One Hour Runner Thread

Options

Replies

• shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    Gonewiththewhigne -- I'm so impressed that you have been upping your runs on your own. I knew that, without the structure of a predeveloped program, there is no way I would ever up my runs on my own. Welcome to our little thread! Do you have any specific running goals or races planned? I love to hear about what keeps people running!

Ceri -- that's so exciting, that you signed up for a half marathon!! I have recently gotten the inkling that I want to eventually run a half marathon. However, considering 10 weeks ago the only place I ran was to the ice cream container, I have a ways to go before I actually sign up for one! :laugh:

As for me... I ran my first OHR run tonight -- W1D1 is in the books! Mentally, it was a tough run. I didn't particularly want to do it, so my feet felt like they weighed 8000 pounds. But I trudged through it, and actually ran about as far as I do on a good run. It wasn't physically a bad day, just mentally. W2D2 is on tap for Friday, hopefully it will be better!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Week 1 all done!

3 minutes at 3.5
    17 minutes at 4.6
    13 minutes at 4.7
    3 minutes at 3.5

Total of 2.65 miles, I usually finish 3.1 miles, but I wanted to do step class today, then when I got over to the other side of the gym the class had already started, so that kind of stunk!

I was really struggling at the beginning of this run today, just not feeling it, but I pushed myself to get past that first 10 minutes and prayed that I'd feel better and I did! Around 17 minutes in I decided since this was my last day of week 1, I was going to bump my speed up, just a notch, for the second half of the run, to prepare for next week.

Overall, I felt pretty good running today except for the beginning, I did return my sneakers and exchanged them for a pair of New Balance that I had tried originally. I really like them! They feel much lighter & airy then my other ones did, my feet don't feel so restricted, so I'm really happy about that!

I'll start week 2 either Saturday or Sunday.
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Well, I still haven't decided what program I'm "officially" going to be doing ... but I'm still running the C25K week 9 workout (30 minutes), so I guess I'm doing the OHR workouts by default, until I decide.

(Well, actually, on Monday, I decided to try a bit of speed work: 1 x 400 fast, 1 x 200 recovery, then four sets of "1x200 fast, 1x200 recovery". Finally, 1.25mi jog. My shins were screaming at me, but I was "pleasantly sore" in my quads the next day. Don't know if I'm going to make that a regular once-a-week part of my routine...)

On Wednesday, I did a 5-minute walking warm-up, a 30-minute jog (just about 100m short of 3 miles!), and a 5-minute cool-down walk...

Thinking of entering another 5k this Saturday, so that'll take the place of another "30-minute" workout...

Happy Running!
  • jilld76
    Options
    Great Job Larry!

I recently saw a post on another thread with a great interval workout, I'm thinking I will do it after I finish OHR. I thought about doing it on my off days, but I think that might be too much and my long runs will suffer. So I'll wait and do it later, right now I just want to keep building my speed, distance, and time.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Congrats to C25k graduates!

I'd like to join you.

My weekly Long Runs are just tipping over One Hour now, but I find I have to walk a few to several steps, several times throughout the workout.

I'm looking forward to the day I can run OHR without stopping.

I train at a target Heart Rate, so if it goes over, my HR watch beeps at me to slow down.... if it beeps again, I take several walk steps before starting jogging again.

Great topic!

:smile:
  • LarryPGH
    Options
    thanks, jill!!!

I just looked through this thread again, and saw your post about tight shoes and treadmill inclines... good to hear that your feet are feeling better in the new shoes! one other thing to keep in mind, surprisingly enough, is *socks*! a pair of socks designed for running will have arch support, more padding in the heels, and more to the point -- less bulk in the toes, so that your toes don't feel so tightly constricted in your shoe!

also, I've always heard that a 1% incline in a treadmill is a *must* for helping stave off shin splints and lower leg pain... so if you want to help "simulate" outdoor running, you might consider bumping up the incline a bit more! (At the very least, it will make you stronger!)

Happy running!!!
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    , surprisingly enough, is *socks*!

I really like Feetures
    socks.
    I had been running in the Blue ones, but I've recently switched over to the "diabetic" Feetures and , wow, I like them a whole lot better!

:smile:
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    W1D2 complete! It was my best run yet!! I ran farther than I ever have, and my body felt amazing! I really pushed it, something I've never really done before. I've always just made it my goal to finish the 30 minutes, no more and no less. Just finish. But today, I wanted to push it harder than I have been, and I made a conscious effort to run harder and faster. I guess you could say my fear of not being able to finish the 30 minutes is finally disappearing!!

Larry, Jill, etc -- I've heard the same thing about treadmills and recommend it to friends I have doing C25K on the treadmill. I ran C25K on the treadmill once -- W1D1 -- and the shin splints were so bad I couldn't stand it. So I switched to running outside and haven't had a single shin splint since.
  • jilld76
    Options
    thanks, jill!!!

I just looked through this thread again, and saw your post about tight shoes and treadmill inclines... good to hear that your feet are feeling better in the new shoes! one other thing to keep in mind, surprisingly enough, is *socks*! a pair of socks designed for running will have arch support, more padding in the heels, and more to the point -- less bulk in the toes, so that your toes don't feel so tightly constricted in your shoe!

also, I've always heard that a 1% incline in a treadmill is a *must* for helping stave off shin splints and lower leg pain... so if you want to help "simulate" outdoor running, you might consider bumping up the incline a bit more! (At the very least, it will make you stronger!)

Happy running!!!

Funny you should mention socks because I picked some up when I got my sneakers and they really are great!!

Thanks for the advice on the incline!
  • jilld76
    Options
    W1D2 complete! It was my best run yet!! I ran farther than I ever have, and my body felt amazing! I really pushed it, something I've never really done before. I've always just made it my goal to finish the 30 minutes, no more and no less. Just finish. But today, I wanted to push it harder than I have been, and I made a conscious effort to run harder and faster. I guess you could say my fear of not being able to finish the 30 minutes is finally disappearing!!

Larry, Jill, etc -- I've heard the same thing about treadmills and recommend it to friends I have doing C25K on the treadmill. I ran C25K on the treadmill once -- W1D1 -- and the shin splints were so bad I couldn't stand it. So I switched to running outside and haven't had a single shin splint since.

Great job!! My shins never really bothered me throughout C25K, but I definitely think the incline pushes you a bit more on the treadmill. I'm hoping Sunday will be nice and I can do an outside run in the morning because I have a feeling I'm not going to have any time tomorrow to do it.
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I completed w1d2 this morning. I am still struggling with running the entire 30 mins. I'm still getting the stitch in my side about twenty minutes into the run. Thats when it gets mentally challenging to push through it. Part of my problem is that I've been sick all week and haven't run since Monday. I didn't want to push myself too hard today because my first 5k is tomorrow evening. I will also use this as w1d3.

My goal for week 2 is to run the entire 30 minuutes and incorporate 30ds. I held off on the 30ds so that I wouldn't be too sore before my 5k.

Sounds like everyone is having a good week. Keep it up!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Week 2

I'm only gonna do 1 post a week unless something REALLY interesting happens on one of my runs because most days I have nothing new to report.

Today (day 3) I was doing such a good pace for the first half and hit my halfway point after about 13 minutes - unfortunately I don't have any fancy gadget to tell me my pace. I decided to run a full 5K today and it took me 33.5 minutes overall.

I've also decided that I am gonna do the full 4 weeks of 30 minutes runs as per the plan.
  • jilld76
    Options
    Week 2

I'm only gonna do 1 post a week unless something REALLY interesting happens on one of my runs because most days I have nothing new to report.

Today (day 3) I was doing such a good pace for the first half and hit my halfway point after about 13 minutes - unfortunately I don't have any fancy gadget to tell me my pace. I decided to run a full 5K today and it took me 33.5 minutes overall.

I've also decided that I am gonna do the full 4 weeks of 30 minutes runs as per the plan.

That's a great 5k time, great job!!!
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Have you tried runkeeper? you can set the prompts for whatever interval you want, so mine is set for every 5 minutes, so it comes on and tells me how far I've gone, my overall pace, my current pace, etc... I haven't tried any others, but I really like runkeeper and you can setup your playlist to play through runkeeper so the prompts will just come on over the music.

