What's the worst thing someone has said to about being overw

Options
lil_missfit
lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
I just got to thinking about this today when reflecting on how far I've come overall. I've always been teased about my weight. As far back to kindergarten (yes I remember)

I don't think I could possibly write all the insults down. Share some that you have overcome...if you like.

I had someone tell me I was too young to look this terrible ( gee thanks!! I think I'll go drown my tears in a bucket of ICECREAM!!) * the old me *

So glad to have pushed past all of it:)) and to have developed a better self image:))

Replies

• Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    When I was 14, some kids in my class were discussing treadmills. I forget what I said, but the jerk who responded to my comment said that I should have no problem reaching and pushing the buttons on the treadmill because my fingers were so fat. I felt slapped. And then confused. What does the width of my fingers have to do with reaching the buttons? I had never been self-conscious about my ring size until then. But I've never been able to shake it since.
  • DKBelle
    DKBelle Posts: 585
    Options
    I never had any problem with my weight, but I gained 20 lbs in 3 years and I guess the worst thing was when I was going on the Metro and someone asked me if I want to sit cause I look pregnant lol I told the lady that no thanks I am not pregnant and she looked like confused and felt bad about asking me :P
    I was just laughing about it.
  • janagrace7
    janagrace7 Posts: 4
    Options
    People who say things like that make me mad....:noway:
  • gameovergt
    gameovergt Posts: 502
    Options
    no weight issues but was put down while growing up because I was poor!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    When I was working as a cocktail waitress, the other waitress was tall, thin, and blonde (all the things I'm not). I was at another bar on my night off and a guy walked up and said "Hey I know you, you work at that mexican place... you're the chubby one." I was so embarassed. If I had seen him at my work after that (which I didn't) I would have fed him virgin drinks all night while he paid for liquor. *kitten*.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    My aunt just came out and said, "Wow Ashley, you got fat". I said "thanks for noticing" and walked away. She's a paranoid skitzophrenic, so I try not to take it personally because she doesn't know what she's saying. But it still hurts...
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    Lets see here. I have been asked how far along I was 3 times by 3 different strangers within 2 years before I even had a child! Umm, THan there was the time i was walking home from the library one late night at college and 2 guys went buy me in a pick up and yelled JENNY CRAIG at me ( that was when I was 50 pounds lighter than what I am now. Lets see, Than the time when one of my moms friend suggested I lose weight because I am too pretty to be fat.

The time in jr high I told my mom I wanted to look like mariah carey and she told me I had alot of work to go. At 14, I certainly did not!
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My own mother bless her heart I think I was about 10 she had some cookies and I asked if I could have some she told me to go look in the mirror and see if I needed a cookie! CTFU..It's funny now but it hurt like heck back then!
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    no weight issues but was put down while growing up because I was poor!

I was too! Probably the most insults I ever got were because we were poor, but I did have some insults since I got womanly a lot earlier than other girls did. One boy said while we were doing slip n' slide, "You have fat legs." It really broke my heart, I was about 8 or 9, I think. But, now it doesn't bother me. I've been skinny, fat, skinny, fat since then. I guess I've gotten used to it.
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    When I was 14 one of my closest friends made a joke about my "thunder thighs". Not really a great thing to hear at such a self-conscious time.
  • Tkhk0514
    Tkhk0514 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well someone told me - wont say who but just say they are a very close family member - that I looked like an F-ing Jelly Donut. (in a very heated argument)

Those words hurt very bad and something I will never forget. But, I do have to say that I think it has been was pushed me to finally start losing weight and changing my eating habits.

Although I will never forget the hurt that I felt that day, we can now somewhat joke about it.
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    Once in high school we were in all being ushered somewhere in a big group the group stops and you know how when one person in a group pushes someone it's a chain reaction and everyone gets pushed, I ended up stepping on this dumb (and she really was dumb, not passing any of her classes dumb) skinny cheerleader's foot she says "God I hate fat people" my response "I hate stupid people, what's your point?" haven't talked to her since and we're cousins!! Seriously!!!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Someone told me that I would be really good looking if I lost about 20lbs. This seems simple and maybe not that bad, but it cam from someone that I was in a relationship with and it was a very hurtful to me. I was always self conscious and have had many other comments and insults about my weight but this is the one that struck me pretty hard.
  • dbcja
    dbcja Posts: 54
    Options
    About 8 years ago my Aunty said to one (YES, My Aunty) "You used to have such a nice shaply body, your to young to let yourself go"
    (I have got to say that no matter how big I am my body is ALWAYS a hourglass shape)

And more recently I was asked when I was due, and when I said "Im not pregnant" they said 'Well you mustve just had a baby then?" Talk about learn when to shut up lady!
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I was always really thin and fit growing up, but now I'm in my late 30's, have had two children and, of course, have put on some weight...The worst thing that I've heard numerous times is, "You look good for having had two kids." To me it seems like a back-handed compliment...
  • rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    oh yeah, one more.... My cousin and I look a like, and at the time, had similar haircuts. One big difference was I was about 20 lbs heavier than she was at the time. We were walking out of a store and a guy going in said, "big one, little one" pointing at me and then her.
  • Perfectlycrooked
    Perfectlycrooked Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I remember I went to sit down on a plastic and this skinny girl in my class said we should probably trade so I didn't break it.
    I wanted to die :/
    I've had tons of horrible things said to me!
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I remember the first time someone called me fat to my face.....before that time, I wasn't self conscious about it....after that.....I was paranoid about it....
  • luppic8
    luppic8 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am fortunate to never have been over weight and I can only imagine how horrible it is to be teased about it, especially when you are young...I'm very sorry you had to go through that.

I was having a work related conversation with a person in my office (she is classified as the mean girl and one that likes to gossip) and in the middle of our conversation, a large lady walked by.She stopped mid sentence to comment on her weight. She said "I can't even imagine how it feels to walk around looking that disgusting, just looking at someone like that you automatically assume they are dirty and smell!"

I was SHOCKED at what came out of her mouth. Now mind you, she is not on the tiny side. The mean girl in me came out and I responded "wow, people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." Her jaw dropped!! I told her just how mean spirited her comments were and how much it really disturbed me to har her talk like that about such a nice lady. I just don't get some people...
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    Then there's the back handed compliments.... "wow, you have such a pretty face!" While looking at me up and down, critiquing the rest of me...*kitten* wipes....