tough, but we are all strong!! I also know that the first workout is fairly easy because I don't know how my body will react. The second workout is pretty rough because I know what is coming. The third workout is again fairly easy due to the fact that it is the LAST workout for the week!!! :laugh:

I am going to start looking at the 5th week and see what it holds for us :bigsmile:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Yesterday i done 30DS before my run and although it helped me out by getting me nice and loose and stretched i was so damn tired by about 11 min mark...Never again will i do that, i felt like i didnt give it a good enough go at all...but i still managed...I didnt do my 5 min warmup so finished it a bit earlier...and that made me stuff up a few times since the times were all out lol...

Yeah think i'll just stick with my c25k only on them days haha

Yeah... 30ds kicks my butt too! :ohwell: I have a friend that does yoga before running to get a good strecth. Maybe do the 30ds after the run :wink:
  • kaylah_x
    Options
    Yeah for sure! Wont be doing that again lol!

W2D3 Done!! Felt very good! I agree with what you said up there ^^ You just glide through day 3 pretty easily! Day 2 is the hardest for me aswell...Next week for me my run is 3mins...Will see how i go, is kinda scary that long lol...90 seconds doesnt seem like nothing lol Its only twice tho so thats a bonus i guess!
  • kaylah_x
    Options
    What are your distances adding up to each week? Mine has been around 2.8 / 2.9k i think

What else are you guys doing on your off days?
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I just loaded the app today :smile: added my music and planned to start tomorrow
    thinking of doing it during lunch.
    Oh Ok im in
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    What are your distances adding up to each week? Mine has been around 2.8 / 2.9k i think

I am at 2.30 miles with the warmup and cooldown. I am not sure of the conversion.

I am walking everyday on my two breaks at work and cover a mile in 20 minutes. I also am doing yoga on Mon and Wed night (currently that will change in a couple weeks). On the weekends I go to the gym and do the fat burn and weights. I really need to focus on the weights to build my muscle to increase my metabolism and slim me down :wink:
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    Yeah for sure! Wont be doing that again lol!

W2D3 Done!! Felt very good! I agree with what you said up there ^^ You just glide through day 3 pretty easily! Day 2 is the hardest for me aswell...Next week for me my run is 3mins...Will see how i go, is kinda scary that long lol...90 seconds doesnt seem like nothing lol Its only twice tho so thats a bonus i guess!

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    I just loaded the app today :smile: added my music and planned to start tomorrow
    thinking of doing it during lunch.
    Oh Ok im in

Well THAT didn't take too much conciencing!? LOL... the program is really nice :bigsmile:
  • kaylah_x
    Options

I am at 2.30 miles with the warmup and cooldown. I am not sure of the conversion.

I am walking everyday on my two breaks at work and cover a mile in 20 minutes. I also am doing yoga on Mon and Wed night (currently that will change in a couple weeks). On the weekends I go to the gym and do the fat burn and weights. I really need to focus on the weights to build my muscle to increase my metabolism and slim me down :wink:

wow thats 3.7K's...Either im way to slow or my treadmill is out on that aswell....It has always been out on my calories usually have to times the number by 3 to get what my watch says...stupid thing!

Oh yep cool...I have only been doing the running on c25k days...Tue, Thurs, and the weekend i just do a dvd. Maybe i need to change it up a bit to see on the scale....I havent weighed yet since i've been doing this though, and prob wont for another week, since i was naughty last weekend lol
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    We are halfway done with C25K!!!! :drinker: Four more weeks and then we start the B210K program.

This week and next we progress to longer run times over the three workouts, this means there are THREE DIFFERENT workouts. (In the past all three have been the same :wink: )

Week 5
    Workout 1
    5 minute brisk walk to warm up
    5 minute jog
    3 minute walk
    5 minute jog
    3 minute walk
    5 minute jog
    5 minute brisk walk to cool down.

Workout 2
    8 minute jog
    5 minute walk
    8 minute jog

Workout 3
    20 minute jog

Do this three times this week. :noway:
    Walk at your speed and jog at your speed which means if your jog is at 3.0 on the treadmill that is great!! Do what you can and don't think you have to start at a run if you aren't ready Just doing the workout is sucess

:drinker: Drink plenty of water during the day of your run and drink while you "recover" walking during the workout. Additionally drink water after your workout will help.

Stretching your legs after the run is key to staying loose, you don't want to be too sore :grumble:
    Use the wall and point your toes up then lean into the wall to stretch the calf. You can also use a stair and keep your toes on the step and lean your heel off the step. Do butterflies, static (nonmoving) lunges, and reach for your toes eighter standing or sitting (or both) to stretch your hamstrings and quads.

Read a couple of my blog posts for strength training to help with running. On facebook I have "liked" The Couch-to-5K Running Plan... check them out :bigsmile:
  • kaylah_x
    Options
    wow!....Good luck guys!
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    WOOHOO!! So inspiring to see everyone continuing on!

I'm about to start week 4 of C210k. Today's run will be 5 min warmup, then run 2/walk 3 eleven times, for a total of 62 minutes. I'm excited to see how far I can get with this one; so far, my furthest "run" was 7 km on week 3 day 1. Exciting!
  • kaylah_x
    Options
    W3D1 Done yesterday...Was pretty good! I wanted to go for longer! lol
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    WOOHOO!! So inspiring to see everyone continuing on!

I'm about to start week 4 of C210k. Today's run will be 5 min warmup, then run 2/walk 3 eleven times, for a total of 62 minutes. I'm excited to see how far I can get with this one; so far, my furthest "run" was 7 km on week 3 day 1. Exciting!

I amd glad that you find this thread inspiring!!! I am sure we all do :wink: Keep us updated with how far you get in your runs this week!
  • getsveltEagain
    Options
    W3D1 Done yesterday...Was pretty good! I wanted to go for longer! lol

THAT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!! and you were worried about running for 3 minutes... tsk tsk!? :bigsmile: