Couch to 5k...start today?

Options

Replies

• cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I actually printed the program this weekend and am going to do it on my treadmill! Wish they had an app for the blackberry! Best of luck to all!

They do have a free app for the blackberry, i downloaded it a few weeks back. It's just not the exact same as the one that was mentioned but it has the running program and a voice telling you when to switch from walking to jogging. Just search running in Blackberry apps and you should find it!
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I could easily do the spreadsheet. I am indeed friends with Excel and as a teacher with her summer off, I could use a little something to do! How does operating the spreadsheet generally work? Are individual results, weekly results, spreadsheets posted on here? E-mailed?
  • cobylea
    Options
    I've seen spreadsheets posted right on the thread. How's it done though I'm not quite sure lol
  • hanna1210
    hanna1210 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I was actually planning on starting tomorrow, so this works well for me. I have the C25K Lite app on my phone, but I think I'll be getting the pro soon.

I'm kind of new to this, too, so I'm hoping my Sunday weigh-ins work.

Good luck to everyone!
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about starting this program too. Need to change up some of the workouts that I am doing. Thanks for the information!:glasses:
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I just did my day one, without having to stop! So excited since the doctors told me I wouldn't be able to run anymore when I was 13! TAKE THAT DOCTORS! HA!
  • dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    I think in order to post it on the boards it would have to be print screened and posted as an image. Id be willing to help out if need be! (:
  • CaptainGordo
    CaptainGordo Posts: 4,437 Member
    Options
    What I have learned from the C25K (Couch to 5K) program so far...

1) Do not let your weight keep you from running! I'm a big boy -- 260 lbs, and I finished my first 5K race (39:39) a week ago, and am running my 2nd in a week (aiming for 36 min). C25K has been wonderful. It allows you to ease into running, and you can always do it at your own pace.

2) Schedule a race right now. Find one that's 9 weeks out. Even if you aren't done with the program by then, run/walk it anyway. My first race was so much fun. Running with other people was a great motivator.

3) Do not run on consecutive days. As good as you might feel, as confident as you may become, let your legs rest. Not resting can lead to fatigue, injury and decreased performance. Trust me.

4) Take it at your own pace. Don't worry about speed -- just build up your endurance. Speed will come later. If you aren't ready for the next week's run, repeat the current week. No big deal. At the same time, though...

5) Don't psyche yourself out when the big runs come. You can do it! I stopped looking at the schedule and just downloaded the podcasts. I wouldn't know what was coming each day until I turned it on and the gal told me. Loved it that way.

6) I loved the NHS Choices podcasts (http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Pages/couch-5K-running-plan.aspx) on my mp3 player. The gal has a great British accent -- and that would be sufficient for me to enjoy listening -- but she also provides tips and encouragement, along with the walk/run cues.

7) Run outside. Even in the rain. It's so much better than running on a treadmill. Enjoy the sounds and sights.

I never would have considered myself a runner, but I do now (slow as I may be). It's been fantastic, and a huge confidence boost.
  • TS65
    TS65 Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Quick question: How do you log the first week in this program? Since you are walking for well over half the time, do you log it by total minutes walked and total minutes jogged? What do you guys do?

Most people log minutes walked and minutes run separately. Feel free to check out my exercise diary for an example.
  • kbrob14
    kbrob14 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thank you!!
    I'm in! I actually printed the program this weekend and am going to do it on my treadmill! Wish they had an app for the blackberry! Best of luck to all!

They do have a free app for the blackberry, i downloaded it a few weeks back. It's just not the exact same as the one that was mentioned but it has the running program and a voice telling you when to switch from walking to jogging. Just search running in Blackberry apps and you should find it!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I am doing a 5K on July 30th, and that's about 9 weeks from now!

So yeah, since I am out of practice from a lazy winter and no longer think I can run 3 miles straight :frown: , I am in to get back to where I was. I am HOPING that I can end up skipping ahead since I was once able to run 45 minutes without walking....maybe I'll get back to that quicker than in 9 weeks....

Starting first day today, like right now....

thanks for the kick in the butt!
  • aash28
    Options
    Yikes! Not sure how to screen print or even what that is. I'd love the help! I was also thinking (could be a horrific idea); would EVERYONE be opposed to e-mailing me the information (You wouldn't even have to use your most-often-used-e-mail-address. AOL, Yahoo, Gmail, etc. offer free services that would allow us to each make an account that would only be to e-mail me the results and receive the spreadsheet.)? I was thinking that would be an easy way; but again, I'm new to this and if the screen print is the easiest/most convenient and wanted way, I'm completely on board!

The spreadsheet could contain information such as:

Name (you could use your username on here or make up a different one so that you keep your anonymity)
    How many pounds did you lost this week
    How many days did you do c25k this week
    (and insert any other data that we think would be useful here)

And I know people like to do weigh-ins on different days, so maybe if I had the results by Sunday, I'd have the sheet e-mailed by Tuesday.

Please, please, please feel free to add your input to make this as great and as successful as possible!
  • slbeutler
    slbeutler Posts: 205
    Options
    I am starting today as well. I have the version I downloaded a while ago. It is a podcast, so it works on any mp3 player. I use my ipod. It has music and the voice prompts.
  • dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    I wouldn't be opposed to having it emailed personally! Might cut down on confusion.. though print screening is super simple, it just sounds complicated, Haha.
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I started today. Never jogged before except to cross the street. And I'm a smoker.

Burned 311 calories in 32 minutes and went 2.1 miles.
    I got the C25K Pro Android app for $1.99. Pandora does run successfully at the same time. I was also running CardioTrainer to track my distance and speed.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Did my day 1!

Had some guilt free Lindt Chocolate afterwards!:wink:
  • horseryder77
    horseryder77 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Can I join in on this? I just started on Saturday, and completed day 2 today. It was pretty awesome :)
  • aash28
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes...please join! I think a good goal would be for all of us to have the 1st week of c25k finished before Sunday. Also, have your weight loss for the week also recorded by then (I like to record my weight loss Friday-Friday, but we'll just figure out an organized routine for our week 2). Does that work for everyone?
  • cobylea
    Options
    Yes, yes, and yes...please join! I think a good goal would be for all of us to have the 1st week of c25k finished before Sunday. Also, have your weight loss for the week also recorded by then (I like to record my weight loss Friday-Friday, but we'll just figure out an organized routine for our week 2). Does that work for everyone?

works for me! So you want our weight by which day? Sunday? We should all have a starting weight shouldn't we? That way we can compare our weight loss right from the beginning of the C25K. But it's just a suggestion! I finished my week 1 day 1 tonight and feel great! Even after the crappy eating day. Now I'm back on track!
  • jbrod19
    jbrod19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i'm starting tomorrow can i join this?? :)