Last 10 pounds Club

Options

Replies

• kylakesgal
    kylakesgal Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I've been reading up on plateaus this week so I'll be posting a challenge this weekend for any that would like to participate in for next week. Don't forget to weigh in on Sunday or Monday regardless if you have a loss or not. It's great to keep in touch on our progress. TGIF!!!
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    I change my carbs, fat and protein to 40, 30 and 30 and 90 minute walks for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Friday, I ate my exercise calories. I will report my progress on Monday, before going on vacation!
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Ah vacation sounds nice fit4everyoung:) Where are you going? I'm so ready for my vacation. It's just been so hot this summer I haven't wanted to go anywhere.
  • Cookie22684
    Cookie22684 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    So i decided to have a splurge day today , to see if i can break this plateau , hopefully this time it will work , my scale also needs a new battery , so i will get one tomorrow and weigh in next sunday , hope u guys have a blessed sunday
  • fit4everyoung
    Options
    I will heading on a road trip with 12 yo son to a theme park for several days and heading back on Thursday. I will log food intake by phone only. Hope I maintain since I am trying low carb, today sugar intake was more due to lattes, and other misc. Keep up the good work and let's tackle those extra pounds before the holidays!
  • lipe44
    lipe44 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    not weighing in today. its just about TOM time. awesome. here's hoping i see a big difference next time i get off the scale! keep it up guys! i am so proud of all of you for making it as far as the last 10 pounds! most would have given up by now! im inspired by all of you :)
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I'm back from my vacation! Sounds like you guys tried hard but didn't get the results on the scale. We have to keep in mind the scale doesn't matter as much as we usually think it does. At several points in my life, I have weighed 135. At one point, I wore a size 0 weighing 135 and after having my daughter, I got back down to 135 but wore a size 6! Now I'm at 138 and wear a size 4. I really want to lose these lbs but I keep reminding myself that the scale is not the end all be all, and NSVs are more important than ever in these last 10 lbs.

I blogged about my vacation so you can click on my profile and it should show where I posted on my blog in the news feed. Short version: it was great! I did most of my scheduled workouts and indulged only a little bit on foods.

I forgot to weigh in first thing this morning. I ate breakfast then worked out then weighed in before my shower at 138.5 so it looks like I didn't gain too much, maybe .5 lb! I think that's pretty good considering the unlimited delicious foods I was surrounded by all week and the comfy bed I could have slept in a few hrs more instead of working out!

I have a 1 mi open water swim on Saturday and a Sprint Tri on Sunday that I'm pretty excited about. Rode the roadbike this am and got up to speeds I've never reached before, another NSV! This sprint tri is different distances than my last one so I can't directly compare times for improvement but it is one tough course and I'll be glad to finish strong again! On Saturday is the Olympic and Half Ironman Regional Championship Race for this region, so after my swim, I'll be able to watch some awesome athletes! I'm excited!
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Welcome back home Bstamps:) Sounds like you had an awesome time!!!

Weighing in for today.....I'm down .4 from 144.2 to 143.8. Not much but it is something!! Inch by inch it's a cinch but yard by yard it seems hard lol.

Have company here now but will try and post a new challenge for the weekend tomorrow:) Hope all you gals have had a great weekend:)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Hi all-

I did a search on the message boards for "last 10 pounds" as I am in need of support/motivation and I found this thread! I have lost 24 pounds and have 6 pounds to go and it is a fight to lost every single pound at this point. I had a good long plateau for a while but finally entered last 10 pounds territory in the beginning of June. Since then I have lost 4-5 pounds. To break out of my plateau I upped my calories to set MFP at a 0.5 lb/week loss, so I don't expect to lose quickly. I am impatient though, so sometimes I get frustrated with the sloooooow progress!
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    lol i wish...
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I'm 4.5kg away, and I think that's about 10 lbs in old money.

I've taken a much longer term view on my weight loss, so no particular hurry to get that last 10lbs off :) But when I do, I think I'll set another goal about 5kg lower.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    Welcome to all of our new members!

Weighed in this morning at 138.5 but its TOM :explode: so I'm still not sure if I gained that .5 lb from vacation or what my true weight really is right now since it's always different w/ TOM.

I'm so sore from 2 straight weeks of stamina workouts. I now enter into 4 days of rest before my open water swim & sprint tri. :bigsmile: I'm hoping to do pretty well in both events because I definitely feel I have put the work in! I had to get a wart burned off my foot today (I know, gross) and found out my dermatologist is doing the Olympic distance of the tri I'm doing next weekend...kind of worried about any painful side effects messing with my run but she said it would be fine. Hope she's right!
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Yes welcome to our new members. It's great to have you and share ideas that are working for you. I was unable to find that thread that I was reading the other day....don't guess I bumped it. It had some really good ideas for people that were within a few lbs of reaching their goals. Anyway, here are some helpful hints that I found if you want to try them out.

Of course, we know the slimmer we are, the fewer calories we burn and for every pound you lose, your metabolism slows up to 20 calories per day so here a few ideas to help you burn more calories.

1. Try doing 10 sets of 4 mins of intense bursts (such as jumping jacks or anything else to get your heart rate up quick) followed by 2 mins of easier exercise. You can mix in weights on the easier parts.

2. Eat less meats

3. Eat an apple a day

4. Use a smaller plate and watch portion sizes. Make sure you are accurately measuring your portions.

5. Try standing an extra hour a day.

6. Walk as much as possible.

7. Be a weekend warrior. This is when most people splurge or slack up on exercise. Be persistant, it will pay off.

8. Burn 30% more calories by doing strength training along with cardio.

Hope these help. Have a great kick butt week everyone:)
  • littlemili
    littlemili Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    for every pound you lose, your metabolism slows up to 20 calories per day
    I did not know this. So after losing 10lbs, effectively you have to cut 200 calories a day, or exercise them off, to keep your metabolism running? Jeeeeez what a pain in the bum.
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Milileitner...you don't want to cut 200 calories a day at all. Your metabolism just slows down that much therefore, we are not burning as many calories working out as we were before. It gets really tricky when you don't have that much to lose. It takes more to get our heart rate up now as our body is healthier and it seems to fight us each step of the way. We just have to be more active now and by standing an extra hour a day, that will help some. Just wondering, what do you all have your settings set as a weekly goal to lose? Mine is set to lose 1/2 lb a week. I was told by a personal trainer that with 10 lbs or less to lose, we shouldn't set it any higher but not sure. I've lost 25 lbs so figure I've lost 20 calories a day x 25= that's 500 calories a day my metabolism has been cut. No wonder it is harder lol. We just have to be more inventive and keep moving more. I know at work and I have a desk job, I stand up as much as I can. I figure every little bit helps.
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Got back last night after 2 trips. One local for a wedding and one out to California for an almost week-long family reunion (There were 65 of us now with my parents, siblings, spouses, children and grandchildren!) I would like to think I did not go overboard :tongue: Weighing in next Monday to see how this vacation really went. Was a great time. My exercise was not as strenuous as planned since Hubby bought a bike there and we biked each day. It was kind of hard to get my HR up at the pace we went. Was fun to do something together!

How great to see new folks on this Board. Welcome all!

:flowerforyou: Is it possible kylakesgirl, that the link you were looking for is:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/211420-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
    I have spent a lot of time here and learned SO much. (This is part 2 - Part 1 is great too!)
    It really does make you look at this process a whole new way!

So best wishes to all this week. Hope we have a good one!
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Glad to have you back hoosiermomma.....sounds like you had a great trip:) I wish I could get my hubby to exercise with me but that's just not happening right now. He works outside all day and when he comes home, he's done lol.

Yes I do believe that is the link. It is an awesome read. Thanks so much for sharing:):)
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    I found this great blog entry to reaffirm much of what I am learning about losing those last pounds. It's a quick read...
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/jennieodwyer/view/cardio-v-resistance-training-my-experience-
  • kylakesgal
    Options
    Thanks hoosiermama,, that is a great blog. Decrease cardio is not something I have even thought about doing. Thanks for posting that:)
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the great information and links! That blog post was great. I am so glad I found this group for support. I feel like the first 20 pounds I dropped fairly easily and I have to rethink my whole strategy for the last 10.

I have been focusing less on calories, though I am of course staying within my 0.5 pound/week loss goal, and trying to focus more on strengthening. Up until a few weeks ago I was only doing cardio. I have since added a Pilates mat class once a week and I do it a few times a week at home to help strengthen my core. I am hoping this will help me firm up a bit since I am almost at my goal but still a little soft around the middle.