Mark your calendar...June 6th starts another round of P90X C

Options

Replies

• reepobob
    reepobob Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Hey Bob and all! Happy to report I'm doing well! Doing my P90x workout in the am and going to the gym for some extra cardio after work everyday except on Yoga days (because frankly 90 minutes is enough for me) lol.

Question! I've been using free weights that are frankly too light. I'm going to get the resistance bands from Beachbody next week- but I was wondering about pull ups? I just need to buy the door attachment right? I didn't see this on the Beachbody website... but then again I wasn't really looking for it, so I could have easily missed it.

Also- I have a friend that is a personal trainer that knowing I was doing P90x recommended a very high carb diet to me (example below). I have lost weight with this since I started about a month ago... but I was just wondering what others think. Should I stick with his plan or go with the P90x 50/30/20 ratio of protein, carb, fat?

Here's the plan he gave me:

Bkfst: Oatmeal Fruit

Snack: Yogurt Fruit

Lunch: Lean Meat, Carb, Veggie

Dinner: Lean Meat, Carb Veggie

Snack: Carb

The pullup bar is on the website, but it is basically an Iron Gym, which can be bought at any sporting goods store (the exact thing)...measure your doors..if you have non-standard widths, you may not be able to use it. That is what happened to me when I stayed in hotels...the doors are wider. Creative Fitness makes a nice wider door frame pullup bar. You can also use a small $5 door attachment and loop bands through it.

As for me, I am just sticking with what works...I am on the 50%P, 30%C, and 20%F ratio, but I have actually tweaked it down to 50%P, 35%C, and 15%F because I was having trouble making my carbs every day...so I gave up and upped it to 35%. If your body fat is relatively low, your trainer's plan is probably a good one, but I am no expert in that area. They say that you should listen to your body and if you can maintain your energy during a workout at 50/30/20, then keep it up...if not, tweak your carbs in the upward direction. I am at 50% protein and I haven't bonked yet. All I know is what works for me... :)
  • reepobob
    Options
    You guys are doing great! I feel bad that I started early and can't be in sync with all of you...but I KNEW that starting on Monday would kill my Legs and Back routine and I want to give that workout the time it deserves (I pause that one alot to allow me to take my time with the reps...especially those damn sneaky lunges). I did my Yoga-X and it is just what the doctor ordered! Feeling loosey/goosey and much better prepared for the squats and lunges that await me tomorrow. I held the half moon poses fairly well tonights as well as crane...my balance postures are 100% better from when I first started P90X last February.

A lot of people don't like Yoga-X...I can only say that you have to give it time. It grows on you (at least it did for me)...try not to sub it out...at least after doing it 3 or 4 rotations in a row. It does get easier and it helps with soreness from previous workouts and gets you in better physical condtion for the next strength workout. Plus, I always sleep so much better after doing Yoga...Love it!

Allrighty gang, I am going to finish my green tea and then call it a night. Take care and keep BRINGING IT!
  • MAK_01
    MAK_01 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Hi all. sounds like everyone had a good Tuesday and everyone was bringing it!
    Day 2 of lean - Cardio X for me today. I worked really hard at it today, and I did pretty good (I thought I did :smile: ) it felt great!

Have a great night!
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all you P90xers. So, I recently got a heartrate monitor, which I love, because I am now able to more accurately track my calories burned, but I was wondering about how accurate mine is, because i've noticed that a lot of other people on here seem to be burning 2 or 3 times more calories than I am. For example, I did legs and back and ab ripper today, and it said I burned just under 300, but I've seen a lot of people on here burning 600-700 calories on the strength training workouts. And it's not like I'm slacking while I'm doing it, I work up a darn good sweat.

So what do you guys think? Is it just because I'm fairly small? I'm 5'6 and down to 132 pounds (yay!!! 8 pounds gone since starting p90x 3 weeks ago!). I know I shouldn't gauge myself by other people's burns, and, for example, I probably can't expect to burn as much as reepobob, who I'm sure does WAY more pullups than I do. I was just wondering if it was normal that my numbers are so much lower than it seems like everyone else's are?
  • knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! It's time for the Gun Show! Shoulders, Arms & ARX!! BRING IT TODAY PEOPLE!!!
  • melleyd
    melleyd Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Day 3 complete! Arms and shoulders and Ab Ripper X. Still can't do half of the Ab Ripper workout but I'm doing my best and forgetting the rest!!!
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have a question for all you P90xers. So, I recently got a heartrate monitor, which I love, because I am now able to more accurately track my calories burned, but I was wondering about how accurate mine is, because i've noticed that a lot of other people on here seem to be burning 2 or 3 times more calories than I am. For example, I did legs and back and ab ripper today, and it said I burned just under 300, but I've seen a lot of people on here burning 600-700 calories on the strength training workouts. And it's not like I'm slacking while I'm doing it, I work up a darn good sweat.

So what do you guys think? Is it just because I'm fairly small? I'm 5'6 and down to 132 pounds (yay!!! 8 pounds gone since starting p90x 3 weeks ago!). I know I shouldn't gauge myself by other people's burns, and, for example, I probably can't expect to burn as much as reepobob, who I'm sure does WAY more pullups than I do. I was just wondering if it was normal that my numbers are so much lower than it seems like everyone else's are?

You're probably right on. I'm 5'4", and about 145. According to my HRM, I'm usually in the 300-400 calorie range. Some workouts, like Plyo get up up around 500 calories burnt. It wouldn't hurt to double check your settings in your HRM, to be sure you have everything right. Mine has a setting for type of activity... walking, running, aerobic, etc. I get different amounts depending on that setting. Reps, weight, intensity, pushing pause, etc. will all make a difference too. Hope that helps :happy:
  • jljohnson
    jljohnson Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! It's time for the Gun Show! Shoulders, Arms & ARX!! BRING IT TODAY PEOPLE!!!

Me too! I'm still sore from Chest/Back/ARX on Monday, so it was tough, but made it through.
  • autbot74
    autbot74 Posts: 15
    Options
    I am doing a modified version of Classic. I'm still recovering from double foot surgery. This morning we (hubby and I) did the plyometrics oh wow!!!! I do the P90X every other day (so only twice so far) and alternate with cardo at the YMCA in between.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    You're probably right on. I'm 5'4", and about 145. According to my HRM, I'm usually in the 300-400 calorie range. Some workouts, like Plyo get up up around 500 calories burnt. It wouldn't hurt to double check your settings in your HRM, to be sure you have everything right. Mine has a setting for type of activity... walking, running, aerobic, etc. I get different amounts depending on that setting. Reps, weight, intensity, pushing pause, etc. will all make a difference too. Hope that helps :happy:

Thanks! Yeah, for plyo and that I can get up to 500ish, I had just noticed that some people seemed to be up to the 600s for the non-cardio days and I was wondering if I was slacking. :p My heartrate monitor doesn't have a setting for type of activity, but everything else is all set up to my stats, so I guess it's probably right. I'll have to start trying to squeeze some more reps in, to see if I can get a better burn. :)
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hey Bob and all! Happy to report I'm doing well! Doing my P90x workout in the am and going to the gym for some extra cardio after work everyday except on Yoga days (because frankly 90 minutes is enough for me) lol.

Question! I've been using free weights that are frankly too light. I'm going to get the resistance bands from Beachbody next week- but I was wondering about pull ups? I just need to buy the door attachment right? I didn't see this on the Beachbody website... but then again I wasn't really looking for it, so I could have easily missed it.

Also- I have a friend that is a personal trainer that knowing I was doing P90x recommended a very high carb diet to me (example below). I have lost weight with this since I started about a month ago... but I was just wondering what others think. Should I stick with his plan or go with the P90x 50/30/20 ratio of protein, carb, fat?

Here's the plan he gave me:

Bkfst: Oatmeal Fruit

Snack: Yogurt Fruit

Lunch: Lean Meat, Carb, Veggie

Dinner: Lean Meat, Carb Veggie

Snack: Carb

The pullup bar is on the website, but it is basically an Iron Gym, which can be bought at any sporting goods store (the exact thing)...measure your doors..if you have non-standard widths, you may not be able to use it. That is what happened to me when I stayed in hotels...the doors are wider. Creative Fitness makes a nice wider door frame pullup bar. You can also use a small $5 door attachment and loop bands through it.

As for me, I am just sticking with what works...I am on the 50%P, 30%C, and 20%F ratio, but I have actually tweaked it down to 50%P, 35%C, and 15%F because I was having trouble making my carbs every day...so I gave up and upped it to 35%. If your body fat is relatively low, your trainer's plan is probably a good one, but I am no expert in that area. They say that you should listen to your body and if you can maintain your energy during a workout at 50/30/20, then keep it up...if not, tweak your carbs in the upward direction. I am at 50% protein and I haven't bonked yet. All I know is what works for me... :)

Thanks Bob! I Maybe I'll just stick with it. I have TONS more energy than when I eat more protein (I was sluggish the first few days but I caught up)- and even with following this plan of his my settings for MFP are still looking good at 50/30/20 (I could just use a bit more protein).

Appreciate the input! Keep on bringin' it!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Hello all...

I have chest & back along with arx tonight. I want to switch to a.m's but have gone to bed too late.

I had rest day yesterday and was out of town over the weekend so I slacked off in my food. :( I was at my mom's house and she cooked my favorite. I did get up and do kenpo on Saturday though.
    Then on Sunday we were supposed to do it once we got home after the 4 hr drive but we ended up arriving at 1:30AM so last thing on our minds was p90x.

But I'm bringing it TODAY.

And we did kenpo on Saturday because I didn't want to do yoga. I find it extremely boring and meh. I've only done it once though so I need to give it time. I rather do kenpo PLUS cardio over just yoga. Any tips?

I'm also keeping active apart from p90x. I go bike riding, jogging and will do the cardio x every now and then. Extra never hurts right?

I weigh in on Wednesdays. After week#1 I GAINED a pound but it was the time of the month that week so I will blame it on that. :tongue: Today I weighed in after week #2 and I lost 2.8lbs. Yipee! I was afraid the flour tortillas would come back to haunt me. :devil: Let's see what week #3 does... :happy:
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! Last night, long story short, I let the ministress things and tiredness and pure laziness get to me and ended up not doing my work out. I also ate half a cin roll and drank half a Stella.

Tonight I WILL get back to it with Plyo or Cardio X and get back on track. And I WILL be caught up and ahead one work out so I can take Monday off.
  • laurelderry
    laurelderry Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody! Last night, long story short, I let the ministress things and tiredness and pure laziness get to me and ended up not doing my work out. I also ate half a cin roll and drank half a Stella.

Tonight I WILL get back to it with Plyo or Cardio X and get back on track. And I WILL be caught up and ahead one work out so I can take Monday off.

Don't feel bad! I prelog everything, so I had logged my yoga and then never got around to it because we had family over for dinner. I feel unbelievably guilty! But I'm right back at it today ;) Keep bringin' it!
  • reepobob
    Options

I say trust your HRM! You are only 132 pounds (congrats on the weight loss!) and you are obviously burning more efficiently than I am! Intensity of the workout definitely has something to do with it to, but I am noticing my burns are going down as I am losing more and more weight...I need that damn weighted vest ASAP!
  • reepobob
    Options
    Hello all...

I have chest & back along with arx tonight. I want to switch to a.m's but have gone to bed too late.

I had rest day yesterday and was out of town over the weekend so I slacked off in my food. :( I was at my mom's house and she cooked my favorite. I did get up and do kenpo on Saturday though.
    Then on Sunday we were supposed to do it once we got home after the 4 hr drive but we ended up arriving at 1:30AM so last thing on our minds was p90x.

But I'm bringing it TODAY.

And we did kenpo on Saturday because I didn't want to do yoga. I find it extremely boring and meh. I've only done it once though so I need to give it time. I rather do kenpo PLUS cardio over just yoga. Any tips?

I'm also keeping active apart from p90x. I go bike riding, jogging and will do the cardio x every now and then. Extra never hurts right?

I weigh in on Wednesdays. After week#1 I GAINED a pound but it was the time of the month that week so I will blame it on that. :tongue: Today I weighed in after week #2 and I lost 2.8lbs. Yipee! I was afraid the flour tortillas would come back to haunt me. :devil: Let's see what week #3 does... :happy:

Dianna,

I firmly believe that Yoga-X is one of the most important routines in the entire P90X series. It's the "stick that stirs the drink" in my opinion. It makes your performance in all of the other workouts better. I hated Yoga-X when I started, but I look forward to it more than any other P90X workout now. All I am saying is try to give it a chance...it is there for a reason. Allright, my preaching is done...
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I will be doing arms and shoulders here shortly. In my opinion this and kenpo are the easiest workouts. I absolutely hate yoga, and I am very flexible. It is just too monotonous.

Hey Bob I saw earlier where you were talking about your pullups, and like most people you can do more underhanded. I can do about 5 good ones wide and about 2 more cheating and the same with an underhand grip. I dont know why my numbers are the same. Regardless by the last few sets I am down to a total of 4 The main reason I decided to go with P90X was the back and ab work.

I was suprised I wasn't very sore after Chest and Back.

My muscles are also very exhausted by the 2nd round and my reps drop in half is anyone else like this. For example on pushups I go from a little over 20 to about 12 when the secound round comes along.

The one thing I think P90X misses out on is lower back work, and that is one of the most important bodyparts to work especially from a health perspective. I am going to include some on my own. I have a weak lower back.
  • MAK_01
    MAK_01 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone!
    Today was Day 3 Lean - shoulders and arms + arx. And it was a successfully work out for me, I got the workout in before I headed off to work and I am very happy to report I have increased the weights I use for this one and I survived! ARX is still such a struggle, but I do it the best that I can.

On a side note my hamstrings are very angry at me today!

Have a great day everyone!
  • reepobob
    Options
    I will be doing arms and shoulders here shortly. In my opinion this and kenpo are the easiest workouts. I absolutely hate yoga, and I am very flexible. It is just too monotonous.

Hey Bob I saw earlier where you were talking about your pullups, and like most people you can do more underhanded. I can do about 5 good ones wide and about 2 more cheating and the same with an underhand grip. I dont know why my numbers are the same. Regardless by the last few sets I am down to a total of 4 The main reason I decided to go with P90X was the back and ab work.

I was suprised I wasn't very sore after Chest and Back.

My muscles are also very exhausted by the 2nd round and my reps drop in half is anyone else like this. For example on pushups I go from a little over 20 to about 12 when the secound round comes along.

The one thing I think P90X misses out on is lower back work, and that is one of the most important bodyparts to work especially from a health perspective. I am going to include some on my own. I have a weak lower back.

I can do about twice as many underhand as overhand, but I do slightly less overhand as you (I can do about 4 before gassing and cheating). As for the second round, I have never been able to match what I did in the first go around, but I have come close on some exercises. I really struggled with Chest and Back in the Lean Round I just completed, but I have made some imaginary leap since starting Classic as I did really well last Saturday (surprised the hell out of me). I think you and I just haven't learned to pace ourselves in the first round...that is all. Tony is right. Most workouts would end at the halfway point of Chest and Back...keep that in mind.

You are doing great!
  • reepobob
    Options
    Happy Wednesday everyone!
    Today was Day 3 Lean - shoulders and arms + arx. And it was a successfully work out for me, I got the workout in before I headed off to work and I am very happy to report I have increased the weights I use for this one and I survived! ARX is still such a struggle, but I do it the best that I can.

On a side note my hamstrings are very angry at me today!

Have a great day everyone!

Great job on upping the weights...I am bumming because I felt my workout was diminished because I am still trying to figure out the darn bands...I didn't feel sore either and usually my arms and shoulders are screaming the next day. Do you pause ARX between each move and do all 25 at your own pace or do you do as many as you can while the DVD rolls and move on when they do? I found that taking my time and doing all of them (as long as it takes) got me to the point where I progressed and felt competent. I only leave the DVD rolling during Fifer Scissors and Mason Twists