the myth, starvation mode, and dont eat before bed.

Options

Replies

• size08
    size08 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yes, I'm lovin' these articles. Breakfast is over rated, breakfast cereal companies are only trying to make money. I've reduced my breakfasts' and I'm feeling fine. well, most importantingly I'm not fainting at work on the morning shift. it's O.K to have a small breakfast. as for the:- eat a good dinner ever wondered why anorexics can't sleep at night.......they will wake-up at 2am because their bodies need food. and the calsium theroy:- there's no point drinking a huge glass of milk in one sitting because the body can't absorb it so the excess is turned to fat, I'm assuming. trick is, to drink milk or eat cheese in small amounts over the day.:drinker:
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Thanks for replies. I have actually dropped from 1500 calories then 1400 and then to 1300 - but still have taken over 20 weeks to loose 12lb- tbh most of that was lost before I cam on here. I agree that the exercise calories may be over estimated on here ( thats when i found out my running machine tells me the calories burnt.lol)

On the weight loss programme I was talking about we did have someone who was disabled who lost a lt of weight - so that why I was discussing taking the exercise factor out of the equasion .

During the time on here I have tried - zig zagging - seemed to help but hard to track
    and at the moment I try 40 /30/30 - protein/carbs/fat.

Also I have tried measuring the calories but using full(good fat product) rather than low fat.

I think sometimes when you have been on lots of different diets - it is easy to mix things up in your head - and think that the odd measurement or slip up does not matter - but it does if you are on a different type of "diet"

I am not giving up .But have now realised I can not rely on my thyroid medication helping me either.
  • iamthepreston
    iamthepreston Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    To the OP I can see where you are coming from, but you are over generalizing it and confusing people.

The way you are eating is actually something I agree with. Stay in a calroic defecit for a few days and then eat above maintenance. I do not think you need to eat way above maintenance just around 300 cals. There is also a scientific method of doing this where you eat below maintenance until your body temp drops and then you go above. Its been awhile so I dont remember the specifics.

Starvation mode does exist, and it occurs in people who ate in a severe defecit for an extended period of time.
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    To the OP I can see where you are coming from, but you are over generalizing it and confusing people.

The way you are eating is actually something I agree with. Stay in a calroic defecit for a few days and then eat above maintenance. I do not think you need to eat way above maintenance just around 300 cals. There is also a scientific method of doing this where you eat below maintenance until your body temp drops and then you go above. Its been awhile so I dont remember the specifics.

Starvation mode does exist, and it occurs in people who ate in a severe defecit for an extended period of time.

Wow that's very interesting... basing it on body temperature...
  • clipsychic
    clipsychic Posts: 99
    Options
    Bump... Till I get to my puter.
  • jansus
    jansus Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    actually I would just like to say that the low carb comment about the diet I mentioned was not entirely correct. on the green version -wholemeal pasta and potatoes are "free" and protein is measured. and that works as well. It is more sugar and fat that is restricted - but it is definitely not calorie counting.

Tbh I am thinking of going back on it and still using here for support because I have made some good friends.

Like you say what works for some does not work for others and I am still not convinced by some research because the recommendations seem to change from day to day.
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    just curious but why would we want to be like cavemen, wasnt their life expectancy like in the 30's?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    just curious but why would we want to be like cavemen, wasnt their life expectancy like in the 30's?

In defense of that whole 'lifestyle' paleo thing...there was a lot of other things that contributed to that life expectancy than just what they ate. Their lifestyle was very hard on them...for one. If you too 20 of us, trained us to live as cave men, and threw us in the wild...I'd be surprised if we made it 30 years. The whole 'paleo/caveman' thing was an unfortunate way to spark people's imagination and get them interested. Everyone is so literal minded nowadays unless they're thinking about themselves lol. It's more a 'back to basics' approach to eating...with whole foods, no grain, minimal carbs (not NO carbs)...and oddly enough, you can EAT ALL YOU WANT, unlike ascriminal's approach.

Just thought I'd clarify there.
  • registers
    Options

In defense of that whole 'lifestyle' paleo thing...there was a lot of other things that contributed to that life expectancy than just what they ate. Their lifestyle was very hard on them...for one. If you too 20 of us, trained us to live as cave men, and threw us in the wild...I'd be surprised if we made it 30 years. The whole 'paleo/caveman' thing was an unfortunate way to spark people's imagination and get them interested. Everyone is so literal minded nowadays unless they're thinking about themselves lol. It's more a 'back to basics' approach to eating...with whole foods, no grain, minimal carbs (not NO carbs)...and oddly enough, you can EAT ALL YOU WANT, unlike ascriminal's approach.

Just thought I'd clarify there.

Cris not once have i said "don't eat." I am against long term fasting. That doesn't mean I don't believe in it. I wouldn't long term fast to lose weight. Somedays I eat 3000 calories within 1hr, with peanut butter cups, and cookies. I'll classify this as eating whatever i want. If people read this and think "oh he eats whatever he wants all the time" no i don't. I have specific days for certain biochemical goals.

In your defense cris. I also think a big part of it, it's for human nature to prolong their life span. Throughout time this has been true.
  • registers
    Options
    Yes, I'm lovin' these articles. Breakfast is over rated, breakfast cereal companies are only trying to make money. I've reduced my breakfasts' and I'm feeling fine. well, most importantingly I'm not fainting at work on the morning shift. it's O.K to have a small breakfast. as for the:- eat a good dinner ever wondered why anorexics can't sleep at night.......they will wake-up at 2am because their bodies need food. and the calsium theroy:- there's no point drinking a huge glass of milk in one sitting because the body can't absorb it so the excess is turned to fat, I'm assuming. trick is, to drink milk or eat cheese in small amounts over the day.:drinker:

I wasn't aware of the cereal pitch. Another pitch is the "eat 6 meals a day" thing, that it speeds up your metabolism. That came from the meal replacement shakes.
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

I wasn't aware of the cereal pitch. Another pitch is the "eat 6 meals a day" thing, that it speeds up your metabolism. That came from the meal replacement shakes.

LOL your back again spouting all this craziness, please give it up already

Here this actually came from a real MD not a internet proclaimed heath whatever your calling yourself.

The Truth About 6 Meals a Day for Weight Loss
    Can eating more frequently help you lose weight?
    By Kathleen M. Zelman, MPH, RD, LD
    WebMD Expert Column

Three squares a day -- breakfast, lunch, and dinner -- is a way of life for many of us. But some diet experts believe more frequent meals could be better. Eating six small meals a day, they say, helps regulate blood sugar, control cravings and keep hunger at bay.

As long as you choose the right foods and watch portion sizes, "grazing" throughout the day can help you lose weight while keeping you energized. But it's not for everyone -- especially if you have trouble controlling the amount you eat or if you don’t have time to plan and prepare and healthy snacks and meals.
    The Truth About 6 Meals a Day

Hunger is a dieter’s worst enemy. That gnawing feeling usually occurs between meals, when blood sugar levels drop. In theory, if you divide your daily calorie allotment into several small meals throughout the day, hunger won’t be an issue.

Jorge Cruise’s The 3 Hour Diet is one diet book that claims frequent small meals can rev up your metabolism and help you burn calories. But while eating more frequently seems to help some people control hunger, the scientific evidence indicates that there's nothing magical about it. Ultimately, what matters most is reducing your total calories -- regardless of the number of meals or snacks.

A review in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded there was no real weight loss advantage to eating six meals a day. Another study, in the British Journal of Nutrition, found no weight loss difference between dieters who ate their calories in three meals daily or six meals a day.
    What Should You Eat?

Eating more frequently could actually mean less nutrition and more calories if you don’t carefully plan out your snacks and meals.

Calorie requirements are determined by age, sex, physical activity levels, and weight loss goals. Most adults need about 1,500-2,200 calories for weight loss, unless they're very active. (See WebMD's Food and Fitness Planner to calculate your own calorie requirements.)

For maximum satisfaction, each mini-meal or snack should include lean- or low-fat protein, fiber, and a little healthy fat. For good nutrition, try to include at least one fruit or veggie in each mini-meal.

Good protein sources include lean meat, seafood, low-fat dairy (yogurt, cheese, milk), eggs, nuts, beans, and soy. Fiber-rich foods include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans. Healthy fats come from vegetable oils, avocados, nuts, and fatty fish.

Here are some healthy mini-meals that are easy to prepare:

An apple with a piece of cheese and light popcorn
    Egg, slice of whole-wheat toast, and half a grapefruit
    Grilled chicken sandwich with veggies
    Whole-grain roll with peanut butter and banana
    Hummus, whole-grain crackers, and baby carrots
    Smoothie made with yogurt, fruit, and juice
    Waldorf salad and half a turkey sandwich
    What Should You Eat? continued...

If you want to lose weight eating several times a day, you must control your portions. Be careful of foods that are easy to overeat, like cheese, pasta, nuts and any of your favorite foods. WebMD’s Portion Size Plate tool can show you what correct serving sizes look like.

Eating six mini-meals a day can be a challenge when you're away from home or otherwise not preparing your own meals. When eating out, opt for simply prepared foods without sauces. To keep portions in check, take home part of your food for another meal, or simply order a salad and an appetizer.
    6 Meals a Day: The Bottom Line

Eating smaller meals more often provides an excellent opportunity to eat a healthier diet. Shifting your focus from high-calorie snacks to balanced mini-meals could be exactly what you need to help you whittle your waistline.

But eating three squares is also a perfectly healthy way to eat and lose weight. So choose the meal plan that works best for your lifestyle. As long as your meals are well-distributed through the day, and you never go more than 4-5 hours without food, you can reach your weight loss goals with three, four, five, or six meals a day.

Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD, is director of nutrition for WebMD. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.

Now read carefully and not into what you are reading and STOP! polluting the forums with your half *kitten* knowledge of a subject. Also the warrior diet has been around for a while didnt just pop up when you invented it on this site.
  • registers
    Options

Here this actually came from a real MD not a internet proclaimed heath whatever your calling yourself.

WebMD Expert Column

Three squares a day -- breakfast, lunch, and dinner -- is a way of life for many of us. But some diet experts believe more frequent meals could be better. Eating six small meals a day, they say, helps regulate blood sugar, control cravings and keep hunger at bay.

As long as you choose the right foods and watch portion sizes, "grazing" throughout the day can help you lose weight while keeping you energized. But it's not for everyone -- especially if you have trouble controlling the amount you eat or if you don’t have time to plan and prepare and healthy snacks and meals.

Hunger is a dieter’s worst enemy. That gnawing feeling usually occurs between meals, when blood sugar levels drop. In theory, if you divide your daily calorie allotment into several small meals throughout the day, hunger won’t be an issue.

Jorge Cruise’s The 3 Hour Diet is one diet book that claims frequent small meals can rev up your metabolism and help you burn calories. But while eating more frequently seems to help some people control hunger, the scientific evidence indicates that there's nothing magical about it. Ultimately, what matters most is reducing your total calories -- regardless of the number of meals or snacks.

A review in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded there was no real weight loss advantage to eating six meals a day. Another study, in the British Journal of Nutrition, found no weight loss difference between dieters who ate their calories in three meals daily or six meals a day.
    What Should You Eat?

Eating more frequently could actually mean less nutrition and more calories if you don’t carefully plan out your snacks and meals.

Calorie requirements are determined by age, sex, physical activity levels, and weight loss goals. Most adults need about 1,500-2,200 calories for weight loss, unless they're very active. (See WebMD's Food and Fitness Planner to calculate your own calorie requirements.)

For maximum satisfaction, each mini-meal or snack should include lean- or low-fat protein, fiber, and a little healthy fat. For good nutrition, try to include at least one fruit or veggie in each mini-meal.

Good protein sources include lean meat, seafood, low-fat dairy (yogurt, cheese, milk), eggs, nuts, beans, and soy. Fiber-rich foods include whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and beans. Healthy fats come from vegetable oils, avocados, nuts, and fatty fish.

If you want to lose weight eating several times a day, you must control your portions. Be careful of foods that are easy to overeat, like cheese, pasta, nuts and any of your favorite foods. WebMD’s Portion Size Plate tool can show you what correct serving sizes look like.

Eating six mini-meals a day can be a challenge when you're away from home or otherwise not preparing your own meals. When eating out, opt for simply prepared foods without sauces. To keep portions in check, take home part of your food for another meal, or simply order a salad and an appetizer.

Eating smaller meals more often provides an excellent opportunity to eat a healthier diet. Shifting your focus from high-calorie snacks to balanced mini-meals could be exactly what you need to help you whittle your waistline.

But eating three squares is also a perfectly healthy way to eat and lose weight. So choose the meal plan that works best for your lifestyle. As long as your meals are well-distributed through the day, and you never go more than 4-5 hours without food, you can reach your weight loss goals with three, four, five, or six meals a day.

Kathleen Zelman, MPH, RD, is director of nutrition for WebMD. Her opinions and conclusions are her own.

Now read carefully and not into what you are reading and STOP! polluting the forums with your half *kitten* knowledge of a subject. Also the warrior diet has been around for a while didnt just pop up when you invented it on this site.

Great advice man, tell people to eat multiple times a day causing spikes in insulin which stores fat. The purpose of this 6 meals a day thing is to stop people from being hungry? Hunger causes releases of Growth hormone, which burns a lot of fat.

So once again, talk what you know, don't be a parrot.

Since "YOUR AUTHORITY" is right. Here is the verifying facts that hunger increases growth hormone.
    http://endo.endojournals.org/content/145/8/3731.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824650/

Do I really have to post about insulin storing fat, and eating multiple times a day increases insulin? It's common sense now.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    <---- this is what eating 6 times a day might do to you....
  • leighton1245
    Options

WebMD Expert Column

What Should You Eat?

[/quote]

Great advice man, tell people to eat multiple times a day causing spikes in insulin which stores fat. The purpose of this 6 meals a day thing is to stop people from being hungry? Hunger causes releases of Growth hormone, which burns a lot of fat.

So once again, talk what you know, don't be a parrot.

Since "YOUR AUTHORITY" is right. Here is the verifying facts that hunger increases growth hormone.
    http://endo.endojournals.org/content/145/8/3731.abstract
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824650/

Do I really have to post about insulin storing fat, and eating multiple times a day increases insulin? It's common sense now.
    [/quote]

So explain to me what spikes makes you insulin spike eating correct? <
    eating in a large amount makes your insulin spike twice as much.

Also if there is someone that has a PHD I would much rather take a suggestion from them then a self proclaimed fitness expert.

You also want to talk about HGH right well here is what.

Effects of growth hormone on the tissues of the body can generally be described as anabolic (building up). Like most other protein hormones, GH acts by interacting with a specific receptor on the surface of cells.

Increased height during childhood is the most widely known effect of GH. Height appears to be stimulated by at least two mechanisms:
    Because polypeptide hormones are not fat-soluble, they cannot penetrate sarcolemma. Thus, GH exerts some of its effects by binding to receptors on target cells, where it activates the MAPK/ERK pathway. Through this mechanism GH directly stimulates division and multiplication of chondrocytes of cartilage.
    GH also stimulates, through the JAK-STAT signaling pathway, the production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF-1, formerly known as somatomedin C), a hormone homologous to proinsulin. The liver is a major target organ of GH for this process and is the principal site of IGF-1 production. IGF-1 has growth-stimulating effects on a wide variety of tissues. Additional IGF-1 is generated within target tissues, making it what appears to be both an endocrine and an autocrine/paracrine hormone. IGF-1 also has stimulatory effects on osteoblast and chondrocyte activity to promote bone growth.

