Women who put on muscle fast

Options

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been in the situation where you're horsing around with your guy friend and to your surprise you find you can overpower him? Well, some women find themselves in this situation and it embarrasses them.
    Why on earth would I be embarrassed? I suppose he might be embarrassed, but that's not my problem. I'd probably say "You're breakin' my heart, a$$wipe." and then we'd both laugh ourselves silly over the Golden Child reference. Also, if I could best my husband, I'd probably enter a comp, because he's crazy-strong!:laugh:

yeah, my husband would take that as a sign that he needs to hit the weights, but he'd like it because he likes strong women.

I totally despair of this culture in which women believe that there's something wrong with being strong, or that it's unfeminine. It's ridiculous and also bad for women's mental health, because it's saying we're supposed to aspire to be weak and dependent instead of strong and independent. Weak and dependent is not conducive to good mental health.

But it's more than that.... we are not supposed to be weak. Throughout human evolution, natural selection has favoured strong individuals, both male and female. Men have more upper body strength due to evolving as hunters rather than gatherers, but palaeolithic women still had to lift and carry heavy loads, walk long distances including uphill while carrying children who are too small to walk far, and also be strong enough to defend themselves and their kids from animals or hostile humans while out gathering and the men were out hunting. In other words, not weak. If women were supposed to be weak, we'd have evolved to be weak and not have any muscles or the ability to become strong.

Viking women were the last line of defence if the village was attacked. The men would go out and fight off the invaders, but if the men were defeated and the invaders came into the village, then the women would be waiting for them to defend themselves and their children, and they would be armed.

Spartan girls were trained from a young age to fight, for similar reasons to why Viking women and girls learned how to fight and use weapons.

this whole "women are weak" things come from the last few centuries where rich women basically didn't do anything because they had servants to do housework, which in those days involved a lot of muscle, (imagine the arms of women who washed clothes for a living before washing machines were invented), and men dealt with the financial and business side of things, while all women did was tell the servants what to do and sit around looking pretty... rich women had weak muscles while poor women, who had to work for a living, e.g. washing rich women's clothes, had strong arms. And so this whole thing of women just sitting around looking pretty and requiring the help of men because they never did anything strenuous for their entire life was born. And women with muscles were looked down upon because it meant they did physical work for a living, same as why sun tans were looked down upon in the same era, because it meant you were out working in the fields all day, i.e. you were poor, not rich. Just as the sun tan has now become a status symbol because it means you can afford foreign holidays... well it's possible for us to change the culture so that women can reclaim our muscles as a sign that we are fit and strong and take care of our bodies, and that we're not afraid of a bit of physical labour.

Really, women should stop thinking that their physical strength and muscle is a bad thing!! If you're surrounded by people who are telling you that they don't like you because you have muscles.... well dump toxic people out of your life, because they're probably just jealous for the same reason why sometimes when you start to lose weight, some of your old friends get all unfriendly with you.... because it makes them feel insecure about themselves, their lifestyle, and the affect their lifestyle is having on their body. And real friends (and caring, supportive sexual partners) accept you for who you are, and aren't going to reject you because you have muscles. Men who don't like strong women.... maybe it's because they know they're weak and a strong woman makes them feel weak and makes them realise that they should be a lot stronger than they are... strong men generally don't have this problem, and tend to admire and be sexually attracted to strong women.

So really, don't let anyone feel that there is something *wrong* with having muscles and being strong. Whatever muscle gains you make as a woman without resorting to steroids, are gains that you are supposed to be able to make and muscle you're supposed to have as a woman. It's how you evolved. Maybe you have more neanderthal genes than average (they were stronger on average than Homo sapiens, but that doesn't mean Homo sapiens were/are weak)... maybe you are of Viking descent, and no matter what you're ethnic origin you're descended from women who needed to be strong to survive, because we all are, and you've inherited your strength from them. Be proud of it.

tl;dr - women are supposed to be strong because natural selection
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I got really into weights and Les Mills BodyPump.. Was doing it a fair few times a week with heavy weights (no other women in the class were lifting what I was lifting & I wasn't taking anything apart from the odd protein shake here and there)

The long and short of it is I became 'bulky' my upper body, shoulders, back and arms was just horrible when I had clothes on, it made me look much bigger and stockier than I actually am, thats the worst thing you want to be. I have had people say to me "weights don't make you bulk" But that's B**** because it happened to me.

Everyone's different.

I used to swim for county so have a broad back and shoulders to begin with. I agree that women that do bikini competitions look amazing with muscle, but that look just doesn't happen on me, it's like they're Lifting goddesses and I'm the bulky hulk.

Genetically my brother and dad are HUGE from weight training and don't seem to lose muscle fast if they ease off on the training (my brothers just had a shoulder operation but still looks massive, even though he's been out of training for 6 months)

Much to other peoples disgust I have now stopped weights and get my strength from other classes such as Les Mills BodyBalance, Pilates and YOGA.

If you're not happy don't listen to anyone else, it's your body

Cool story brah
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I got really into weights and Les Mills BodyPump.. Was doing it a fair few times a week with heavy weights (no other women in the class were lifting what I was lifting & I wasn't taking anything apart from the odd protein shake here and there)

The long and short of it is I became 'bulky' my upper body, shoulders, back and arms was just horrible when I had clothes on

No, you didn't.

Show us the pics and measurements to prove it, because if that happened while you weren't gaining weight then you are a marvel of biology.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been in the situation where you're horsing around with your guy friend and to your surprise you find you can overpower him? Well, some women find themselves in this situation and it embarrasses them.

Nope. I date men.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I know I really should let others have their own preferences. I should. But....

I just can't understand why soooo many women do not like muscles. Why wouldn't we want to look strong? I blame society. Strength and health is valued in men but not women. Why? Doesn't that bother women? Shouldn't we want to be strong just to spite them?

Weird women. I picked my husband up and carried him into the bedroom last night. Not a single complaint was uttered nor a moment of embarrassment felt.

He's a whole 155 pounds, so he's not *that* heavy. We've been trying to put some weight on him but so far he just holds steady. Lucky *kitten*.

Nice. Internet high-five.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I know I really should let others have their own preferences. I should. But....

I just can't understand why soooo many women do not like muscles. Why wouldn't we want to look strong? I blame society. Strength and health is valued in men but not women. Why? Doesn't that bother women? Shouldn't we want to be strong just to spite them?

This is really HIS problems not hers. He has a HUGE natural advantage when it comes to strength, if he's not using it, sucks to be him. My husband is the same height and weight as me but no way could I ever overpower him.

Agreed. It is the guy that should be embarrassed.

No no no, guys always lose on purpose. It is their goal to have the woman on top of them.

That's really never been my thing. I guess some guys like that. Different strokes . . .
    and then we figured out who the doms were
    tumblr_lpqu4xTVEB1qfq0gno1_500.gif

Ahh, and I wake up to one of my favorite gifs. :bigsmile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to see the pics of the bald spots these women undoubtedly must get as a result of having such high testosterone levels.

Sorry, no pics, but I do have a friend who doesn't even lift but plays several recreational sports and gets very muscular. She gave up volleyball because her arms were becoming too mannish for her taste (possibly not for others, however).

She is naturally slim (underweight actually) and has been for the 25 years that I've known her. And, yes, she does have quite noticeable facial hair, although it's white/blonde.

I could stand a little bulk, but all I ever achieve is an unattractive stringy/wiry look, especially my forearms.

Mannish arms from volleyball? Sounds like she was getting too much definition for her taste. Many women seem to dislike muscle definition and think that it is masculine. Many women even dislike being strong. I have no idea why but they think its not feminine to be strong. Damsals in distress I suppose.

Yeah, tell your friend to stop at Dairy Queen and eat a Royal Treat after every game/practice. That'll put an end to that muscle definition.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

The long and short of it is I became 'bulky' my upper body, shoulders, back and arms was just horrible when I had clothes on

No, you didn't.

Show us the pics and measurements to prove it, because if that happened while you weren't gaining weight then you are a marvel of biology.
    lol! body pump is heavy lifting...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsm0A1RTu6k
    "high rep high intensity barbell based program...it's more repetitions with higher weight...800 reps in some routines"

I wonder if they know that heavy lifting is lifting 85% your max weight for ~5 reps. And you lift what at bodypump? Gazillion reps of whatever lighter weight? If it 'feels heavy' that doesn't make it heavy lifting. If you run for a long time and your legs feel heavy to the point you cannot lift them anymore that doesn't mean that when you're walking you're doing heavy lifting...
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I don't think it's about getting stronger really quickly, which some do. I think the OP was talking about actually putting on bulky muscles, which MOST women don't. My college roommate, however, was an exception. She used to go running while carrying a walkman -- yes, it was in the stone age -- and she had to alternate arms to avoid building up one huge bicep. I kid you not. Wish I had a pic to show.

Jesus h christ what utter nonsense.

And you know this because you went to college with us, right?

Hey, I met some aliens once in college. Great guys really. We did some shots, a couple of keg stands, and they helped me with my paper on John Rawls. I'm sorry you weren't there to witness that.

Sounds like your alien friends are awesome.

So you're saying I'm making this up just for my own amusement?

No, they are saying that you can't get large biceps from carrying around a Walkman while you run. I think what happened is your friend lost weight, lost the flab in her arms, so her biceps were visible, giving the *illusion* of "bulk."
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    People taking themselves way too seriously around here....sheesh.... Biologically impossible. Got it. She's just a freak whose right bicep is bigger than her left. I don't know why, guess I never will. But I now know that it couldn't be because of her Walkman, like she said it was. It's ok. I can live with that. You guys need to find a better past time than ganging up on people in these forums who say things that are incorrect -- it's worse than a high school clique around here sometimes. Just let it go. It's not that important. If I had taken the time to really think about it, I would have realized how silly it was. It's ok, really.

My right calf is larger than my left calf. That's not freakish. It happens.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this "problem". My legs are always kind of man muscular, but damn can I get some upper body to match?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm sorry to say but you women who think you gain muscle too fast or the muscle you have makes you look manly... you don't look manly. You don't even have that much muscle, and I sincerely doubt you can lift that much. You just have a distorted self image. :ohwell:

^^ So much this.

Body dysmorphia. Not a single lady that is claiming she has a "bulky" body has proven it. It's how they perceive their mirror image, nothing else.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I wish I had this "problem". My legs are always kind of man muscular, but damn can I get some upper body to match?
    pics?
  • castadiva
    castadiva Posts: 2,016 Member
    Options

No, you didn't.

Why does she need to 'prove' anything? Her perception was that she started to look bulky doing those activities, and she changed her habits to avoid that. Her idea of bulky and yours may not be the same, but that doesn't mean that her perception of her own body is invalid or necessarily inaccurate.

Body image is an intensely personal thing, and what we perceive may not match others' perceptions of us, because their view is measured by a different fundamental scale to ours, produced by their own experiences. We all know someone who obsesses about some part of their appearance that we don't even notice. Just because their 'hooked' nose/'bulky' calves/'sticky-out' ears/ 'frizzy' hair doesn't bother our aesthetic sense, or measure up to our personal frame of reference for those things, does not mean that it isn't a real problem/issue and a source of self-consciousness to the person who owns the nose/ears/hair/calves/shoulders in question.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

No, you didn't.

Why does she need to 'prove' anything? Her perception was that she started to look bulky doing those activities, and she changed her habits to avoid that. Her idea of bulky and yours may not be the same, but that doesn't mean that her perception of her own body is invalid or necessarily inaccurate.

Body image is an intensely personal thing, and what we perceive may not match others' perceptions of us, because their view is measured by a different fundamental scale to ours, produced by their own experiences. We all know someone who obsesses about some part of their appearance that we don't even notice. Just because their 'hooked' nose/'bulky' calves/'sticky-out' ears/ 'frizzy' hair doesn't bother our aesthetic sense, or measure up to our personal frame of reference for those things, does not mean that it isn't a real problem/issue and a source of self-consciousness to the person who owns the nose/ears/hair/calves/shoulders in question.

People need to learn to love their bodies, regardless of whether or not they are working to make improvements. No amount of diet or exercise will make you happy if you can't find happiness with who you are *right now.*
  • BeachIron
    Options

No, you didn't.

This isn't a body image issue. Post that in another thread. The discussion is centered on women who claim to put on muscle quickly and explanations of why that is simply not physically possible.

I suppose though, thinking about your argument, that all those anorexics who suffer from body dysmorphia should just be supported in their dysfunction because that's their perceptions and "body image is an intensely personal thing." Perhaps the reality of a person's body fat %, LBM %, etc. do have a legitimate place in these discussions?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

lol! body pump is heavy lifting...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsm0A1RTu6k
    "high rep high intensity barbell based program...it's more repetitions with higher weight...800 reps in some routines"

I wonder if they know that heavy lifting is lifting 85% your max weight for ~5 reps. And you lift what at bodypump? Gazillion reps of whatever lighter weight? If it 'feels heavy' that doesn't make it heavy lifting. If you run for a long time and your legs feel heavy to the point you cannot lift them anymore that doesn't mean that when you're walking you're doing heavy lifting...

OMG body pump is NOT heavy lifting. LMFAO clearly they do not. it pains me. really it does.

There is a woman who comes to my dance studio and says she's addicted to it and she loves how much weight she does because she feels so strong- she's like we do over 800 reps sometimes... I'm like. <epicfacepalm>

half range of movement doesn't count
    800 reps of ANYTHING is NEVER heavy lifting unless you are doing sets of 2-3 and you are there all fracking night.

you weren't lifting heavy- and into weights. Body Pump is like almost the complete opposite of heavy lifting.

You didn't get bulky. Trust me. you didn't. You may not have liked the way you looked- but your diet probably didn't support the work and or you were having water retention/typical muscle tearing issues.

And for the record- women with stacked upper bodies- rarely look bad in clothes- they look amazing in tank tops and halters. nom nom... love it.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

No, you didn't.

Why does she need to 'prove' anything?

Because the things she said happened are physically impossible. She literally said she got bulky.

Bulk literally means size. She got smaller. She may have gained some muscle definition, but she did not get bulkier. She got smaller, which is the opposite of bulk.
  • BeachIron
    Options

No, you didn't.

People need to learn to love their bodies, regardless of whether or not they are working to make improvements. No amount of diet or exercise will make you happy if you can't find happiness with who you are *right now.*

I don't believe that there is a person in this thread that would argue with that statement. What is being discussed is objective reality. I said earlier that it is very easy for people to misperceive what is happening with their own bodies, I have experienced it myself. Everyone believes that lifting weights makes people bigger but that only happens if that person is eating at a calorie surplus. For the vast majority of people on MFP, i.e. those who are dieting, lifting weights will simply preserve the LBM that they have as they lose weight. Even for the few who are completely untrained or who are genetically gifted and do gain some limited muscle mass while eating at a deficit, they will actually get smaller, as was illustrated by the fat/muscle comparison that CoderGal posted earlier.

I know this is a hard concept for people to learn. I've seen it again and again with others starting the process and quite far along in it, and I experienced it myself. No one is attacking anyone in this thread or challenging their "happiness." This is a genuine attempt to explain what is going on.
  • IronCakes
    IronCakes Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    pics?

why?