most insensitive gift ever...

Options

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Our first Christmas together, I received a fully loaded red tool box!:noway::grumble: Hahaha!:laugh:

He has since grown tremendously and has evolved thankfully to more appropriate
    gifts. Like jewelry, flowers and even a Nikon D60 one year for my favorite hobby!:love:

Are you kidding? I'd love to get that tool box! But then again, I'm kind of the dude in our relationship. I'm the one who fixes all the things (like the vacuum cleaner that just broke), and he's the one who remembers all the important holidays and anniversaries. :laugh:
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    For my 7th birthday I received a whole crate of oranges (yes, the fruit) from my 85 year old great aunt. She was so proud of that gift and was visibly upset because I wasn't more excited about receiving it.

33 years later, I now realize why she was so proud of that gift.... When she was a child there was very little refrigeration so a crate of oranges in January was akin to a box of gold.

In hindsight a very thoughtful and generous gift, but at the time...:noway:
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    This wasn't insensitive, just strange...

When I was dating my husband (we were around 18 and 19) my mom bought him a t-shirt that had 3 ducks on it, and said "We be bowlin'...." He IS a bowler, but also isn't 12 years old and hanging out at the skating rink....We laugh about that shirt to this day.
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    My MIL gave me a magazine for Christmas one year. A magazine. Not a subscription, just a magazine. Another year, she gave me 3 forks.
    WTH!?! :indifferent:
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    This stuff is hilarious!!!:laugh:
  • fabi8081
    fabi8081 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    my sister, years ago, gave me a gift certificate..........................to Dr. Kovorkian.....

note.........hes the suicide doctor .....

hmm, not nice sis..............

Ok that is funny!!! I couldn't stop laughing!!!!!
    That is by faaaaaarrrr the best!!!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Damn, This is a tough room! I guess I won't say ANYTHING about the year I bought my wife road flares for her birthday. It's a long story, but I can see there would be very little appreciation for my gift.
    smiley-sad030.gif
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I think the 3 forks should be framed in a shadow box and hung in the dining room. I would love to see the reaction it got! This has kept me entertained for far too long!
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    this past christmas my best friend gave me a bedazzled hat that she made and it had pink stones all over it. 1) i don't wear baseball hats 2) i don't wear anything with rhinestones all over it and 3) i hate pink.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    I haven't received anything that bad but my mom gifted a horrible gift to my MIL.

Last Christmas she told me she got my MIL a very nice 4 set crystal wine glasses from Macy's and that it had been on sale. So I gave it to my MIL on my mom's behalf without any worries. When she unwrapped the box from the decorative wrapping, in front of my husband and I, I noticed it had like that clear transparent tape keeping the box closed. And it looked like tape that had been lifted once or twice, you know like when the tape looses it's adhesiveness, that is how the tape looked. And the box looked a little banged up on the corners, very minimal but still evident. Well, she (MIL) proceeded to open the box and the wine glasses were individually wrapped in NEWSPAPER!!!!!! It was then that I realized that the box was SECOND HAND!!!!!!!!!!
    My mom loves going to consignment/thrift stores, so I immediately realized she had gotten this at the consignment shop and that it wasn't "new". Oh man, I wanted the earth to open up and swallow me on the spot. I just smiled and hoped my MIL wasn't offended lol.
  • Melinda1987
    Melinda1987 Posts: 130
    Options
    I was working in a factory and there was a Chinese woman who worked on the same line I did. After I'd been there a few weeks, I realized that, though she spoke rather broken English, that she understood most things just fine. She often pretended to have language issues when she felt it convenient. Anyhow one day she said "My sister is so mean! She sent me some clothes in the mail. They are HUGE! They are more your size. The neck on one of them drapes so low it basically shows my boobs! I will bring it in for you - maybe you can wear it." Um... ok... You just called me a fat cow, but I'm s'posed to appreciate this because yer giving me a "gift" ???
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Damn, This is a tough room! I guess I won't say ANYTHING about the year I bought my wife road flares for her birthday. It's a long story, but I can see there would be very little appreciation for my gift.
    smiley-sad030.gif
    Oh I don't know. I mean, what if she breaks down late at night and could use them to alert drivers she's there? Keeps her safe. Shows you love her. I think it's romantic. Women just don't get it.
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    My 6th fiancée (I've had 8, including my 2 husbands) gave me an engagement ring he gave to another woman. He forgot he showed me this ring on our 1st date. I kept it, but made him get me another (which I also kept). I needed to come off the market.

NEVER GIVE BACK THE RINGS!!!!!

My ex-fiancee gave his current wife the same ring we were engaged with. I wore that sucker for 2 years, BAHAHAHAHAHA....
    Now she walks around acting all proud with her big fat diamond ring and when I see her, I just think, "ha, you are wearing second hand sister"!
    I personally would never keep the ring. Bad juju.
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    My college boyfriend's valentines gift to me was the Velvet wallhanging of the dogs playing poker.... Yep, he really gave me that...
    My roommates would not let me put it up in our apartment because it was such an awful gift. I did not want to hurt his feelings, so put it up in my bedroom for 2 days before I finally took it down and gave it back to him.. He was truly baffled as to why I didn't like it.
    Must be a guy thing.
  • shallo
    shallo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    For my 7th birthday I received a whole crate of oranges (yes, the fruit) from my 85 year old great aunt. She was so proud of that gift and was visibly upset because I wasn't more excited about receiving it.
    My 8 year old would love that as a gift..he's a fruit addict though.
  • elleninez
    elleninez Posts: 44
    Options
    One year for my wedding anniversary I got a tube of toothpaste. To be fair, we were completely and totally broke, but...still.

Last year for Valentine's day the (now-ex) bf went on & on about how he hated it. I told him I didn't care what he bought me, anything, cheap, whatever, as long as there was SOMETHING just to know he thought of me. Led to an argument.

He comes in on Valentine's day, throws me a chocolate rose, and says "THERE, there's your Valentine's present."

Lovely sentiment behind THAT.
  • mzbrandyluv
    mzbrandyluv Posts: 103
    Options
    Fell absolutely head over heels for a guy (the only guy I've ever loved) but we had a very peculiar relationship. We were together, but he didn't want to "label" it...whatever...early 20's crap. I didn't care, I just wanted to be with him.

Well I went over for our usual Saturday movie night, which happened to fall on Feb. 14th. I'm sitting there and he pulls out a wrapped present for me. I open it, and it's a perfume that he picked out for me because he loved the smell of it. (I'm HUGE into scented oils/perfumes) I thought it was the NICEST most THOUGHTFUL thing...until he said "Just so you know, this ISNT' a Valentine's day gift... I just felt like giving it to you now." He must've repeated that 4 or 5 times during the course of the evening. Serious OUCH!
  • Merodie
    Merodie Posts: 21
    Options
    TOO FUNNY!!!!!!!! I AM CRACKING UP AT WORK......TO MYSELF.....PEOPLE ARE LOOKING AT ME WIERD

me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • MissO﹠A
    MissO﹠A Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    3 forks. Janitor bucket. Road flares.

You guys are killin' me.

Not the most horrendous gift as I tend to be pretty grateful, but one year my lovely, gracious MIL got everyone -- literally everyone, kids included -- bath robes. Not so bad, right? We didn't really need bathrobes though as we already had a set. Besides, they were matching navy blue and too big. My hubster takes it back to the store, returns it and uses the credit toward a really nice coffee maker. The store up and sends her an email that we returned the MFing robes. Thanks John Lewis. Thanks a lot. *head-wall*