One Hour Runner Thread

Options

Replies

• funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I have never heard of OHR but it looks perfect for what I am wanting to do! I will start it after my sprint tri next weekend!

look forward to hearing your progress :bigsmile:
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    this has been the week of excuses!! I thought I was getting back on track when I went for my morning run on Wednesday. I planned to do some weights and squats that night, gym on thursday and another run on friday. Well, we ended up getting hit with tornadoes on Wednesday (I live in massachusetts, so we NEVER get tornadoes) and I just finally got power back today.

So between all of my normal running around, no power=no cooking, extra running around for work because everything was more difficult with no power, and the stress of all of it, I have eaten awful and not worked out since wednesday. I'm so frustrated!!

Shannon - thank you for the motivation, I really love that we're all here to support each other and it really helps when someone else can pick us up when we're down, I hope that I am able to do the same for someone else at some point in time. And I think you're very right about how good running makes you feel in other aspects of your life and I think being so off track with my running the past month has been why I've had a hard time in other areas and am also having trouble sticking with my runs.

Acid- Your week sounds like mine, lets get back on track. Can you at least pick up some healthy food to have in the house that doesn't have to be cooked. and then choose wisely when you go out?

Fit4life - great job on your run! Whether you do OHR or something of your own, at least you're running, that's all that counts!!

I want to continue running, I think it might be tough for me to do the OHR program in my neighborhood because the hills kill me, but I can at least keep trying to battle the hills and eventually I'll get past them and be able to keep going, so I'll just do the best I can. As long as I'm running and pushing myself, I'm happy with that.

I really do love running, most of the time and really want to stick with it. Let's all push ourselves this week and get back on track!
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    W2D2 complete. Day 3 will be tomorrow; no rest day in between. I'm interested to see how my legs respond...
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Jill sorry about your week. Its hard to stay focussed it times like. You automatically kick into survival mode. So dont be too hard on yourself. I'm with you about getting back on track! Let's do this together.

Happy running!
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    :love: Alright - I'm officially jumping on board. The C25K thread where I "met" a lot of you has fizzled out since most of you graduated! I'm stubborn and want to officially finish the C25k program, and I have 2 runs of that left. But since the times I'm posting are good enough for OHR I think I'll run both of them at the same time. I'm even going to count the C25k week 8 that I just finished as Week 1 for OHR. So here is my report to get started on OHR:

5/28: week 8 c25k / week 1 ohr: 31:53 minutes / 2.5 miles
    5/30: week 8 c25k / week 1 ohr: 32:02 minutes / 2.5 miles
    6/02: week 8 c25k / week 1 ohr: 35:15 minutes / 3.16 miles

6/04: week 9 c25k / week 2 ohr: 42:18 minutes / 3.53 miles

The 3.5 miles I ran this morning was not the greatest. I got up and went out to run without eating anything (didn't want to take the time to let anything digest since I needed to run and get to work). I'm guessing the lack of food was my problem - the entire run was a struggle. But I had decided before I ran that I was going to run 3.5 miles and by God that's what I was going to do. I seem to have a problem with things like that. Since I decided I was going to run 3.5 this morning, if I had run less than that I would've viewed that as a failure. The good thing about that is that I push myself to really progress, the bad thing being sometimes I think I push myself too hard, or if I set a task that I can't complete, I think I'll take it really hard. I am taking baby steps to try to get away from this mentality, especially with my eating. In my prior weight loss journeys (there was no exercising involved with them which is in part why they failed) if I messed up my eating for one day, my thought process was that I might as well quit because I didn't do it "right".

Sorry! I had no intention of unloading any of that, it just sort of came out. :embarassed:

I'll continue to work hard - my first 5K is on 6/25 !! I'm very excited.

Jill - I have no doubt that you will make time for your running. I think you have a fantastic attitude and have no doubt that you will find a way to make it happen.

Ailene - you are amazing. You know that I think that of you. I was very happy to see you here on this thread. Let me know how running back to back was - it's something I've thought about but haven't tried yet.

Fit & everyone else - glad to join you & keep on running!!
  • aab1
    Options
    W2D3 complete. 4 miles outdoors. It took 50 minutes to run; today is our first high humidity day and I had to adjust for that. After my run I biked for a few miles and then did 2 hours of yard work. Legs feel great! (so far). My hope is to run tomorrow as well!!