Good Luck in your first 5k!! You're going to do great! There are 2 races in my area, which I was planning to sign up for, but my daughter hurt her knee, and I don't know if I want to do it without her. I think I should, I know she'll be there to cheer me on, but I think she hurt her knee from the running she did with me because she didn't really train to run a 5k, she just went out and did it. So I'm bummed to not have her with me.

Jill~I downloaded runkeeper to my new phone yesterday :happy: I can't wait to use it. It looks pretty cool. I hope it works with pandora. If not, I will just download songs to it. Sorry about your daughter's knee. I hope she has a speedy recovery. I think you should srill go for your next 5k. Its sounds like you are definitely ready for it.
  • LarryPGH
    Options
    well, i ran my 2nd 5k yesterday... and it went really well! i was hoping for a little less uphill running, but it wasn't too bad -- and I managed to get under the 10 min/mile average! (Well, 9:54, but still, that's where I was hoping to be!!!)

time to start working on distance... i think I'm going to add one mile per week, and i'll add it to the shortest workout each week. so, this week, i hope to run 3/4/3.

Have a great week of running, everybody!
  • jilld76
    Options
    well, i ran my 2nd 5k yesterday... and it went really well! i was hoping for a little less uphill running, but it wasn't too bad -- and I managed to get under the 10 min/mile average! (Well, 9:54, but still, that's where I was hoping to be!!!)

time to start working on distance... i think I'm going to add one mile per week, and i'll add it to the shortest workout each week. so, this week, i hope to run 3/4/3.

Have a great week of running, everybody!

Larry, that's awesome!!! What a great time!

I started week 2 yesterday, it went well, I did run outside, which was a nice change of pace.

I actually started off at a faster pace than I normally do, I was right around 5.0 and honestly I felt pretty good for most of the run. The toughest part was when I turned around to head back home, that damn road has a slight incline almost the whole way back to my house, so by the time I was to the end of that road I was dying, my legs barely wanted to move anymore.

Hoping to run again on Tuesday, have a great week everyone!
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Larry ~ gerat time!

Jill ~ running outside is a nice change from the treadmill. After doing it for a while, its hard for me to go back to the treadmill.

Starting week 2 today or tomorrow.

Happy running everyone!
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Jill ~ what are the details of the interval program mentioned a few weeks ago? Have you tried it yet?
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    Well, I finished week 1 yesterday (kind of...). I knew they were calling for crappy weather yesterday afternoon, but I thought I would try to squeeze in my run before the storms hit. Well, at the end of my 5-minute warm-up walk, it started to drizzle. But I figured meh, I'm out here, may as well just keep on running. About 5 minutes later, the driving rain hit, along with wind and thunder. The longer I ran, the worse it got. By about 18 minutes of running, it was pouring with dime-sized hail, lightning, thunder, the whole nine yards. So I ran straight home (rather than finishing my loop), and got inside not a moment too soon. As soon as I shut the door, the bottom fell out and it was raining so hard I couldn't see across the street! :noway: So I only got 25 minutes of running in.

Weather aside, it was an amazing run! I felt so strong and I found a really good stride -- no more shuffling this time! I ran exactly 2 miles in the 25 minutes, so I ran 12.5 minute miles, consistently!! That is, by far, the best/fastest I've run in my life. I might be getting somewhere with this running thing!

Larry -- AMAZING 5K time! I really hope to have a performance like that one day!

Jill -- running hills is no joke! I actually wish there were more hills around my house. Hills are such a great workout, and they are really important if you have any interest in running for longer distances (half/full marathon, etc).

I'm really looking forward to being out of these 30-minute runs! I'm ready to kick it up a notch for sure. Don't forget to stretch, and happy running!!
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    bumping this for when I'm ready - I'm about to start week 7 of c210k.

**just a thought too - make sure to check out dailymile.com. It's a great site to get support for your running. All my friends there (and some cross over here too) are really motivating - because they've all "been there."