Venting and Kind of Being a Jerk, Sorry...

Options
123457»

Replies

• ninaws
    ninaws Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Skinny people complaining about being fat--

You never know what a person is dealing with.

I was in and out of eating disorder programs for most of my teens and 20s. There was a girl there who, when at summer camp when she was 12, was raped by one of the counselors. And the entire time he was raping her, he called her a 'fat pig'. From that moment forward, every time she sat down to eat, she heard 'fat pig' in her head and relived the rape.

It was easier for her to complain about being 'fat' that to go into those details.

Now, this is an extreme example but how can you sit there and say so-and-so is saying that for attention? How do you KNOW what place they are coming from? Do some need therapy? Perhaps. But they are reaching out and by posting rants like this, are basically being discouraged from seeking support in any form.

Worry about your own stuff and have compassion for others. Stop judging books by their covers.

People who complain but don't back it up with action--

How many times did you attempt to get healthy before you really stuck to it? I don't know about you but it took me several starts and stops before I became sincerely committed to making better health choices (eating, exercise, smoking..). I'm not going to fault people for not being able to mentally/physically commit yet.
  • damcool
    damcool Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think what gets me going is that half of the people commenting aren't really hearing what I'm saying. I was/am that "skinny" girl. I also was the "fat" girl. I'm really only commenting on motivation...There is a difference between people that can't stand themselves, whether they are skinny or fat, and people that want to manipulate others into giving them fruitless comments. That is all that I'm talking about. It a waste of space and time. It wouldn't matter what shape they're in, they don't care. They only want to get compliments because they need therapy and there is something inside them that they don't like or control. Motivation is everything!
  • mynameisnutz
    mynameisnutz Posts: 123
    Options
    i work in a grocery store and believe me its unbelieveble some of the things i see first of all i dont think cause your fat and lazy that should qualify you for a disablity check i know some people who are truly disabled and cant get help but if you weigh 400 lbs then they will give you a check so you dont have to work and can sit around and get fatter. there was a woman who came in the other day as i was putting out sweet goods ie honey buns little debbie cakes etc shes on one of the carts with enough hanging off the sides to create another person and she grabs up 4 6 pk of the iced honey buns as if they are sweet enough these are topped with tons of gooey iciing she says oh thank goodness you are putting these out i just love these dont you i informed her they were way to sweet for my taste ( sweets arent my problem bread is i cant resist it lol) she goes on to tell me she has at least 4 of the honey buns a day at 780 calories each i guess shes determined to keep her check coming so until the government stops that nonsense we are always gonna be the fattest unhealthiest nation on the planet okay thats my rant

Punctuation is your friend.
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Skinny people complaining about being fat--

You never know what a person is dealing with.

I was in and out of eating disorder programs for most of my teens and 20s. There was a girl there who, when at summer camp when she was 12, was raped by one of the counselors. And the entire time he was raping her, he called her a 'fat pig'. From that moment forward, every time she sat down to eat, she heard 'fat pig' in her head and relived the rape.

It was easier for her to complain about being 'fat' that to go into those details.

Now, this is an extreme example but how can you sit there and say so-and-so is saying that for attention? How do you KNOW what place they are coming from? Do some need therapy? Perhaps. But they are reaching out and by posting rants like this, are basically being discouraged from seeking support in any form.

Worry about your own stuff and have compassion for others. Stop judging books by their covers.

People who complain but don't back it up with action--

How many times did you attempt to get healthy before you really stuck to it? I don't know about you but it took me several starts and stops before I became sincerely committed to making better health choices (eating, exercise, smoking..). I'm not going to fault people for not being able to mentally/physically commit yet.
    :flowerforyou: :heart:
  • damcool
    Options
    Fortunately for me, this was my first time trying to lose weight. I don't feel like I need to tell the world my whole life, however, I am not a "spring chicken" so to speak. I've dealt with a whole lot of sh** and I'm a strong person because I've went through those things. So, when I decided to change my life, aka lose weight and get mental health taken care of, it was the first time and the last time for me. I understand people that still struggle, but for me this was it. I am a stubborn and strong willed woman that won't let failure get me down. I did it once, it got me to being obese, I won't do it again.
  • MaryB2
    MaryB2 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm 115lbs are you telling me that I'm not allowed to want to be fit and toned and healthy?

Focus on yourself not on other people!

I agree!! I am 180 lbs now but was 120 a couple of years ago. I was still on SparkPeople working on getting the last bit of belly fat off from when I had lost weight in 2001. Just because I wasn't overweight anymore did not mean that I did not need to work on my body / health anymore.

I actually came across someone on a forum the other day that made a comment about it bothering her if someone that was 150 lbs complained about being overweight. That doesn't even make sense to me. Why should a person have to be as heavy as someone else to be able to talk about their weight issues on a weight loss forum?
  • MaryB2
    Options
    Fortunately for me, this was my first time trying to lose weight. I don't feel like I need to tell the world my whole life, however, I am not a "spring chicken" so to speak. I've dealt with a whole lot of sh** and I'm a strong person because I've went through those things. So, when I decided to change my life, aka lose weight and get mental health taken care of, it was the first time and the last time for me. I understand people that still struggle, but for me this was it. I am a stubborn and strong willed woman that won't let failure get me down. I did it once, it got me to being obese, I won't do it again.

First of all I think what people are saying is that you have no way of knowing if these people trying to get attention or are saying what they really feel.

Second, I hope you're right but you can't be so sure that this is the only time you will go through weight issues. I am also a very stubborn, strong-willed woman. I gained weight once and became determined to lose it. In a very healthy way I got down to my lowest weight as an adult. It was so easy and I was so determined that I didn't think I would ever let myself gain weight again. That lasted for 4 years. Then I quit smoking, had anxiety issues, got bit by a dog on my face (and couldn't eat solid foods for a month) all in about a 2 month span. All the sudden when I could eat again I started eating everything in sight and am now at my heaviest weight. You just never know what could happen that would make you gain that weight again.
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Vent..and vent some more. This is a public forum where people HAVE opinions. Whether they like it or not is up to them....freedom of speech and if they don't like it well its too bad. I've been on both ends...fat and skinny. I personally know what it is like. So to the skinny people --get toned and fit...get it out of your head that you feel or look fat...you probably look really good and should be proud of what you've accomplished. To the bigger ones ---you CAN do it, it just takes time and patience...keep your head up and not in unhealthy foods to bring you down.

If anyone feels like they've been offended...suck it up and get over it.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    So to the skinny people --get toned and fit...get it out of your head that you feel or look fat...you probably look really good and should be proud of what you've accomplished.

Easier said than done. If it were that easy, don't you think they would?
  • damcool
    Options
    One of my friends on here told me that I should stop commenting on this, but I have one more thing to say...I absolutely know that I will never be the weight I was when I weighed 205 ever...Even if something were to happen where I could never exercise again, I know what calories (aka good foods) I need to eat. I may not be exactly the weight I am now later in life, but I'm not the same body shape I was when I was 24, even though I weigh less than I did back then. I am absolutely OK with that. I didn't gain weight because of an eating disorder or because I was stuffing my feelings. I gained weight because I was pregnant and thought that I'd lose the weight quickly. I didn't...I was wrong in thinking that way. I have now seen the "other side of the fence" so to speak. I am NOT saying that because you are skinny and want to lose weight means that you shouldn't be on here. I think that definitely you should be, as long as you're not ONLY trying to get attention and your REAL motive is to actually get healthy and fit. I'm at the point where people can point fingers and say that I'm just a "skinny" girl. Everyone, I was just angry that there were a few girls on here that dominated the boards and my personal "friends" list that didn't really seemed to care about health and well being, but only wanted to be complimented. My opinion?? Go to your local bar, they'll give you all you want. As for me? I'm here to be encouraged and love others...
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    One of my friends on here told me that I should stop commenting on this, but I have one more thing to say...
    OMG, seriously? ...more posting on this thread? I think your friend was smart/right and perhaps trying to do an intervention for you so this thread could finally die, it's good to listen to friends, they see things from a different perspective, typically much clearer. :wink: :tongue:

I feel if someone truly believes in something they posted originally, doesn't seem they would need to keep coming back to defend it over and over. :ohwell:
  • MaryB2
    Options
    One of my friends on here told me that I should stop commenting on this, but I have one more thing to say...I absolutely know that I will never be the weight I was when I weighed 205 ever...Even if something were to happen where I could never exercise again, I know what calories (aka good foods) I need to eat. I may not be exactly the weight I am now later in life, but I'm not the same body shape I was when I was 24, even though I weigh less than I did back then. I am absolutely OK with that. I didn't gain weight because of an eating disorder or because I was stuffing my feelings. I gained weight because I was pregnant and thought that I'd lose the weight quickly. I didn't...I was wrong in thinking that way. I have now seen the "other side of the fence" so to speak. I am NOT saying that because you are skinny and want to lose weight means that you shouldn't be on here. I think that definitely you should be, as long as you're not ONLY trying to get attention and your REAL motive is to actually get healthy and fit. I'm at the point where people can point fingers and say that I'm just a "skinny" girl. Everyone, I was just angry that there were a few girls on here that dominated the boards and my personal "friends" list that didn't really seemed to care about health and well being, but only wanted to be complimented. My opinion?? Go to your local bar, they'll give you all you want. As for me? I'm here to be encouraged and love others...

All I'm saying is "never say never" You honestly have no idea what your life holds for you. The reason you gained weight the first time and the reason you gain it later in life could have nothing to do with each other. Can you honestly say that if something happened to someone you love and you went into a depression because of it that you would still care enough to make the right choices with food?