Half Marathon Club (and training)

Options

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The plan that's the backbone of my Frankenplan (Jeff Galloway's Train for Time Improvement for the Disney Wine and Dine) takes me to 17 (that one will be my 5th HM and second in a month). I'm using his "To Finish Plan for those running 6 months or more who have finished the Disney Wine and Dine" plan for the Disney Full in January, and that takes me to 26 so I'm only on a wing and a prayer for .2 miles. LOL.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    The plan that's the backbone of my Frankenplan (Jeff Galloway's Train for Time Improvement for the Disney Wine and Dine) takes me to 17 (that one will be my 5th HM and second in a month). I'm using his "To Finish Plan for those running 6 months or more who have finished the Disney Wine and Dine" plan for the Disney Full in January, and that takes me to 26 so I'm only on a wing and a prayer for .2 miles. LOL.

Careful with that 26 mile training run. I find 21-22 to be the proper distance for my longest runs. Any longer than that, I find it can deter my training (too hard to recover, thus messing up my training).
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @arc918:
    The time improvement from your OC half to Fontana half is awesome! Nice work! I wish I could tun that fast. For now I will have to be happy with running under 10 minute miles. =)
  • arc918
    Options
    @arc918:
    The time improvement from your OC half to Fontana half is awesome! Nice work! I wish I could tun that fast. For now I will have to be happy with running under 10 minute miles. =)

Thanks much! Fontana is my favorite race ever (this was my 5th time doing it). I was set to do the full at OC, but the weather was looking sucky, so I wisely decided to run the half (even managed to neg split).

If you're in So Cal, put Fontana on your list for sure. I was there with a bunch of friends, every single person PRed there. The race was only $30 and they gave out lots of swag (shirt, hat, pins, medal).
  • kobzal
    kobzal Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    @arc918:

Thanks much! Fontana is my favorite race ever (this was my 5th time doing it). I was set to do the full at OC, but the weather was looking sucky, so I wisely decided to run the half (even managed to neg split).

If you're in So Cal, put Fontana on your list for sure. I was there with a bunch of friends, every single person PRed there. The race was only $30 and they gave out lots of swag (shirt, hat, pins, medal).

I am in SoCal, so I will look that one up! I think my next one is the Santa Clarita half in Nov. I heard many people PR on that one too becuase it is mostly flat to downhill.
  • arc918
    Options
    @arc918:

I am in SoCal, so I will look that one up! I think my next one is the Santa Clarita half in Nov. I heard many people PR on that one too becuase it is mostly flat to downhill.

Cool, good luck there! I've never done Santa Clarita - I've always wanted to, but I usually seem to running something else right before or right after it.
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I officially stated training for my first race, 4 mile Fun Run in Palmer Lake, CO July 4th. I started a weight loss journey about 2 years ago now and found that I love running! I had a major setback last September when I had ACL reconstruction after I tore my ACL, MCL and Hamstring in my left knee. Now that I’m finally back to feeling good and the knee is stronger I feel like I might be able to start accomplishing my goals!
    I’m a little intimidated by the idea of running in an organized race but I really think I would love to go on to do some 10K's and Half Marathons in the future! I’m just going to start out with a few shorter races and see how they go before I commit to anything else, though. Any advice and or suggestions are greatly appreciated since I really newbie at this!
  • pverbarg
    pverbarg Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    Did 8K training run this morning. Besides being hot and humid it was so MUCH better than I would have predicted. I'm a very slow runner at this point and just switched from intervals to running a mile before a walk break this week. My goal speed was 15:45 per mile (which I've hit before), and my sister who is a very serious and fit runner predicted 15 minutes (even though I just broke that time this week). Incredibly, in spite of some decent hills, we finished in less than 14:25 per mile and only a few walk breaks!! WOOHOO! Can't say how thrilled I am at breaking down some of the mental barriers to my ability to shift from walking to running!

Our half is September 3rd. Her prediction on speed is 12 minute miles by then. For those of you who've run for a while, does this seem like a reasonable pace increase in 12 weeks?
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Did 8K training run this morning. Besides being hot and humid it was so MUCH better than I would have predicted. I'm a very slow runner at this point and just switched from intervals to running a mile before a walk break this week. My goal speed was 15:45 per mile (which I've hit before), and my sister who is a very serious and fit runner predicted 15 minutes (even though I just broke that time this week). Incredibly, in spite of some decent hills, we finished in less than 14:25 per mile and only a few walk breaks!! WOOHOO! Can't say how thrilled I am at breaking down some of the mental barriers to my ability to shift from walking to running!

Our half is September 3rd. Her prediction on speed is 12 minute miles by then. For those of you who've run for a while, does this seem like a reasonable pace increase in 12 weeks?

YES! Not many people can say they have run a half marathon, ANY pace is great!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm up to 12 miles with 3 weeks to go before a half, this may still be do-able.

For those that have done half's what do you do about refueling in runs? My half is down a canal so water stations are literally floating so i'll take some water but I'm worried about refueling any advice/suggestions?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I'm considering signing up for a half marathon in mid October...I've been running since February and am planning to use a run/walk training method, but I'm really nervous about making the commitment, I'm currently only able to run 2 miles without a walking break so...any running advice, tips, support, etc. is welcome!
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'm considering signing up for a half marathon in mid October...I've been running since February and am planning to use a run/walk training method, but I'm really nervous about making the commitment, I'm currently only able to run 2 miles without a walking break so...any running advice, tips, support, etc. is welcome!

Just do it!

There's nothing wrong with having to walk in a half marathon. 2 miles is great, it'll build up really quickly. I did a run by run method so one run I'd increase distance, then speed, then maintain although ideally that's a target for each week.
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hi, Im training for my first HM in August. I couldnt run longer than 50 metres in January and today did 13km in 90 mins - not the fastest but I ran the whole time and didnt find it too taxing. Im really hoping to finish in 2.5 hrs.

Ive started the Hal Higdon training schedule but I really noticed today that it was my legs that got tired toward the end, not my cardiovascular system so Im thinking of doing some exercises to strengthen my legs. I was thinking of doing planks to improve my core, and lunges and squats but I would love advice form others on other exercises to help strengthem my legs.

I was planning to have me longest training run of 19 km - should I review this and do at least one that covers 21km?
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

Just do it!

There's nothing wrong with having to walk in a half marathon. 2 miles is great, it'll build up really quickly. I did a run by run method so one run I'd increase distance, then speed, then maintain although ideally that's a target for each week.

Thanks! I was definitely planning on using walking breaks...it just seems like such a huge thing right now...trying to figure out my training and supports right now :)
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options

Just do it!

Thanks! I was definitely planning on using walking breaks...it just seems like such a huge thing right now...trying to figure out my training and supports right now :)

You STILL havent signed up ... OMG girl just do it. I will write you a training program if you would like! :) You can 100% do this!!
  • LiveThinLiveWell
    LiveThinLiveWell Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I prefer to carry nothing, but you almost have to. For long runs I prefer the belt because it holds my car key and phone. If I'm running In the neighborhood or park, it is usually laps of the same route, so I stash water bottles in a spot on the route. That doesn't help during an event. Whatever you try, train with it a lot to decide what you like best.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I prefer to carry nothing, but you almost have to. For long runs I prefer the belt because it holds my car key and phone. If I'm running In the neighborhood or park, it is usually laps of the same route, so I stash water bottles in a spot on the route. That doesn't help during an event. Whatever you try, train with it a lot to decide what you like best.

What kind of belt do you use? I'm thinking I need to pick one up as my training runs are getting longer. I'm good with 7-8 miles without water, but if I'm going to go longer, it might be good to carry some and some carbs too. Any good brand suggestions????
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options

What kind of belt do you use? I'm thinking I need to pick one up as my training runs are getting longer. I'm good with 7-8 miles without water, but if I'm going to go longer, it might be good to carry some and some carbs too. Any good brand suggestions????

Fuel Belt!
  • MichellMD
    MichellMD Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi Runners,

I have done the Richmond Half twice and the Virginia Santa 10-miler once. I've been running for a while but have just started doing half marathons the last 2-3 years. My husband has done several full marathons. I would love to find some other great runs to do in Virginia. I know about the Virginia Rock n Roll and the Shamrock, but have not done those yet. Is anyone else from Virginia (Newport News area)? Would love to meet other MFP friends.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Fuel Belt!

Thank you!!!! I will check them out! I love a tried and true endorsement... so thanks!