Lindsay Brin's 60 Day Slim Down and workout videos

Options
I just started Lindsay Brin's 60 Day Slim Down this Saturday. As you can imagine it is a 60 day program but it uses 4 of her DVDs that can be purchased separately and used individually. So far I am really enjoying the program and was looking for others who: 1) have done or are doing the 60DS or 2) have done or are doing any of Lindsay's workout videos. Hopefully some people mat join me on this thread! :tongue:

I really have enjoyed the Bootcamp workouts (I have only done 2 so far) and today's workout was Core Metabolic Jumpstart I am somewhat torn about it. The workout is very short (26 minutes start to finish) but it gets your heart rate up and it is mostly compound moves with a single dumbbell or weighted ball. The moves are like nothing I have ever done before and they are very abs centered. Lots of twisting with the core tight while doing some sort of squat action. As I was doing the workout, I could feel it in my muscles but it still felt sort of awkward. The ab stuff was like where you do just a small contraction with your abs as you twist and it was hard to know if I was contracting enough to get the full benefit.

There were some cardio moves that I was surprised to see in there such as in and out abs (Insanity term) and burpees. My legs are sore now and if I my abs are sore tomorrow then I would say it is definitely a keeper overall. If not, I will probably retire it after the program ends.

Pros:
Focuses on the abs
Gets the heart rate up with cardio
Felt it in my arms with the use of the weight

Cons:
Wish the workout was a little longer (like maybe 30-35 minutes total)
Only 1 workout on the whole disk - not a great deal for the price of a single DVD. I think she should have done this like the 30 Day Shred where there are 3 separate workouts on the disk that are the same style but get progressively harder.

So I am up in the air at the moment but I will see how my abs feel tomorrow!

Replies

• mamareese
    mamareese Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Bumpin' you for a little thread love!!
  • jennieodwyer
    jennieodwyer Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mamareese! Feel free to join in with your thoughts on Bootcamp 2!

Today was a rest day. I get three this week and I feel so spoiled :laugh: HOWEVER my thighs are KILLING me from yesterday's workout. I really thought that it would be my arms that were sore (and I was hoping my abs) but my thighs unbelievably sore. I guess all that one legged squat business really works. Now I just look like I am walking all bow legged! Will be doing some power walking at lunch but taking it pretty easy. I really hoped that I would have had some more soreness in my abs since I really need to work on them and I am not sure if I am contracting enough when doing the program but I will keep trying!

Tomorrow is weigh day. First time since being on this program. So hopefully I will see some results. :bigsmile:
  • mamareese
    Options
    I will definitely throw my thoughts in...tomorrow. Today was strength training for me. But tomorrow...well tomorrow, Lindsay is calming my name and my abs are begging her to work them hard! Going to figure out what my plan of attack is so I can choose my workouts quickly in the morning and get right at it!

About the sore abs...I said to DH that it seems no matter how many different ab moves I do, I still don't get the type of soreness that I can feel in other areas (ie. legs are you pointed out). Though he had no theories, he did say he finds the same to be true for him. So we'll see if regardless of soreness, we still find success!
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    If you want to really feel it in your abs do as many FULL sit ups as you can in 1 minute and see how your abs feel in the morning. I had not done full sit ups (arms across the chest, high school gym style) for years but that was part of the Fit Test. I was shocked how sore my whole core was the next day. Give it shot :wink:
  • mamareese
    Options
    I'll take that challenge!! Bringing back high school sit ups now too! Man something about old school being cool. :laugh:
  • mamareese
    Options
    The first time I did the DVD I thought...how do you follow Insanity with this? I thought about scraping it and then I realize 1) I needed to give it longer before kickin' it out the door 2) Jennie's also doing it and has good things to say so I kept it in my schedule. Now that I've actually given it a full shot this morning, I realize it's actually pretty awesome. You start the same warm up every time, which isn't as intense as Insanity (obviously) and I do feel a little backward doing some of the moves but when I looked at my HRM I realized it was right where I wanted it to be!! The middle of my range if about 140 and I was around 135 which for a warm up seems good to me. I think the difference is with Insanity I was always OUT of my range and I got adjusted to that. However, from what I've researched what matters is staying IN your range and I was throughout the workout. You do the warm up, pick a core workout, then a cardio and a cool down. I opted for 2 cardios, 1 straight cardio and 1 cardio toning (which admittedly I didn't finish the whole thing). I like the combination and the fact that I can pick and choose depending on how I felt. For example, when I got into the cardio toning I realized I was WAYYY sorer from yesterday's strength training than I thought when I got out of bed this morning. She reminds you often about 'hollowing' your stomach and such to make sure you keep concentrating on that core. And that's good...because I forget, often! Originally I was going to do it 1x a week with the kettlebell workout the other day (since I do the strength training 3x a week) and keep 2 days off. I may keep 2 days off but the great part about her DVD is YOU choose how long to do it. So potentially I could do a Jillian Michaels DVD because...you got it...I love a kettlebell!! and still have time to do the Lindsay Brin DVD. Leaving me with a full of hour of working out. So my verdict on 'liking' and sticking with the program...is definitely. Now, give me a month or 2 and I'll let you know if my body agrees with my mind that this DVD is going to work!! laugh
  • mamareese
    Options
    I did do the 1 minute FULL sit ups today....along with JM's 6 week 6 pack and the Lindsay Boot Camp 2. So I'm betting my abs will be talking to me later! You are right...I totally forgot what a difference a FULL sit up can make!!
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    How many did you get done? I only got 20 in a minute but it was feeling it for like 2 days. Its like I could do 1000 crunches and not get the same soreness that I did from those 20 full sit ups! I repeat the fit test on day 60 so hopefully I see some improvement. :happy: I can't wait to hear how you feel tomorrow!

Today was weigh day for me and completion of the first week of the program. I lost 1 pound which I was pleased with since my eating could have been better over the long weekend. So one week down and one pound lost. Yea!
  • mamareese
    Options
    That's success! A pound in a week is awesome! She was so cute this morning saying 'no BLTs, you know Bites, Licks, Tastes and you'll see a change'. I think that mindset that you have to PUSH like Insanity all of the time is finally moving out of my brain. It's such a change in what we are used to I think it'll definitely keep our bodies guessing.

As for the sit ups, oddly enough 20 was what I got too. I lost my interval timer (sigh) so I had to keep checking my HRM watch which isn't easy when you are pumping up and down like that! I think I'll keep this little challenge as part of the schedule just to see how many I can increase too!! Come on sore abs, I'm waiting to hear from you! :-)
  • mamareese
    Options
    That's success! A pound in a week is awesome! She was so cute this morning saying 'no BLTs, you know Bites, Licks, Tastes and you'll see a change'. I think that mindset that you have to PUSH like Insanity all of the time is finally moving out of my brain. It's such a change in what we are used to I think it'll definitely keep our bodies guessing.

As for the sit ups, oddly enough 20 was what I got too. I lost my interval timer (sigh) so I had to keep checking my HRM watch which isn't easy when you are pumping up and down like that! I think I'll keep this little challenge as part of the schedule just to see how many I can increase too!! Come on sore abs, I'm waiting to hear from you! :-)
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    I am glad to hear that you are liking the Bootcamp DVD more. I was really thrown by the mix and match concept but now I am really liking it. Once we get into month 2 of the program Lindsay has us doing warm up, a core interval, three cardio intervals, another core interval then cool down!! This should be interesting because I was worn out the last time just doing 2 cardio intervals and 1 core interval!! I think maybe one day I will do it a full 60 minutes to see how the calorie burn matches Insanity. That should be 4 cardio intervals plus 3 core intervals with warmup cool down. Should be interesting!! Can't wait to hear about your abs (and back) tomorrow) :laugh:
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    Ok I take it all back! I did the CMJ workout again this morning and this time I really focused on keeping my arms straight and my core tight and WOW it was killer!! I think I was cheating the last time I did it by using momentum to do the work instead of my muscles. I even had to put the weight down briefly to keep doing one of the moves. So needless to say but I got my butt kicked today. I also did the CFS DVD as well but that was really nothing new. Tomorrow is either 30 minutes of interval cardio (I do the elliptical) or more of her Bootcamp DVD. I haven't decided yet which I will do but hopefully I will be nice and sore tomorrow :laugh:
  • mamareese
    Options
    I'm going to venture a guess you did elliptical!! I've got Boot camp planned for tomorrow morning and an ab workout. I still can't figure out what to do to feel sore there! I did the 1 min of full sit ups, 100 mix of crunchs, and then that bench thing at the gym where you hook your feet and do sit ups. No soreness...I even tried to following Lindsay's cues in each move. I don't know...I'll keep trying!!

Todays my rest day but I'm looking forward to mixing up a new workout from the Boot camp DVD!
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    You must just have abs of steel! I was dying the next day after the full sit ups. I was alittle sore after the CMJ but nothing compared to the full sit ups. I feel they are under there and crying to get out! Just have to get the fat layer off them :laugh:

Well I am on day 10 of my program. Yesterday was a cardio day. In this program, on certain days, you can chose between doing a cardio portion of the DVD or doing a cardio interval workout that she provides (it is very similar to C25k training). Since running outside is not really an option for me I use substitute the elliptical for the cardio interval workout. So that was what yesterday was: 35 minutes on the elliptical. Insanity really improved my cardiovascular fitness because my endurance and speed on the elliptical has gone through the roof!

Today was a few intervals on the Lindsay Brin Bootcamp DVD. The floor work and body resistance intervals were the same as I have done before but this time we added in the Body Pump Interval which uses light and heavy weights. This interval is also not a workout for total sissies. There were several compound moves like you see in 30DS (lunges with shoulder raises, etc) and LOTS of squats. Seriously this woman loves to work the quads!!!!!! I need to get a set of heavier weights since I only have a set of 5 pounders and that is fine for the light but I need probably a set of 10 for the heavier weights. I really like these intervals because they go so fast and there is no repeating :happy:

Tomorrow is a rest day so I get to sleep in :happy:
  • mamareese
    Options
    If I have abs of steel there are still hiding under a layer of fat!! :laugh: :laugh: I really trying to concentrate on form because I know abs of steel aren't hiding!! :tongue: I could feel the soreness from the JM 6 week 6 pack workout that I did yesterday, today while I did the 1 minute full sits ups. So I was thankful for that. I think it might be more of, even though I switch what type of ab work I do, I think I'm still working the same muscles. I had no idea there were SO friggin' many muscles in our stomach! When I did the JM workout yesterday, I could tell the difference between ab muscles that I do workout and those that I must not hit. So I've got to switch up what type I do...or so I'm convincing myself. :laugh:

I really loved Lindsay's Cardio workout with the kickboxing. So much so that I wanted to skip strength to do that one again! I stuck with my routine but if I have any energy (which is unlikely) I'm considering doing it tonight since it's only 10 minutes. It reminds me of the Kenpo X in P90x that I really enjoyed. Even when I stopped doing the 'program' of P90x I still stuck that DVD in my week because I love a good kick, punch combo!!

Explain Body Pump to me. I see people mention it but I'm not sure what it means. Is it cardio with weights?!
  • Aprilxlirpa
    Aprilxlirpa Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am just finishing up week 1 of this program. I LOVE it! I like that they are short but intense, esp with a 5 month old baby! I'm following the meal plan for a breastfeeding mom for lunch and dinner, and just trying to watch portions for dinner since my hubby and I do dinner together.
    So far, in the first week, I've lost 4 lbs. I started the program at 160 lbs, and my end goal (which I realize will probably take more than 60 days) is 140. So far, so good!
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    Yes, in Lindsay's version is it cardio and weights together. It is very similar to JM 30DS only there is no repeating but similar compound moves. You might be hearing other people talk about LesMill's Body Pump classes (I think they have trademarked the name BodyPump). I have never tried those classes but you can find more info about it at:
    http://www.lesmills.com/southcentral/bodypump/about-bodypump.aspx
    and you can actually see the moves at:
    http://www.lesmills.com/southcentral/bodypump/learn-the-moves.aspx

I am so glad you are enjoying the kickboxing workouts. I have enjoyed all the workouts in the Bootcamp DVD I definately think it is a keeper and look forward to also doing the DVD you have. All the squatting and lunging I was doing yesterday really made my butt sore!!! And my chest is sore from the upper body work so I am pleased with the workout yesterday. Its so nice to mix things up and feel the burn :laugh: Glad today is a rest day because I am right back at the Bootcamp DVD tomorrow!

So my measurements were down this 10 day period as well as my weight so I was pleased. Surprisingly my calf measurements were up. Not sure if that was a fluke or what. Ripped legs here I come! haha!
  • jennieodwyer
    Options
    I am just finishing up week 1 of this program. I LOVE it! I like that they are short but intense, esp with a 5 month old baby! I'm following the meal plan for a breastfeeding mom for lunch and dinner, and just trying to watch portions for dinner since my hubby and I do dinner together.
    So far, in the first week, I've lost 4 lbs. I started the program at 160 lbs, and my end goal (which I realize will probably take more than 60 days) is 140. So far, so good!

Welcome!! So glad we have found another Lindsay Brin person out there. Four pounds in one week is AWESOME! Looks like your weight goal is very similar to mine. I starting with MFP at 180 but got down to 152 when I started this program. My goal currently is 145 but I think I am going to end up dropping it to 140. I am 5'7" and my baby just turned 6 months old (our first). I am also still breastfeeding.

I really like the workouts as well (especially the bootcamp workouts) and I like that there is varierty with the cardio options as well as 2 rest days :wink:
  • mamareese
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation. I've seen reference to it but I'll have to check out those links. Great job on the measurements! That's awesome. The calf thing I don't know about...I hadn't thought to measure mine...I have larger calves to begin with...either way you'll be rockin' rock hard legs in the upcoming summer months in no time with all the squats and lunges!! Sounds awesome though...I could use a sore butt. That's an area I need to focus on!!
  • lovetowrite73
    lovetowrite73 Posts: 1,244 Member
    Options
    I wanted to post in here so that I can follow your journey and provide support!!! :happy: