Women who put on muscle fast

Options

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about getting stronger really quickly, which some do. I think the OP was talking about actually putting on bulky muscles, which MOST women don't. My college roommate, however, was an exception. She used to go running while carrying a walkman -- yes, it was in the stone age -- and she had to alternate arms to avoid building up one huge bicep. I kid you not. Wish I had a pic to show.

Jesus h christ what utter nonsense.

And you know this because you went to college with us, right?

Hey, I met some aliens once in college. Great guys really. We did some shots, a couple of keg stands, and they helped me with my paper on John Rawls. I'm sorry you weren't there to witness that.

Sounds like your alien friends are awesome.

So you're saying I'm making this up just for my own amusement?

I don't think you made it up I just think you/her don't know what was happening in her body, most likely a localised inflammation and possibly a better mind-muscle connection with the arm that carried the walkman which made it easier for her to flex the muscle. She didn't build a noticeable muscular imbalance in her arm carrying a walkman.

Duly chastised. Next time I feel like telling a silly and strange anecdote, I'll be sure to conduct a rigorous physiological study and run it by you and your professional peers for review.
    No need. If you knew ANYTHING about how hypertrophy actually occurs, you would know why it's impossible for what you described to happen. Like completely biologically impossible. It simply defies the laws of nature for this to occur. I cannot make this point any more clear.

so yes, it's completely utter nonsense what you described.

here's why. For hypertrophy to occur, you need to progressively overload the muscle. that means it must be subjected to stresses that it near it's overload point at minimum, and physically shreds the muscles due to this stress. then during rest, the body repairs this damage, and repairs it stronger, thus bigger muscles.

If carrying a walkman built her arms from such a low weight, then by logical extension, she must have grown MASSIVE legs from them powering her body around for the same time frame while exercising too.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Laws of physics? Made to be broken.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's about getting stronger really quickly, which some do. I think the OP was talking about actually putting on bulky muscles, which MOST women don't. My college roommate, however, was an exception. She used to go running while carrying a walkman -- yes, it was in the stone age -- and she had to alternate arms to avoid building up one huge bicep. I kid you not. Wish I had a pic to show.

Hey, I met some aliens once in college. Great guys really. We did some shots, a couple of keg stands, and they helped me with my paper on John Rawls. I'm sorry you weren't there to witness that.

I don't think you made it up I just think you/her don't know what was happening in her body, most likely a localised inflammation and possibly a better mind-muscle connection with the arm that carried the walkman which made it easier for her to flex the muscle. She didn't build a noticeable muscular imbalance in her arm carrying a walkman.

Duly chastised. Next time I feel like telling a silly and strange anecdote, I'll be sure to conduct a rigorous physiological study and run it by you and your professional peers for review.
    No need. If you knew ANYTHING about how hypertrophy actually occurs, you would know why it's impossible for what you described to happen. Like completely biologically impossible. It simply defies the laws of nature for this to occur. I cannot make this point any more clear.

here's why. For hypertrophy to occur, you need to progressively overload the muscle. that means it must be subjected to stresses that it near it's overload point at minimum, and physically shreds the muscles due to this stress. then during rest, the body repairs this damage, and repairs it stronger, thus bigger muscles.

If carrying a walkman built her arms from such a low weight, then by logical extension, she must have grown MASSIVE legs from them powering her body around for the same time frame while exercising too.

I drive with just my right foot. And I drive a lot. Why isn't my right leg more muscular than my left? I wanna be a special freak of nature too.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options

Excessive calories must be consumed for hypertrophy as well, you're not going to put several inches on at a deficit.
  • phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Excessive calories must be consumed for hypertrophy as well, you're not going to put several inches on at a deficit.
    of course, but figured there was no need going that far down the rabbit hole when the original premise on it's face was that ridiculous.
  • IronAngel26pt2
    IronAngel26pt2 Posts: 129 Member
    Options

I drive with just my right foot. And I drive a lot. Why isn't my right leg more muscular than my left? I wanna be a special freak of nature too.

The heel of my shoe is damaged....but my foot/calve is not any bigger than my other!! :sad:
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

The heel of my shoe is damaged....but my foot/calve is not any bigger than my other!! :sad:

Hey, this is why I have a lobster claw of a right arm. I'm right handed so naturally I'm hyooge there!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

Hey, this is why I have a lobster claw of a right arm. I'm right handed so naturally I'm hyooge there!
    Wait....hyooge where?
  • BeachIron
    Options

Wait....hyooge where?

