Paelo Challenge

Replies

• I want to do this so bad because I KNOW that it is the right way to eat (atleast for me it is) but I can't seem to make it one week without giving in and turning back. What is a good carb goal to stick to? The reason I ask is I want to eat fruit and nuts when I feel like snacking, but they both have carbs and some fruits have a ton, so I am wondering what is a good carb goal to stick to each day. I actually broke myself away from going to starbucks and caribou coffee and don't even drink a coffee everyday (this is big because I used to drink 2-3 a morning and a starbucks or caribou everyday). I also gave up diet soda and just drink water now. My husband is willing to do this too, so we will incorporate this into our whole family eating plan and maybe that will be the difference I needed? I know the challenge is closed, but I may do it on my own and just read what all yall are doing. Good luck everyone!

It's hard to say what a good carb goal is because it really depends on the person. I wasn't eating a lot of carbs before I got the idea to go paleo anyways so my current goal is 60 or less. You want to watch how much fruit you eat and treat them more like a dessert than anything because a lot of fruit has a surprising amount of carbs. For instance, a small apple has 15 carbs so this is definitely something to keep your eye on.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member

I have a recipe for paleo meatloaf that would take you all the way to 600 cals per serving. I can post if you'd like. :)

yes please!!! that would be great just to stick in the freezer for times like these. I am learninf fast that I need to plan ahead and add more fats to things - like today i just had chicken and bacon with a lod of salad and steamed veg for lunch. I have never been one for sauces so didn't add anything but a dash of olive oil would have worked a treat (or the salsa verde i made.......)

off to the supermarket tonight for a few more things to step things up a bit!!!
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Just broke a 16 hour LeanGains fast with 12 oz wild caught sockeye salmon doused in Frank's Red Hot, a big salad with EVOO & balsamic and two hard boiled eggs...
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Just broke a 16 hour LeanGains fast with 12 oz wild caught sockeye salmon doused in Frank's Red Hot, a big salad with EVOO & balsamic and two hard boiled eggs...

That sounds fantastic! Last night I did a swordfish steak with garlic-rosemary butter, but Frank's sounds AMAZING! I Thanks for the idea.
  • BR1986FB

That sounds fantastic! Last night I did a swordfish steak with garlic-rosemary butter, but Frank's sounds AMAZING! I Thanks for the idea.

I'm a hot sauce freak. I put Frank's on the hard boiled eggs too. I have GERD but I'm stupid and like to "dance with the devil." :laugh:

BTW...last night was the first time I broke out the grill (kept forgetting to pick up propane). I made THE most redonkulous grassfed strip steaks that I bought from a local farmer. Paired them with a whole avocado. Words cannot describe how tasty these things were.
  • ResilientWoman
    ResilientWoman Posts: 440 Member
    http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

This is the blog that began my curiosity about all things Paleo. Took maybe a year or more for my curiosity and taking baby steps to yield a significant adherence to Paleo lifestyle principles.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Alcohol - Is prioritized by the body to get it out of the blood stream. It will burn alcohol before anything. Just keep that in mind.

I'm surprised we don't hear "drink more alcohol! It's the body's preferred fuel source!" Strange how that is considered "prioritized" but carbs are considered "preferred" when they are actually "prioritized" also.
  • Hey, sorry for the delay. Here's the recipe for the meatloaf

1 Onion
    2 Packs of Trader Joe's All Natural Lean Ground Beef - Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef 90/10, 2 container (16 oz ea.)
    1 Cup Trader Joe's - Just Almond Meal
    2 Large - Organic Free Range Whole Egg
    1 container Hunt's - 100% Natural - Tomato Paste
    1 tsp Market Pantry - Minced Garlic
    1 tsp Spices - Basil, dried
    Pam - No-Stick Cooking Spray

Per Serving: 600 cals

All you need to do with this is preheat the oven to 350 degress, mix everything into a bowl while the oven is warming up (except the Pam of course). Once everything is mixed really well, grease a bread loaf pan and pour the mixture in. Stick it in the oven for an hour or so and serve.

You might want to add some sort of sauce because this does come out a little dry. I personally like it dry but I don't know about everyone else. :P
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    today’s breakfast 2 steakeez steaks and dried mushrooms fried in coconut oil, water and 1 tbs of San-j teriyaki sauce then 2 eggs scrambled in once the meat is browned..YUM!!!:love:
  • ResilientWoman
    Hey, sorry for the delay. Here's the recipe for the meatloaf

1 Onion
    2 Packs of Trader Joe's All Natural Lean Ground Beef - Organic Grass Fed Ground Beef 90/10, 2 container (16 oz ea.)

All you need to do with this is preheat the oven to 350 degress, mix everything into a bowl while the oven is warming up (except the Pam of course). Once everything is mixed really well, grease a bread loaf pan and pour the mixture in. Stick it in the oven for an hour or so and serve.

You might want to add some sort of sauce because this does come out a little dry. I personally like it dry but I don't know about everyone else. :P

Just a suggestion...Pam cooking spray might aggrivate auto-immune problems. Use a more Paleo fat like Coconut oil to grease your pan which will lower belly fat, increase health and reduce inflammation.
  • ResilientWoman
    today’s breakfast 2 steakeez steaks and dried mushrooms fried in coconut oil, water and 1 tbs of San-j teriyaki sauce then 2 eggs scrambled in once the meat is browned..YUM!!!:love:

Is that San-J teriyaki sauce GF? I tolerate small amounts of soy sauce as long as its gluten free.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Yes it is.. I have celiac's disease so I have to make sure everything I eat is gluten free

Is that San-J teriyaki sauce GF? I tolerate small amounts of soy sauce as long as its gluten free.
  • Hey, sorry for the delay. Here's the recipe for the meatloaf

1 Onion

Just a suggestion...Pam cooking spray might aggrivate auto-immune problems. Use a more Paleo fat like Coconut oil to grease your pan which will lower belly fat, increase health and reduce inflammation.

Great suggestion! It recommended "cooking fat" and had a huge section on how to extract fat from meats and the like. I was a little apprehensive of that so I just resorted to the Pam that I already had laying around the house but that coconut oil sounds like a viable option. Thanks again!
  • BR1986FB
    Either coconut oil, Kerry Gold Irish Butter or bacon drippings would probably work.
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    I'll pop in (presuming it's not too late). I may slip on a couple of things (i.e. dairy - I don't use milk, but do have small amounts of sour cream and cheese), but trust you'll be gentle. :flowerforyou:
  • photorific
    photorific Posts: 577 Member
    So alcohol... anyone else doing fairly low carb noticed that they don't get tipsy/drunk as easily? It's kind of annoying! I don't want to get sloshed, but it kind of defeats the purpose if I don't even feel relaxed.

Actually, I've noticed the opposite!
    Me too! (Was a little embarrassing to hear myself talk after 2 glasses of wine when we were camping. Lesson learned - LOL!)
  • mamato4kids
    mamato4kids Posts: 217 Member
    I am in i just gotback from vacation....I even did well while I was away.
    Some great sites that have been passed on to me: paleohacks.com and paleoplan.com the first is a great place to post questions and get them answered, the other is a weekly plan site, for $10 a month they plan your meals and give you shopping lists with recipes...worth the $$
  • moremari
    moremari Posts: 118 Member
    I have just been reading up on this. I'd like to join.
  • Everyone who's coming into this late: you're welcome to join! You'll obivously just have to add a couple of days past the main groups finish date (chances are I'll keep eating like this after the 30 days anyways). But yeah, you guys are more than welcome to join!
  • I am in i just gotback from vacation....I even did well while I was away.
    Some great sites that have been passed on to me: paleohacks.com and paleoplan.com the first is a great place to post questions and get them answered, the other is a weekly plan site, for $10 a month they plan your meals and give you shopping lists with recipes...worth the $$

Thanks for the links. Maybe when I get some extra money I'll do that meal plan site. Sounds like it could really come in handy.