One Hour Runner Thread

Options

Replies

• BifDiehl
    BifDiehl Posts: 474
    Options
    Good morning all!

Got up this morning to run before work because it's supposed to be humid and hit 97 today. Yuck! :sick:

Running was work again this morning. I don't know if I'm just getting used to running the longer distance, or what, but I've been having to really push to finish 3.1. And my runkeeper GPS was off again this morning. Not as bad as Monday, but still enough to mess up my times and be annoying and distracting. As far as I could tell, I did 3.1 in 38 minutes which is quite a bit slower than Monday. But who knows, maybe it as farther than 3.1 - not sure.

As I walked home cooling off, I realized that this morning's run was my graduation run for C25k!! I'm a graduate! :drinker: That also finished Week 2 of OHR.

We leave for the beach on Saturday and I'm looking forward to trying to run on the beach in the mornings. If anyone has any advice for doing this, let me hear it.
  • aab1
    aab1 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Running was work again this morning. I don't know if I'm just getting used to running the longer distance, or what, but I've been having to really push to finish 3.1. And my runkeeper GPS was off again this morning. Not as bad as Monday, but still enough to mess up my times and be annoying and distracting. As far as I could tell, I did 3.1 in 38 minutes which is quite a bit slower than Monday. But who knows, maybe it as farther than 3.1 - not sure.

As I walked home cooling off, I realized that this morning's run was my graduation run for C25k!! I'm a graduate! :drinker: That also finished Week 2 of OHR.

@ BifDiehl - CONGRATULATIONS!!! on completing C25K! WooooHoooo!!!! :flowerforyou: ... Awesome job!

Suggestion on your 'Running was work' comment...maybe change up where you're running? I'm already finding that after a few runs of the same path that I need a change of scenery.
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

Obviously it is up to you how many runs you do, but I feel like I really benefitted from doing all 4 weeks of 30 minute runs of the OHR after finishing C25K...

Congrats on graduation!
  • BifDiehl
    Options

@ BifDiehl - CONGRATULATIONS!!! on completing C25K! WooooHoooo!!!! :flowerforyou: ... Awesome job!

Suggestion on your 'Running was work' comment...maybe change up where you're running? I'm already finding that after a few runs of the same path that I need a change of scenery.

Thanks Ailene! You'll laugh at this, but after tonight I'll be able to change my route and here's why. I discovered early on that I CANNOT carry anything in my hands while running. I find it to be verrrry distracting. So I can't carry water. But I need to drink water during my run, so I've been running a loop - the SAME loop for about 8 weeks now. I put my water bottle on a neighbor's step that is down next to the sidewalk. I run a loop and while passing by the water bottle, I grab it without stopping. I then have time to take 3 drinks before I get to some sort of electrical box thing (I know....) where I set it down. I make another loop, grab the bottle again while running by, take some drinks and then throw it in the grass beside the sidewalk. By the time I get back to the water bottle again, my 3.1 is up and I can drink again.

Now you all know that I am certifiable. Don't worry, though - everyone here in my "real" life already knows it!

Well, tonight I'm going to go buy a waist-belt water bottle holder!! I'm very excited. It's the kind that lays parallel to the ground and is contoured to sit at the small of my back. I'm hoping that the sloshing water won't distract me. So when I use it, I'll be able to break free of my loop and run around exploring! Yay!!
  • BifDiehl
    Options

Obviously it is up to you how many runs you do, but I feel like I really benefitted from doing all 4 weeks of 30 minute runs of the OHR after finishing C25K...

Congrats on graduation!

Thanks Acid! My running schedule has been kind of squirrely - I've been running longer than 30 minutes for awhile now, trying to prepare for my first 5K. I'll keep running longer times (well, as long as it takes to run 3.1 miles) until the 5K on June 25. Then my plan is to go back to 30 minute runs (and not one second longer) for 2-3 weeks to work on increasing my speed! Then I'll continue building up to the one hour.
  • aab1
    Options
    Thanks Ailene! You'll laugh at this, but after tonight I'll be able to change my route and here's why. I discovered early on that I CANNOT carry anything in my hands while running. I find it to be verrrry distracting. So I can't carry water. But I need to drink water during my run, so I've been running a loop - the SAME loop for about 8 weeks now. I put my water bottle on a neighbor's step that is down next to the sidewalk. I run a loop and while passing by the water bottle, I grab it without stopping. I then have time to take 3 drinks before I get to some sort of electrical box thing (I know....) where I set it down. I make another loop, grab the bottle again while running by, take some drinks and then throw it in the grass beside the sidewalk. By the time I get back to the water bottle again, my 3.1 is up and I can drink again.

Now you all know that I am certifiable. Don't worry, though - everyone here in my "real" life already knows it!

Well, tonight I'm going to go buy a waist-belt water bottle holder!! I'm very excited. It's the kind that lays parallel to the ground and is contoured to sit at the small of my back. I'm hoping that the sloshing water won't distract me. So when I use it, I'll be able to break free of my loop and run around exploring! Yay!!

I'm LMFAO - you are TOOOOO funny! But that totally makes sense on the logic behind your 'madness'. I ran with a water bottle for the first time last night and did NOT like it. I agree, too distracting. Good idea on the waist-belt..I'll need to look around for that as well.

I also desperately need an armband for my MP3. I just recently bought a new one but didn't think about the armband; and, of course, no one carries Phillips MP3 armbands. I had to order it from a company out of England...what???...and expected delivery is 4-6 weeks....what??? For an armband? :grumble: ..Meanwhile, I'm holding that when I run and I HATE it!

Oh, the trials and tribulations we go thru to become healthy. :wink:
  • aab1
    Options
    W3D2.5 - ran 3miles / 31 minutes on TM. 5min @ 5.6; 15min @ 5.8; 11min @ 6.0.
  • BifDiehl
    Options
    I'm LMFAO - you are TOOOOO funny! But that totally makes sense on the logic behind your 'madness'. I ran with a water bottle for the first time last night and did NOT like it. I agree, too distracting. Good idea on the waist-belt..I'll need to look around for that as well.

I also desperately need an armband for my MP3. I just recently bought a new one but didn't think about the armband; and, of course, no one carries Phillips MP3 armbands. I had to order it from a company out of England...what???...and expected delivery is 4-6 weeks....what??? For an armband? :grumble: ..Meanwhile, I'm holding that when I run and I HATE it!

Oh, the trials and tribulations we go thru to become healthy. :wink:

I'll let you know what I think of my waist belt. I'm getting this one: Amphipod Full Tilt Velocity 20 Ounce. I thought I was going to have to order it online but I did a "store search" on the amphipod website and a running store 25 minutes from me carries them.

I ordered an armband, too. I had been making sure to wear pants with a pocket for my ipod, but now that it's so hot I've been wearing this old waist belt thing that has a pocket to stick my ipod in. It's a pain, so I broke down and ordered an armband. I just tracked it and it should be waiting for me at my house when I get home today. I'll be all suited up on Friday when I head out to run!

Sorry your armband is going to take so long to come... I hate waiting for stuff :huh:

Good run - you're fast! :glasses:
  • fit4life_73
    fit4life_73 Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Bif~congratulations on completing c25k! That is a funny story. Hey, whatever works. I've been having trouble with runkeeper too. I wasn't getting a GPS signal at all. So I powered off the phone and retried later. That seemed to fix it.

Aileen~Great run! I know what you mean about holding things. I broke down and bought an armband from amazon last week. I love it. But the damn phone is so heavy I have to make it really tight, and thats all I can think about for the first 5 minutes. Wnhen I had a smaller phone, I would stick in my bra or under the shoulder strap of the bra and tank top. :embarassed:

As for me~I haven't ran since saturday :frown: Saturday and Sunday I did an intense 10 min upper body workout with my husband. I took Monday off and did a few push ups on Tuesday. So I've been really sore. I've had good intentions to run the past 3 mornings. But excuses again. So today I pack my gym bag to go after work. Get this.......I forgot my shoes. :cry: So now my new plan is to run after dinner.

I have to do this for me! What is it going to take? URGH!
  • jilld76
    jilld76 Posts: 324
    Options
    Bif - congrats on graduation!!! Oh and too funny about your water bottle antics, lol! I don't drink while I run, actually, and this is probably kind of gross, I always have the urge to spit when I run. Don't know what that's all about!

I do have an armband and love it, I hated carrying my iphone in my hand and I would always hit stop on runkeeper accidentally.

Now that a few of you have said something about runkeeper and the GPS, I think I may have had the same issue. I kind of forgot about it, but there have been a few times when I was running and it told me I was doing a 16 minute mile or 20 minute mile, and mind you I was actually running at this point and in general run right around 5.0mph, so I think I may have lost my signal, but overall, I know my time is right, I guess the only part that could be wrong is the distance, I'll have to measure with my car.

