Options

Replies

• CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    18%
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.

Just bumping my comparison pictures to show how body fat plays a roll. My muscles look much bigger without the fat. Initially my measurements all went up because of water retention and dropped as my body fat dropped.
    damn that's pretty awesome. I feel shameful having posted mine compared to these LOL

good work my friend!!

I'd also like to point out- I'm pretty sure that that second picture you aren't meaty enough for 18% unless you are hiding it somewhere- that looks awfully lean for 18% ... looks closer to like 15/16 (bestie went with 14/15) I think you are grossly overestimating that body fat my love!!! :)
    [/quote]
    I don't. She's probably a fair weight with those muscles. When I was 120lbs I was about 17%. I look more defined in many places now at 130, yet I'm 19%.

It hit me that BF percentage, also, isn't the be all end all of what looks good. I think I look better now at this weight then I did lighter at a lighter BF. Not because I look squishier, because I don't think I do.

When it boils down though, ignoring BF% and weight, I think what looks good on me is muscle definition.
    hiking->lifting
    118lb->130lb
    17%->19% BF
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    2 of me at 130 without lifting (one with a high exposure to show how flabby my butt was)
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    18%
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.

Just bumping my comparison pictures to show how body fat plays a roll. My muscles look much bigger without the fat. Initially my measurements all went up because of water retention and dropped as my body fat dropped.
    damn that's pretty awesome. I feel shameful having posted mine compared to these LOL

good work my friend!!

I'd also like to point out- I'm pretty sure that that second picture you aren't meaty enough for 18% unless you are hiding it somewhere- that looks awfully lean for 18% ... looks closer to like 15/16 (bestie went with 14/15) I think you are grossly overestimating that body fat my love!!! :)
    I don't. She's probably a fair weight with those muscles. When I was 120lbs I was about 17%. I look more defined in many places now at 130, yet I'm 19%.

It hit me that BF percentage, also, isn't the be all end all of what looks good. I think I look better now at this weight then I did lighter at a lighter BF. Not because I look squishier, because I don't think I do.

When it boils down though, ignoring BF% and weight, I think what looks good on me is muscle definition.

The body fat is on, just not evenly distributed. I'm 5'9" and I weigh 150 pounds. Calipers of course measure much lower, but they still show that I am very lean in my upper and I hold more fat in my legs.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I know I really should let others have their own preferences. I should. But....

I just can't understand why soooo many women do not like muscles. Why wouldn't we want to look strong? I blame society. Strength and health is valued in men but not women. Why? Doesn't that bother women? Shouldn't we want to be strong just to spite them?

Have you ever been in the situation where you're horsing around with your guy friend and to your surprise you find you can overpower him? Well, some women find themselves in this situation and it embarrasses them.

Weird women. I picked my husband up and carried him into the bedroom last night. Not a single complaint was uttered nor a moment of embarrassment felt.

He's a whole 155 pounds, so he's not *that* heavy. We've been trying to put some weight on him but so far he just holds steady. Lucky *kitten*.
  • CoderGal
    Options

I just can't understand why soooo many women do not like muscles. Why wouldn't we want to look strong? I blame society. Strength and health is valued in men but not women. Why? Doesn't that bother women? Shouldn't we want to be strong just to spite them?

Have you ever been in the situation where you're horsing around with your guy friend and to your surprise you find you can overpower him? Well, some women find themselves in this situation and it embarrasses them.

Weird women. I picked my husband up and carried him into the bedroom last night. Not a single complaint was uttered nor a moment of embarrassment felt.

He's a whole 155 pounds, so he's not *that* heavy. We've been trying to put some weight on him but so far he just holds steady. Lucky *kitten*.
    Pshhh you're doing it wrong:
    *girl picks up guy to bring back to batgirl cave*
    *guys testosterone thermometer goes up in fear of being outmanned and picks up batgirl instead*
    *batgirls heart flutters at the manlyness and suddenly plays weak with excitement, not to make him feel better, but to get her way*
    *batgirl gets what she wants and if she doesn't she picks up guy and throws him away*
    *nods*
  • bellesouth18
    bellesouth18 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/determining-your-body-type.html

Check out these body types to determine yours. I haven't read through the posts--hope it hasn't been posted already.
  • jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Clothing shopping could easily be one reason. Off the rack clothing does not assume much muscularity for women.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Pshhh you're doing it wrong:
    *girl picks up guy to bring back to batgirl cave*
    *guys testosterone thermometer goes up in fear of being outmanned and picks up batgirl instead*
    *batgirls heart flutters at the manlyness and suddenly plays weak with excitement, not to make him feel better, but to get her way*
    *batgirl gets what she wants and if she doesn't she picks up guy and throws him away*
    *nods*

IDK. Seems like a lot of work. I'm a simple kinda woman.

Girl: Me Girl. You man. *picks up man* No talking. *carries away* *flex*
  • CoderGal
    Options
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/determining-your-body-type.html

Check out these body types to determine yours. I haven't read through the posts--hope it hasn't been posted already.
    When I try to figure out something about my body, I make sure it's from a site called dummies.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

This is really HIS problems not hers. He has a HUGE natural advantage when it comes to strength, if he's not using it, sucks to be him. My husband is the same height and weight as me but no way could I ever overpower him.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Clothing shopping could easily be one reason. Off the rack clothing does not assume much muscularity for women.

