People just aren't getting it.

Options

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Another thing that doesn't work is throwing blanket statements around. Some aspects of a couple of the things you listed are quite useful to those who know how to use them. I have very low carb days as part of my training plan.

Many of those fad diets are based on sound principles, but applied as if they can be used all the time, which is what doesn't work. Some people respond very well to a carb-controlled diet, and starving one's self can be great as a part of an intermittent fasting plan. Every now and then I starve myself for a day and I feel amazing afterward. And although I don't recomend it to the average person, I took a couple pills called an EC stack to help me stay on my cutting diet. I'd still be using them to cut if I was still training for looks alone, and they are great for a more advanced athlete.

I love playing devil's advocate. . .hell, I'm doing it right now, but simply saying something "doesn't work" doesn't help anybody. Establish why it doesn't work and you'll realize what parts of the fads (which are always oversimplified, which is why they seem so easy) you can actually use and what parts need tossing out.
    Oh, BLAH,BLAH,BLAH..................................................................
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    You mean I CAN'T sit on my @ss and eat what I want when I want and still lose weight?!?! OMGWTFBBQ!!!

That's it...I QUIT!
  • sculptandtone
    sculptandtone Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Ok, fair enough and most of what you're saying is probably correct. But, don't you think you're being a little judgmental and holier than thou? I bet most of the people who are patting you on the back for your post have tried the fad diets etc. before they reached the realization that for most people it does just take work. I don't think beating up on people who aren't as enlightened as you is very constructive or very nice. Don't assume people are looking for short cuts or being lazy. Sometimes they're just looking for solutions. Just like you were.
  • ToniAnn411
    ToniAnn411 Posts: 83
    Options
    You get out what you put in.
    Everyone tries it, I've done it. I've had the lapband, but I have to put in the work to get the results. I eat bad, and dont exercise, I gain immediatly. If I eat right and bust my *kitten* at the gym, I see results.
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Like, Like. Well said! A lot of money and time is wasted on the quick schemes. I've seen a few of your posts on other threads as well and I like what you are preaching, don't tone it down, people need the truth!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I've already posted this once... but apparently I was too harsh and got my post deleted. So I'll tone it down.

I keep reading post after post after post about piss poor dieting and weight loss tips and fads. When are you people going to get it. There is no short cuts. At all. NONE. None of the fad diets are sustainable!

If you want to have a sustainable, FIT and healthy body, you have to put in the work. NOTHING ELSE Works except for hard work, sweat, commitment, dedication, proper nutrition and more hard work. NOTHING.

No matter how many times people lose weight and gain it all back again with unhealthy fad diets, THEY KEEP DOING IT, and then trying the next one!!!!!!

Here's a few tips:
    Starving yourself doesn't work.
    "Fat Cleansers" don't work.
    Filler diets (Stuffing yourself with special fillers so you aren't hungry) don't work.
    Diet pills don't work.
    "Eat anything you want" diets don't work.
    "5 Minutes a day" exercises don't work.
    No Carb diets don't work.
    Diet salts don't work.
    Pre-Packaged meals don't work.
    Stomach Stapling doesn't work.

You might see short term losses using some of these methods, but you won't be healthier, and its not LONG term sustainable.

There is no shortcuts, there's no compromising. You wanna be healthy and have the body you dream of? Put in the damn work. If you AREN'T going to put in the work, don't come whining on the boards about not losing weight. It's your own fault.

I know it sounds cliche, but this REALLY IS a life change. You are changing everything about the way you see and treat food and your health.

P.S. Yes, this is toned down.

LIGHTEN UP!!! YOU are NOT ANYONE'S Keeper or Master. People have a RIGHT to DO Stupid Stuff >>>As Long as Their Stupid Stuff Does NOT Hurt ANYONE BUT THEM!

Just get off of your BandWagon, are You some type of control freak...You Do You and Let Them Do Them. People are NOT Stupid, most are just Weak!

People are allowed to do whatever they want to do. . .it just gets really annoying when it doesn't work and we have to here them wine about it, especially when if they were hanging around here, someone probably told them it wasn't going to work in the first place.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Another thing that doesn't work is throwing blanket statements around. Some aspects of a couple of the things you listed are quite useful to those who know how to use them. I have very low carb days as part of my training plan.

Many of those fad diets are based on sound principles, but applied as if they can be used all the time, which is what doesn't work. Some people respond very well to a carb-controlled diet, and starving one's self can be great as a part of an intermittent fasting plan. Every now and then I starve myself for a day and I feel amazing afterward. And although I don't recomend it to the average person, I took a couple pills called an EC stack to help me stay on my cutting diet. I'd still be using them to cut if I was still training for looks alone, and they are great for a more advanced athlete.

I love playing devil's advocate. . .hell, I'm doing it right now, but simply saying something "doesn't work" doesn't help anybody. Establish why it doesn't work and you'll realize what parts of the fads (which are always oversimplified, which is why they seem so easy) you can actually use and what parts need tossing out.
    Oh, BLABLABLA..................................................................

Thanks for adding to the conversation.

winning.
  • minnie86
    minnie86 Posts: 187
    Options
    Ok, fair enough and most of what you're saying is probably correct. But, don't you think you're being a little judgmental and holier than thou? I bet most of the people who are patting you on the back for your post have tried the fad diets etc. before they reached the realization that for most people it does just take work. I don't think beating up on people who aren't as enlightened as you is very constructive or very nice. Don't assume people are looking for short cuts or being lazy. Sometimes they're just looking for solutions. Just like you were.
    I agree 100%
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true!

Try to have a little patience. People come from different backgrounds. Some people here are trying to lose weight for the first time, and yes others are trying for the "umpteenth" time.

Some people come from a background where fast food for most meals is the norm. Healthy food? What's that?

If you were raised on burgers & fries (fries are a vegetable right?) - you have more to learn than those of us who raised on healthy foods (and still got fat!).

I was raised on deep fried farm foods... I had no idea what a "healthy diet" even was, let alone how to use them. People should Educate themselves. No one is gonna do it for them.
  • CeleryStalker
    CeleryStalker Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I think the other post you made was removed because you lumped Bulimia into the category of 'diets that don't work'. I agree, fad diets don't work and people should suck it up and just do it the right way, but bona fide eating disorders just aren't the same thing :flowerforyou:
  • ShaeDetermined
    ShaeDetermined Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    what?
    really?
    u mean i cant sit on my *kitten* all day, eat what i want and achieve a killer body???

now i need a drink!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I've honestly always loved your weightloss advice. If people can't handle the truth, then they'll just keep on going with fad diets and get crappy results in the long run.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true!

Try to have a little patience. People come from different backgrounds. Some people here are trying to lose weight for the first time, and yes others are trying for the "umpteenth" time.

Some people come from a background where fast food for most meals is the norm. Healthy food? What's that?

If you were raised on burgers & fries (fries are a vegetable right?) - you have more to learn than those of us who raised on healthy foods (and still got fat!).

I was raised on deep fried farm foods... I had no idea what a "healthy diet" even was, let alone how to use them. People should Educate themselves. No one is gonna do it for them.

Yep, same here! Straight off the farm. No idea what a healthy diet was. Did my research and got work, now I'm in the best shape of my life at 40.
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    You are right on. I lost 92 pounds in 5 months starving myself. It only took 3 years to gain it all back and then some. Now I am trying a whole different approach, eating lots of healthy food. It's going slower, but I won't have to worry about how to eat when I reach my goal. I'll just keep doing the same thing.

Not all calories are the same. Calories from healthy foods full of nutrients tend to increase your metabolism more than the same amount of calories in fatty sugary foods.
  • AwesomeSauce4
    AwesomeSauce4 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!! So true..

I myself have tried every fad diet in the past.. But this time I stuck with a healthy diet and exercise routine and my results have been amazing!!!...

I Agree with this 100 %
  • Avalonis
    Options
    LIGHTEN UP!!! YOU are NOT ANYONE'S Keeper or Master. People have a RIGHT to DO Stupid Stuff >>>As Long as Their Stupid Stuff Does NOT Hurt ANYONE BUT THEM!

Just get off of your BandWagon, are You some type of control freak...You Do You and Let Them Do Them. People are NOT Stupid, most are just Weak!

People are allowed to do whatever they want to do. . .it just gets really annoying when it doesn't work and we have to here them wine about it, especially when if they were hanging around here, someone probably told them it wasn't going to work in the first place.

What she said is what I am talking about. EVERYONE has the ability to do a search on here. EVERYONE has the ability to do a google search. Educate yourself, no one has an excuse. And no, I didn't do any of the fad diets.

And my rant is about people on here I keep seeing complain they aren't losing weight, or giving terrible advice to new people.

And I don't let it ruin my day. I'm fine. It just seems like I'm all pissed off.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Love it!!!! So true..

I myself have tried every fad diet in the past.. But this time I stuck with a healthy diet and exercise routine and my results have been amazing!!!...

I Agree with this 100 %

Awesome results!!! Good for you. Keep it up!!
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Yes this is true!

Agree totally. I get really annoyed when all the post you see are "tell me what to eat". I had to do my research now you go do yours.
  • Avalonis
    Options
    Like, Like. Well said! A lot of money and time is wasted on the quick schemes. I've seen a few of your posts on other threads as well and I like what you are preaching, don't tone it down, people need the truth!

I think the world has plenty of sheeple that will not speak up and say the truth because they might offend someone or hurt someone's feelings.

I'll go ahead and say the truth. If its the truth, you need to hear it.

My boss told me I need to "Sometimes put a Politically correct filter on." lol...
  • dragonflydi
    dragonflydi Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Love it! I am so tired of the HCG, cleanse etc. posts and even the ads on here!
    Hey, totally off topic here but please tell me you've got nicer weather today. I am in Spokane and whatever you've got today, we will get tomorrow. haha

I'm not too far from you in Portland so I hope you don't send his blah weather this direction after you are done with it! ;)