One Hour Runner Thread

Options

Replies

• jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Jill ~ what are the details of the interval program mentioned a few weeks ago? Have you tried it yet?

Here it is:

Treadmill Interval Walk/Run - Designed by Jillian Michaels
    Below is one of the Interval workouts I do on the treadmill (designed by Jillian Michaels).
    Workout Time: 45 Minutes (3 Miles)

Minutes Incline Speed
    5 (5m) 3.5 3.5
    2 (7m) 2 5
    5 (12m) 5 3.7
    2 (14m) 2 5.2
    5 (19m) 5 3.7
    2 (21m) 2 5.5
    5 (26m) 7 3.7
    2 (28m) 2 5.5
    5 (33m) 10 3.5
    2 (35m) 2 6
    4 (39m) 7 3.7
    1 (40m) 2 5.5
    4 (44m) 5 3.7
    1 (45m) 2 5.2

Okay, I tried to fix this so all of the columns weren't smushed together but I can't and I can't find the website I got it from either, but if I do I will come back and post the link :)
  • jilld76
    Options
    bumping this for when I'm ready - I'm about to start week 7 of c210k.

**just a thought too - make sure to check out dailymile.com. It's a great site to get support for your running. All my friends there (and some cross over here too) are really motivating - because they've all "been there."

thanks for that site, I'll be sure to check it out!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Hi, everybody! Thanks for all the nice "attaboys" for my 5K! :bigsmile:

I took an extra day off, and then decided to jog slow today. I ended up doing 3.1 miles in about 36 minutes...!

I'm considering trying for a relaxed 4 miles on Thursday... but it's all going to depend on how my shins feel!

Happy running, everyone!!!
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Jill ~ what are the details of the interval program mentioned a few weeks ago? Have you tried it yet?

Here it is:

Below is one of the Interval workouts I do on the treadmill (designed by Jillian Michaels).

Thank you. I will try it out. Is this a combo of running and walking? One more runkeeper question: Do you use this for your treadmill runs too or just outside?

Thanks
  • fit4life_73
    Options

Here it is:

Thank you. That looks interesting. One more runkeeper question: Do you use this for your treadmill runs too or just outside?

Thanks
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    :wink:
    Well, I finished week 1 yesterday (kind of...). I knew they were calling for crappy weather yesterday afternoon, but I thought I would try to squeeze in my run before the storms hit. Well, at the end of my 5-minute warm-up walk, it started to drizzle. But I figured meh, I'm out here, may as well just keep on running. About 5 minutes later, the driving rain hit, along with wind and thunder. The longer I ran, the worse it got. By about 18 minutes of running, it was pouring with dime-sized hail, lightning, thunder, the whole nine yards. So I ran straight home (rather than finishing my loop), and got inside not a moment too soon. As soon as I shut the door, the bottom fell out and it was raining so hard I couldn't see across the street! :noway: So I only got 25 minutes of running in.

Weather aside, it was an amazing run! I felt so strong and I found a really good stride -- no more shuffling this time! I ran exactly 2 miles in the 25 minutes, so I ran 12.5 minute miles, consistently!! That is, by far, the best/fastest I've run in my life. I might be getting somewhere with this running thing!

Larry -- AMAZING 5K time! I really hope to have a performance like that one day!

Jill -- running hills is no joke! I actually wish there were more hills around my house. Hills are such a great workout, and they are really important if you have any interest in running for longer distances (half/full marathon, etc).

I'm really looking forward to being out of these 30-minute runs! I'm ready to kick it up a notch for sure. Don't forget to stretch, and happy running!!

You go girl! You are doing an amazing job with running. 12.5 min/mile is fantastic! You sound like you've been runnign all of your life not someone who just started 3 months ago :flowerforyou:
  • jilld76
    Options

Here it is:

Thank you. I will try it out. Is this a combo of running and walking? One more runkeeper question: Do you use this for your treadmill runs too or just outside?

Thanks

I think it's meant to be walking/jogging, but with the inclines so high on some of them I think I might still be jogging, lol!

You can't use runkeeper on the treadmill because the GPS won't register, but you can manually enter your treadmill run, if you want to just be able to track all of your runs together.
  • jilld76
    Options
    Just needed to vent a little - W2D2 of OHR = FAIL

So frustrated with myself yesterday, I went to the gym, I was looking forward to my run all day, and I couldn't physically do it. It was a combination of feeling like my feet had cement blocks on them and the gym being so ridiculously hot! I was 6 minutes into my run and my shirt was almost completely soaked, disgusting! At 10 minutes I moved to a different treadmill with a fan directly in front of it to finish, but the whole time I was running, walking, running, walking, it just wasn't good.

So as I was sweating my butt off, I realized that this is the time of year that every year I quit working out and really fall apart because I overheat and at the end of the day after I've been hot and sweaty all day, I try to go to the gym and it's hot there and I feel like I can't do anything!

Ugggghhhhhh!!!

Okay, sorry for having to vent, I just really needed to get this out, vent over!!

So, onto solutions. I'm thinking I need to start getting up and running in the morning outside before it gets too hot. Or go to the gym in the morning before it gets warm. I'm really not a morning person, but at the end of the day I know how I feel and I probably won't want to go then. I am on the road all day for work, so it's hot in the car and I'm in and out of air conditioning all day, so you can imagine how hot and sweaty I feel by the end of the day!

Is everyone else running outside now? We've had awful weather here the past few weeks, so I really should just get outside and enjoy running now that the sun is shining.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I went to the running specialty store and had them check out my feet and do a gain analysis. I ended up with Asics Gels, so I'm really excited to test them out tomorrow for my first day of OHR!

Eeeee I remember getting my first pair of proper trainers I was so excited to show them off and none of my friends could care less haha. But when I tried them out for the first time they were like running on air compared to what I was used to.

I too went to a speciality store and ended up with Mizuno (can't remember which ones) but I love them... well worth the £80 (My old ones cost £5 from Primark haha)

I continue to have problems with my left foot going numb after approximately 13 minutes of running....I think it is time to visit a running store to have a gait analysis done and I also think I need a new pair of shoes. I started doing a lot of reading on running and I think my shoes may be too small.

It could be your shoes, or it could be how you TIE your shoes. Weird, I know. But... Here's an interesting article about it (and it shows you how to tie your shoes differently to alleviate certain issues):

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--12334-0,00.html
  • fit4life_73
    Options

So frustrated with myself yesterday, I went to the gym, I was looking forward to my run all day, and I couldn't physically do it. It was a combination of feeling like my feet had cement blocks on them and the gym being so ridiculously hot! I was 6 minutes into my run and my shirt was almost completely soaked, disgusting! At 10 minutes I moved to a different treadmill with a fan directly in front of it to finish, but the whole time I was running, walking, running, walking, it just wasn't good.

So as I was sweating my butt off, I realized that this is the time of year that every year I quit working out and really fall apart because I overheat and at the end of the day after I've been hot and sweaty all day, I try to go to the gym and it's hot there and I feel like I can't do anything!

Ugggghhhhhh!!!

Okay, sorry for having to vent, I just really needed to get this out, vent over!!

So, onto solutions. I'm thinking I need to start getting up and running in the morning outside before it gets too hot. Or go to the gym in the morning before it gets warm. I'm really not a morning person, but at the end of the day I know how I feel and I probably won't want to go then. I am on the road all day for work, so it's hot in the car and I'm in and out of air conditioning all day, so you can imagine how hot and sweaty I feel by the end of the day!

Is everyone else running outside now? We've had awful weather here the past few weeks, so I really should just get outside and enjoy running now that the sun is shining.

I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there, these feelings will pass. Lately, I've been working outside because I was practicing on the same route as the 5k. Or I will run in the neighborhood. I've kinda fallen off a little myself. I'm typically a morning person, but its been really hard the past 2 wks to get out of bed. I much rather workout in the morning for several reasons: 1. its done for the day 2. it helps me stay on target with the diet, and 3. I see better results on the scale. Not to mention, if I have time to workout later, its all extra :wink: So maybe you should try alternating the mornings and evenings. That way you don't have to get up super early every morning. You have come so far, I know you will figure something out that works for you and your schedule :flowerforyou:
  • jilld76
    Options

Ugggghhhhhh!!!

I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there, these feelings will pass. Lately, I've been working outside because I was practicing on the same route as the 5k. Or I will run in the neighborhood. I've kinda fallen off a little myself. I'm typically a morning person, but its been really hard the past 2 wks to get out of bed. I much rather workout in the morning for several reasons: 1. its done for the day 2. it helps me stay on target with the diet, and 3. I see better results on the scale. Not to mention, if I have time to workout later, its all extra :wink: So maybe you should try alternating the mornings and evenings. That way you don't have to get up super early every morning. You have come so far, I know you will figure something out that works for you and your schedule :flowerforyou:

Thank you for that! And I completely agree with all of your reasons for working out in the morning! I am actually going to try alternating, I think I will do my runs in the morning because I can do them outside, so no drive to the gym, saves me time. So that will be 2-3 days a week and then I'll toss in some classes at the gym at night or maybe an occasional morning. The room where the classes are at the gym is much cooler, it still gets really hot, once we're working out, but not nearly as bad as the area with the treadmills.