I do have issues with clothes fitting. Pants are too tight in the quads and butt but lose in the waist. Shirts are too tight in the shoulders and arms but too big in the waist again. But again this is the clothing's problem not mine. And really, why would I complain about a small waist? I'm in the market for a good tailor...
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

This is really HIS problems not hers. He has a HUGE natural advantage when it comes to strength, if he's not using it, sucks to be him. My husband is the same height and weight as me but no way could I ever overpower him.

Agreed. It is the guy that should be embarrassed.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

No no no, guys always lose on purpose. It is their goal to have the woman on top of them.

That's really never been my thing. I guess some guys like that. Different strokes . . .
  • CoderGal
    Options

No no no, guys always lose on purpose. It is their goal to have the woman on top of them.

That's really never been my thing. I guess some guys like that. Different strokes . . .
    and then we figured out who the doms were
    tumblr_lpqu4xTVEB1qfq0gno1_500.gif
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to say but you women who think you gain muscle too fast or the muscle you have makes you look manly... you don't look manly. You don't even have that much muscle, and I sincerely doubt you can lift that much. You just have a distorted self image. :ohwell:
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    At no point did I claim to have made any muscle gains at all. Just simply showing progress pics from a couple months of starting to lift and the difference loss of body fat makes. Thank you for the few who said something nice.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

hiking->lifting
    118lb->130lb
    17%->19% BF
    photo.jpgphoto.jpg
    2 of me at 130 without lifting (one with a high exposure to show how flabby my butt was)
    photo.jpgphoto.jpgShe's hot!

I totally agree BF% isn't the end all be all- to me it's important in my quest for a certain appearance- yes -I want visible abs. So I pay attention to these things- ANNNNND I absolutely also agree with the muscle and definition and HAWT. :D

I think any one who lifts and has ANY muscle definition is doing a good thing. That was by no means a dig on her- I just think with that kind of defnition she's pushing 15% But as it's hard to properly guess based on one single flexed back picture- it's taking a stab in the dark- and it's merely for "musing" purposes.

I just think her BF is lower than 18% shrug- that's all not meant to be an insult LOL I'm totally cool with it!

Most people- on average grossly underestimate the body fat they truly have on their body when they think they are at 15- usually they are closer to like 20... and the lower you get- the more obvious this becomes. I'd say it's particularly prevalent around our BF%- I still consider myself to be in the 20's and Id' say we are within 2-5% of each other looking at that ab picture.

The body fat is on, just not evenly distributed. I'm 5'9" and I weigh 150 pounds. Calipers of course measure much lower, but they still show that I am very lean in my upper and I hold more fat in my legs.
    Okay- I figured that might be the case- knowing (As I said 3 lines up- it's hard to determine based on one single back picture- as noted- either way it looks good.
    I'm 58" and I definitely carry body heavy as well (THANK GOD- love mai back :D) So that would make sense still being at 18% there.. After next season I'll probably coming into youre level and I'll still probably be high despite being super lean up top- can be annoying- I want more hammy definition!!!

Anyway's I was just musing- you look great. :D

Just thinking- and I'm pre-coffee so be fair warned!!!
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options
    You guys aren't alone. I have broad shoulders and calves like a friggin' linebacker.

lol, same! Even when I was thinner I still couldn't wear regular boots and had to order "extra wide" ones. SIGH! It doesn't help that I just have a large frame. Damn my german side! I wish I had my smaller Japanese side :) My younger sister is like the complete opposite body type. I'm 5'9 and fairly athletic/large build. My sister is 5'4 and like 115lbs. She is a STICK.

Joining the club, only my heritage doesn't even have the Japanese side to balance things out - I'm all Viking or Scottish Highlander, plus a teeny bit of French Huguenot which gave me small-for-my-frame hands, nose and ears, and a mere size 42 foot, but doesn't seem to have any effect on the rest of me! I'm 5'8", with a rib cage wider and deeper than most men's, and shoulders etc to match. Muscle definition appears on me absurdly fast (not because I have particularly low BF% either), and every time I've had a personal training session, the trainer just gawps when my leg press weight is significantly more than my body-weight.

My mother and sister are the same - my sister's just shy of six foot and plays ice-hockey on the men's team for fear of squishing the girls on the female team, and my mother wears a size 44 shoe and has a hand span of an octave and a half... I don't think we look particularly 'manly' though - just the very strong women we are, though none of us will ever fit the delicate, streamlined, feminine-female mold!
  • HollieDollieeeex
    HollieDollieeeex Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I got really into weights and Les Mills BodyPump.. Was doing it a fair few times a week with heavy weights (no other women in the class were lifting what I was lifting & I wasn't taking anything apart from the odd protein shake here and there)

The long and short of it is I became 'bulky' my upper body, shoulders, back and arms was just horrible when I had clothes on, it made me look much bigger and stockier than I actually am, thats the worst thing you want to be. I have had people say to me "weights don't make you bulk" But that's B**** because it happened to me.

Everyone's different.

I used to swim for county so have a broad back and shoulders to begin with. I agree that women that do bikini competitions look amazing with muscle, but that look just doesn't happen on me, it's like they're Lifting goddesses and I'm the bulky hulk.

Genetically my brother and dad are HUGE from weight training and don't seem to lose muscle fast if they ease off on the training (my brothers just had a shoulder operation but still looks massive, even though he's been out of training for 6 months)

Much to other peoples disgust I have now stopped weights and get my strength from other classes such as Les Mills BodyBalance, Pilates and YOGA.

If you're not happy don't listen to anyone else, it's your body