Half Marathon Club (and training)

Options

Replies

• jmijaressf
    jmijaressf Posts: 215
    Options
    I have a half marathon trail run next Sunday, June 5th. My last long run was an 11.2 miler last weekend with all of my water bottles full so that I could get used to the weight.

I tapered my weekly mileage from 22 miles down to 15 last week.

This week I'll only do 8 - 10 miles at the most just to keep my legs fresh.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Hey Everyone!!!

I've been running just a year and have done 2 5k's (another this weekend) and my first 10k was about a month ago. I'm no speed demon, but I'm learning that even former couch potatoes can run! I'm planning my first HM on Sept 24 and will start my training next week after the 5k is done. I use the Runner's World Smartcoach app for my iPhone, which sets you up with a great training plan based on your current level and speed and stuff. You can do up to 16 weeks, which is why I start next week.. gives me 16 weeks to train from where I'm at (longest training run so far was 9 miles, but did 7 this yesterday) to finishing my first HM!!!!

I'm excited to finally consider myself a runner. Never thought that would happen, especially at my age!!! (I'm 39!) So if I can do it, anyone can!!! I only run on Tues/Thurs/Sat and cross train at least on Sunday and sometimes Weds and Fri. Would love to commit to all the cross training days, but I have two teenagers to raise, a full time job and a hubby who is an OTR truck driver!!!! Yes, I'm nuts. I'm good with that!!!!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I finished three halfs so far this year ... and at this point I have at least 3 more scheduled.
    My current race that I am training for is the Chicago Rock and Roll Half in August ...
    I am a sloooow runner, but this current training plan is heavy on the hill work ... so I am hoping this will improve my speed.

:)
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Great to see a post up here. I walked 2 half marathons in May (500 Festival Mini Marathon and Geist Half both in Indianapolis) and have started training to run one in September!
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I registered for my first half marathon last night!! It's in October, I'm 1/2 excited and 1/2 wondering what the heck I was thinking!! (I've never even ran in an organized event before) I have a 10k coming up July 4th but so far that's about as far as I've ever ran at one time! But I have over 4 months to build from 6 miles to 13.. 4 very HOT months!

As I'm gradually increasing my distance at what point do you guys think I'll need to start worrying about carrying water with me??
    any advice on options... carry a water bottle? get one of those funny looking belts or back pack things?

Congrats on registering for your first half! Personally I do not like to carry water and plan my routes around known water sources. However, I think it depends on the weather as well as distance. If it is the middle of summer and super hot outside, I need water by mile 4. In cooler weather, I can go 7 miles or so without water. When I do carry water, I have a handheld water bottle. The belts don't feel comfotable to me.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'll be running my first half marathon in September (Air Force Half Marathon). I've ran an 8K and a 5K so far this year and will start my training for the 1/2 on Sunday. I currently run 20-25 miles a week, usually running 3-5.5 miles at a time. I'm excited to up the tempo on my training.
  • ProjectSara
    ProjectSara Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I ran my first half last October (slowly...about 169 minutes). My second is a week from Sunday, and this time I've barely been training! I've been running mostly ~5 miles/week for the past few months, with some longer runs in the last few weeks. I got up to 9, but with few hills. I'm a little nervous, but I feel like I can pull through. Not shooting for the stars on time though. Wish me luck!
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    I registered for my first half marathon last night!! It's in October, I'm 1/2 excited and 1/2 wondering what the heck I was thinking!! (I've never even ran in an organized event before) I have a 10k coming up July 4th but so far that's about as far as I've ever ran at one time! But I have over 4 months to build from 6 miles to 13.. 4 very HOT months!

As I'm gradually increasing my distance at what point do you guys think I'll need to start worrying about carrying water with me??
    any advice on options... carry a water bottle? get one of those funny looking belts or back pack things?

Given that you are going to be training in the summer I would advise buying a belt and getting used to it starting on shorter runs so that its not a new thing when you go on longer distances. As far as to when you need it, every person is different. Alot of the determination as to whether you will need water will determine on whether you are a sweater or not a sweater. But when you start with the longer distances you will also want to have some carbs to refuel with as well....
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    BUMP

in case I get brave and start training for a half marathon...just did my first 10k last week at a snail's pace, doing a 5k this weekend and next weekend for charity events...will see how much I can run and how much I have to walk... have 2 HM events in mind but kinda scared to commit to them...
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    BUMP

in case I get brave and start training for a half marathon...just did my first 10k last week at a snail's pace, doing a 5k this weekend and next weekend for charity events...will see how much I can run and how much I have to walk... have 2 HM events in mind but kinda scared to commit to them...

Ummm what do you mean IF .... you ARE comitting to the half marathon girl... you are amazing and you can 100% do it. In fact... I think you should sign up this weekend... make it official! :)
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    BUMP

I'll second that! Remember, nobody but you is concerned about your speed and there are large groups of walkers in every race! as long as you're out there, you're doing awesome things!!!
  • Nikstergirl
    Options
    Alright..... I had a 5k this morning and it went SO great! Totally beat my PB and I'm thrilled with how I feel! I'll be signing up soon for my first HM, it will be Sept 24 and I'll start the training on my next run which will be Tuesday. Got the plan mapped out by my Smartcoach... I'm all set!