I really don't have to get up extremely early, if I'm up and ready to go by 7, I'll have enough time to get ready when I get home. What I have to work on is organizing myself so that I don't need that time in the morning. I'm currently in the habit of checking my emails, printing reports for work, paying bills, etc.... in the morning while drinking my coffee, so I have to change that so I can get these things done at night or in the afternoon and use my mornings better.

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to get myself organized when I get home from the long weekend and start some morning workouts!
  • shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    W2D1 is in the books! I have a huge bruise on my left thigh from canoeing on Wednesday so every step felt like someone was punching me in the thigh. No fun! So it was pretty slow today, but I made it through. I'm already looking forward to being out of these 30-minute runs! Well... I say that now, but I know when the minutes start creeping up I'll be eating my words!

The thread has been slow this week, I hope everyone is sticking with it!!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I'm hoping that I can join your thread (thanks Shannonaufman for sharing the link).

I completed C25K about 4 weeks ago and loved that training program. I have continued to run between 3-4miles; 30-40minutes 3X/week and have really enjoyed it. But it's time to break thru the 4mile/40 minute barrier...OHR sounds like the program that can help me do it!

I'm officially starting today - W1D1 complete!
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    W2D1 is in the books! I have a huge bruise on my left thigh from canoeing on Wednesday so every step felt like someone was punching me in the thigh. No fun! So it was pretty slow today, but I made it through. I'm already looking forward to being out of these 30-minute runs! Well... I say that now, but I know when the minutes start creeping up I'll be eating my words!

The thread has been slow this week, I hope everyone is sticking with it!!

You are doing great with running and staying on program. I ran a little last night but not enough to count as OHR. I'm still not running 30 mins straight consistenly. I'm sure 85% of it is mental. I can go 20 mins nonstop. So I thought about building from there. I plan on doing OHR w2d1 in the morning.

I hope everyone is doing well.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Hi All - I'm hoping that I can join your thread (thanks Shannonaufman for sharing the link).

I completed C25K about 4 weeks ago and loved that training program. I have continued to run between 3-4miles; 30-40minutes 3X/week and have really enjoyed it. But it's time to break thru the 4mile/40 minute barrier...OHR sounds like the program that can help me do it!

I'm officially starting today - W1D1 complete!

Of course you can. The thread is usually pretty active, although its been a little slow this week.
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Glad to see you all doing so well. I had a delay in catching up to you - I'm starting Week 8 C5k tomorrow after a 10 day break to let my pinched sciatic nerve heal. I started exercising two days ago and that went well, so I'm headed out tomorrow morning to run.

Jill - I already discovered that running when it's hot makes it sooo much harder - I'll be running in the morning as often as possible this summer!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Ugggghhhhhh!!!

I've been running outside since Week 6 of C25K but hopped on the treadmill at the gym for the first time since then to do my W3D2 run and it was horrible! I was sweating buckets and constantly checking the time (I'd forgotten to bring something to cover it!) I will be avoiding the treadmill for as long as possible now...

I run outside and on warm days in the summer I go before 9am or after 7:30pm because that's just the right temperature for me. Running in the morning isn't so bad the hardest part is getting out from under the duvet. Once I'm out there I'm often still half asleep and just thinking about going back to bed rather than the fact I'm running, then by the time I'm done I'll have loads of energy so I won't need to go back to bed haha. Running outside is nicer as well because of the fresh air - it clears your head!

As for me - I haven't finished week 3 yet (will finish tonight) but on Thursday I ran W3D2 on the treadmill like I said, and I will not be doing that again in a hurry. I was drenched in sweat - I'm pretty sure the aircon in my gym doesn't work properly... It was just a horrible experience! I decided to run 5K again seeing as I was on the treadmill I could be sure of my exact distance and time and I hit 5K after 33:01 mins... I've shaved 30 seconds off my time, and I'm pretty sure I could've shaved a bit more time off that as I kept having to slow the treadmill down to take in water... when I tried to drink whilst running as 9km/h I spilt it EVERYWHERE... so embarrassing!

My slowest run speed was: 8.3km/h (to take in water)
    My fastest run speed was: 10.5km/h (I really recommend Born This Way - Lady Gaga - always gets me moving!)
    My average run speed was 9km/h
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I am game for this. I finished my c25k and planning to do 10k.this would be great. I will be joining on tuesday when i return from camping.
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread! I am going to start this program tomorrow!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    W1D2 complete. I am running a little further than the program's 30 minutes since that seems to short of a run for me (never thought I would think that!)

I have 3 outdoor runs under my belt; it is so much nicer than running on a treadmill.