most insensitive gift ever...

Options

Replies

• BrownEyedG1rl
    BrownEyedG1rl Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MIL gave me a cross pendant.... I'm Jewish.
    \
    HA!! That is too funny!

OMG! Really?? Really.
  • _SusieQ_
    _SusieQ_ Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    *snicker* douche canoe....you're funny.

For our 10 year anniversary, TEN YEARS, I got....nothing. We had just bought our first home, and we in the process of moving. I just happened to mention I would love a charm bracelet for my anniversary. He looks at me and says, I bought you a house, that's your gift. Um, ok, pretty sure WE bought the house and it was our 10 year! I don't mean to sound materialistic I swear, but really??? "I bought you a house"?!?!?
  • Yemaya1129
    Yemaya1129 Posts: 75
    Options
    my dad gave me the free shampoo and conditioner he got from a hotel room. Boxed up and wrapped as if it was a gift. :huh:

Also, he buys crazy crap at garage sales all the time, hoping to sell it on Ebay, and when it doesn't sell, he gives it to me. :huh:

That sounds like my FIL, although he buys random crap that he found at a local lower-end department store. He doesn't seem to get that 5 Hawai'ian shirts for $3 is not a deal when they're so ugly that no one would ever wear them.

Other weird/creepy gifts:

At my bridal shower, my MIL gave me a see-through black negligee, "to insure grandchildren." I felt like telling her that negligee that he knew that his mother was probably the best birth control imaginable.

After my daughter was born, ILs kept pushing to buy a life insurance policy on her as a gift...but to list themselves (and both have considerable health issues) as beneficiaries "just in case."
  • dd122436
    dd122436 Posts: 39
    Options
    3 days after having my first child my husband bought me anti cellulite cream for my birthday! I almost cried, but I knew he had NO IDEA what he'd done. I made sure he knew after I got over the shock of it.
  • Yemaya1129
    Yemaya1129 Posts: 75
    Options
    3 days after having my first child my husband bought me anti cellulite cream for my birthday! I almost cried, but I knew he had NO IDEA what he'd done. I made sure he knew after I got over the shock of it.

That's hilarious and horrifying at the same time.
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    Wow, there are some pretty horrible ones here.... I can't think of anything now, but I'm sure I will later, and I want to keep reading what everyone else posts!
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I won't complain about gifts I've gotten!!

I typically just pick them myself!
  • SuperMoniMonk
    SuperMoniMonk Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I got a lollipop for valentines day...and he was 26 yrs old ...! so cheap !
  • adougherty10
    Options
    My husband has not bought me a gift since we were dating (we've been married since 2003).

A few years ago my sister gave me a set of bed sheets for a twin sized bed (I have a queen). The sheets had little cars & flowers all over them. My guess: either garage sale or regift?
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    My SIL and her husband got me and my husband Bibles for Christmas after we had a detailed discussion (in which they told us we were going to hell) about how we weren't in to organized religion. They haven't ever done anything like that again but it totally made me wtf because they knew I had like 4 Bibles already (My grandpa is a pastor and gives his grandkids the Bibles when he is done with them) so I think those two Bibles are still sitting on a shelf somewhere lol
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Ahhhh, I just love to tell this story.

My husband and I have been married almost 18 years. but back in '99 we were separated for about 10 months. We moved back in together early 2000. Along comes Valentine's Day, so I decide to bake cupcakes and cookies for him. I spent all evening making them, packaged them up all pretty with a nice card. Now, my husband is a bowler, has been bowling on leagues for years. This was bowling night. No big deal, I'll see him when he gets home....which happened to end up being around 3 am, rip roaring drunk. The next day, nothing. No card, no gift, mumbled apologies. So that night he comes home with a card and a big chocolate heart full of candy. I look at him and say, really, you think HALF PRICE candy is going to do it? So I let it sit there a day or two while I'm stewing. Finally I decide to let it go, I go to get a piece of candy and it's gone. I ask, where is the candy heart. He looks at me with fear in his eye and says, I didn't think you wanted it, so I ate it.

Drunk husband, half price candy, that HE ATE.

Wow, that sounds like something that my man would do. LOL!!!
  • dragonbait0126
    dragonbait0126 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    a few years ago my mom sent me a care bear. yep a big stuffed one from the cartoon in the 80's. it came with a VHS tape. i ended up giving it to a friend i work with for her 2 year old.

for christmas of 2009 she made a christmas train out of plastic canvas and then last year she gave me a whole freakin' gingerbread village made out of plastic canvas. my husband and i lost our house last year and moved into an apartment. we have no where to be able to put a tree much less a village that consists of about 12 pieces and are all pretty big. the best part of the present was the guilt trip that came with it. to quote "i started making that when you still had a house and he" (referring to my husband) "still had a job." like it was our fault he lost his job and we had to move out of our house!

i've also been given a latch-hook rug of elmo and a tickle me elmo both from my parents and i was in my 20's. i guess i shouldn't complain though. last year my mom gave my brother (who is 26) a toy dump truck because it's name was the same as his.
  • gemlynch
    gemlynch Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    well let's just start with the most recent..... anniversary present.... a laundry basket and measuring spoons, sure, there was also chocolate and flowers but come on.... when i said "how did you think of these presents, they are so random" he got defensive and said he had thought hard about what he should get. that's not even the best.....
    for my 30th birthday, the year i gave birth to his daughter i got a pizza pan. i told him it was lame. the price came up, he said it was like 40 bucks, i said i was returning it. when i returned it it was $12. let's continue....
    last year i got a vacuum for my birthday but in march, my birthday is in december, i was actually psyched about the vacuum, we really needed one....
    and now the oldest and greatest
    for my birthday, i think the first year we were together......
    a magazine subscription to US weekly, was happy about this until.... he didn't pay the bill and i got sent to collections
    I can't believe I signed up for this ****
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Back in 2005 my hubby and I are still newly-weds...well in that first year my husband got a new car speaker/Amp box thing for his car.......yep - you see where this is going.......for my BIRTHDAY that year I got HIS OLD SPEAKER..... Lovely.... I don't even care about that kinda stuff!??.... I don't need to alert people I'm coming from a mile in advance by the BOOMING of my car speakers like he does. grrr

I looked at him and said( with a completely dead pan face and NO enthusiasm in my voice).."Thank you honey, I really like it..."

Years later we're talking and it gets brought up in conversation and he's like " What??! You mean you really didn't like it!!???"...

Idiot....
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    My husband and I gave eachother gifts when we first started dating - the awkward, first-Valentine's-Day-together gifts were horrible. (Yes, I did the drugstore teddy bear and chocolates thing. I have shame.) He at least did better and made me a CD of songs that were meaningful to him and he hoped would be meaningful to me. They definitely are now, as we've grown together.

He has a tradition of giving me roses on my birthday, but only because the Lion's Club comes by and sells them. We both know this is why I get roses on my birthday, so he's not offended when I say, "Oh, the Lions stopped by, eh?" :flowerforyou:
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    MIL gave me a cross pendant.... I'm Jewish.
    \
    HA!! That is too funny!

OMG! Really?? Really.
    Unfortunately, really.

As revenge, I enjoy reminding her over and over that "The Last Supper" was Passover Seder. It drives her bezerk!
  • crazymama2two
    crazymama2two Posts: 867
    Options
    *snicker* douche canoe....you're funny.

For our 10 year anniversary, TEN YEARS, I got....nothing. We had just bought our first home, and we in the process of moving. I just happened to mention I would love a charm bracelet for my anniversary. He looks at me and says, I bought you a house, that's your gift. Um, ok, pretty sure WE bought the house and it was our 10 year! I don't mean to sound materialistic I swear, but really??? "I bought you a house"?!?!?

the same ex said to me one time "what do you want, a ring or a house" well, WTF am i supposed to say to THAT? i got a mother effin houe which I bought with him as well LOL
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    my sister, years ago, gave me a gift certificate..........................to Dr. Kovorkian.....

note.........hes the suicide doctor .....

hmm, not nice sis..............
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    a few years ago my mom sent me a care bear. yep a big stuffed one from the cartoon in the 80's. it came with a VHS tape. i ended up giving it to a friend i work with for her 2 year old.

for christmas of 2009 she made a christmas train out of plastic canvas and then last year she gave me a whole freakin' gingerbread village made out of plastic canvas. my husband and i lost our house last year and moved into an apartment. we have no where to be able to put a tree much less a village that consists of about 12 pieces and are all pretty big. the best part of the present was the guilt trip that came with it. to quote "i started making that when you still had a house and he" (referring to my husband) "still had a job." like it was our fault he lost his job and we had to move out of our house!

i've also been given a latch-hook rug of elmo and a tickle me elmo both from my parents and i was in my 20's. i guess i shouldn't complain though. last year my mom gave my brother (who is 26) a toy dump truck because it's name was the same as his.
    hahaha....toys....that's hilarious! :laugh:
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    my sister, years ago, gave me a gift certificate..........................to Dr. Kovorkian.....

note.........hes the suicide doctor .....

hmm, not nice sis..............
    Can you re-gift that one?