Half Marathon Club (and training)

Options

Replies

• Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    weird - not sure where my post msg went - sorry guys!

So what did you have to say??? I'd love to know.
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I can't believe I just found this string! (I usually stalk running websites like it's my job!)
    I'm doing the TN Ragnar in November. I have done numerous 5ks, a warrior dash, and a 10k so far this year. I just started running in Feb of this year and have completely fallen in love!! So far I've looked at lots of half/full marathons in the fall/winter of this year but I haven't commited to any of them.

I'm doing Ragnar TN in Novemember. Did it last year and had a BLAST! What's your teams name??
  • arl1997
    arl1997 Posts: 8
    Options
    currently my team is registered as "This Team Rocks" but we're going to change it when we come up with something more creative. Any advice for a bunch of Ragnar virgins?
  • lizzyheath09
    lizzyheath09 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    currently my team is registered as "This Team Rocks" but we're going to change it when we come up with something more creative. Any advice for a bunch of Ragnar virgins?

You will have a BLAST. We are "Nut up or Shut up" again this year and that name seems to fit with Ragnar legs. I am planning on taking the Runner 12 slot this year. I recommend running at night and in a more rural setting before the race. You should run at least once with all of your reflective gear, headlamp, etc. before doing it during the race. Don't stress and plan to have lots of fun!
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,391 Member
    Options
    I just thought I would report back on how my 15k went on the 9th. I ended up achieving both of my goals. I had wanted to finish in the top 20 for my age group and actually got 17th:) My time goal was to be under 1:30 and I finished in 1:29.02.
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I just thought I would report back on how my 15k went on the 9th. I ended up achieving both of my goals. I had wanted to finish in the top 20 for my age group and actually got 17th:) My time goal was to be under 1:30 and I finished in 1:29.02.

Awesome!!! I know what you mean about coming in a decent place for your age group... unfortunately right now I'm at the end of mine... will be 40 next spring (yikes) which means I'll be the youngest next year.. but this year, I'm the oldie!!! Whatever, I'm not getting smoked and that makes me happy.

Nine miles planned tomorrow and the heat and humidity will be brutal. Any suggestions besides hydrate and energy beans???? Already got my Gatorade in the fridge!!!!
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options

Thats awesome! I can't wait to get out there and see how I do in an actuall race. Next weekend its a 6k in Colorado!
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options
    My first timed 10K today and I did it in 71mins, 14secs! Sweet!.. or should I say sweat! LOL, worked my butt off but feel AMAZING! That Half Marathon in Sept. is looking more doable every day! =D
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    My first timed 10K today and I did it in 71mins, 14secs! Sweet!.. or should I say sweat! LOL, worked my butt off but feel AMAZING! That Half Marathon in Sept. is looking more doable every day! =D

Good for you! that is wonderful!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I posted a blog about todays training run ...
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emmaleigh47

We will just say it was rough ..
  • Nikstergirl
    Options

Woohoo!!! Great job! I've been told if you're doing 10k already, you are ready to train for a 1/2. I sure hope so!!!! Awesome job!
  • Nikstergirl
    Options
    I posted a blog about todays training run ...
    www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/emmaleigh47

We will just say it was rough ..

Girl, I'm impressed. You finished!!!! You are NOT, I repeat... NOT in NO WAY a failure! Get that word out of your vocabulary!!!!!! You are a seriously awesome running athlete.... that is all!!!!
  • stargazer1980
    Options
    I just stumbled upon this thread and thought I would introduce myself. I am a 31 yo mother of four, ages 7 to 4 months. I have just become addicted to running and am determined to get in the best shape of my life. I started when the baby was six weeks old and have a 5k (late August), 10k (late September), another 5k (mid October), half marathon (mid November and December) and full marathon in January. Not sure if I will be ready for the full, but I am aiming for it. I am currently doing Jeff Galloway training program. I am in no way fast, but slow and steady :-) I've worked up to 7 mile long runs and this week and am going to incorporate some accelerated runs in my workouts. As for hill training, what do some of you guys do that live where there are no hills? We are on the prairie with no hills within an hour radius.
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    As for hill training, what do some of you guys do that live where there are no hills? We are on the prairie with no hills within an hour radius.

bummer, as much as I "love" hill training they do really help with strength. Can you add squats and lunges to your workout each day, or run stairs/bleachers, use a stair climber?
  • flausa
    flausa Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Well, I've started running, so I decided to switch my 1/2 marathon registration from power walking to running. I'm actually anticipating doing a combination of the two, but I really wanted to put in an estimated finishing time. Admittedly, I'm sort of aiming low (between 2hr45 and 3hr), but if I have an epic fail on the day with my running, it should still be a doable time. I hate that they allow walking, but they don't actually let you register with an estimated finishing time. Anywho, I went for my longest walk/run today and completed 9.22 miles in 1hr46, so I should be in good shape to hit my target time by the 4th of September!
  • Lynn1315
    Lynn1315 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Found this thread and have a few questions...

I ran my first half marathon on May 1st (Flying Pig in Cincy) and have injured my left hip flexor. I haven't been for a decent run since. I just started PT without seeing a physician first.

I've been running since January 2010 and was looking for some running groups and came across this one. I've done 2 half marathons and love the half over a 5K!

I also did the flying pig in Cincy (always good to see another flying pig on the message boards!)... what a great race! I'm training for my next half in Erie PA... then onto the Full marathon (which I am freaked out and scared to death!)

I don't have any advice about your injury, but rest is usually good. I think I would go to a doctor to get another opinion based on what the PT said. You don't want to jump in too soon, then end up with an even larger injury.
  • Harley2005
    Options
    I LOVE running. I started last July and have done about 6 HM some 5k and 10k and a full
    Marathon in April. I have another full marathon booked for next April. I joined a club and love the social side. I would definitely say that efforts are a must - so faster and slower recover, fartlek and hill running as well as just a straightforward distance run. If you can do some efforts training like this it will improve your running much more than just plodding for 10 miles twice a week.
  • 515TeachNRun
    515TeachNRun Posts: 6,392 Member
    Options
    I ran 9 miles yesterday. I have to say every step was a struggle! It is so strange that some days you can run forever and other days every step is torture. It was more a mind struggle than a body one. UGH! I stopped and took breaks. Terrible run, but I got it done!
  • ColoradoCowgirl
    Options
    I ran my first 5K yesterday, Rocky Mountain State Games, and it was great! I was determined not to walk any of it and didn't! I finished in 30:15 min, which is WAY better then I thought I was doing. I felt like I was sucking wind the whole time, lol, but I moved to KS a while ago and this one was in Colorado so that may have something to do with it. But the best part is I came in THIRD in my age range!!!!! I never imagined I would place especially in my first 5k!! Im so dang happy! Now on the 10k's and Half Marathons!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Im off to see the ortho this morning... My L leg and hip really isnt any better and because of the weirdness of the pain (doesnt get better with rest, heat or ice) I think I need an xray to make sure I dont have a fracture. Hopefully its nothing and then I can stop worrying about it ... I will report back!