Wish me luck!!!!
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Alright..... I had a 5k this morning and it went SO great! Totally beat my PB and I'm thrilled with how I feel! I'll be signing up soon for my first HM, it will be Sept 24 and I'll start the training on my next run which will be Tuesday. Got the plan mapped out by my Smartcoach... I'm all set!

Wish me luck!!!!

Luck!
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    Hi, I just did my first 2 weeks ago and am in recovery mode. Did 5 today and it was the first time I actually felt almost a normal rhythm running... will be trying to bring mileage back up over the next month then start a routine before my next half in October. I will also do a 5k in 2 weeks. My husband thinks I can break 30min, I don't think I can, but all the race calculators agree with him- so we'll see. Would love to share ideas with others.
    Karina
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Love this thread.

I started C25K in Aug, ran first 5k in Oct, and ran my first 10k two weeks and another one week ago (The Bolder Boulder which had 50,000 runners and is only a 10k).

My co-worker talked me into signing up for the Denver Rock n Roll which is in October so did.

I wanted to do at least one half to say "I did it".

Today, I ran seven miles which is my longest to date. This is amazing for a non-runner in her life ever girl at the age of 42!

I googled a ton of plans and they are sort of similar. I am using my own which also gives me breathing room in case I miss a week somehow.

I am going to do my long runs on either Sat or Sun and increase it by .5 mile each week.

I do have another 10k on the 11th of this month so won't be increasing this week.

I figured out the hard way today that if I am running more than six, I need to bring fuel and water. The last mile took all my energy.

Good luck to all and I am looking forward to watching everyone's progress.
  • emmaleigh47
    Options
    Love this thread.

I started C25K in Aug, ran first 5k in Oct, and ran my first 10k two weeks and another one week ago (The Bolder Boulder which had 50,000 runners and is only a 10k).

My co-worker talked me into signing up for the Denver Rock n Roll which is in October so did.

I wanted to do at least one half to say "I did it".

Today, I ran seven miles which is my longest to date. This is amazing for a non-runner in her life ever girl at the age of 42!

I googled a ton of plans and they are sort of similar. I am using my own which also gives me breathing room in case I miss a week somehow.

I am going to do my long runs on either Sat or Sun and increase it by .5 mile each week.

I do have another 10k on the 11th of this month so won't be increasing this week.

I figured out the hard way today that if I am running more than six, I need to bring fuel and water. The last mile took all my energy.

Good luck to all and I am looking forward to watching everyone's progress.

Fabulous job! And overall your plan seems good, but you might want to consider revamping it.
    You might want to go up for 3 weeks and then have a week that is lower mileage. Alot of the really good programs recommend it... and when I trained for my first couple halfs I did it that way and it allowed me to make it to race day prepared and not injured.

It would like this ... (long run)

6 miles
    7 miles
    8 miles
    6 miles
    9 miles
    10 miles
    11 miles
    6 miles

etc ... also for my first half marathon I did a 14 mile run 2-3 weeks prior to the race. Gave me tremendous confidence knowing that I could cover the distance and then some!
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options
    Two half marathons down. I have two in Sept. (Harrisburg, PA and Philly) and one in October (Hershey, PA). Pretty much training runs leading up to the first Marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. October 30.

I'm taking a few weeks break for now, giving my legs a rest after a pretty intense spring. However, I might do some water running. If you haven't tried it and have access to a pool, it's definitely worth it.
  • Nikstergirl
    Options
    Hi, I just did my first 2 weeks ago and am in recovery mode. Did 5 today and it was the first time I actually felt almost a normal rhythm running... will be trying to bring mileage back up over the next month then start a routine before my next half in October. I will also do a 5k in 2 weeks. My husband thinks I can break 30min, I don't think I can, but all the race calculators agree with him- so we'll see. Would love to share ideas with others.
    Karina

You can do it!!! I was shooting for 30 minutes yesterday and came in at 29:35!!! Such a rush to beat the time you're aiming for. Do some sprints between now and then... they really help!
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Two half marathons down. I have two in Sept. (Harrisburg, PA and Philly) and one in October (Hershey, PA). Pretty much training runs leading up to the first Marathon, the Marine Corps Marathon in D.C. October 30.

I'm taking a few weeks break for now, giving my legs a rest after a pretty intense spring. However, I might do some water running. If you haven't tried it and have access to a pool, it's definitely worth it.

Im runnin the one in harrisburg on Sept. 11th as well:0) The Hershey Half looks fabulous but im doing the Tussey Mountainback 50 mile relay with friends the following weekend and I think my body will need a little rest.....but wish I were doing it cause it looks fun.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    First half marathon on the 2nd July, water stations are floating though as its along a canal so have been training with water bottle in hand. I'm feeling I may be under prepared though, max distance is 10 miles so far, is it realistic to have completed a 14mile 2 weeks before the day?

PS love this topic