most insensitive gift ever...

Options

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    When I was about 10 my Stepmothers Mom..gave me coal for Christmas..she had deemed me a bad child...whats worse is my Daddy didnt knock her out for doing so.....
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I NEVER EVER buy something for the household as a personal gift for my wife. Those items should be part of the household budget. I also NEVER EVER buy clothes, unless emails me the store, the size, the item number and a picture.
    The rule in our home is that you NEVER give a gift that has a cord attached or that can be used in a kitchen UNLESS it has been specifically requested by the recipient.

So two years ago I bought my wife a new frying/saute pan set, as requested, for Chistmas. Not knowing she had asked for these, my BIL bowled over his daughter, son and the dog trying to get out of the way of the expected mayham when she opened her present and excitedly ran over to thank me.

P.S. I did get her items other than the frying pan.. I'm not THAT cheap.
  • Karleyyy
    Karleyyy Posts: 857
    Options
    a few years ago my mom sent me a care bear. yep a big stuffed one from the cartoon in the 80's. it came with a VHS tape. i ended up giving it to a friend i work with for her 2 year old.

for christmas of 2009 she made a christmas train out of plastic canvas and then last year she gave me a whole freakin' gingerbread village made out of plastic canvas. my husband and i lost our house last year and moved into an apartment. we have no where to be able to put a tree much less a village that consists of about 12 pieces and are all pretty big. the best part of the present was the guilt trip that came with it. to quote "i started making that when you still had a house and he" (referring to my husband) "still had a job." like it was our fault he lost his job and we had to move out of our house!

i've also been given a latch-hook rug of elmo and a tickle me elmo both from my parents and i was in my 20's. i guess i shouldn't complain though. last year my mom gave my brother (who is 26) a toy dump truck because it's name was the same as his.

Sounds like your parents want you guys to be toddlers again!
  • LovelySnugs
    LovelySnugs Posts: 389
    Options
    I NEVER EVER buy something for the household as a personal gift for my wife. Those items should be part of the household budget. I also NEVER EVER buy clothes, unless emails me the store, the size, the item number and a picture.

The rule in our home is that you NEVER give a gift that has a cord attached or that can be used in a kitchen UNLESS it has been specifically requested by the recipient.

So two years ago I bought my wife a new frying/saute pan set, as requested, for Chistmas. Not knowing she had asked for these, my BIL bowled over his daughter, son and the dog trying to get out of the way of the expected mayham when she opened her present and excitedly ran over to thank me.

edited: totally misunderstood the last sentence there.

story's still pretty win, though.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Thank you! These are the best posts I've ever read on MFP!
    Teary eyed from laughing so hard!
  • charlottesauce
    Options
    that isn't even nice or encouraging. I would have been super offended. A potential vacation is a better idea! ha
  • Katie320
    Katie320 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This isn't really insensitive, or I suppose it could be taken as such, but it is weird. My sophomore year of high school my group of friends and I decided to do a secret Santa gift exchange. We had a little party for the last "big" gift. Everyone else gave and received fun and cost-appropriate gifts (we put a min of $10 and max of $15). My gift? A glass elephant figurine. I don't have an affinity for elephants or glass figurines and there was no joke or explanation for it. Later a different friend told me that my secret Santa forgot to buy a final gift and just found the elephant in her house. From one 15 year-old girl to another, it was a pretty weird gift.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    These are awesome, I am glad DH is a good gift-giver.
    My uncle got me a weird gift one year, it was a snow globe with jungle animals inside, I was 20.
    I think this could spawn a new thread: caught regifting!
    My story is that I got a mantle clock from my realtor at the closing of my condo, but I was moving into an apartment, didn't have a mantle and the clock was just in the box in my backseat for months when a friend I met for drinks was talking about getting something for an office Christmas exchange, it was supposed to be nice-not joke-gifts in the $20 range. I told her she could have the mantle clock to take and she took it and the girl who got it seemed really pleased with it too, but later my friend saw it on her desk and the clock is engraved with my last name! oops...
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    for valentines day one year, my ex sent me roses to my job. i was sooo excited. it was valentines day and the first time i had been with someone to share valentines day with. i was so excited when i told my sister about it. then she told me she knew he wouldnt do anything so she had the flowers sent to me and was sending the bill to him. thanks sis! at least i know u love me. lol.
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    hahaha. that totally reminds me of a secret santa gift i got a few years ago. it was a my little pony gumball dispenser. i have no idea why i always get little kid gifts!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Christmas from my moms friend- used lipstick and a half used packet of post it notes... Thhhaaaaankss.
  • mzbrandyluv
    mzbrandyluv Posts: 103
    Options
    Damn, This is a tough room! I guess I won't say ANYTHING about the year I bought my wife road flares for her birthday. It's a long story, but I can see there would be very little appreciation for my gift.
    smiley-sad030.gif
    Oh I don't know. I mean, what if she breaks down late at night and could use them to alert drivers she's there? Keeps her safe. Shows you love her. I think it's romantic. Women just don't get it.

hehehe, there's nothing wrong with giving your lady road flares, or things of that nature to keep her safe. BUT WHY OH WHY do you think you should give such a thing to her as a 'GIFT' on a "special day"?? hahaha, If it's just some random Tuesday and you say Hey hun, I was thinking of you and I want to make sure you're safe, here's a kit of jumper cables, fix a flat, and road flares....there would be NO issues. Or you could always take it a step further and say "Hun, I was thinking of you and want to make sure you're safe...This is Sven. He's going to be your personal body guard/choffer from now on....you won't need a jack cause sven can lift 400 lbs with one arm...."
    Whoa, sorry...little day dream there ;)
  • 000angie000
    000angie000 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Bump:)
  • justcallmejennifer
    justcallmejennifer Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    One year, my ex-boss got all of us remote control fart machines. But it was better than the spatula his wife (also a boss) gave us.

that sounds like a fun boss to me. so silly!
  • LimeyTart
    LimeyTart Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My MIL gave me a magazine for Christmas one year. A magazine. Not a subscription, just a magazine. Another year, she gave me 3 forks.

Was she mentally ill or have some other problems?

I'm not joking either; those sounds like a gift from someone that isn't quite "there", like the kind of person that collects string or sorts matches or something.

No. She's just a nasty witch. She and my FIL go out of their way to show me how unwelcome I am in their "family." Because I'm biracial. Fortunately, my husband doesn't have much to do with them anymore, so it's not a huge stress in my life.
  • missbp
    missbp Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    My most insensitive gift came from my husband. It was meant to be a wedding gift I suppose, since he gave it to me the night of our rehearsal dinner. It was a video camera.

I know that this does not sound like and insensitive gift, but a few weeks before while we were in a store that sold video cameras, he suggested that we should get one. I told him that I did not have any interest in getting one, as I didn't think we really needed one at that point in our lives. (This was in 1996. Before everyone had phones that took video) I told him that if it was something he wanted, he should get it.

Well, he did. The insensitive part is that he wrapped it up and made a big production of having me open it in front of everyone. I spent an hour in the bathroom crying about the possibility that I was going to spend the rest of my life being disappointed by his lack of sensitivity. Fifteen years later, not much has changed. : )
  • epoeraven
    epoeraven Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I got a sapphire birthstone ring one year for my birthday from my (now ex) boyfriend. The problem you ask? Sapphire is September's birth stone. My birthday is in April.

I found out later it was a ring he had orignally bought for a previous girlfriend and they broke up she gave it back to him.....not impressed.
  • PaulaDDN
    PaulaDDN Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    MIL gave me a cross pendant.... I'm Jewish.

LMAO
  • Cristy_AZ
    Cristy_AZ Posts: 986
    Options
    My brother gave me a poster (which I didn’t want) in the box from a skateboard (which I really did want – he took the box from a neighbor boy, knowing I wanted it). That was pretty insensitive, but yea, I think I he was 12, so I forgive him!! LOL!

My husband gives fantastic gifts, has great taste and NEVER forgets a Holiday, especially Valentines Day… yup, you guessed it, he didn’t get me ANYTHING our first Valentines Day, he had that “it’s a stupid made up Holiday that doesn’t mean anything” attitude. I thought I handled it pretty well, but I tell you to this day (25 years later) he makes a point of sitting down ANY young man in a relationship and explaining the importance of Valentines Day, including long (and in my opinion exaggerated) examples of the consequences!!! :blushing:
  • misslyssx
    misslyssx Posts: 87
    Options
    For my birthday my boyfriend didn't get me anything. I know he was low on money and had to pay his car insurance that month, but seriously? Plan ahead a bit... So the next day, "to make up for it until I get you a real gift," he got me a bag of beef jerky, five $1 scratch off tickets, and a stupid gag card with a hamster saying "I'm giddy whenever your near, and please dont get mad but I just have to add" (OPEN CARD) "You look really great from the rear!" By the way, that was my 17th birthday. Scratch off tickets? At least I got two bucks out of them.