Couch to 5k...start today?

Options

Replies

• Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I started W1D1 yesterday and I am ready for more. I will do Day 2 today and Day 3 Thursday or Saturday. I know they're spaced pretty close but I have every appointment imaginable this week (eye exam, dentist, haircut, etc) so I am trying to make sure to plan it in!

I have to have mine set up to where I don't have a day between D2 and D3 because of college but I'm doing it on Thursday and Friday so I'll have the weekend to recuperate since I don't work or anything. (hoping this doesn't kill me lol)
  • aash28
    aash28 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I plan on e-mailing the spreadsheet once it's done each week (hopefully I'll have everyone's results by Sunday night and I can have it done and e-mailed on Monday) to every person that's on it (6 of us so far- awesome!). Kait will also post the spreadsheet on here- I think that will be a great motivator for anyone who didn't sign up because we WILL have results.

If you haven't signed up yet, e-mail me at c25kteam@yahoo.com. Come on, we know you can do it! : )
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Done and Done. I'll do my best to get stuff emailed, I can't guarantee anything though. I have a memory like swiss cheese right now (week 9 of my last term of college)
  • aash28
    Options
    Well, you'll be getting an e-mail from me weekly with the updated the results; and we've all agreed to help motivate each other (especially if the 6 of us- and counting- see that there's a blank space where your updates should be). We can and WILL do this!!!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I know; I couldn't find an organized group that was just starting...so I started my own! I'm not sure if the couch to 5k app that I'm using (the green and blue one) has music already, but you can add the music from your ipod (I have the ipod touch 4G) within the program (so convenient). For anyone who can't get the app, here's the workout for the first week:

5 min. warm-up
    60 sec. jog then 90 sec. walk (repeat for a total of 20 min.)
    5 min. cool-down

Do this workout 3 times this week (ideally on non-consecutive days)

I'd like to weigh in with weight loss on Fridays (trying to be optimistic but should a slip-up occur- for me- it's generally during the weekend). I'm new to organizing, and even posting, so if anyone has suggestions for the formalities of adding weigh-ins, please share!

Good luck everyone...I think this should be fun! : )

I log in on Mondays so I know I will behave over the weekend....Accountability !!!
    I know once the muscle starts building the weight wont change much. But I have never been a runner. Always wanted to but couldn't build up the endurance. Can't wait to start this.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    Welcom to the world of 5K
    Please also join us at our 5K Club - all training plans, and fitness levels welcome!
    :-)
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/247915-5k-club-questions-training-plans-etc

:laugh:
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Well, you'll be getting an e-mail from me weekly with the updated the results; and we've all agreed to help motivate each other (especially if the 6 of us- and counting- see that there's a blank space where your updates should be). We can and WILL do this!!!

My running days (so far) are Monday/Wednesday/Friday and I'll probably email you on Saturday if that works? I am trying to balance this with finishing up the term, and I have class on Tuesday/Thursday, and 3 online classes. :sad:
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    Options

Info emailed!!! Good luck to all!! :)
  • kmp327
    kmp327 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I love that app and have it on my iPod. I've sort of been off and on with the program, never making it past week four or five. I would love to have some friends that are doing the same that I can check in with. I think I'm going to start next week. This week I already have a lot of new things happening.
  • Ahzuri
    Options

My running days (so far) are Monday/Wednesday/Friday and I'll probably email you on Saturday if that works? I am trying to balance this with finishing up the term, and I have class on Tuesday/Thursday, and 3 online classes. :sad:

I feel your pain I'm in school on Monday/Wed and one online class and I am so ready for it to be over! Last quarter it was 2 campus 2 online and I about went crazy
  • craftylatvian
    craftylatvian Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I was on Week 1 and will have to repeat it. I missed some days because of knee pain and getting bad shin splints. I feel bad if I can't do it every other day.
  • aash28
    Options
    Yes, feel free to e-mail me whenever you want with your weekly update (I just established Sunday as the deadline so that I can send the spreadsheet on Monday- to keep us all motivated). We have 8 people so far!
  • busymomyof3
    busymomyof3 Posts: 31
    Options
    !
    [/quote]
    I downloaded free podicast from www.c25k.com. Than downloaded them on my phone(Blackberry curve).
    [/quote]
    i wonder if that will work on a gigabeat .worth looking into. i really hated looking at my phone's stop watch today :(
  • applebottomjeans11
    applebottomjeans11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday as well and I LOVE it so far
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Quick question: How do you log the first week in this program? Since you are walking for well over half the time, do you log it by total minutes walked and total minutes jogged? What do you guys do?

Thats a good question I have no clue to the answer though! I'm also doing this threw timer watching only its going to be on the treadmill at the gym.
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    OK, thinking this may be the way for me to loose weight now.
    Tried other cardio things but not succesful.

Always fancied jogging but very self conscious and dont wanna be SEEN jogging. Do you guys jog outside or on Treadmills??
  • Ahzuri
    Options
    OK, thinking this may be the way for me to loose weight now.
    Tried other cardio things but not succesful.

Always fancied jogging but very self conscious and dont wanna be SEEN jogging. Do you guys jog outside or on Treadmills??

Treadmill at the gym for me, only time I get to exercise is when we go to the gym because they have childcare there :)
  • aash28
    Options
    I plan on using the treadmill because I'm afraid that if I go outside, I won't keep up any sort of steady pace. Plus, I personally like to watch the timer because I can countdown the time. Also, I feel really accomplished when I can accurately (as much as possible) see how much I've burned and how much I've traveled. But, this is just what works for me. Here's a thought that helps me when I'm feeling too self-conscious (because we ALL have our own insecurities): How much am I thinking about those people that I saw at the gym after I left the gym? NOT AT ALL. So if I'm not thinking about them, they're probably not thinking about me either.

"You’ll worry less about what people think about you when you realize how seldom they do." -David Foster Wallace
    481471 Posts: 95
    Options
    Yeh, the timers gonna be the issue for me, but miles from a gym and no space for a TM at home lol! D'oh! Guess its gonna be a matter of braving it on the outside world...!
  • CoachsWife4
    CoachsWife4 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It would be well worth your time to invest in an HRM to log your runs. I tried logging it by putting in the total number of minutes walking and total number of minutes running, but you'll burn more than that because your heart rate stays up longer than what that entry will give you. I got the Polar Ft4 for about $70 and it's been the best inspiration on the C25K journey.

And, I bought a $5 stop watch at Academy. I've used it to time my running/walking periods. Before long, I won't need it because I'm getting to the point of running distances/longer time frames. It was EXTREMELY handy when I was doing the multiple intervals!

GOOD LUCK!