@ BifDiehl - I'm glad to see a familiar MFP'r! Awesome job you're doing to complete C25K!!
    Thanks for the compliment - that means a lot to me!! :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou:
  • funfitfoodie
    Options
    W4D3

After a string of hideous runs I made sure everything was perfect for this one, I drank a load of water about 15 minutes before, I pee'd before I left, I stretched throughly and properly, I waited a while after my food, I checked the 24 hour forcast to make sure I wouldn't be too hot...

I even mapped out a new end of my route to make it a little longer and take out my dreaded incline, the new route still have a pretty rough incline but it has steps which I prefer!

And it was good! :bigsmile: I hated the first 15 minutes (as always) but after then I was okay and I really enjoyed the new end of my route - it's much prettier and in general I like change! I ran 3.3 (so close to 3.4) miles in 35 minutes so I'm still JUST under my 10 minute mile goal but feeling so much better about running now :smile:

My next run is my 5K and I really want to run a PB of under 33:01 minutes! Wish me luck!
  • funfitfoodie
    Options
    Bif - nice to see you! I looked at the C25K thread today and was really sad to see no-one posting there now :indifferent:
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Bif- WTG with finishing c25k. Sorry the thread died. Glad to have you on this thread. I'm not officially doing OHR, but my friends are here and we still support one another.

My run yesterday was pretty good. I planned to run 10min/2min run/walk intervals. Runkeeper didn't pick up the GPS signal so there went that plan. So I decided to just run as long as I could without thinking about it. I ran 14 mins non stop (1.22 miles) :smile: I finished the last 10 mins walking and a couple of short sprints.

I probably could have kept running a little longer. But I ran that route before and I remembered my 10min marker. I told myself I would atleast run until I hit that point. So once I passed that point I kept going but all I could think about was me running. So it was mentally over at that point. Next time I would set a different point on the route as my goal.

Here's to a new week. :drinker:
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    Bif -- I know exactly what you mean about setting a goal and feeling like you've 'failed' if you don't meet that goal. I, too, am working to stop that mentality. I've decided that this week my only goal is to run. Whether I do the full 30 minutes, have to stop at 25 or make it longer than 30... successfully completing my goal means I have run 3 times this week. I know this may sound like a too-easy goal, but I have got to stop beating myself up about time, pace, 'quitting', etc. I decided to take up running because I wanted to enjoy it as a sport and a hobby, not as something to stress me out in my life. So I'm not using runkeeper, I'm not worrying about pace or distance or anything this week. I'm just going to run. And dammit, I'm going to enjoy it! Also, you're going to kick so much @ss in your upcoming 5k!! Don't forget to take a deep breath and enjoy your first race! Just have fun!

aab - I'm so, so glad you've joined this thread. It's a great place to vent, celebrate, lean on another beginner runner, etc. It sounds like you're really doing well! Don't forget to schedule rest days. I know your legs might feel ok now, but you don't want to overdo it and wind up with an injury in a few weeks' time!

fit4life - Isn't it crazy how mental running can be? I mean, yeah, there's a monster physical component to it (obviously), but man is it mental. There are some days where my brain thinks I could run for a century, and some days where my brain thinks that two jogging steps and I'm going to die righthererightnow. Maybe you could try a new route? Or one you haven't run in a while? To eliminate the familiarity with markers. I have a really intricate network of streets in my neighborhood, so I try hard to take a different route every day. Or!! You could run your route backward. I know a lot of people do that when they start to get bored with their route. Just some thoughts!!

For me... Hoping to complete week 3 this week. Like I said, I'm going to try really hard to stop beating myself up about pace, time etc. I want to enjoy running for a long, long time. If it becomes something that either stresses me out or feels like work, I'll quit enjoying it and quit running. So this week is going to be a carefree week of enjoying running. Happy running!! :happy:
  • aab1
    Options
    W3D1 complete. Ran 3.27miles / 34 minutes on TM during lunch.

I ended up not running yesterday; spent 6 hours doing yard work instead which was more than enough exercise for the legs.
  • jilld76
    Options
    I love this support in this thread :)

Bif- Glad you joined us over here! And great job on your runs too!

Acid - I think your 5k was today and I'm sure you rocked it! Can't wait to hear all about it.

Aab - great runs! Did you find it difficult to run back to back days? In the past whenever I've tried that my feet have usually felt like dead weight on the 2nd day.

Fit4life - thanks for the support. Today begins a new week, lets refocus.

Bif & Shannon - I couldn't agree more with both of you about viewing every little thing as a failure and an excuse to quit! I've always done this, one bad meal in a day and I completely fall apart. One "bad" food item and the rest of the day is down hill, or a bad day eating wise, why bother to exercise. I don't want to do that anymore!

Shannon - I love your idea of a carefree running week! I love running, but sometimes I put so much pressure on myself to have to run for a certain amount of time or I see myself as a failure or a certain distance, etc.... and you're right, it's supposed to be fun and enjoyable!

So today was my day to get back on track, I did great with my eating and planned to go running tonight once it cooled off. I came home and got into a fight with my husband and could have so easily have said forget about the run! But I didn't! I changed my clothes, put my sneakers on, and got my ipod and went out and did 3.21 miles. I didn't run the whole thing, but all together I probably ran for about 33 minutes and walked a few minutes here and there. Total of 45 minutes.

The parts of my run where I feel great and feel like I could run forever make running totally worth it!
  • aab1
    Options
    Aab - great runs! Did you find it difficult to run back to back days? In the past whenever I've tried that my feet have usually felt like dead weight on the 2nd day.

@ jilld76 - My back-to-back running days went well. My legs & feet felt good on Saturday. I've had my shoes for only 5 months but have heard that you should buy new every 300 miles or 6 months. Maybe a new pair will help you?

What does everyone follow when determining when a new pair of running shoes should be purchased?
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Jill its good that you were able to refocus your negative energy and do something positive. I also like your idea of weekly goals. I think I wil do the same.

I feel much better about running this week. Not feeling restricted to a program makes me want to rfun nd not dread running.

I'm planning to run tonight.
  • funfitfoodie
    Options
    W5D1 / MY FIRST 5K WOOO

I'm pretty much copying this from my blog... it's just easier. Go to my blog if you want more! :laugh:

As soon as I signed up I was immediately determined to set a personal best of under 33:01 minutes but after finding out that Joey Essex (of The Only Way is Essex fame) was going to a club in my hometown, I HAD to be there. So I went out and got blind drunk. Stumbled home at 4am and was woken up by the plumbers/builders knocking down wallls really not doing anything for my hangover.

I spent the whole day in bed trying to recover, taking antioxidants and drinking a ton on water to try and make myself feel better until 5:20pm when I had a bowl of soup... bad idea.

I walked down to the river for a 6:40pm start and it was SO HOT. I usually either run in the mornings or late evening when its cooler so I was already unsure I'd be able to beat my personal best.

TIP: When the Marines are taking you through a warm-up do not stand on the edge where all the photographers are...

Fast-forward ten minutes and I was well on my way. I'd struggled to get out of a crowd at the beginning but was now weaving through people no problem... then we came to some grass. I don't run on grass, my normal route takes me on a little bit of a trail which I hate, I now hate grass more. I was struggling but managed to overtake a walking 'green' (greens started 5 minutes earlier). Then I was back on trail and in my element. When I saw the 4K sign I speed up. BIG MISTAKE! Was that the soup of the JaegerBombs repeating on me...? I couldn't tell. But I could feel it... almost coming up. I HAD to walk. Argh! I'm so annoyed with myself, I think it was only 10-20 seconds then I started running again, pretty slowly mind. People overtaking all me from all over the place.

To be honest though I usually really struggle to start running again after a walk but I was actually okay after this. And once I saw the big orange blow up finish I was sprinting. SO HARD. Fastest I think my legs have ever moved... but was it enough? Did I beat my PB? Or did the hangover and the soup and the grass and the heat really knock me back?

MY TIME: 28 minutes 37 seconds

I'm happy with that, it's under my PB by almost 5 minutes and under 30 minutes which was the time I had in mind! But I am a bit annoyed I stopped to walk, I'm sure I could of broken into the 27's if I had kept going.

According to my 'Numbers' spreadsheet thats a 9:13:871 minute mile :bigsmile:
  • jilld76
    Options

@ jilld76 - My back-to-back running days went well. My legs & feet felt good on Saturday. I've had my shoes for only 5 months but have heard that you should buy new every 300 miles or 6 months. Maybe a new pair will help you?

What does everyone follow when determining when a new pair of running shoes should be purchased?

That's good to hear! I actually just got new running shoes a few weeks ago, but haven't yet attempted back to back days, so I will have to just give it a whirl! I think your timeline sounds about right.
  • jilld76
    Options
    W5D1 / MY FIRST 5K WOOO

I'm pretty much copying this from my blog... it's just easier. Go to my blog if you want more! :laugh:

As soon as I signed up I was immediately determined to set a personal best of under 33:01 minutes but after finding out that Joey Essex (of The Only Way is Essex fame) was going to a club in my hometown, I HAD to be there. So I went out and got blind drunk. Stumbled home at 4am and was woken up by the plumbers/builders knocking down wallls really not doing anything for my hangover.

I spent the whole day in bed trying to recover, taking antioxidants and drinking a ton on water to try and make myself feel better until 5:20pm when I had a bowl of soup... bad idea.

I walked down to the river for a 6:40pm start and it was SO HOT. I usually either run in the mornings or late evening when its cooler so I was already unsure I'd be able to beat my personal best.

TIP: When the Marines are taking you through a warm-up do not stand on the edge where all the photographers are...

Fast-forward ten minutes and I was well on my way. I'd struggled to get out of a crowd at the beginning but was now weaving through people no problem... then we came to some grass. I don't run on grass, my normal route takes me on a little bit of a trail which I hate, I now hate grass more. I was struggling but managed to overtake a walking 'green' (greens started 5 minutes earlier). Then I was back on trail and in my element. When I saw the 4K sign I speed up. BIG MISTAKE! Was that the soup of the JaegerBombs repeating on me...? I couldn't tell. But I could feel it... almost coming up. I HAD to walk. Argh! I'm so annoyed with myself, I think it was only 10-20 seconds then I started running again, pretty slowly mind. People overtaking all me from all over the place.

To be honest though I usually really struggle to start running again after a walk but I was actually okay after this. And once I saw the big orange blow up finish I was sprinting. SO HARD. Fastest I think my legs have ever moved... but was it enough? Did I beat my PB? Or did the hangover and the soup and the grass and the heat really knock me back?

MY TIME: 28 minutes 37 seconds

I'm happy with that, it's under my PB by almost 5 minutes and under 30 minutes which was the time I had in mind! But I am a bit annoyed I stopped to walk, I'm sure I could of broken into the 27's if I had kept going.

According to my 'Numbers' spreadsheet thats a 9:13:871 minute mile :bigsmile:

That is so awesome!!! I'm so proud of you! Especially running after being hungover, I can't even get up to exercise on my own when hungover, never mind do a race! What a great time, I can't wait until I can get my time into the 20's! Heck, at this point, I would settle for under 40!
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Acid ~ You rock! That was awesome. To make a time like that after a hangover was pretty impressive. I'm sure you will beat PB the next time when you remove all the other factors. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Acid - good lord. Just thinking about running with a hangover makes me want to vomit. You're a beast!

Ran last night: C25k w9d2 / OHR w2d2 and ran 5k in 35:30 which equals 11:27/mile. I started out thinking I was going to run 2.5 and try to do it a little faster than normal, but I felt pretty good, so I added the .6 miles to it. For the next few weeks I'm going to concentrate on running 5k since I have my first 5k race June 25th!

I did have a problem with Runkeeper for the first time. The GPS was not functioning correctly - it gave me my .5 mile marker about 50 yards early (so far I've run the same route every time, so I know exactly where the half mile markers are) and then each time it chimed in to tell me I reached another half mile, the distance it was off kept growing. Anybody else have trouble like this?
  • aab1
    Options
    W3D2 - 3.94miles / 43 minutes. 10.91/minute. Today should have been my day off but I have this driving urge to run; which is quite bizarre to me considering that I ran outside....in 90 degree weather...and HUMID! But it felt great and am so glad I followed thru on it!

Everyone is doing an awesome job! Keep up the great efforts!!