Half Marathon Club (and training)

Options

Replies

• nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks emmaleigh...great advice.

I haven't been back on the thread until now. I have been down and out with a chest cold...grrr. I am itching to run. I did try two miles the other night thinking I was feeling better but alas, I need to let myself rest and get better.

I love hearing everyone's successes and challenges.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    The temp suddenly went up this week (from 60 to 90) and I've had 2 runs when it was hot. Found a new hydration pack that I really like. I've used the handheld and the bottle waist belt. My friends like the fuel belt but I didn't. A big issue for me is my tummy still sticks out so as I run the belt moves up under my chest or I have to tighten it so much that it's uncomfortable. I ended up with a anadelle camelback. Only 5.6 oz and holds 50oz or 2 water bottles worth. Love not feeling anything around my middle. I'm still getting it adjusted, but so far it's been good and has a small pouch that I can put some items in. Today I'll take it on a longer run and see how it goes.
  • beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I may look into a belt because I tend to get cramp in my shoulder carrying a bottle! Thank you.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this thread.
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Just curious.... Do any of you take any special vitamins or supplements while you are training for a race?
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Just curious.... Do any of you take any special vitamins or supplements while you are training for a race?

I don't take any of that stuff. I stay somewhere between half marathon & marathon shape year round.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    I take normal vitamins and use a chocolate protein powder supplement to help me get to my desired protein intake with minimum calories.

I mix the protein with milk, fruit, and oatmeal after runs for a recovery drink and with peanut butter and honey at night as a sandwich treat (It tastes like a giant peanut butter cup)..
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    The temp suddenly went up this week (from 60 to 90) and I've had 2 runs when it was hot. Found a new hydration pack that I really like. I've used the handheld and the bottle waist belt. My friends like the fuel belt but I didn't. A big issue for me is my tummy still sticks out so as I run the belt moves up under my chest or I have to tighten it so much that it's uncomfortable. I ended up with a anadelle camelback. Only 5.6 oz and holds 50oz or 2 water bottles worth. Love not feeling anything around my middle. I'm still getting it adjusted, but so far it's been good and has a small pouch that I can put some items in. Today I'll take it on a longer run and see how it goes.

Can you msg me exactly what you got? I am thinking of a Camelback too but I havent decided ...
  • doo1963
    doo1963 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input on the vitamins/supplements.
  • rickydeuce
    rickydeuce Posts: 80
    Options

Funny, I was going to ask the same thing. My daily intake consists of (and am looking for feedback also):

Glaucosimin/Chondroitin
    Fish Oil
    Vitamin C
    B Complex w/ Thiamine
    General Daily Vitamin
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I need to start getting more active with this thread. My training hasn't started yet, and it won't till mid-August. I'm ready to start it now, that way it keeps me running. This morning I did another 5k. This is the first 5k with my husband. We had a good time and I actually think it brings us closer. We went over the finish line together which was a really great moment for me. I haven't read through the thread yet, but will be after I post. I am, however, wondering which training program people are using for their training, and if anyone is doing the rock n roll san antonio this november?
  • LaraeTX
    Options
    I'm up to 12 miles with 3 weeks to go before a half, this may still be do-able.

For those that have done half's what do you do about refueling in runs? My half is down a canal so water stations are literally floating so i'll take some water but I'm worried about refueling any advice/suggestions?

I love the "sport Beans" made by jelly belly, and I use the extreme sport beans, because they have caffine in them. They are small enough and won't melt like some of the gummies
  • Mamapengu
    Options
    I'm up to 12 miles with 3 weeks to go before a half, this may still be do-able.

For those that have done half's what do you do about refueling in runs? My half is down a canal so water stations are literally floating so i'll take some water but I'm worried about refueling any advice/suggestions?

I found I had to re-fuel at about mile 5-6 or felt really tired at mile 8, and again at mile 9. My run was very very hilly at the front half. I found I couldn't do the sport beans (too bad because they make them here in town and hand them out at every race) or the power bar gels, but can tolerate the Gu pretty well. My husband who is much much more experienced and faster uses only Cytomax in his water bottle. I played with different things during my long training runs for a couple months. Just don't change or try something new the day of the race!
  • Mamapengu
    Options
    Hi, I know it's not a half marathon, but I'm just getting my base mileage back up the next couple weeks and did a 5k to see where I was at- Got a PR by about 3 minutes and broke 30 for the first time!

Also, met a great old (81) runner who was telling me about his over 200 races. he was upset with his 32 min race because his training was not very good the last 2 weeks! So fun to just listen to him.
  • Cletc
    Cletc Posts: 352
    Options
    I hope everyone has been able to keep up with their training.
    I have troubles with unexpected overtime, often for a few days in a row, and other life obligations.

But I'm laced up and going out for 70 minute run this morning.

Have a good run Everyone!

16 weeks til my next HM
    :happy:
  • evertongirl
    evertongirl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    My HM is at the end of August - first ever! I did a 14km run on Sunday in quite windy condiiotns - hope its not windy on the day of the event - not fun running in the wind! 14km is furthest Ive ever ran in my life so felt quite proud of myself - it took 100mins but I figure I still have a while to improve times a little - Im just hoping to run the whole 21km for my first one!
  • Peyton115
    Peyton115 Posts: 75
    Options
    Hi there! I just found this thread and would love to join in if that's alright? I have a half marathon planned for the end of October and would love the training support. This is my first half marathon. I run lots of 5 & 10Ks but I know half marathons are a whole new level!
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I have 18 days till my 15K race. In the middle of the course they have a HUGE hill that is about just short of a mile. That hill is currently my biggest worry. Any tips on training for killer hills?
  • LaraeTX
    Options
    I found a training program on Shape.com, gonna try it out. It's a 12 week program, but I'm doing every week twice. I keep looking at different programs and figuring out which one i want. I have been itching to start an actual program, so that's what I came up with. Tonight was the first night of it, was supposed to do 3 miles or 30-35 min which ever came first. I was hoping for 3 miles tonight, by my quads were killing me and were still very tight from the 5k on Saturday. got 2.4 miles done in 34 min, that is forever for me!! Oh well, starting this training from scratch and will be more prepared.
  • Mightytaco84
    Mightytaco84 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the Air Force HM in September. It will be my first.