So, it's time for me to run. I didn't run this morning and I should have because it is SO HOT here. I'm debating whether or not to run outside, now that it's getting later or to just go to the gym and do a treadmill run for tonight.

decision, decisions.....
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    Last night's workout was a walk/run with my 8 yo. She started with all this energy but only lasted about 10 minutes. After the first half mile of intervals she couldn't run anymore.

But a good workout!
  • jilld76
    Options
    I ended up going to the gym to run and it went well, I contemplated doing one of the programs on the treadmill with the increasing and decreasing inclines, but decided that it had been awhile since I had done a flat run and that was what I was going to do.

It went well, I did 2.6 miles in 35 minutes that included a 2 minute warm up walk and 3 minute cool down walk. I normally would have finished 3 miles because that's just what I always aim for now, but I was such a sweaty mess that I had to get off. I did do some squats, biceps, and triceps afterwards too.

Now that I've been running outside more, it was really a struggle to stay focused on the treadmill!

No run for me today, step class and some biceps, triceps, squats and calf raises. Hoping to do a run tomorrow morning before it gets to hot.
  • fit4life_73
    Options
    This morrning's workout was another run/walk. I felt pretty strong aftwards. I decided that would increase my speed and run as far as I could. Then would like walk a litle and then repeat until I finished my route. I would set a point to stop running. Once I reached the point I woud keep running a few more seconds to make sure I was really pushing myself. Total time was 35 mins, 2.5 miles. This includes a 2 minute w/u and 1munite c/d. I found it really bazaar that my stats were about the same when I was doing the long runs.

Off to the gym this evening. :wink:
  • aab1
    Options
    W3D3 - weather is cold & dreary so today's run was on a treadmill.

I ran for.........

Wait for it.....

It's worth waiting for......

I can't believe it myself.........

I ran for 61 minutes / 5 1/2 miles today!!! No EFFIN' WAY!!!! My goal was to go for as long as I could; at 55 minutes in my feet were getting sore. I went for 61 minutes because I wanted the full 5 1/2 miles. I feel awesome!!
  • jilld76
    Options

I ran for.........

Wait for it.....

I ran for 61 minutes / 5 1/2 miles today!!! No EFFIN' WAY!!!! My goal was to go for as long as I could; at 55 minutes in my feet were getting sore. I went for 61 minutes because I wanted the full 5 1/2 miles. I feel awesome!!

OMG!! That is fantastic!!! You must feel great! Gosh, I wish I could just consistently get myself to 30 minutes, I can't even imagine going for 60!

Rainy here today too, but I had gotten dressed for running before it started to rain, so I went out anyway. It was only raining lightly and there are a lot of trees for most of the route so I wasn't getting too wet. My plan was to get 3 miles in, but about 1/4 mile from my half way point it started to pour, so I turned around and started heading back towards home. I ran for 20 minutes and had to walk a couple minutes and then ran most of the remainder, total of 35 minutes and 2.5 miles.

The nice thing about running in the rain was that I wasn't overheating!
  • aab1
    Options
    W4D1 - Ran 4.75 / 54 minutes outside. New route; beautiful night for a run!
  • fit4life_73
    Options

I ran for.........

Wait for it.....

Awesome job! I couldn't imagine running that long. You should be proud.
  • aab1
    Options
    W4D2 - Ran 3 miles / 31 minutes on TM

Hope everyone is having a great Monday!!
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    Hey y'all! The thread has been a little slow lately. I hope y'all are still running!

It's been so miserably hot here that my only option has been to run in the morning (when it is already in the 80s!). Well, yesterday we had a pretty good rainstorm and it cooled down into the mid-70s! So I took the opportunity to get a run in. I ran farther than I ever have! I was supposed to run W3D3 (30 minutes) but I decided to take advantage of the break in the weather to get a longer run in. I ended up running for 36 minutes! So I think I'm going to just keep trucking from W4D3 and get this show on the road. I think I need to bump it up anyway.. The weekly challenge that C25K gave me just isn't there as much with the first few weeks of OHR. So I'm excited to be upping the mileage and seeing where it takes me!

Happy running!
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I haven't dropped off the face of the earth! Bad weather + a weekend away + illness has put my runs on hold but I'm hoping to do W5D2 (32 minutes) tomorrow! :smile: