Couch to 5k...start today?

Options

Replies

• smitchell37
    smitchell37 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the c25k for android. I printed the paper off about a month ago but havnt started it yet. I have been trying to talk myself into it for so long. I will be doing it on the treadmill bc I only get to work out at the gym. But I am one of those ppl that thinks ppl are watching me at the gym and fell stupid. I will give it a try.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    It would be well worth your time to invest in an HRM to log your runs. I tried logging it by putting in the total number of minutes walking and total number of minutes running, but you'll burn more than that because your heart rate stays up longer than what that entry will give you. I got the Polar Ft4 for about $70 and it's been the best inspiration on the C25K journey.

And, I bought a $5 stop watch at Academy. I've used it to time my running/walking periods. Before long, I won't need it because I'm getting to the point of running distances/longer time frames. It was EXTREMELY handy when I was doing the multiple intervals!

GOOD LUCK!

Does that HRM come with a chest strap as well? I'm looking for a HRM to purchase as well, I want it to have a chest strap so it's more accurate but also can't spend a lot of money.
  • dontstopnow
    dontstopnow Posts: 152
    Options
    It would be well worth your time to invest in an HRM to log your runs. I tried logging it by putting in the total number of minutes walking and total number of minutes running, but you'll burn more than that because your heart rate stays up longer than what that entry will give you. I got the Polar Ft4 for about $70 and it's been the best inspiration on the C25K journey.

And, I bought a $5 stop watch at Academy. I've used it to time my running/walking periods. Before long, I won't need it because I'm getting to the point of running distances/longer time frames. It was EXTREMELY handy when I was doing the multiple intervals!

GOOD LUCK!

Does that HRM come with a chest strap as well? I'm looking for a HRM to purchase as well, I want it to have a chest strap so it's more accurate but also can't spend a lot of money.

i got my hrm from target for about $70 bucks. it came with a chest strap and it's not big or bulky like most of them are. it's a n4 new balance pearl!
  • smcguirt
    smcguirt Posts: 11
    Options
    Just signed up for myfitnesspal today and I had already planned on starting the C25K today as well!! Looks like I picked the right time to jump in! I started my diet journey on June 23rd 2010 weighing 349 lbs! I KNOW, EMBARRASSING! But luckily I can say that I am now at 267! My goal is 190! I have not done much exercising and no running at all! I have the podcasts for C25K so hopefully that will help me! Hope everyone has success I will be checking in later with my progress update!
  • smitchell37
    Options
    Check this out I thought it was interesting. sorry if someone already posted it.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/fitness_plan_generator_details.asp?id=232

And they said dont stretch b4 running. Stretch after when your joints are still warm
  • forgiven4life
    forgiven4life Posts: 451
    Options
    I'm a day behind but would like to join. I actually did a modified version of this with a church group and wasn't able to complete the entire program. I would like to commit to doing the entire thing.
  • MagsRad
    MagsRad Posts: 26
    Options
    I am also a day behind but would like to give it a try....not sure how this will work for me since I have severe osteoarthritis in both of my knees. But I would love to try to make it work.
  • Sarabeth5
    Sarabeth5 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm in! Just downloaded the app. Super pumped about it!
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I'm a day behind but would like to join. I actually did a modified version of this with a church group and wasn't able to complete the entire program. I would like to commit to doing the entire thing.

You should be fine since there are plenty of days to still do the 3 workouts :D
  • dontstopnow
    Options
    welcome welcome welcome to all the new people commenting today! i'm really excited for this support group (: who knew there was so many of us starting at the same time? it's awesome! feel free to add me if you'd like, the more mfp friends (especially ones to keep me motivated with c25k!) the merrier!
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I just started Monday as well. 5/23/2011
  • Mtsidad
    Mtsidad Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh, and treadmill for me. Don't like the cold, grey weather we have 10 months of the year. Nice comfy garage and DVD and treadmill. Maybe in July when it heats up to 60 or so outside.
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to throw this out there but it might be a good idea to take some before pictures so that you can compare not only your numbers but also visual differences after we finish C25K. I'm going to take mine before I go to the gym today!
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    Just done the first run! Ah hate running where people can see lol! Wish I had space for a TM in front of a gd DVD!!
    On plus side, I bring the pup along and it wears her out good n proper too which is fab!!
    I downloaded the app for BB so using that for guidance, and doing 30DS on the days when Im not meant to be doing C25K.
    Good idea about piccies, off to get camera...
  • forgiven4life
    forgiven4life Posts: 451
    Options
    If anyone is interested, I will list a website/blog where I got my music and cues for C25K. It's new type music with cues that come on when you are supposed to run/walk. And it's free. You just have to wait a few seconds between each download.

ithinspire.blogspot.com/2010/05/c25k-week-2-music.html

This is just to one week. I am sure you can find the entire 9 weeks there.
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    *UPDATE* I had to switch the team's e-mail address from c25kteam@YAHOO.com to

c25kteam@gmail.com

Apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to actually send the messages rather than having them saved as tabs (on yahoo). Hey, but after teaching all day, who does have a brain?

I'm keeping the yahoo account so if anyone sends an e-mail there, I'll see it and then reply from the gmail account.

I'm so happy about the number of people that we have (10 official members so far that have e-mailed me their username and starting weight); the more the merrier (regardless of when you start). Keep running!!!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    I was planning on starting this today. Sadly, I will be doing it the old fashioned way - no app or anything. I'm still trying to figure out the most efficient way to do it with an old school stop watch.

That's how I did it. I just ran/walked for 2-3 minute intervals until I had run for 15 mins total Then I started stringing that together until I was running for 15 mins straight. I built from there...several races later (including 10 milers and half marathons), I'm still going.

Good luck everyone. May you find running as addicting as I have!! And one quick tip...pick a target race and enter it NOW to keep you on track. It will give you a bit of motivation too.
  • dontstopnow
    Options
    If anyone is interested, I will list a website/blog where I got my music and cues for C25K. It's new type music with cues that come on when you are supposed to run/walk. And it's free. You just have to wait a few seconds between each download.

ithinspire.blogspot.com/2010/05/c25k-week-2-music.html

This is just to one week. I am sure you can find the entire 9 weeks there.

wow thanks for sharing! i think i'm gonna be sticking to this one, i really like it!
  • smitchell37
    Options
    w1d1 complete!!!! and I didnt die. I love the app!!!
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    I am still in, and going to do the whole program, but I don't see the need to send any weights or take any pics or anything like that.
    My weight and pics won't change at all, just my fitness level. I am not trying to lose weight, I am trying to increase distance/time/stamina, and build muscle (heavy weight training on non-run days) so I may actually gain a pound or two...

But I am here to report progress and to cheer on those of you who ARE still trying to lose weight! :happy: