21 CONSECUTIVE days of exercise Challenge

Options
I realize this is short notice, but I'm starting this tomorrow. If I put it off for the start of a week or a month, I may put it off forever. Today I visited for several hours with my bff of 27 years. She's the one who got me involved in this site. She's been doing it just under 6 weeks and has lost 12 lbs, and more importantly has lost 5 inches off her waist, gone down several jean sizes, has improved the early-onset arthritis in her knees, and has improved her mood/anxiety level so much that her shrink is speaking of weaning her off her meds!! That is MASSIVE improvement in under 6 weeks!! And she says that it is almost entirely due to exercise. Not that she's not watching what she eats too - but she's NEVER been a big eater. In fact, she had to INCREASE what she ate to get up to the 1200 cals that the site keeps pushing her towards. I need to improve in all the areas she has as well - the weight loss & inches gone is really cool but would be a side benefit of losing the pain in my knees & reducing my depression meds - as well as the fact I'm diabetic & know that exercise reduces blood sugar.

So anyone feel like dedicating themselves to this idea? 21 CONSECUTIVE DAYS OF EXERCISE!! After that you can option to cut back to 5x a week or whatever. But that 21 days to make a habit rule is what I'm going for here. My friend tells me that she has now gotten to the point where if she misses a day or 2 of exercise she feels sluggish. She MISSES it! Imagine that! So regardless if anyone else wants to do it, I'm starting tomorrow and not stopping for 21 days!

Replies

• fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Great Idea! I have been here for over 6 months now and I sprained my ankle 3 weeks ago. I have felt so bad the last 3 weeks not really being able to exercise. I started walking again yesterday (for exercise). Im In... tell me what I need to do.. guidelines and stuff... logins??
  • mzjandiace
    mzjandiace Posts: 162
    Options
    I exercise everyday, and yesterday was the first day I hadn't in about 12 days! I actually felt like I was cheating for not doing anything~ but once you get in it, and get a good schedule, it will become a habit. I just like the feeling of knowing I DID IT!
  • ivorythorns
    ivorythorns Posts: 33
    Options
    Sounds fun! I'm getting sick of my routine already! Like you, my roommate has lost tons of weight -- just by biking every day. And he eats absolutely CRAP all day. I'm jealous! Also, I have this terrible pain in my right knee, which makes it hard to do some exercises... I'm definitely on board!
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I'm in. I already do 4x a week for 1/2 marathon training, but am suppose to x train one day a week, which I usually blow off. Is there a minimum amount of time we should commit to? Like 30 minutes?
  • Mariposa187
    Mariposa187 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    im game... i have a wedding in about 30 days so this would be awesome! I dont want to have to buy another dress (i planned on wearing my graduation dress) but if its because i have lost weight then it will be worth it :bigsmile: I shall start with you tomorrow.... is there a specification for how long everyday?! im aiming for at least 30 mins depending on the activity...

LETS DO THIS! :wink:
  • kayladiane5
    kayladiane5 Posts: 94
    Options
    I'll join in. I'm going on vacation for all of those 21 days but 9 of them so it will be an even bigger challenge.
  • TobieGirl
    TobieGirl Posts: 15
    Options
    Great idea! I'll join. In need a kick in the butt. I find it hard to log all the food on this site - but I will rise to your challenge of working out 21 days in a row and logging them on this site each day.
    Any guidelines? Does a long walk count? That's what I've been doing - out pushing the stroller with my baby at night.
    I want to feel and look better. I have a family reunion in a little over a month (4th of July)....and want to accept being in photos - not shrug away from them.

Let's do this!
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    YEAH! Feels good to see so many people ready to join in the challenge! I've never done a challenge on here b4 so I don't know exactly what the standard is. Would appreciate feedback - is there a place for groups on here? I've not really explored the community area much. I say 30 mins is a good minimum amount of time to workout each day. I will be walking - but you can do anything you like. The point is that we are MOVING OUR BUTTS for at least 30 mins a day :) I would like to have a place for us all to log what we've done. I think it's important to not only be accountable to others, but to be able to see what others have done so it motivates the group.
  • ivorythorns
    Options
    30 minutes sounds like a reasonable amount to me. :) If you go much higher, it gets hard for people to commit to so much time!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    I like this challenge! I've been already exercising every day ever since I started Insanity.
  • ivorythorns
    Options
    30 minutes sounds like a reasonable amount to me. :) If you go much higher, it gets hard for people to commit to so much time!
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Great idea! Count me in :0)
  • Melinda1987
    Options
    Ok so I've been looking into how other Challenges are run on here and it appears there's no separate Group area - we just post right here, which is fine by me. We could either have a separate thread for each week or keep it all here. I prefer to keep it all here because I don't know how each of you would find the new thread if I started one each week? It's only 3 weeks anyway. :)

Here's what I would like to see posted each day:

1) What you did for exercise (EX: Walking, Zumba, bicycling, etc)
    2) Duration (30 mins min)
    3) Calories burned (if you know them)
    4) How you felt (you can refer to before, during, or after - I'm just curious... tired? powerful? joyful? sad? accomplished?)
  • rivera_72084
    Options
    I Want to Join as well...Im supposed to be walking 30mins a day for 5 days per my weight loss Dr, but since I have slacked I need the push to get into a routin..Im starting today with you all as well!
    Im a night owl Blahhhh lol, 12 Hr night shifts at the hospital so depending on my nights off I will logg in my results, so times will vary! Yay Im super Motivated now!:flowerforyou:
  • DebiP10
    DebiP10 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    ive just finished 30 day shred (no rest days) and had 1 day rest then started 6week 6 pack so i know that this actually works and gives great results. Look forward to reading this thread again at the end, wtg :smile:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    DAY 1-

Elliptical

30 MIN

357 Calories burned

I set the intensity up pretty high so I really had to push. I am still sweating like crazy and its been like15 minutes since I finished! Its been a while since I got on my elliptical. Other than the fact that it makes a weird clunking noise... I still love it!
  • Kanzaki3
    Kanzaki3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Day 1

Insanity: Pure Cardio & Cardio Abs

56 minutes

594 calories burned

I felt really sore from yesterday's series of workouts so I couldn't give it my 100%. However, I kept pushing and made a pool of sweat on my mat. I felt good having accomplished this.
  • Melinda1987
    Options
    DAY 1

1) What you did for exercise? - Walking
    2) Duration? - 30 mins
    3) Calories burned? 416
    4) How you felt (you can refer to before, during, or after - I'm just curious... tired? powerful? joyful? sad? accomplished?)

Well this was the first time I've exercised for a full 30 mins in AGES. Probably at least a year or more. I had to get some scripts filled at the pharmacy in the local Chief's grocery store - so while I waited I walked. I had my pedometer & cell on me so I knew exactly how far & how long I walked. The first 10 mins I was ON FIRE! I was strutting along super fast. Next 10 mins I was feeling it, but I was still powering along. I started to flag in the last 10 mins but when I found myself slowing down I forced myself to swing my arms harder and pump those thighs! I gotta say - it's not easy being nearly 300 lbs and power walking around in public. As I would pass the glass doors on the frozen food section I would see that my flabby thighs had rubbed together enough to push up one side of my shorts. No matter how often I secretly "adjusted" them, they kept coming back up. I briefly felt humilated and then thought "Melinda Jean!! If you were shopping in the store yer thighs would do the same thing. At least NOW you're doing something GOOD for yourself! If people wanna judge u for that, screw 'em!" And I pumped those fat thighs harder!! :D So overall my feeling? PROUD to have started! Now bring on the next 20 days!! :)
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    DAY 1

1) What you did for exercise? - Walking
    2) Duration? - 30 mins
    3) Calories burned? 416

Well this was the first time I've exercised for a full 30 mins in AGES. Probably at least a year or more. I had to get some scripts filled at the pharmacy in the local Chief's grocery store - so while I waited I walked. I had my pedometer & cell on me so I knew exactly how far & how long I walked. The first 10 mins I was ON FIRE! I was strutting along super fast. Next 10 mins I was feeling it, but I was still powering along. I started to flag in the last 10 mins but when I found myself slowing down I forced myself to swing my arms harder and pump those thighs! I gotta say - it's not easy being nearly 300 lbs and power walking around in public. As I would pass the glass doors on the frozen food section I would see that my flabby thighs had rubbed together enough to push up one side of my shorts. No matter how often I secretly "adjusted" them, they kept coming back up. I briefly felt humilated and then thought "Melinda Jean!! If you were shopping in the store yer thighs would do the same thing. At least NOW you're doing something GOOD for yourself! If people wanna judge u for that, screw 'em!" And I pumped those fat thighs harder!! :D So overall my feeling? PROUD to have started! Now bring on the next 20 days!! :)

Day 1
    1 - Jogging 10.5 minute miles
    2 - Duration 65 minutes
    3 - Calories 638
    4 - 5AM came much too early today and I wasn't feeling the love. However, I powered through it and even had a slight uptick in my speed between miles 4 and 5.
  • tanyaMax
    tanyaMax Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Awesome! You go girl!!!!!!