:laugh:
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    People taking themselves way too seriously around here....sheesh.... Biologically impossible. Got it. She's just a freak whose right bicep is bigger than her left. I don't know why, guess I never will. But I now know that it couldn't be because of her Walkman, like she said it was. It's ok. I can live with that. You guys need to find a better past time than ganging up on people in these forums who say things that are incorrect -- it's worse than a high school clique around here sometimes. Just let it go. It's not that important. If I had taken the time to really think about it, I would have realized how silly it was. It's ok, really.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    People taking themselves way too seriously around here....sheesh.... Biologically impossible. Got it. She's just a freak whose right bicep is bigger than her left. I don't know why, guess I never will. But I now know that it couldn't be because of her Walkman, like she said it was. It's ok. I can live with that. You guys need to find a better past time than ganging up on people in these forums who say things that are incorrect -- it's worse than a high school clique around here sometimes. Just let it go. It's not that important. If I had taken the time to really think about it, I would have realized how silly it was. It's ok, really.

Blasphemy! Nothing is more important than the broscience! And the being right! THERE IS NO LETTING IT GO!!
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Sabine, there are many people who have one arm that is bigger and stronger than the other. The Walkman, may have had a tiny part in making her right arm larger, as did everything else she did with her right arm. I assume she was right handed.

No, no. She's obviously correct. Please don't allow anyone with any experience correct a misconception. That's terribly mean and rude, and bullying, and cliquish behavior. Go on, thinking 30% BF is bulky and all muscly and what have you. It's entertaining.
  • YoBecca
    YoBecca Posts: 167
    Options
    Sabine, there are many people who have one arm that is bigger and stronger than the other. The Walkman, may have had a tiny part in making her right arm larger, as did everything else she did with her right arm. I assume she was right handed.

A lot of moms are stronger/bigger in the non-dominant arm - b/c we use our non-dominant side to carry kids (and groceries, etc.) while leaving our dominant hand to fish out keys, dial phones, open doors, and do fine-motor tasks. So we end up with a "brainy" arm and a "brawny" arm.

It's true for me - better grip in my dom side, but easier to lift stuff with my nom-dom side after 8 years of lugging around my offspring. (And apparently Gwyneth Paltrow's fancy trainer had to develop a lopsided routine to balance her out b/c her baby-toting arm was noticeably bigger. The take away- I'm basically the same as Gwyneth Paltrow).

ETA: I'm not saying nothing about bulking up or deficit eating or fast-growing woman muscle or *anything like that*
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    18%
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.

Just bumping my comparison pictures to show how body fat plays a roll. My muscles look much bigger without the fat. Initially my measurements all went up because of water retention and dropped as my body fat dropped.
    [/quote]
    damn that's pretty awesome. I feel shameful having posted mine compared to these LOL

good work my friend!!

I'd also like to point out- I'm pretty sure that that second picture you aren't meaty enough for 18% unless you are hiding it somewhere- that looks awfully lean for 18% ... looks closer to like 15/16 (bestie went with 14/15) I think you are grossly overestimating that body fat my love!!! :)
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

good work my friend!!

I'd also like to point out- I'm pretty sure that that second picture you aren't meaty enough for 18% unless you are hiding it somewhere- that looks awfully lean for 18% ... looks closer to like 15/16 (bestie went with 14/15) I think you are grossly overestimating that body fat my love!!! :)

While I think she looks great, it is impossible to say what her body fat is by looking at a picture. I find people usually under estimate body fat when looking at pictures.

She also wrote that she is a competitive body builder (I think? This thread has been a big one). I would trust her estimates.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    IMG_20130829_104515_zps5ed7cfee.jpg
    18%
    IMG_20130805_222824_zps49abba1a.jpg
    Once again, I am a competitive bodybuilder with low fat, so you will not get a back like the second picture without working hard for it.

Just bumping my comparison pictures to show how body fat plays a roll. My muscles look much bigger without the fat. Initially my measurements all went up because of water retention and dropped as my body fat dropped.

damn that's pretty awesome. I feel shameful having posted mine compared to these LOL

good work my friend!!

Thank you! Your pictures were hot!!!!

I actually hold a lot of fat in my thighs. My upper looks to be around 15% and my lower looks closer to 21%. Darn uneven distribution!
    IMG_3846_zps90537801.jpg
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Have you ever been in the situation where you're horsing around with your guy friend and to your surprise you find you can overpower him? Well, some women find themselves in this situation and it embarrasses them.
    Why on earth would I be embarrassed? I suppose he might be embarrassed, but that's not my problem. I'd probably say "You're breakin' my heart, a$$wipe." and then we'd both laugh ourselves silly over the Golden Child reference. Also, if I could best my husband, I'd probably enter a comp, because he's crazy-strong!:laugh: