Why are some people afraid to leave their FOOD diary open?

Options

Replies

• Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Mine isn't closed because fear criticism - I just use it as a tool for myself so nobody needs to see it. If I need advice on what I am eating, I will happily open it, but I don't currently feel that is the case.

I'm surprised that people actually care about this.

Exactly, I feel the same way.
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    If someone wants to criticise me....go for it!!! So what? I have to answer to myself, not to them.
  • EliseMarie24
    EliseMarie24 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have seen a couple of posts about this and I think it is just silly. I started on this site only to keep track of what I eat & my calories. I didn't even become friends with anyone for a few months because it was only to keep track of myself. Those of you who put in your opinion without that person asking you is just wrong, stay out of other peoples business unless asked. Those of you who keep posting that it makes you mad, let it go because there are other things to get upset about in life that actually matter.

Just my opinion.
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize it was private by default when I first joined. I also didn't know others would care or want to see what I ate. I logged my calories for months before I made any friends or posted here. Eventually I opened mine to friends.

I think for some people it is just a personal thing. Allowing people to see everything you eat in a day, how much you do or don't exercise is pretty intimate. I don't tell my "real" friends or even family what I eat all day. So I can see leaving it private.
  • JustBreathSB
    JustBreathSB Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I have my diary open to my friends only. But in reality, it's not even their business. I just don't really care what people think about my diet. It's working for me and that's what matters. I don't know why people think it's ok to be mad that some people have private diaries. It's their own personal choice (or they don't realize it's closed). It's really not your business what anyone else is eating.
  • kayseee
    kayseee Posts: 2
    Options
    I leave mine open.
    That's what I thought this was about.
    Seeing how other people are loosing weight, and in turn, helping you figure out the best way for you to lose weight.
    But hey, that's just my view on it.
    So to those of you who obviously have way too much time on your hands, feel free to pick apart my daily diet. But do not expect me to listen to your lectures.
    I'm not here to be judged. And you're not here to judge others.
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    I have mine open. I know some of my days are better than others. I'll usually have a status note like 'I should have eaten more veggies' or 'today didn't have enough variety'. No one's perfect. :)
  • KimberSt
    KimberSt Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open.
    Seeing how other people are loosing weight, and in turn, helping you figure out the best way for you to lose weight.

THAT is the whole reason for my post. Not to be nosy, not to pick apart any diary, just to see what is working for other people so maybe I can try it and see if it will work for me.

Some people have taken offense.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    I leave mine open.

THAT is the whole reason for my post. Not to be nosy, not to pick apart any diary, just to see what is working for other people so maybe I can try it and see if it will work for me.

Some people have taken offense.

I understand where you are coming from, however I think the negative reactions were due to some of the wording, not just in the original post, but in some of the responses that were agreeing with you.

Had this been a face to face verbal discussion where tone of voice and facial expression had factored in, I think most people would have not been as offended. Unfortunately, this often happens via written communication.

It's okay. I know what you meant.
  • Painten
    Painten Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I haven't read all the posts, pretty much just bits from the first and second page.

My food diary isn't open to the public becuase i dont' actually care what people think enough to show the world what i am eating. Having a private diary makes some people mad, well tough go stickybeak at something that is your business.

The fact that the op labelled her op a rant and then said people should just ignore any critism made it less of a question and more of a complaint.
  • spiritcrusher
    spiritcrusher Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Mine is public but I don't think you want advice from a guy eating 5k calories a day.
  • littlemissanguissette
    littlemissanguissette Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Mine's public,and it can get messy in there because I tend to go through phases. I'm still learning about my body, and what works for it and doesn't work for it. Plus i'm only human, so it is naturally to slip out of control every now and then.

I think my profile is public, as well. I just don't care. If you're going to judge me by what I eat, or don't eat, or how I exercise [or don't exercise sometimes] you can just go pound sand.

When and if I ask for advice that concerns my diary or exercise log, then I'll start caring about others opinions.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    How do I open my food diary to the public???? I wouldnt mind people looking at mine but I dont know how to make it public....HELP!:happy:
  • 623Hernandez
    623Hernandez Posts: 458
    Options
    This topic makes me want to close my diary! Afraid... you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

Try; 'So many people on MFP are doing so well. I wish they would make their food diaries open because i would love to learn from them.":flowerforyou:

Not "Scaredy cats won't let me be nosey":grumble:
  • Jade_Butterfly
    Jade_Butterfly Posts: 2,963 Member
    Options
    I was slow to open mine up in the beginning, because yes people tend to play know it all or critcize, but now. .. . I really don't care . .. Mine is open for all to see. .. If I drink it is posted. . .if I eat super healthy it is posted. .. so whatever with all that!:smile:
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why some people are afraid to leave their food diary open. I, for one, would love to see what the bigger losers are eating that may help me change my ways. I don't care how many calories you eat OR don't eat in a day. That part is your business. I just want to see maybe what I am doing wrong, if anything.

Are they afraid of criticism? Understood, but you can choose to ignore the criticism.

Sorry....just my little rant.

I'm off my soapbox now and back in my corner. ; )

I dont see why you care so much?
  • AshDHart
    AshDHart Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    This topic makes me want to close my diary! Afraid... you get more bees with honey than vinegar.

Try; 'So many people on MFP are doing so well. I wish they would make their food diaries open because i would love to learn from them.":flowerforyou:

Not "Scaredy cats won't let me be nosey":grumble:

^ This!

As far as why do some choice to leave their food diary closed? The keyword is "their". It's their diary to do with as they please it's not my diary.
  • Stephanieb325
    Stephanieb325 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I eat weird things like people so I don't want other people seeing the people that I have eaten... they might not want to be my friends anymore :ohwell:
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I eat weird things like people so I don't want other people seeing the people that I have eaten... they might not want to be my friends anymore :ohwell:
    I say, "Keep your friends close and your people eaters closer." Maybe I ought to rethink what I say.
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options
    Maybe people are afraid of criticism? Or more accurately, don't want others to know what they are/aren't doing? Something I noticed today just looking at a few food diaries of friends.......some of them are losing weight by eating two small meals a day. First off, that's not a great choice. Secondly, they're eating NO fruits or vegetables. And seem not to have touched a fruit or vegetable for months. Again.........not healthy.

Hmmmm ok so on second thought maybe people are not sharing their diaries because they're afraid of me coming after them about eating fruits and veggies?! Haha.