• jfrankic
    jfrankic Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    So this the thread everyone talkin' bout! :drinker:

Mayra, we're all now taking about usmcmp's incredible back!! :SMILE:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    My legs bulk up really quickly I just use less weight and more reps. It helps define them without the muscle getting to big. I'm just a big girl and came to accept it.
    How does it do that?
  • CoderGal
    Options
    1377571935.jpg?t=1377571936

1377750952.jpg

How long would you guess I have been lifting? Arms has only been three months and I am up to 15-20 pounds right now. Legs has been all body weight exercises.

I would also like to add this is all while at calorie deficit.

I actually think your legs look beautiful!

i agree, muscular legs are more attractive to me than bird legs. I've always had muscular legs and wouldn't trade them for anything!
    I agree, and I have bird legs. I have no idea why, but hamstrings are hot lol. And the quads on the girl above look fantastic. Very feminine I want to photoshop a hot skirt on them :p
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to see the pics of the bald spots these women undoubtedly must get as a result of having such high testosterone levels.

Sorry, no pics, but I do have a friend who doesn't even lift but plays several recreational sports and gets very muscular. She gave up volleyball because her arms were becoming too mannish for her taste (possibly not for others, however).

She is naturally slim (underweight actually) and has been for the 25 years that I've known her. And, yes, she does have quite noticeable facial hair, although it's white/blonde.

I could stand a little bulk, but all I ever achieve is an unattractive stringy/wiry look, especially my forearms.
  • CoderGal
    Options
    I'd also like to see the pics of the bald spots these women undoubtedly must get as a result of having such high testosterone levels.

Sorry, no pics, but I do have a friend who doesn't even lift but plays several recreational sports and gets very muscular. She gave up volleyball because her arms were becoming too mannish for her taste (possibly not for others, however).

She is naturally slim (underweight actually) and has been for the 25 years that I've known her. And, yes, she does have quite noticeable facial hair, although it's white/blonde.

I could stand a little bulk, but all I ever achieve is an unattractive stringy/wiry look, especially my forearms.
    And you don't think that has anything to do with her being underweight and doing sports which easily create a deficit which would cause a loss of fat making her look more defined? Or doing resistance training (sports) so if she was on a surplus yes, she'd likely gain muscle over fat...she'd have to gain something...and when you're underweight a bit of fat starts to easily look like muscle 'bulk'. Genes also play a part here. I didn't do resistance stuff really, and wish I was more blessed in the genetic department.
    -previously underweight girl
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

This isn't putting on muscle. This is advance activity which causing her to lose bodyfat which is increasing her muscle definition and probably her vascularity. This is NOT the same as "putting on muscle."
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options

And you don't think that has anything to do with her being underweight and doing sports which easily create a deficit and doing resistance training (sports) so if she was on a surplus yes, she'd likely gain muscle over fat...she'd have to gain something...and when you're underweight a bit of fat starts to easily look like muscle 'bulk'. Genes also play a part here. I didn't do resistance stuff really, and wish I was more blessed in the genetic department.
    -previously underweight girl

Dunno -- she's never had to worry about weight gain so she's never been on any kind of calorie restriction. She eats fairly healthy food, but just because she's getting sensible in her old age, lol. And she does enjoy alcohol quite regularly.

All I know is she had guns, and shoulders like a linebacker. Which did look kind of odd, given her small size. There were blouses she could no longer wear because the sleeves were too tight.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about getting stronger really quickly, which some do. I think the OP was talking about actually putting on bulky muscles, which MOST women don't. My college roommate, however, was an exception. She used to go running while carrying a walkman -- yes, it was in the stone age -- and she had to alternate arms to avoid building up one huge bicep. I kid you not. Wish I had a pic to show.

Jesus h christ what utter nonsense.

And you know this because you went to college with us, right?
  • MissKitty9
    MissKitty9 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you put on muscle quickly, you put on muscle quickly. That's how your body is. There's no point in longing for something different--- be happy that you have visual evidence of your strength, & then stop worrying about what you're "supposed" to look like

Actually, strength training is a choice. If you don't want to be more muscular you can choose not to lift heavy, or to not lift at all. There are tradeoffs. If you care about performance and strength, you might not reach your full potential without looking more muscular. It's a dilemma for some athletes whose sports demand looking very slim.

Right, I was more just simplifying it because so many here seem to think they're getting bulky NOT from strength training (lifting pretty light, it seems), but other stuff, & I just don't believe them... I feel like what they think is "bulky" actually isn't at all (& that's what the pics say too) So my post was basically: be happy with your body, stop making up things that aren't even there ("bulk")
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    I swore for years that I put on muscle fast. As soon as I started lifting my measurements and weight went up. My clothes fit tighter and I looked much bigger. Now as a competitive bodybuilder I realize it was mostly swelling and fat, not huge muscles. My legs were the worse and I find now that I have low body fat that's where I store most of my fat.
    In these two pictures I have the same amount of lean mass, but different body fat.
    25%
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    18%
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.

This is AWESOME!! Much more definition, no more mass. It's all about the body fat folks!

Do you have a back flexing picture at 25% BF, too? I would love to see the flexing comparisons. You have a gorgeous back, by the way. And arms. And shoulders!

Thank you! I love my back.
    Here's the closest I have. I think the top was around 22%.
    IMG_20130809_195151_zps202d6e0e.jpg

Amazing!

:blushing: Thank you!

AWESOME....my goal.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about getting stronger really quickly, which some do. I think the OP was talking about actually putting on bulky muscles, which MOST women don't. My college roommate, however, was an exception. She used to go running while carrying a walkman -- yes, it was in the stone age -- and she had to alternate arms to avoid building up one huge bicep. I kid you not. Wish I had a pic to show.

Hey, I met some aliens once in college. Great guys really. We did some shots, a couple of keg stands, and they helped me with my paper on John Rawls. I'm sorry you weren't there to witness that.
  • CoderGal
    Options

Hey, I met some aliens once in college. Great guys really. We did some shots, a couple of keg stands, and they helped me with my paper on John Rawls. I'm sorry you weren't there to witness that.
    maybe she used that hand for...you know....lots of other things....
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I know I really should let others have their own preferences. I should. But....

I just can't understand why soooo many women do not like muscles. Why wouldn't we want to look strong? I blame society. Strength and health is valued in men but not women. Why? Doesn't that bother women? Shouldn't we want to be strong just to spite them?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

Sounds like your alien friends are awesome.

So you're saying I'm making this up just for my own amusement?
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

maybe she used that hand for...you know....lots of other things....

No doubt...but wouldn't that BULK up her forearm?
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

My alien friends are real. :flowerforyou:
  • phatguerilla
    phatguerilla Posts: 188 Member
    Options

I don't think you made it up I just think you/her don't know what was happening in her body, most likely a localised inflammation and possibly a better mind-muscle connection with the arm that carried the walkman which made it easier for her to flex the muscle. She didn't build a noticeable muscular imbalance in her arm carrying a walkman.
  • 0somuchbetter0
    Options

I don't think you made it up I just think you/her don't know what was happening in her body, most likely a localised inflammation and possibly a better mind-muscle connection with the arm that carried the walkman which made it easier for her to flex the muscle. She didn't build a noticeable muscular imbalance in her arm carrying a walkman.

Duly chastised. Next time I feel like telling a silly and strange anecdote, I'll be sure to conduct a rigorous physiological study and run it by you and your professional peers for review.