What's the worst thing someone has said to about being overw

Options

Replies

• shybelle
    shybelle Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    high school was terrible...one that really sticks out is one day when I decided to eat lunch ( i rarely ate lunch in high school) I was walking to put my tray up and a bunch of football players mooed as I walked by. I still cry about that sometimes...
  • marci355
    marci355 Posts: 292
    Options
    This entire thread makes me want to cry.....my heart goes out to each and everyone one of you that has been ridiculed, insulted, slammed, rejected and generally made to feel like you are less of a "human being" for being overweight. Wow.....just wow.....Feel free to add me as a friend. Been there, done that.....:ohwell:
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I had a group of teenage girls (about 15 or so) say to each other that if they ever looked like me when they got old they would kill themselves. This was in the rec centre change room.

I was a teen girl once but I would have NEVER said anything like that to anyone...my parents raised me better I guess.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    high school was terrible...one that really sticks out is one day when I decided to eat lunch ( i rarely ate lunch in high school) I was walking to put my tray up and a bunch of football players mooed as I walked by. I still cry about that sometimes...

I had two similar things like that happen to me by football players.....
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I've had a few/lot of those comments. I know I was pretty average thin until about grade 3/4. I was a tad larger, maybe 10lbs or so. But I ballooned a bit more in Grade say, 5/6 and since I was already an outcast and a loser, that didn't quite help, since I have a twin who has always been thin(but actually gained weight due to medication, losing 30 of it, so proud :)

I know there weren't alot of Elementary children that were overweight except maybe one or two. While I was pudgy, they were quite overweight. People tormented them and even though I wasn't really one of those - I still feel horrible for them and wish I could turn back time and kick all their *kitten*. Lol.
    I remember those damned Track and Field obstacle events, and how I despised the hurdles and that pole thing.. Srs, I DONT WANT TO JUMP OVER A POLE INCHING HIGHER EACH TIME.
    But anyway - one of those girls in the Hurdle race tripped and fell, .. everyone laughed. I wish I had the balls to of went over and asked if she was okay.. :(

But me, right. My Grandma would comment on how beautiful my cousin was, how fit my other one was and how there's some solutions to help with my acne. :\ My mom never really put me down, she was really good actually. But kids weren't. As I was usually ignored at school, I would get some random snickers and backward comments. At home is where I was tormented and badgered about my weight, my inability to run, and noises were to of been had. I know I went f rom say.. 160? or something like that and got depressed and dropped out of school, gaining weight to of almost 200lbs on my 5'6'' frame. I was severely down then, .. it took me a while but I did change and am glad I did. I just wish I had of done it years ago, maybe I would of had friends? Maybe, maybe not. lol.

Good times.... Ah well. Can't change the past huh, just take the reins of the future.
  • Tandksmommy11
    Tandksmommy11 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    I was never really heavy in high school, but that was because I suffered from an eating disorder. I was disgustingly thin.

Most recently, my husband (while we were separated) called me a "fat *kitten* c*nt". It hurt, but at that time- we weren't getting along (hench the reason we separated) so I didn't really let it hurt me to much. I was in a relationship with a great guy at the time, and I knew he thought I was beautiful no matter what size I was.

I would love to know when people decided that it would be ok to make fun of someone for their size. I chalk it up to the fact that these people are reflecting on me what they probably think about themselves. Whether it be their own weight, their big nose, their lack of breasts, etc.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Is that all you do is eat??how rude!!
  • sherri85
    sherri85 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Wow and you have such a pretty face... I've heard that many times.. People who have never had a weight problem don't understand. It comsumes your life!! Im so glad to have found this site, it is so helpful to hear others going through the same things..
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    When a distant relative found out I was preggo and made a coment to my stepmom that she hoped the pregnancy didn't have any complications due to my weight.
    While it was thoughtless of your stepmother to pass that comment onto you, your distant relative was not necessarily being unkind. Obesity can have particularly serious consequences in pregnancy and childbirth and she may well have been expressing a genuine concern.

Back to the subject, I can laugh at it now, but when looking through some old photos with my (incredibly tactless) ex husband, I pointed out a photo of me in a dress that was not particularly flattering. I mentioned that I probably still had it somewhere, and should really throw it out. Yes, he said, it doesn't suit you at all in that photo and you weren't even fat then! :O
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I should add, you really can't win. When I hit my normal, healthy weight (114 lbs.) a few years ago, I had my mother, my friends, and my ex making comments about how I looked too thin, that I'd better not lose any more weight or I'd start looking "gross", saying my face looked too skeletal, and questioning whether I had an eating disorder. I'd like everyone to just shut up about my body unless they have something constructive to say ("Hey, you're looking really fit, good for you!" or whatnot). Ugh. :angry:

I wish I knew you so I could give you a hug, the people who a closest to use cut the deepest.
    I get the same thing now. When I tell people that I am still trying to lose about 10 lbs they start telling me I will disappear if I lose anymore weight. "you don't want to lose those curves." I kinda makes me laugh' I know what my body looks like. I have just stopped talking to people about it even when people think they are being nice or funny they can be so cruel.
  • ElizabethRN59
    ElizabethRN59 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Well, besides the numerous times i have been asked "how far along are you" or "when did you have the baby?"- mind you i have not had any children yet!, i have also pretty recently had a co worker looking at a picture on my desktop at work (a pic from my honyemoon almost 2 years ago this week) and look right at me and say- "wow you have really put on a lot of weight since then huh? you used to be pretty, you might want to think about losing some weight to get back to that!" UGH i could just scream at people some times! But now, i look back and think- i needed to hear that to make the change in my eatng and exercise habits so i can get back to the feeling of being happy with me! NOT what other people think, but what i think!
  • ewebber88
    ewebber88 Posts: 33
    Options
    I used to work at a gas station and a guy that comes in regularly brought in some diet pills and handed them to my manager. I was in the cooler at the time so he told him to give them to me. He told my manager to tell me that I would be a really nice looking girl if I lost some weight. When he came in later that day I threw them in his face IN PUBLIC and told him I didn't need them. Idiot says well I was only trying to help. I told him I didn't need his help. Ignorant *kitten*. I was always teased about being overweight but that was by far the worst ever!
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I was asked when I was due?

Due?

hmm......I think they thought I was pregnant....and Im a GUY.......Whoa, some people..........
  • HaleyAlli
    HaleyAlli Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier, I was asked once when I was due.
    A male friend of mine use to tell me that I would be stripper hot, if i lost some weight...and everytime he saw me he would grab a little fat from my arm and say " You haven't been working out"

Now, back when I was a kid, say middle school days, I was picked on because I was too skinny.

Oh my goodness when I was with my ex-boyfriend he would jiggle my arm fat for no reason... I bet that's what he was thinking! UGH...
  • ElizabethRN59
    ElizabethRN59 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    UGH! sitting hear reading all of these comments just make me so upset! I was raised in such a way that even not having been overweight and understaood- i would never had made those kind of comments to other kids! WOW!

Aother one i thought of though- my mother in law and i have never really been on GREAT terms but we try. In the past 12-18 months she has put on a decnelt amount of weight (like 40-50 pounds). One time, right before my wedding mind you, we were shopping for clohitng for her and she was trying on somethings in the dressing room, came out and basically yelled "oh my gosh, i wear the same size as you, UGH now i really am FAT!" I wanted to curl up in a hole and die! I was so upset. My mom, who has always been supportive, stepped in and sent my somewhere in the store to get me away from her. My husband (fiance at the time) was really supportive too- he told her that either she thought about what she says around me, or we would not being comig to visit anymore. She really just doesnt think before she speaks sometimes! Now, i am uised to it and have a good enough self image to be able to let it roll off my back, but then- man i was depressed for weeks!

I agree- i think it hurts most when it comes from those closet to you! Thankfully my mom, dad, brother, and husband have always been supportive and understanding about my self conciousness!
  • ravenclawseekergirl
    ravenclawseekergirl Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I almost cried reading some of these stories.
    I seriously put on weight when i started secondary school at 11. I'd gone from a small school with 400 pupils to one with 2000 and was really naive. It took a year before i made any friends. People used to call me Hagrid a name that i got called every day for 6 years and still makes me want to cry. The chav's used to sing 'boom boom skake skake the room' when i walked past.
    I wasnt what they said more what they did that bothered me.
    Boys used to try and pull my trousers down as i walked past to see if i really was a girl. Whoever invented communal changing rooms... The girls used to whisper and giggle when i was getting dressed. This is just the tip of the iceburg. I've got over 7 years of material here.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    a student in my class came up to me, hugged me around my big fat stomach, and said (pure innocence) "does it keep you warm at night like a polar bear?"

I cried then. I felt hopeless. I hated what I had done to myself. That comment doesn't sting now like it did then, and in a way I'm grateful that it was the words of an innocent child that spurred me to action, instead of an intentional mean comment like so many of you have shared here. Hugs to all :heart:
  • NoMoreThickyMickey
    NoMoreThickyMickey Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'm deeply saddened by these stories because they seem to bring back very dark moments in my life...

I'm a twin and my sister is considerably smaller than me and when we played basketball she was always Michelle Jordan and I was always Charlene Barkley.

Or when my dad took em and my sister shopping for uniform pants, he said, " wow, you're just a freshman in high school and you already are out of the juniors department".

The numerous amounts of you have a big pretty face or you would be prettier if you were smaller.

I'm 40 pounds lighter than I've been in years and I told a potential boyfriend that I'm proud of myself for losing weight. He said, "wow, I probably wouldn't have been interested in you 40 pounds ago".

Comments like these really do hurt people and no matter how much you forgive those who say these mean-spirited comments, you always remember.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options

I'm 40 pounds lighter than I've been in years and I told a potential boyfriend that I'm proud of myself for losing weight. He said, "wow, I probably wouldn't have been interested in you 40 pounds ago".

ugh I hope you crossed him off the list of potential suitors...what a rude comment. He showed you instantly what sort of shallow person he was.
  • SamiePuente
    SamiePuente Posts: 19
    Options
    I've had many things said and done to me growing up and I can't even bring myself to write them all down in fear that I will just burst into tears so I will only mention one...

When I was in middle school I had a crush on one of the boys in my class. He found out and told me that he would date me... if I wasn't so fat. If I could lose weight before the year ended I could talk to him, but until then I should stop eating,