Magnificant Mama (Closed Group) May 2011

Options

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    So I have a couple of questions for those who are already mamas. 1) Did you wait to get the hepatitis vaccine for your baby or did you get it done at the hospital. Why? 2) Do they make you wait to take baths and be submerged in water (beach, pools, etc.) for a certain period of time after giving birth? I've heard you have to wait 6 weeks, but then I realized that the bathrooms in the post labor rooms at our hospital have huge tubs. They would be pointless if you weren't allowed to take a bath.

good questions! I don't know either!
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Anne might be position was it pain like ur too tight or something in the belly

Brittony they said sitz bath is good to dissolve stitches I have never been told not to but have been in pain for a couple weeks after and getting down into the bathtub can be rather unpleasant. I vaccinaye against many things I do not do flu shots and my friend hardly vaccinates its all a personal choice.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Anne – I have similar issues, and I’m not sure if it’s pregnancy or because it’s been so long.

Brittony – good questions! I never thought about any of those.

Has anyone felt round ligament pain that extends down to the top of your “area”? It’s off and on, and really only hurts when I’m moving around. Today during my walk it was so bad that I had to sit down on the sidewalk for a while.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Brittony -- I'm not already a mama, but to me the Hep B vaccination is really unnecessary for a newborn unless maybe you're planning to have them in daycare very soon or someone who will be caring for the baby is infected with Hep B. Hubby and I are Hep B free so we plan to wait until our baby is older for her to get it, if we decide for her to get it at all. I wasn't vaccinated against Hep B until I was 23. I only decided to do it then because my employer was offering it.

I have no idea about the water thing. I've never heard it before, so I'm definitely interested.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies - sorry to be MIA for a few days but the MS was getting to the stage that I was only comfortable lying down and couldn't even concentrate on the screen. Feeling better today though.

Those that had the shots to numb the area for epi - do you still have the marks from the injection sites? I still have blue dots from when the injections went in even though it's 3.5 years later. Doctor didn't even give me a choice of a natural tear. Just slashed me from (tmi) one hole to the next (literally).

Anne - love your new profile pic. Are you using lube at all? Maybe try positions that aren't going in too deep?

Lynn - I've had my mum staying with us since Thursday. She's staying with us until we can get things sorted at her place (trying to get rid of a psycho brother). Scary about your friend getting a c-s & awesome about your other friend adopting.

Brittony - Miss 3 just got her vaccinations at the assigned times (6 weeks, 4 months, 6 months etc). Baths are ok but the beaches and pools not so since you will be bleeding still and can't use tampons etc.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the vaccine advice. I was just wondering about the hepatitis B specifically because it is one that you can opt out of at the hospital because some parents like to wait until the newborn is older and has more of an immune system. I know I need to do the research on these things and make my own informed decision. I just like to come to you ladies first :happy:

Patricia- So sorry about the MS. I hope you get some relief soon.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    Unfortunately vaccines is one of those subjects where everyone has a difference of opinion. I know Brooklynn is supposed to get quite a few at her 2 month appt, our pediatrician gave us a schedule and we look them up and talk to him about risks.

Anyone with a little girl with pierced ears? I have been waiting until she gets her tetanus shot but some lady I was talking to said that they reccomed that u wait til their ears are more developed. I had never heard that before
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    So I have a couple of questions for those who are already mamas. 1) Did you wait to get the hepatitis vaccine for your baby or did you get it done at the hospital. Why? 2) Do they make you wait to take baths and be submerged in water (beach, pools, etc.) for a certain period of time after giving birth? I've heard you have to wait 6 weeks, but then I realized that the bathrooms in the post labor rooms at our hospital have huge tubs. They would be pointless if you weren't allowed to take a bath.

Had the first hepatitis B shot done at the hospital with all my kids. Then I take them in at two months for the next round of vaccinations. I had a bath at the hospital after my first to help the stitches, so I believe they are okay to take but not for too long probably. But like Sheri said it can be uncomfortable to get into the bath. I never took one with any of my other babies. I personally cannot stand baths anyway.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Unfortunately vaccines is one of those subjects where everyone has a difference of opinion. I know Brooklynn is supposed to get quite a few at her 2 month appt, our pediatrician gave us a schedule and we look them up and talk to him about risks.

Anyone with a little girl with pierced ears? I have been waiting until she gets her tetanus shot but some lady I was talking to said that they reccomed that u wait til their ears are more developed. I had never heard that before

I waited to pierce my girls' ears. They were 8 and 5 when we got them done. I wanted to wait until their lobes were a little bigger and more developed. It is because I didn't want them pierced way low on the lobe. Their lobes are so little right now and there is not a lot of room for them to pierce, and then when they grow who knows where the hole will be. Might sound crazy, but that is my reasoning for waiting.
  • joonzgurl
    joonzgurl Posts: 1,617
    Options

Doctor didn't even give me a choice of a natural tear. Just slashed me from (tmi) one hole to the next (literally).

Oh my gosh that sounds terrible! I cannot believe the dr did not even give you an option or consult you. Hopefully this time around you can specify ahead what you would prefer.
  • brittonymiller
    brittonymiller Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    My Mom had my ears pierced when I was 1 and my earlobes ended up growing more. Now I can't wear smaller hoops or those J-hoop earrings because the holes are too high.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Options
    Mine are the same way and mine got pierced when I was 2, I just told hubby we are going to wait until she asks for them. Thanks ladies:wink:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    Mine are the same way and mine got pierced when I was 2, I just told hubby we are going to wait until she asks for them. Thanks ladies:wink:
    I think that's a great idea. That's what we plan to do with Maisie, too. :smile:
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    I think that's a great idea. That's what we plan to do with Maisie, too. :smile:

It was a very special day for the girls. They got them pierced the same day. I was planning on just letting my 8 year old do it that day but my 6 year old wanted hers done too. It was really exciting for them and if I had to do it all over again I would do it the same way. It was nice waiting until they asked for them.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I never though about vaccines at all, obviously I know they’re given but I didn’t know about refusing them. Kathryn will be going to daycare after my maternity leave so there are some vaccines that are required but I never gave it more thought. Thanks for all the info and opinions.

Pierced ears: we’re going to wait until she’s a little older and can decide if she wants them or not. I had mine pierced when I was a baby and I’ve never had any problem with them, but I don’t see any reason to do it so soon.

Patricia – I hope you feel better soon. The first few months were the worst for me.

It was a lazy weekend for us. We just cleaned and bummed around the house, I’m not looking forward to going back to work tomorrow but such is life.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Sheri - Miss 3 had her ears pierced for new years. Never heard anything about waiting until their ears are better formed - I have certainly never noticed Celine's ears changing over the years. I believe most places (in NZ at least) don't do under 5s unless they have two ear guns on the premises so they can do both ears at once.

Rachael - he was more concerned about Celine than my person choices. They were prepping me for an emergency c-sec when she decided to come naturally. The concern was about her heart beat dropping when they had to break my waters during heavy labour.

AFM - MS still here. Not likely to go anytime soon if past history is anything to go by. Had it all the way through with Celine and likely to continue to with this one.
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    hope everyone had a good day, I did some mopping, more laundry, made carrot cake, pizza crust for tomorrow, and pizza buns. Yum!

I am getting lonely. My husband is still seeding (farming) right now, so the days he works he goes strait to the farm after, and the days he doesn't he is there pretty much all day. This is the end of the second week now, and probably another week to go. Hope it goes fast!

I also finished my website, if you want to see some photos of my baby stuff please visit it :-)

http://ramblingsbyrach.weebly.com/blog.html

We are taking our first birth class next week, I am excited!
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Hey girls! We've had the busiest weekend ever and Annabelle has been such a trooper...not to be biased or anything but she really is the BEST BABY EVER... hahaha :laugh: :wink: :bigsmile: She did so great.

Just a quick reply - Brittony, we got the Hep B shot at the hospital... I didn't do any research on it beforehand (my own fault). My doctor told me not to take any baths for about 2-3 weeks (except for the sitz bath) but I still haven't taken one...not because I don't want to, just because I don't have the time! :laugh:
  • joonzgurl
    Options
    what exactly is a sitz bath?
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    I got my ears pierced when I was 10 on my birthday. I think we are waiting until she asks for them to be done. It is also a nice way to teach about responsibility (cleaning and caring for them).

Patricia- sorry about the MS… I am one that has it all pregnancy so I am HOPING that isn’t the case for you!

Megan- Glad Annabelle is treating you so well!

AFM: Sorry for those of you reading this twice! We have our childbirth class tonight. I am hoping it is helpful and worth the 75 dollars! I think that it will be. Our fridge quit cooling yesterday so we had a mini-disaster (water all over kitchen) we tried 1 million things and it still wasn’t working. We bought a new fridge yesterday… and decided it was time to do the kitchen reno we wanted to do anyways (tile, countertops, hardware)… this morning the fridge was working again! So we are cancelling the new fridge order and still doing the other kitchen stuff :)