In addition to increasing height in children and adolescents, growth hormone has many other effects on the body:

Increases calcium retention, and strengthens and increases the mineralization of bone
    Increases muscle mass through sarcomere hyperplasia
    Promotes lipolysis
    Increases protein synthesis
    Stimulates the growth of all internal organs excluding the brain <
    This might be the reason you are grasping what im telling you lack of GH
    Plays a role in homeostasis
    Reduces liver uptake of glucose
    Promotes gluconeogenesis in the liver
    Contributes to the maintenance and function of pancreatic islets
    Stimulates the immune system

Is there anything else you would like me to spell out for you? please keep the non-sense coming.

I forgot to include info on insulin spike you are correct eating does cause your insulin to spike but depending on your diet. If your frequent small meals are loaded with nothing but sugars and carbs, then yes its bad for you. Your body breaks down carbs through metabolic processes to make the carbs into sugar (glucose), then releases insulin to "tell" the body to store those sugars. If you eat the refined sugar (i.e. candy bars, cookies (seen you eat them) then those earlier metabolic processes are bypassed and your body gets flooded quickly with insulin. Under most circumstances, your body is able to handle this insulin spike, but frequently eating sugar and carbs causes too many insulin spikes and could lead to diabetes as your beta cells get burned out (how fast your beta cells burn out is genetic ; some faster than others). Oh, and your beta cells can never regenerate naturally once they burn out.

If you are going to spout off about a topic please post all complete information about what you are talking about.
  • registers
    Options
    <---- this is what eating 6 times a day might do to you....

It might be possible to get better results doing a form of IF.
  • registers
    Options
    to the guy who typed a lot. Yes, you want insulin spike at the right time, when your glycogen stores are low, not when they're full. That's why i eat one time a day, in the evening.
  • leighton1245
    Options
    to the guy who typed a lot. Yes, you want insulin spike at the right time, when your glycogen stores are low, not when they're full. That's why i eat one time a day, in the evening.

You obviously are reading what is type but doesnt seem like any of its sinking in, plan and simple your body adapts to insulin spikes and no matter when you eat if you eat to many sugary or carb loaded foods at once it causes your body to store them as fat thus causing NO weight LOSS at all and is a good way to start you way down the road of diabetes if you do this for a prolonged time.

JUST INCASE YOU MISSED THE LAST PART on need to reread it here it is again. Please read it then STOP read it again and then think very carefully about what you post next.

I forgot to include info on insulin spike you are correct eating does cause your insulin to spike but depending on your diet. If your frequent small meals are loaded with nothing but sugars and carbs, then yes its bad for you. Your body breaks down carbs through metabolic processes to make the carbs into sugar (glucose), then releases insulin to "tell" the body to store those sugars. If you eat the refined sugar (i.e. candy bars, cookies (seen you eat them) then those earlier metabolic processes are bypassed and your body gets flooded quickly with insulin. Under most circumstances, your body is able to handle this insulin spike, but frequently eating sugar and carbs causes too many insulin spikes and could lead to diabetes as your beta cells get burned out (how fast your beta cells burn out is genetic ; some faster than others). Oh, and your beta cells can never regenerate naturally once they burn out.

You are hurting your body and i feel bad for you that you actually believe that this is a viable way to loose weight and hope as a healthy person myself cause stop the spread of false or partial misleading information like this.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat, right?
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    Cris not once have i said "don't eat." I am against long term fasting. That doesn't mean I don't believe in it. I wouldn't long term fast to lose weight. Somedays I eat 3000 calories within 1hr, with peanut butter cups, and cookies. I'll classify this as eating whatever i want. If people read this and think "oh he eats whatever he wants all the time" no i don't. I have specific days for certain biochemical goals.

In your defense cris. I also think a big part of it, it's for human nature to prolong their life span. Throughout time this has been true.

Please aware us on what "biochemical goals" are served by your eating "3000 calories within 1 hr, with peanut butter cups, and cookies".
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    glad to see I'm not the only one who "ate back" exercise calories and gained. before MFP, i ate 1200 calories whether I exercised or not, which i did religiously every day and still do, and consisently lost weight. with MFP, it adds my exercise calories back in and i'm allowed to eat even more calories which i caught myself doing. i gained weight! how frustrating! i'll keep using MVP but i'm not allowing myself extra food according to calories burned during exercise.