everything in moderation? i respectfully disagree

Options

Replies

• unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Affording organic is easy.... Hit up your local farmers market or simply buy what is on sale. Cuts down costs and increases variety as things on sale are different every week.

Or, buy the "dirty dozen" items organic and buy the rest conventional vegetables.

Work Long hours? Well, I am going from 3:45 am - until after 10 pm at night. Sundays are cooking and prep day for me. Cut up and clean fruits and veggies well in advance, put in containers and you have them all week long. Boil your eggs so you can grab and go. Always cook left overs and take them in containers with you.

Bag your nuts so you have them readily available as snacks.

I am sorry, but I find the whole "I work long hours", my kids have practice, all as excuses. If you want a different lifestyle, you find the time to do so accordingly.

I currently work 2 jobs (1 full time, 1 part time), cook breakfast every morning for my husband and I, take care of our dogs (includes training, play time and walks), the house, pay bills, do shopping, workout and study for classes (going full time), make my own cleaning supplies, cook everything from scratch and still have time for me (getting hair, nails, tanning, massage and facials).

It just takes time and dedication.

I agree whole heartedly with the OP.

There's the problem, you don't know anything about my circumstances. Or anyone elses, so keep your judgy pants in the closet. My case in point. My JOB is travelling from one hotel to another and evaluating it. The only place I'm ALLOWED to eat is at the hotel restaurant. When I'm home, there is one grocery store. Tell me...what would you have me do? Quit a job I love? Can I move in with you?

And again, because I keep getting sucked in...
    fdh.jpg

LOL, that is a perfect picture for this topic.

I used to live in a place where the closest grocery store was ten miles from my house. MILES. And there were fruit stands scattered across the county, but no farmer's market. I think people don't realize just how difficult it is for some people to lead evaen a remotely healthy life, let alone a perfectly healthy one. I take what I can get.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Those who are unwilling to look at the past are doomed to repeat it. For years I would try to cut back on eating all the junk that the supermarket had to offer. Diet this, lo-cal that and all the additives the food giants put in there to make it taste "just like the real thing". Processed foods are so nutritionally empty I had to overeat just to feel satisfied. IT ISN'T MY OR YOUR FAULT. The GMO pushers know exactly what they are doing; keep the masses addicted to crap. Saying that once I get skinny I'll start to eat healthier is just me lying to myself. I'll go back to eating all the crap and eventually the weight will come back on and then some. Yeah, it would be great if organic food was cheaper but for me it really is cheaper because the food is nutritionally whole AND I DO EAT LESS. Maybe if more people bought organic or demanded it, the prices would come down. BTW, I've been unemployed almost a year now and living on my savings so it can be done. OK, I'm getting down off my soapbox. Geez, carolynmittens you really stirred up a hornets nest here.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    To feed both my husband and I, I am LUCKY to get about 300 a month in food assistance. I'm sorry, but if it comes to either buying organic, or being able to eat throughout the month, I'm gonna choose eating the whole month.

At the grocery store I could get conventional apples for about 0.99 per pound. The organic ones? At least $2 a pound. That is something I've noticed at multiple stores. The farmer's market isn't any cheaper around here!

I think my biggest beef with the whole thing is the attitude that we're just not trying hard enough if we don't eat a certain way. We're just making "excuses" when they might actually be logical REASONS.

A note to the OP, and I do not mean this in a snarky way

Word choice is EVERYTHING in a forum. Read the post back to yourself before posting it and think about how it might sound to someone who doesn't know you. Something you don't think is rude could easily be considered rude to someone else, and since we've got no way to include tone, the best we've got is word choice.

For example, instead of "excuses" which sounds negative, use "reasons". :flowerforyou:
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    To feed both my husband and I, I am LUCKY to get about 300 a month in food assistance. I'm sorry, but if it comes to either buying organic, or being able to eat throughout the month, I'm gonna choose eating the whole month.

At the grocery store I could get conventional apples for about 0.99 per pound. The organic ones? At least $2 a pound. That is something I've noticed at multiple stores. The farmer's market isn't any cheaper around here!

I think my biggest beef with the whole thing is the attitude that we're just not trying hard enough if we don't eat a certain way. We're just making "excuses" when they might actually be logical REASONS.

Word choice is EVERYTHING in a forum. Read the post back to yourself before posting it and think about how it might sound to someone who doesn't know you. Something you don't think is rude could easily be considered rude to someone else, and since we've got no way to include tone, the best we've got is word choice.

For example, instead of "excuses" which sounds negative, use "reasons". :flowerforyou:

Mostly I don't eat anything that is not in season. It is not apple season, so I won't be eating apples anytime soon.

Strawberries are in season now and are cheap to buy, both organic and conventional.............. I am going to an organic farm and picking strawberries this weekend.

I believe in purchasing what is local and in season for sustainability purposes, but also for pricing too.

I have been laid off for the past couple of months and our funds have been severly cut, but we still managed to eat grass fed and free range meats and organic vegetables that are in season.
  • ZachyABaby
    ZachyABaby Posts: 235
    Options
    So I managed 3 donuts, a cinnamon muffin, a breakfast sandwich, treads bar, two diet cokes and a five guys burger.

Again, thanks for the inspiration.
  • Losingitin2011
    Options

Mostly I don't eat anything that is not in season. It is not apple season, so I won't be eating apples anytime soon.

Strawberries are in season now and are cheap to buy, both organic and conventional.............. I am going to an organic farm and picking strawberries this weekend.

I believe in purchasing what is local and in season for sustainability purposes, but also for pricing too.

I have been laid off for the past couple of months and our funds have been severly cut, but we still managed to eat grass fed and free range meats and organic vegetables that are in season.

That's great for you, however we can't afford it and have food throughout the month for BOTH of us.Local farms don't take food stamps, and without any income you take what you can get.

I am proud of the changes I made. I cut out a lot of crap and am cooking more, even though I don't have the desire 99% of the time after dealing with homework all day. I won't feel guilty because I don't eat a certain way that some people think is the only way.
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    So I managed 3 donuts, a cinnamon muffin, a breakfast sandwich, treads bar, two diet cokes and a five guys burger. .

I had a Five Guys Burger with cheese and bacon last Labor Day weekend in Rochester NY. Mmmmmmmm, they are good. It's agood thing we don't have them here in MN. It's bad enough I have to pass a White Castle every day on my way to work. Love the sliders. Where are my baby carrots???????????
  • kdouglas11
    kdouglas11 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    just curious... what's in that big drink you're holding? Looks like alchohol... hmmm I suppose that's healthy for you.

LOL
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Moderation is my friend. You look awfully young. Do you have kids yet? Are you planning on having kids in the future? Are you really going to tell your child you WILL NOT have a piece of their birthday cake because it is poison? Or are you going to be the type of mom who will just deny their whole family birthday cake? Or how about pizza? If you are invited to a childrens birthday party are you going to make a tizzy about the pizza they are serving and refuse it for you and your child? My point is... life is too short to stand on the soap box of healthy eating 100% of the time. And when you have kids... you have to be able to go with with flow, allow some amount of "poison" into their diet, and find a way to make it work with your calorie budget.
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That's a lovely theory.

And those of us who don't own an oven? Or can't afford organic? Or work long hours?
    Sorry, while I didn't take offense, and thought it was a lovely bit o' prose, for some people those aren't viable options.

Splurging for me is going someplace and having someone cook for me. No organic restaurants in my neck of the woods.

So, you do what's good for you, and I'll do what's good for me and the two of us shall live happily ever after.

Affording organic is easy.... Hit up your local farmers market or simply buy what is on sale. Cuts down costs and increases variety as things on sale are different every week.

Or, buy the "dirty dozen" items organic and buy the rest conventional vegetables.

Work Long hours? Well, I am going from 3:45 am - until after 10 pm at night. Sundays are cooking and prep day for me. Cut up and clean fruits and veggies well in advance, put in containers and you have them all week long. Boil your eggs so you can grab and go. Always cook left overs and take them in containers with you.

Bag your nuts so you have them readily available as snacks.

I am sorry, but I find the whole "I work long hours", my kids have practice, all as excuses. If you want a different lifestyle, you find the time to do so accordingly.

I currently work 2 jobs (1 full time, 1 part time), cook breakfast every morning for my husband and I, take care of our dogs (includes training, play time and walks), the house, pay bills, do shopping, workout and study for classes (going full time), make my own cleaning supplies, cook everything from scratch and still have time for me (getting hair, nails, tanning, massage and facials).

It just takes time and dedication.

I agree whole heartedly with the OP.

Wow that just really made me sad to read your daily routine. :( When do you see your kids? When you do play with them? When to do you snuggle them? I would eat nothing but lean cuisines before I would dedicate that much time to food prep and making stuff from scratch, if I was working 2 jobs and going to school full time. You can't get this time back with your kids. When its gone, its gone. Do really think they will look back with fond memories on you making your own cleaning supplies, cooking from scratch, and getting your hair/nails done and tanning? That stuff can wait - your kids can't. Conquer the world in 18 years when they are gone. For now... when you aren't working or in school...open store bought package, buy some Tide/Windex/409 and go play! :D
  • Losingitin2011
    Options
    The same thing applies to a marriage. I would rather spend time with my husband than in the kitchen all the time. I really would.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Those are all good points. Why would anyone ever do anything that could potentially harm your body?? But the answer is easy. Pleasure. Whether it is eating something that you know is bad for you, or participating in an activity that is potentially dangerous, the answer is the same. Pleasure. You simply cannot avoid danger in your life, so sometimes you have to throw caution to the wind and just do something for pure pleasure. Personally, I would never choose McDonald's as a source of pleasure, anymore that I would jump from a plane with a parchute on my back. But I fully understand those that do either because I have my own vices. I intend to keep them and indulge in them "in moderation", because being healthy is very important. But so is being happy. And, for me that includes a balance. I want to live for a very long time, but during that time I realy want to "live" my life.
  • lodro
    lodro Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    just curious... what's in that big drink you're holding? Looks like alchohol... hmmm I suppose that's healthy for you.

LOL

I could go around asking why people in their profile pictures are still fat, or if the skinny person in those photos is really them, but that seems pointless, doesn't it?
  • Losingitin2011
    Options

LOL

I could go around asking why people in their profile pictures are still fat, or if the skinny person in those photos is really them, but that seems pointless, doesn't it?

Wait... you mean you're not grey and kinda cartooney? ZOMG SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!

I am a kitty cat.... *nods* totally....
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options
    I'd also like to point out that, sociologically speaking, our society is set up in a way that leaves people unequal in the ability to obtain healthy foods. Poorer areas, like the inner city or some rural areas, tend to have fewer health food options available, and the people within those areas tend to have fewer resources available to go out and obtain those healthy foods. Those in a situation like that who do make it work are the exception. Most of them, though, just have to pick unhealthy to survive, much like deer and sheep will eat baby chicks when their natural food source is scarce.
  • rosiedoes
    rosiedoes Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am so thankfully happy that I eat similar to the OP and I no longer have to worry about "calorie goals" and planning what I am going to eat..............with the lifestyle I live, I don't have to calorie count which gives an unbelievable amount of freedom with my lifestyle............

Then why are you even on this site, except to insult the people who are working damn hard to improve their situation? You sound like another internet troll, to me.
  • rosiedoes
    Options
    But food is supposed to be just that, fool.

Wow. I hope that's a typo...

If it wasn't a typo, it'd be a classic case of Pot & Kettle.

People who think food should not be something to enjoy are beyond help.
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

AMEN. I figure, since we HAVE to have it, why not enjoy it? You can eat to live, not live to eat, and still enjoy the ride.

P.S.

Also, love the tattoos.
  • rosiedoes
    Options

AMEN. I figure, since we HAVE to have it, why not enjoy it? You can eat to live, not live to eat, and still enjoy the ride.

P.S.

Also, love the tattoos.

Thank you. :)

If we weren't supposed to enjoy food, we wouldn't have tastebuds, would we?
  • unsuspectingfish
    Options

P.S.

Also, love the tattoos.

Thank you. :)

If we weren't supposed to enjoy food, we wouldn't have tastebuds, would we?

EXACTLY.