Why are some people afraid to leave their FOOD diary open?

Options

Replies

• wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Ive seen peoples food diarys get posted on the message boards just to be picked apart.Mines open now,but I closed it for awhile because I had random a**holes sending me messages about not eating my exercise calories,or eating proccesed foods,or how I shouldnt drink blah blahh blah closing it was much easier than telling each and every one of them to *kitten* off
    JUST LIKE I TELL MY KIDS, IT MAKES SOME PEOPLE FEEL BETTER ABOUT THEM SELVES TO PUT OTHERS DOWN, DONT LET A BULLY RUIN YOUR GOOD TIME, THERE ARE MORE GOOD SEEDS THAN BAD. I USED TO BE PRIVATE, BUT I NEED TO PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH. ONE OF MY PET PEEVES ARE CLOSED MINDED PEOPLE WHO DO NOT LIKE OR ALLOW ANYONE TO BE DIFFERENT THAN THEM. I WOULD HATE A WORLD FULL OF ME'S. HOW BORING!! OH AND JUST IN CASE THE PEOPLE WHO WE ARE TALKING ABOUT ARE READING THIS, I LOVE ME SOME PEANUT BUTTER AND SUGAR FREE JELLY SANDWICHES. JUST LOOK AT MY DIARY.
    I taught middle school, and I always told my students that "those who hurt, hurt." Really, they have some underlying cause there and they are in pain in some way...so it makes them feel better to take it out on others. I like your message to your kids :)
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    GEEZ O'PETE!!! First, I thought my diary was open to everyone. VERY SORRY! OMGoodness!! I am my own hypocrite. ROFL. :smokin:

I love some of the responses. Very.......insightful to say the least.

Maybe I overstated it when I said, "afraid." No matter. I now know who I will ask to friend and who not!!! :laugh: :tongue:
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    GEEZ O'PETE!!! First, I thought my diary was open to everyone. VERY SORRY! OMGoodness!! I am my own hypocrite. ROFL. :smokin:

I love some of the responses. Very.......insightful to say the least.

Maybe I overstated it when I said, "afraid." No matter. I now know who I will ask to friend and who not!!! :laugh: :tongue:

Its still not open:laugh: :laugh:
  • KimberSt
    Options
    yes, it is. :tongue:
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options

It might only be open to friends, but to everyone else, it looks closed. I can't view it. i don't want to, but the link isn't there for me to either way.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options

Nope its not
  • KimberSt
    Options
    Well, dammit, I went to my profile and fixed it. WHY isn't it taking? (Where's the smiley that blows up the computer!) LOLOL
  • SabrinaJL
    SabrinaJL Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    Mine is open. To my friends. Whose opinions I am interested in. I have zero interest in the opinions of random strangers.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    Well, dammit, I went to my profile and fixed it. WHY isn't it taking? (Where's the smiley that blows up the computer!) LOLOL
    Try going here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options

Did you change the specific food diary settings? Your profile security settings are different from food diary settings. Go into your food diary, then go to settings, and it's at the bottom of the page.
  • KimberSt
    Options
    AHA!!!!! I have found that there are TWO places to change your settings. One for the overall view and a separate one for the food diary. WHO KNEW!!!

By golly!!! I learned something new today....all by myself!!! WOOOHOOOO!!!! :drinker:

Thank you for the directions, but I found it before I saw your post.
  • ratkaj
    ratkaj Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    because i'm doing this for me... not for other people. Plain and simple!
  • gr82run
    gr82run Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Your before/after pic is amazing! Congratulations!
  • brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    I posted that I had a "cheat day" one time and got told off by some fat girl who said I need to do everything in moderation and that if I was so obsessed that I needed a cheat day that I must have an unhealthy relationship with food and needed to get help! Seriously!? I gave her a piece of my mind and unfriended her...my diary is still open, but there's so many "know-it-all's" on here that are just waiting to "educate" the rest of us morons...
  • cartern1
    cartern1 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    because i'm doing this for me... not for other people. Plain and simple!

I love your pic!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Mine's open and if people want to say stuff great.. say stuff. I'm going to take everyones opinions into consideration but at the end of the day, I ignore about 99% percent of it. Like this comment I got yesterday that said I needed to eat more at breakfast so that my body had more time to digest the food and then I wouldn't be so hungry at dinnertime or something along those lines. I exercise right before dinner.. so a lot of the time my dinner is a bit bigger.. problem? not at all, I'm still losing weight. Did I thank the person who made the comment? Yup and if at some point my weightless stalls, maybe I'll follow that advice.
  • Losingitin2011
    Losingitin2011 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I don't get that on my diary, but I've made it perfectly clear that I eat what I want, and I'm not out to rid my life of everything someone on the internet says is toxic. I think that judgement is a huge reason people don't leave their diaries open. I beat myself up well enough ALLLLLL by myself, and I'm working on that. When a stranger starts putting me down, it kind of makes me backtrack, and gives that negative part of my brain a reason to put me down.
  • kirianna55
    kirianna55 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I keep mine set to friends pnly because I don't want random people going through what I eat and Picking my diet apart. I share with people who add me and are willing to be supportive. If someone is rude, I can delete them and move on. My diet is my business but I don't mind sharing my "secrets" with them. If you want to add me you can, but don't expect me to be nice if you tear apart what I eat.
  • sagisun1969
    Options
    I have to agree that everyone has a right to privacy and if they don't want to share their diet with total strangers, they shouldn't have to. It really isn't anyone's business what I eat and I don't really care what someone else eats, except for my friends. My diary is set to 'friends only' because they won't judge me if I screw up one day....but I have seen people make un-solicited negative comments on other people's food diaries. Just because someone wants to use MFP doesn't mean they hand over all rights to privacy.
  • pkizzle7
    pkizzle7 Posts: 26
    Options
    I think having my food diary has helped keep me on track. My father and I will go back and forth about what each other has been eating. Helps keep me on track if nothing else, knowing he is checking up on me. Don't want to disappoint your parents. Right???